• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'm curious as to what sort of game Hellblade II will end up being. I'm kind of hoping for another short narrative focused experience but I think it's more likely it'll be scaled up to a larger action game akin to God of War or Gears. I guess "Saga" is a hint to that direction.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious as to what sort of game Hellblade II will end up being. I'm kind of hoping for another short narrative focused experience but I think it's more likely it'll be scaled up to a larger action game akin to God of War or Gears. I guess "Saga" is a hint to that direction.

I hope it's the same length of the first. I love that game so much!

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nicee.isnt unreal engine 5 out 2021 for devs to use ? So the game release can't be also 2021 right ? Since they will have access to the engine 2021. Or I m missing something ??

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
they most likely had a delay due to covid since they could not do mocap for awhile

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Nicee.isnt unreal engine 5 out 2021 for devs to use ? So the game release can't be also 2021 right ? Since they will have access to the engine 2021. Or I m missing something ??
They probably have access earlier. But still the game is early in development. So 2022 is alot more realistic.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
this game was UE5 since we saw it, you dont grab a game mid production and change Engine version let alone the actual engine + the trailer matched a lot of the tech we saw in the eventual reveal of the engine (and we know they were working close with epic for this)
The game probably saw a delay due to covid specifically any mocap stuff they still had to do

I know epic said it should be an easier transition but so is moving UE4 version and you dont really want to be doing that regardless unless your ass is still in pre pro, last thing anyone wants is to move versions across X amount of computers and fix everything that breaks due to the change
This isn't true. You don't have to be upgrading your engine version throughout development but you also don't lock your version at the start. Also Unreal 5 is just a major update to Unreal 4. Transferring your game over if you have been using the latest version of Unreal 4 shouldn't be super difficult unless you are making major customizations to the engine yourself.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
They probably have access earlier. But still the game is early in development. So 2022 is alot more realistic.

And, I have to say it clearly uses all the features in that video outlined in the ps5-ue5 demo, and that demo put to rest that it was not just using ue5 already, but they clearly have it tuned to work with the xbox ssd.

Am I off on this?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
if you're a big enough dev, you can get it early. 2021 release is just the public release
They are working on a pre-release build of UE5, so can test early which is good news.
Great thanks guys . Good to know they have early access

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
That initial reveal was nuts with what Ninja Theory is capable of doing with the motion capture in particular, and I can't wait to see what they do with this game on Series X with Unreal Engine 5.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
It was on Unreal 4 before right? Wonder if switching engined is easy or hard, unreal to unreal.
Epic said the transition is easy and Fortnite will move to UE5 next year. But let's be serious here Epic wouldn't say the transition is hard. Not saying this is the case, but I guess the proof is in the pudding. I am very much looking forward to UE5 games like Hellblade.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Do people who's played Hellblade find it a bit odd so many people now are hyped for this sequel? I have a feeling it's more down to it being a next gen showcase than the game itself, because an adventure-horror game about self-hatred, depression, schizophrenia, grief, limited combat, and Norse mythology, isn't exactly the easiest game to sell to a broad audience. I loved the first game, it was #2 as my GOTY but that's because those themes and more experimental games are my jam.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
It does help explain why there was so much geometric detail in some of the shots of the trailer.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Do people who's played Hellblade find it a bit odd so many people now are hyped for this sequel? I have a feeling it's more down to it being a next gen showcase than the game itself, because an adventure-horror game about self-hatred, depression, schizophrenia, grief, limited combat, and Norse mythology, isn't exactly the easiest game to sell to a broad audience. I loved the first game, it was #2 as my GOTY but that's because those themes and more experimental games are my jam.
It's exactly the type of game Xbox lacks. It's perfect for honing in on gamers who want narrative driven action games.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
UE5 is getting public beta release early next year so its very possible that a few studios will have access earlier than that. Epic might in fact work with some devs to showcase the engine through their game.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
unless you are making major customizations to the engine yourself.
which every studio at that level does, no one is making Gears 5 for example with stock unreal.

Also you very much do want to decide what engine and what version you want to use at the start, having everyone on the same page, all systems loaded and ready saved a ton of time and effort which for companies just means wasted money

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm one of those who thought the game didn't need a sequel and it successfully wrapped up it's themes and story in the first game. However if Ninja Theory is passionate and confident they have more to explore in a bigger game then any worries I had are put to rest and I can't wait to see more.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I mean the original game was hyped by most every media outlet and gamers were super positive too. Why wouldn't people be hyped especially when there's so much potential to expand what the game is?

