• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 17, 2018
Hell-is-Us-announced-1024x576.jpg

Developed by Rogue Factor, but, this team is led by the previous art-director from Deus Ex: Human Revolution/Mankind Divided, and Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy in (I think) his first directing role. 2023 on PC (Epic and Steam), PS5, and XBX/S. Summary below:

Hell is Us is a third-person action-adventure game set in a semi-open world where the main character sets out to learn more about his past in a country ravaged by civil war. The almost total self-sufficiency of the country hides a dark secret: the recent appearance of supernatural creatures resembling ancient headstones and monuments in the region. The citizens call this phenomenon "the Calamity". Armed with weapons specially forged to fight these monsters, the protagonist must learn how to defeat them and use his equipment wisely.

Hell is Us is a game in a new genre, one where players explore environments to find information all by themselves. "Our goal with Hell is Us is to bring back true adventure and exploration," said Jonathan Jacques-Belletête, Creative Director on the project. "There's no need for a detailed quest log or precise waypoint on the map: we want players to feel the thrill of adventure, guided by their feelings and instincts."

Second paragraph feels a bit too much like capitalizing on the current Elden Ring hype, but, hey, maybe they can pull it off too!

And, y'all ,this trailer is cool as hell. Big old' honkin' Death Stranding vibes all over the place.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Like other than color choice (the only Death Stranding I get) is just looks like a Souls game initially, some gameplay would help I guess.

Jan 11, 2018
Doesn't look very DS to me.

Anyhow, I dig the vibe for sure, cool audiovisuals. Not a big fan of the VA and camera flips are annoying as hell.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Looks interesting. Kinda like Death Stranding in terms of premise and weirdness but less cringe.

Need to see gameplay.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hell is Us is a game in a new genre, one where players explore environments to find information all by themselves. "Our goal with Hell is Us is to bring back true adventure and exploration," said Jonathan Jacques-Belletête, Creative Director on the project. "There's no need for a detailed quest log or precise waypoint on the map: we want players to feel the thrill of adventure, guided by their feelings and instincts."
oh am I in.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the trailer felt a bit disparate to me, like it was 2 or 3 different games shown. hard to really see how the elements mesh together

OP
OP
DailyCalmSpirit
May 17, 2018
I guess I should say, it has Big Death Stranding Early Trailer Vibes rather than the final Death Stranding we actually got.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Sounds cool and I like the aesthetic a lot. Will need to see some gameplay tho. I'm all for games taking inspiration from Elden ring tho! Please give me elaborate open worlds even if smaller instead of checklist open worlds. I'm so over checklist open worlds.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Ooof. I love the aesthetic but being published by a sketchy pub like Nacon is a no go for me.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Nacon titles (apart from the publisher sucking ass) are usually pretty interesting, if super janky.

But that second paragraph

Kudos on using the wankiest wording to describe your inevitably janky ass game.

"There's no need for a detailed quest log or precise waypoint because both will glitch out after 2 minutes of gameplay"

Jan 29, 2018
The pan over the weird ceramic-looking bodies as well as the machine sitting on your character's shoulder felt very Death Stranding. The big-ass sword, not so much. I'm curious to see gameplay.

Cheat Code

Oct 30, 2017
All of Rogue Factor's previous output has been absolute dogshit so a CG trailer with a pretentious-ass description does not inspire confidence.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Their last two games were necromunda underhive wars and mordheim. Both 3rd person tactical rpgs. And they were both pretty underwhelming and bottom tier Warhammer games.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So I can expect a full wiki page and about 500 "Ten things you HAVE TO DO ASAP in Hell is Us!!!" youtube guides plus of course streamers finding every secret day 1 right?

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds ambitious, but obviously the proof will be in the pudding, as it were. The team's credentials aren't enough for me to go off of at this stage.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I remember that dev, he promoted Eidos Montreal games on E3 and other gaming shows. Big guy with tattoos.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017