• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Big mistake assuming he can actually play baseball well enough to get to a second contract. Baseball is fsf safer, guaranteed money, and a longer career. Also his bust risk in the NFL is kind of high.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Ya I think he made the wrong decision... granted he'll probably be a top 10 pick this year and guarantee himself a 20+ million payday, whereas he'd need to have a successful 5+ year career in the MLB to make that kind of money. That being said, I don't think he will have long term success in the NFL based on his height alone. The number of successful 5'10" or shorter QBs is very low, while in baseball, height doesn't play as much as a factor in success. Not to mention the long-term health concerns of CTE that comes with playing football.

Dr_LawyerCop

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
If he bombs out of the NFL MLB will still take him in a heartbeat so go on fam

He'd get another opportunity, yeah, but his chance of a successful baseball career deminish rapidly every year he's away from the game. It's probably a smart move for him. He'll make more money as a first round pick. Baseball has guaranteed contacts but the big money would be years away, if he ever managed to develop.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Simply declaring for the draft doesn't mean he has forgone the MLB. He can declare for the draft now within his MLB contract. He has until the start of spring training (in the next few weeks) to make a final determination as he'd have to leave spring training early to go to the NFL combine which is not in his contract presently.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
imagine choosing CTE over guaranteed contracts.

He's only guaranteed 5 million right now. Then he's in the trenches of the minor leagues for a few years at least making jack shit and then has to play at league minimum in the MLB for a couple more years before he can see that big baseball money. This is all assuming he's good enough to even make it that far.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I understand his choice of making more money up front but I don't think he should give up on MLB for the NFL.

He was a top 10 pick in the 1st round of the MLB draft.

Usually when you are picked that high you don't languish in the minor leagues for years. He would have probably been in the minors for 2-3 years and then called up and been in the majors.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
If he proves to be a starter in the NFL, with the cap continually escalating, he'll get a 5yr $150M contract in 4 years. With the way the league protects QBs, he can play into his 40s. If he busts out, baseball will still take him back, too.

All that said, he should play whichever one he likes best. Fuck all the numbers and logic.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't currently look up tweets right now, but yesterday Ken Rosenthal mentioned that the A's could sign him to a major league deal, so that he gets paid as much as he would if he went to mlb now. Something like a $15 million contract, plus his signing bonus he got last year.

I think he'll stick with baseball, since he really does look too small for the NFL, but who knows.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
He won't be a top 10 football pick. However, as a QB likely to get picked in the 1st round, he'll get paid sooner since ML players make jack shit besides their signing bonus.

It's why I hate the Wilson comparisons. Russ has two inches on Kyler and is built like a tank.

He'd get another opportunity, yeah, but his chance of a successful baseball career deminish rapidly every year he's away from the game. It's probably a smart move for him. He'll make more money as a first round pick. Baseball has guaranteed contacts but the big money would be years away, if he ever managed to develop.

There are reports of the A's/MLB working to give him a major league contract.

Murray, the Heisman Trophy-winning Oklahoma quarterback who was a first-round draft pick of the Oakland A's, is in the process of deciding which sport to play and reportedly wants $15 million to play baseball.

Under normal circumstances, that wouldn't fly: Major League Baseball (like the NFL) has rules that prevent recently drafted players and teams from renegotiating contracts. But Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that MLB is willing to allow the A's to negotiate a lucrative big-league contract for Murray, if that's what it takes to get him to play baseball.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
I don't know how anyone that is talented enough to play both sports would ever think of playing football over baseball. The money, not getting CTE and being able to play till your 38 - 41 is enough reason to choose it over football.

On a side note, if he does choose the nfl .... the A's pretty much got screwed out of their first round pick huh?

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
He will make more money as a first round QB than he likely would in his entire MLB career, so its a smart gamble
It takes forever to get a baseball mega-deal, and there's a long way from draft to all-star

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Possible starter for a desperate NFL team and more $ playing a sport you enjoy more and are better at vs sitting in the minor leagues despite being a high draft pick in MLB. I wonder which offer sounds more enticing...

slabrock

Oct 25, 2017
All it takes is for one team in the top 10 to fall in love with him and he will be loaded. Especially if he does well that second contract would be insane.

Oct 31, 2017
As much as I love the MLB and they are definitely starving for superstars, there's no guarantee he will be. With how well he performed at OU, his ceiling may be higher in the NFL. Talking heads are already bringing up his history with Kliff and how they may dump Rosen for him.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how anyone that is talented enough to play both sports would ever think of playing football over baseball. The money, not getting CTE and being able to play till your 38 - 41 is enough reason to choose it over football.

On a side note, if he does choose the nfl .... the A's pretty much got screwed out of their first round pick huh?
They will get at leas a supplemental draft pick next year

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
giphy.gif

DrDarkStryfe

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
No idea how you can look at the direction MLB is going with contracts and choose them. It's six years before a player has any control over their value, and player contracts are going down.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a slow death but yes. Participation rates in youth/highschool football is declining. So eventually the talent pool dries up. The NFL as an organization has proven to be very bad at solving the biggest problems it has faced so I don't expect them to deal with saftey that makes parents ok with letting the kids play

Chicken Wing

Banned
Apr 17, 2018
People need to calm down. Murray is only doing this so the Athletics will give him more money. He has absolutely ZERO intentions of playing football at this time.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever takes him as a first rounder is making a mistake unless he changes positions to a safety or something.

His frame is maxed out, he's not going to be able to take the beating his style of play demands.