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it wasnt a ''real'' confirmation tho, he was referring to XBOX Games overral, but the Hellblade 2 there already indicate that the game was supossed to be in UE5.
Very exciting! Hoping to see gameplay in the July event.

Are the bats and water moving at half frame rate or something? They look weird.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
which every studio at that level does, no one is making Gears 5 for example with stock unreal.

Also you very much do want to decide what engine and what version you want to use at the start, having everyone on the same page, all systems loaded and ready saved a ton of time and effort which for companies just means wasted money
So you are saying that a major triple A developer will not upgrade their version of Unreal during a 3 to 4 year development cycle? That's nonsense.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
This just proves people need to stop using that trailer footage as actual gameplay representation.

The game is years away.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I think epic said UE5 is launching next year. That means that Hellblade II is several years away.

The Ps5 and Series X are launching this year. You think that means that's the same time developers get their hands on the hardware?

Ninja Theory will already have preliminary builds of UE5 if not by now, but relatively soon.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Expected.
The game was always supposed to launch in 2021 at the earliest and by then UE5 will be available; Epic promised a completely smooth transition, so barring major unexpected bugs and glitches after migration, I would imagine every UE game in 2021 to launch running on 5 and benefit from it, even when the majority of the development was done on UE4.

I just wonder if NT (or any other developer) was aware UE5 was coming and were they already targeting UE5 features and the level of fidelity it allows, or will they have to readjust and maybe upgrade to take advantage of the new engine.

The trailer did seem to target features beyond UE4.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

I think the sequel will be more broad audience and much more ambitious and will benefit big marketing thanks to MS.

But yeah the first one is really intimate and niche.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
The Ps5 and Series X are launching this year. You think that means that's the same time developers get their hands on the hardware?

Ninja Theory will already have preliminary builds of UE5 if not by now, but relatively soon.
It means they are still in very early development. Also hardware access has nothing to do with UE5 builds.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
If they said that's in engine then people have every right to compare it to what the game will look like.

Compare, absolutely. And compare they will.

The point is, people keep bringing Hellblade 2 up as proof of what Series X is capable of, but like I said many times before, no one ever clearly stated it was realtime, running on Series X.

And there it is. It's a cinematic, rendered in UE4 (which can work as any other offline rendering software) on who knows what hardware, which took who knows how many seconds to output each frame.
It's a target render, we'll see what the final game ends up looking like. It might get close, it might surpass it (uhmm) but as of now that trailer means nothing.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Playground's RPG (Fable) is on Unreal right? Or at least I remember job listings indicating that.

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Hellblade II will use Unreal Engine 5 according to a Phil Spencer tweet

Edit: thread tittle change requested to the MOD team, I misread the Phil tweet: Here is the tweet we still need to see more confirmation from the developers but this pretty much says it, this also shows that more Xbox Game Studios teams are using UE5 what do you think?

ATOMICJORGE redeemed! :p

There are those who said this day would never come, What are they to say now?

HAHAHA I knew it! thanks for the heads up bro you made my day!

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
So you are saying that a major triple A developer will not upgrade their version of Unreal during a 3 to 4 year development cycle? That's nonsense.
considering pre pro will be at least 1 of those years meaning they actually wouldn't upgrade to a new version for 2 yearsish? yea

deciding what engine and version you are using is a pretty important part of pre pro. You are asking for a mess if you go around moving from different engine releases let alone straight up moving engine while still making the game, there are ways to go around it to lessen the mess and move up but its time consuming and depending on the studio is probably spent better working on the actual game, gets harder as the project goes on too.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why people are worried a sequel is coming. I doubt NT and even more Taheem is gonna make a sequel if they dont have a great idea for it.
Its not that NT even makes alot of sequels or even at all. So they probably have confidence what they can do.

Dec 8, 2018

Yeah I am also stocked about people getting so excited about HB2 because I loved the setting of the first one but also very confusing since while it was very much up my alley it certainly was no ordinary AAA Action adventure game. Will be interesting to see what they do with this one.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Platform warring across multiple posts
Still has to keep Base Xbox One specs in mind, don't think it'll be as graphically impressive as people are expecting

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean? didn't Booty say all their games will be cross gen for at least 2 years

No. He never said "at least". He said in november 2019 "1 or 2 years" But this has been said many times already and people still bring it up.
But doesnt matter in the end. Hellblade is only announced for Series X atm as "build from the ground up" and we expect Hellblade to be a 2022 title also.