• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Gonna say it again for the last time. Halfway, I felt walking out.
Don't waste your time and money in this movie. I warned you

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Gonna say it again for the last time. Halfway, I felt walking out.
Don't waste your time and money in this movie. I warned you

That sucks, but thanks for this. I am driving 1h to go the movies on Friday, and was planning on seeing this and Shazam.

Looks like it won't be a double feature after all!

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Still gonna watch it this weekend and enjoy it for the dumb, gory action.

Most reviewers hated Venom and The Predator (to name a few films with bad reviews) yet I still enjoyed them, despite having some big flaws.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
I don't understand the movie business. The Ron Perlman movies are great and fans love them. They're almost genre classics. Perlman made the character come to life, Blair was phenomenal and the cast had chemistry.

That wasn't even that long ago. Why make this? Who thought this would go well? The idea should have been laughed at.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Holy shit that RT summary is brutal

Screenshot_20190410-202956_Chrome.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't understand the movie business. The Ron Perlman movies are great and fans love them. They're almost genre classics. Perlman made the character come to life, Blair was phenomenal and the cast had chemistry.

That wasn't even that long ago. Why make this? Who thought this would go well? The idea should have been laughed at.

The fans did mostly love them, the problem was there wasn't enough fans, as they didn't really make much money at the box office sadly, a reason why the 3rd movie didn't happen.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP may not have to update the title, cause I don't think "no score" will be very far off from the aggregate.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a shame. The last Hellboy is one of my favorite comic book movies, and David Harbour is great. Such a waste.

Oct 26, 2017
The fans did mostly love them, the problem was there wasn't enough fans, as they didn't really make much money at the box office sadly, a reason why the 3rd movie didn't happen.
I blame it moreso on them being overshadowed by much bigger tent poles.

The first one came out in the same summer as Spider-Man 2, while Golden Army came out the same summer as Dark Knight.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
So I've got a few questions relating to comic stuff for anyone who's watched it:
  • Do they go into gruagach's backstory at all?
  • Is queen mab in this?
  • Does Morgan la Faye show up?
  • Does Nimue get transformed into a monstrous looking dragon at the end?
  • Does Hellboy give one of his eyes to the Baba Yaga?
  • Does Edward Grey show up? (I can't imagine he does)
  • Does Hellboy get the Iron Raven sword or does he just use Excalibur to kill Nimue?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm anxious to see it tomorrow. I never put much fate into RT cause there are a lot of movies that got awful reviews that were amazing.

Also, I have a friend who writes reviews and he has issue with RT because they force critics to paint things as black or white. No middle ground, so a movie could be fun but not amazing or just alright but gets a negative score because they HAD to pick a side.

Not saying this will be a masterpiece, I'm not even convinced he is the right Hellboy, but I have a feeling there will be some cool/fun stuff to see.

This isn't a 50% movie that is divisive. Its sounds like just about everyone thinks its not only a bad movie but think its actively terrible.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, that first trailer did not evoke high hopes but this is a bummer.
And I did not love Del Toro's take either, especially the second film.

"If [Zack] Snyder directed a Hellboy reboot with the budget of an episode of The Walking Dead, it'd be this." - a text from a friend of mine who caught a screening.

Big fucking yikes, folks.

Wow

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still gonna watch it this weekend and enjoy it for the dumb, gory action.

Most reviewers hated Venom and The Predator (to name a few films with bad reviews) yet I still enjoyed them, despite having some big flaws.

There's a huge difference between a film that's "good/fun bad" and "offensively bad".

The two films you mention fall into the former category. This seems to fall into the latter category.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, for example, was horrendously offensive. It was THAT bad. Judging from the trailer, this is no different.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
A friend of mine wants me to watch it with him tomorrow. He's offering to pay my ticket and I still don't wanna go. I really liked the Del Toro movies so I just know I'm gonna hate this.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The OP caused this movie to Trinkle Out.

So I've got a few questions relating to comic stuff for anyone who's watched it:
  • Do they go into gruagach's backstory at all?
  • Is queen mab in this?
  • Does Morgan la Faye show up?
  • Does Nimue get transformed into a monstrous looking dragon at the end?
  • Does Hellboy give one of his eyes to the Baba Yaga?
  • Does Edward Grey show up? (I can't imagine he does)
  • Does Hellboy get the Iron Raven sword or does he just use Excalibur to kill Nimue?

Your post reminds me that a Cuchullain or Slaine Movie (the former is free to license) would be amazing if Guillermo leaned into it mad hard.

Also, call it "Cullan's Hound" so everyone can eventually pronounce it.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My cousin saw a cut 4 months ago, she said the release version is the same cut! She doesn't understand why they didn't change anything and she's glad she didn't spend money on this train wreck.

What a shitty reboot when the franchise didn't need one.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like this is overstating things a bit :lol But even still the last one underperformed and the studio wouldn't give del Toro the budget he wanted for a third.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
This isn't a 50% movie that is divisive. Its sounds like just about everyone thinks its not only a bad movie but think its actively terrible.

It's stunning anyone could be delusional enough to see what is currently 45 reviews, 5 of which are considered positive (one of which is a 4/10) and think this is anywhere near a "some love it some hate it". Everyone hates it, one out of 10 thinks it just might not be the worst film they see in the year

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
At least David Harbour's face isn't really attached to this

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Not gonna lie, out of all the movies coming out in a 1-2 month radius, this did look the worst out of all of them. From the first trailer I wasn't in for this but I never wanted this to be THIS bad. This fucking sucks man, I did like the old Hellboys too.

Hopefully Godzilla & Detective Pikachu don't disappoint. I know Endgame won't and Spider-Man: FFH is gonna probably be great too.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
damn...this is not sparking joy

really didn't think my boy would get another go at it, looks like this could again be it for a while? to be honest, i'd be cool with just a few more animated ones (ideally with perlman still voicing)

Poop franchise produces more poop. No shocked after how awful that first trailer was.

shintokis! how you been
also the franchise itself is great! this might not be though

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
Sounds like it has Blade Trinity syndrome. Blade 2 and Hellboy 1 and 2 work (and in my opinion, work very well) because yeah, they're dumb comic action flicks, but they're directed by a maestro. If you take away the maestro you're just left with...dumb comic action flicks. Which is okay, if they're at least fun, but it looks like this film is anything but

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking ooph. Not that the trailer inspired much confidence but those reviews paint the movie as a atrocious mess, and not even a funny one at that.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Even just the review blurbs are brutal.

I thought this movie would be crap but this sounds not just mediocre but terrible.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So far I have skipped Shazam, Pet Sematary and will probably skip this. Maybe I will see Shazam after all. April is turning out a bust. Endgame really better deliver.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Shame. This looked bad but I've liked some of Marshall's past work. I'm also someone who loves the Hellboy comics and doesn't think del Toro's films were particularly good or faithful, so I was hoping to see that rectified.