• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

Gundam Wing was wild. It's been ages and ages since I've watched it and I've wanted to watch it again, then youtube shows me this.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With a fancy gun that has long forgotten the meaning of battle, I would feel no emotion, even if I were to shoot an enemy right through the heart

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
I must be losing my mind cause I could swear this was a thread recently already....oh well maybe just a post.
Anyway, I wish I could watch this again somewhere. The french dub was surprisingly good.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
right after I watched this last night

Relena makes more sense as a chick with a death fetish

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
Wing has somehow aged well and incredibly poorly all at the same time. Some of the dialogue is just mad.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Worst part of Wing is the middle part where Wing Zero gets passed around the cast like a bad STD.

The OPs are hype as hell though.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

Also is it just me or do a lot of the dub voices sound way too old for the characters. Duo for example sounds 7 years older than he should be.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
you should rewatch it OP because it's bizarre nonsense the whole way through. the way every female character is defined entirely by their relationship to a male character (including one developing a split personality because the guy she's trying to peg says he likes her when she puts on her fake ass nice persona for meetings), the way the main characters are just, like, straight up terrorists (there's this scene where purple haired commander is talking to Not!Char about how she trains all her teenage military cadets to value life and not kill needlessly or throw their lives away and then one of the hero characters shows up and starts blowing up said teens while they sleep), the way Relena becomes Queen of Earth for like two episodes. Nothing makes sense, time randomly jumps forward with no grounding, character motivations flip on a dime... it's wild.

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
I gave it a re-watch 7 years ago or so and the first 10 episodes are painfully bad. While it improved, it's not aged well.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
also a conversation y'all aren't ready to have is that Xenogears borrows a lot more from Gundam Wing than it does Evangelion

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
never liked gundam wing, but i started re-watching inuyasha (i bring it up cause they were around roughly around the same time), and man, it's honestly a shame what it became cause the first 50 episodes or so are legit good

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
also a conversation y'all aren't ready to have is that Xenogears borrows a lot more from Gundam Wing than it does Evangelion

"A lot more" is quite the stretch, but yeah, it cribbed pretty much any mecha show with biblical imagery. It's amazing how much better it turned out than either inspiration, though. Can't help but wonder how different Xenogears would have been if it had been developed after RahXephon. :D

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I must be losing my mind cause I could swear this was a thread recently already....oh well maybe just a post.
Anyway, I wish I could watch this again somewhere. The french dub was surprisingly good.
Youtube's algo really has a visible effect on public discourse all at once.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Worst part of Wing is the middle part where Wing Zero gets passed around the cast like a bad STD.

The OPs are hype as hell though.

The worst part is when the gundams all get upgrades that make them look worse.

Deathscythe gets weird wings and a shorter scythe with two blades on the same end, thus negating the purpose of a second blade.
Altron is just shenlong with two impractical stretchy arms and a gun turret...which negates the need for stretchy arms.
Zero is like the wing gundam but chunkier.
Heavyarms gets another barrell on its main gun...and nothing else.
Sandrock gets a handgun.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God I hated what I saw of Wing, absolutely every single main character aside from, I think Duo is his name, was horrible, but they gave him the shitty edgelord gundam and I just couldn't take that shit. Dropped the show mostly because of how boring Heero and irritating Relena was, but basically everything about it was awful.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the show is pretty silly and I always remember that moment for how insane it was.

Also while both openings are awesome, the ending was some weird thing with Relena's African safari or something.

I watched it a few years back and I think what struck me was that it kind of meanders quite a bit with things. I feel you could cut chunks out of it to slim things down.

Oct 27, 2017
I watched Awing recently and was floored at how awful it was. The plot made no sense and seemed like it was written in broad strokes without trying to have anything fit together.

I the mech designs and animation are good, but otherwise 00 does this whole concept way better.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Wing so much as a kid. I rewatched it last year knowing it wasn't going to have aged well but man it was still really rough. The dialogue is just bizarre — characters frequently sound like they're having independent conversations and aren't actually responding to what each other is saying. The show is serious drama for 14 year olds.

Great soundtrack though. And Epyon is still one of my favorite Gundam designs.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
you should rewatch it OP because it's bizarre nonsense the whole way through. the way every female character is defined entirely by their relationship to a male character (including one developing a split personality because the guy she's trying to peg says he likes her when she puts on her fake ass nice persona for meetings), the way the main characters are just, like, straight up terrorists (there's this scene where purple haired commander is talking to Not!Char about how she trains all her teenage military cadets to value life and not kill needlessly or throw their lives away and then one of the hero characters shows up and starts blowing up said teens while they sleep), the way Relena becomes Queen of Earth for like two episodes. Nothing makes sense, time randomly jumps forward with no grounding, character motivations flip on a dime... it's wild.

It was the Gundam that ran side-by-side with the Frieza Saga of Dragonball Z on Toonami. I'm convinced this is the only reason that it's as well remembered as it is.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
The TallGeese was the only unironically cool thing from Wing. Prove me wrong.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Ok I remember loving Gundam Wing when I was younger, but now this is cracking me up lol. What the heck do they mean by "kill"? Are they talking about sex? I don't get it lol.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I remember loving Gundam Wing when I was younger, but now this is cracking me up lol. What the heck do they mean by "kill"? Are they talking about sex? I don't get it lol.

Releena saw Heero land on Earth and he's all like "I am literally going to murder you because you're a witness and my whole thing a the protagonist of this series is unironically being a terrorist" and then she's all like "sploosh, tell me about it stud" and he's all "yeah I am definitely going to kill you" and she's like "yeah sure, let's hang out" and then I don't remember the specific context of this particular scene, but I'm guessing Heero is missing and she's trying to find him/call him back by being all "Hey babe if you're gonna kill me you can come and do it because I'm right here ready to be killed"

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Releena saw Heero land on Earth and he's all like "I am literally going to murder you because you're a witness and my whole thing a the protagonist of this series is unironically being a terrorist" and then she's all like "sploosh, tell me about it stud" and he's all "yeah I am definitely going to kill you" and she's like "yeah sure, let's hang out" and then I don't remember the specific context of this particular scene, but I'm guessing Heero is missing and she's trying to find him/call him back by being all "Hey babe if you're gonna kill me you can come and do it because I'm right here ready to be killed"
The movie that ends off the series.

Villain: "You can't kill me! I'm holding Relena Peacecraft hostage!"
Relena: "Yay! Heero's finally come to kill me!"
Heero: "Roger that."
Villain: "Wait, what have I gotten myself involved in here?"