• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's why the switch conversion was so spectacular for me originally...i thought QLOC had done something pretty insane and clever to get a game like this running without much cutback in regards to the core graphic pipline and the clear budget buster of the project(the motion capture and realistic character model) , but the answer was the most simple and basic out of the things i was expecting..

its like hearing Capcom say "we're porting RE7 to the switch!", I'm like holy crap, but the game does run at 60 on other consoles, did you cap the FPS to 30, readjust the rendering pipel- and capcom just cuts us off with "but its streamed".

I get the realities of the situation, but specifically in regards to marveling about technical optimizations and things like that, it just takes all the fun and wonder out of it IMO

Streaming the whole game is not comparable to cutscene videos though and i think it's well implemented. They probably could have done those scenes realtime with lower resolution which wouldn't have looked as good as it looks now.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
i thought the ps2 original editions of Final Fantasy games like FFX showcased this really well, going straight from real time cutscene straight to FMV video without skipping or loading and back again. Up until that point, loading prerendered cut scenes in my experience had always been a fairly obvious affair
I'll have to check that out for sure

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
That's why the switch conversion was so spectacular for me originally...i thought QLOC had done something pretty insane and clever to get a game like this running without much cutback in regards to the core graphic pipline and the clear budget buster of the project(the motion capture and realistic character model) , but the answer was the most simple and basic out of the things i was expecting..

I'm completely with you on this. While the transition from real-time to FMV shouldn't be an issue for most players on the Switch. For me, this cutback does somewhat take away from the technical accomplishment I had naively assumed a few days back.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm completely with you on this. While the transition from real-time to FMV shouldn't be an issue for most players on the Switch. For me, this cutback does somewhat take away from the technical accomplishment I had naively assumed a few days back.

I think it is very clever, an advancement of what Final Fantasy was doing in blurring FMV with gameplay way back. It is, fundamentally, a technical achievement in that sense.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That footage of Portable mode

tenor.gif

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
i thought the ps2 original editions of Final Fantasy games like FFX showcased this really well, going straight from real time cutscene straight to FMV video without skipping or loading and back again. Up until that point, loading prerendered cut scenes in my experience had always been a fairly obvious affair
Final Fantasy 8 had a lot of these. You were still in full control too during several of the prerendered cutscenes. I thought that was really impressive back then.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is impressive as hell. Too bad I'm a little short on the monies. Might get next month.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Amazing port. Awesome Job by the studio. I hope they can fix the frame passing as John said.

Awesome job as always Dark1x !

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Full motion videos instead of real-time cutscenes is a dealbreaker for me, but I suppose it was for compression and to mitigate loading between maps.
I'd bet it's because a lot of the games cutscenes rely on the performance of Senuas actress. And that is portrayed through finely detailed animation and rendering (with a heavy dose of intensive effects) which likely couldn't be done justice on the Switch in a seamless way.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
UE4 runs "only" 900p on ps4 because it requires 4TF of gpu to run at 1080p if I'm not wrong.

Just so you don't get people looking at your sideways in the future, game engines don't work this way re: being a fixed value required to run at a given resolution. You can make generalizations/estimations about GPU needs for specific titles, but low-level things like the engine itself don't usually determine it. UE4 specifically is so flexible, it wouldn't be a good example, anyway.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
That sound thing they noted in the video sounds like my TV does when I have surround turned off on the TV but have it turned on in the Switch settings. The sounds just fade away when they go to a surround channel that's deactivated.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Looks pretty rough across the board to me. Serviceable docked, but pretty atrocious in portable mode. The solution to maintain decent visuals in cut-scenes is good though. I think as is the case with most switch ports, if you're playing with no knowledge of the other versions, you'll likely be happy. Ignorance is bliss after all. But if you've played any of the other versions its a bit disappointing.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
How is it misleading when they state that fact early in the video ? lol
Because it's a thumbnail, . Do you think most people would assume that a thumbnail comparison for a graphic comparison video would think that they're 'clearly' comparing prerendered video to real-time graphics?
I know they say it in the video, that's how I know lol. I'm just talking about the thumbnail.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Honestly I think people overlook fighterz because of its artstyle. It gets my nod. I play it almost daily and all the effects and everything going on and a rock solid 60fps and full HD.

