• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember the beginning of Heavy Rain having weird, robotic voice acting "I need to take a shower before I go downstairs", but just watching some clips again, it's so crazy how cheesy it is. It's even cheesy by 2010 standards =D I guess I was too into the plot to really take much note at the time. I still find Norman Jayden/Carter Blake's arguments to be hilarious, though.

That was always my favourite part of the game, was with Norman Jayden and Carter Blake and just seeing them hate each other and always fighting/arguing over everything.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
I remember when people used this game as an example of games being on the level of movies/TV. Mission accomplished I guess?

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Greatest voice acting of all time

so many memorable lines

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Carter Blake is the Origami Killer. One of these playthroughs they're finally going to listen to me.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
I've been watching Joseph Anderson play this and I didn't remember how bad it was. I played it on launch and never again, and I remembered it being so much better. I'm litrally shocked at how different my memories of it are.

Same for the animation. I guess it was fine for the time?

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I started replaying this earlier this year and it baffled me how bad it looks and sounds. I don't think ive ever been so surprised by how poorly a game has aged before, when I played it back in 2011 I thought it was gorgeous.

Everything feels awkward, even credits on the start of the games are weird.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the things I have never seen, because I have always played it with the (honestly, really damn good) Spanish dub.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I still loved every minute of it, every QD game after it was a downgrade. I specially didn't like Beyond two souls.

Detroit was ok

Hennessy

Dec 8, 2020
I actually thought this game was a masterpiece when i was 15. Still believe this could make a sick movie if you got someone like Fincher.

And how does he have origamis in his hand if he wasn't the killer?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They used local talent, not a ton of experienced professionals to cuts costs if I recall.

Best thing about the game is how every single character says the word origami differently. Sometimes the same actor changes it up mid-stream! You'd think there would be some consistency or voice direction given the importance of the word to the game's narrative, but you'd be wrong!

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually thought this game was a masterpiece when i was 15. Still believe this could make a sick movie if you got someone like Fincher.

And how does he have origamis in his hand if he wasn't the killer?
I loved the game too, though the game still had some issues. The most glaring was Ethan Mars' blackouts which ended up having no proper explanation.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
It's bar none the worst voice acting I've ever seen in a video game. Given that the script is also terrible, it makes for a very unpleasant experience. It's a shame, because I'm one of the few people who's actually a big fan of Quantic Dream's gameplay, I love that instead of just watching cutscenes you have to play through them as well.

Hennessy

Dec 8, 2020
I loved the game too, though the game still had some issues. The most glaring was Ethan Mars' blackouts which ended up having no proper explanation.
Yeah, it felt like there was some magic stuff going on that was cut. Maybe they didn't want to go the Fahrenheit route.
It's bar none the worst voice acting I've ever seen in a video game. Given that the script is also terrible, it makes for a very unpleasant experience. It's a shame, because I'm one of the few people who's actually a big fan of Quantic Dream's gameplay, I love that instead of just watching cutscenes you have to play through them as well.

Voice acting never bothered me but then again i didn't mind the voice acting in the original resident evil and that's like the worst.

Oct 25, 2017
Heavy Rain was one of my favorite experiences in gaming in my life. My brother and I were so enthralled in the visuals, storytelling and mystery of it all. But yeah, it's aged like milk in a lot of spots. But conversely, it's value is as equal as a comedy these days.

I will never deny how groundbreaking it was at the time, though.

Jun 10, 2019
They used local talent, not a ton of experienced professionals to cuts costs if I recall.

Best thing about the game is how every single character says the word origami differently. Sometimes the same actor changes it up mid-stream! You'd think there would be some consistency or voice direction given the importance of the word to the game's narrative, but you'd be wrong!

Ora-GAMI killer? or is it the Ora-Gemi killer?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao is Ethan just sitting there during that argument, where a guy takes out a fucking fun, like nothing is happening?

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean....there are SO much worse out there *Looks at every single JRPG*. But yeah. It's pretty hokey.

Barkspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't have been nearly as bad if Cage didn't insist on making the French-Canadian actors try to do American accents. They should've just changed the setting of the story to Montreal and let the actors use their natural accents.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's impressive how Shelby overcame his childhood french accent

God, I remember when this game was being touted as a breakthrough for video game story telling and I felt like I was on crazy pills for seeing it as hilarious dreck.
Time has vindicated me greatly.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's a reason it was it roundly mocked, once all the goodwill had worn off.

Were Cage not so painfully serious about the game's presentation too, it would be easy to overlook, what are otherwise weird quirks with the VA, etc. As it is, it's unintentionally hilarious.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I worked my first video game job when this game out and just recently stumbled over the chat logs of the EIC for the site I wrote for arguing for why he is going to give Heavy Rain the Best Story and GOTY awards...

...while also explaining why Nier just really wasnt that good story-wise. It was a very special time capsule.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Everything about Heavy Rain is bad and stupid. Not only the voice acting, the plot, characters and pace as well. Is the video game equivalent of a "fraud ".

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
I worked my first video game job when this game out and just recently stumbled over the chat logs of the EIC for the site I wrote for arguing for why he is going to give Heavy Rain the Best Story and GOTY awards...

...while also explaining why Nier just really wasnt that good story-wise. It was a very special time capsule.
That wasn't Demonews was it? Did you even get paid for that?

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
The best:

Also the voice actors for the kids are the worst. They literally speak with a heavy French accent even though they are supposed to be Americans or something.