Well you have to seperate graphics from art style TBH. The rendering load is completely different despite both Arc System works games and NRS games being visually impressive. Guilty Gear Xrd was created for ps3 hardware after all, so the rendering pipline isnt very harsh on the hardware at all to start.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Would have to be a beast. It's not even holding 720p in docked here. It's impressive for handheld but not so much docked IMO.

The docked Switch only boost the GPU speed by 2x, so you have to consider that when you consider how much a game can be enchanted in that mode.
Looks pretty rough across the board to me. Serviceable docked, but pretty atrocious in portable mode. The solution to maintain decent visuals in cut-scenes is good though. I think as is the case with most switch ports, if you're playing with no knowledge of the other versions, you'll likely be happy. Ignorance is bliss after all. But if you've played any of the other versions its a bit disappointing.

It is my impression that the majority of the people who did play the original will be amazed that the game looks as good as it is on the portable console.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The cut-scenes being all FMV explains a lot. Still an impressive achievement in a way but a much more understandable one.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
The cut-scenes being all FMV explains a lot. Still an impressive achievement in a way but a much more understandable one.

they are rerendered to match the games graphical settings. So it isn't like there's a ton of difference between them but obviously they are at a set full 720p resolution.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I have Steam, but I still got the Switch version simply because it's one of the few games really pushing the system to its limits.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Really impressive stuff there. I think QLOC made a lot of smart decisions on porting over such an graphically intense game to such a small platform. Lots of care went into making sure the art direction is retained despite the pared back visuals and the FMVs were a smart call on their part in order to make sure Hellblade's biggest moments aren't crippled by the Switch's weaker hardware.

That port definitely was no easy task for them, but I think they did a fantastic job in retaining the experience despite the massive gap in hardware strength between what the game was developed for and what this port is running on.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Full motion videos instead of real-time cutscenes is a dealbreaker for me, but I suppose it was for compression and to mitigate loading between maps.

...why is this a deal breaker? They're literally non-interactive scenes. The experience is identical.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
There's fluctuation on both machines, less so on the One X. Frame-pacing isn't really an issue if you're in fluctuating between 50 to 60fps.
XBOX mostly does hit 60fps but PS4Pro doesn't maintain 60fps nearly as consistently. Also it runs much lower res for that mode (usually 900p, even lower than base PS4 usually), if you want 1440p dynamic you're looking at 30-40fps with worse judder than Switch even.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
XBOX mostly does hit 60fps but PS4Pro doesn't maintain 60fps nearly as consistently.

I know, you're repeating what I said earlier.

Also it runs much lower res for that mode (usually 900p, even lower than base PS4 usually), if you want 1440p dynamic you're looking at 30-40fps with worse judder than Switch even.

Sacrificing resolution for a 60fps option can only be a good thing. Neither is ideal, but I prefer unlocked frame-rate over wonky frame pacing.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
looks dreadful honestly, huge hit on texture quality and crazy blurry

Yeah I get that it's impressive by the standards of the hardware they're working with but I have no idea why anyone would want to play it like this when literally every other version of it is objectively better from a performance and presentation standpoint. Losing the lighting quality is understandable but tremendously compromising. It does not look good.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I know, you're repeating what I said earlier.
I'mjust adding more information. The XBOX version rarely drops below 60fps while PS4Pro rarely maintains it. PS4Pro still studders at choke points too, it's not as smooth.

Sacrificing resolution for a 60fps option can only be a good thing. Neither is ideal, but I prefer unlocked frame-rate over wonky frame pacing.
I mean, sure but 900p average res for PS4 Pro? And that's not the floor either, it can drop even lower. In the high res mode the judder is terrible too, again this doesn't seem to be something only impacting Switch but all versions.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
But the frame rate is a pretty consistent 30fps.

Hellblade has terrible frame pacing on every console except Xbox One X.

I thought they rolled out a patch to fix it (or at least on the high resolution PS4 pro mode)

Haven't seen this DF video yet, so apologies if it says different.

Last edited: