• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
a9b0cc20-8d34-4636-8107-8f54d79bdf19.jpg

9bbe5044-0151-4c4c-8a9f-6c3b5a07ca04.jpg

8e170281-ab11-4893-a46b-dfae301b82ef.jpg

88dbd6ca-ac57-4a9a-8849-9cc2ced9fd0e.jpg

Jesus...

DrColossus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm lucky seeing as my house is built ontop of a hill, but a lot of the villages and towns around me have been hit pretty hard:

nbkf1.jpg

We've only been without power for ~16 hours for now

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The number of fatalities is crazy. RIP to the victims.

And to think that this is only a tiny hint of what we will have to deal with during the coming decades.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Damn this is awful, hopefully the raining will slow stop/not start again. The high death toll is harrowing.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
rainfall_def2kee.jpg

To get an idea of how widespread the heavy rainfall was, here's a map of Germany. Everything in violet (and above) is basically "insane for 72 hours" territory and roughly equivalent with 1-4 (for the grey part) months of rain in most places.

For the Americans, 1 inch is about 25 mm, so 100 mm is a bit less than 4 inches.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
We just had a few drops here in the north. Best of luck to everybody in the south. :O All that structural damage, too...I hope the government steps in to help the victims with rebuilding.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
These images and videos are so insane and terrifying. There have always been floods but in the middle of the summer at this scale. Fuck

Dec 3, 2017
North Dakota
Catastrophic amounts of rain, people literally dying, houses being destroyed or even completely wiped off the map.

Californians: Lol SeNd SoMe To Us!1!

Like how tonedeaf do you have to be to reply to this thread like that?

I hope that it ends (or at least lightens up) soon. This is absolutely awful.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Evacuation has started in parts of my city (Maastricht). This is so unreal…

Please stay safe everyone 😔

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
jesus, that's awful. were there any signs that this was going to be this bad?
There were warnings that these were going to be a bad few days, but I think the intensity still surprised a lot of people. More than 40 dead is extremely harrowing.

Also, flooding usually happens at the end of winter, not in the middle of summer. If there is flooding in summer, it's usually on a very small scale (one town or city) due to thunderstorms, not due to widespread heavy rainfall across two states, like now.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is fucked up.

Also do floods like this happen often in Germany? This is the first time I'm hearing of natural disaster of this scale in Germany or central Europe for that matter.

Last edited:

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
This is fucked up?

Also do floods like this happen often in Germany? This is the first time I'm hearing of natural disaster of this scale in Germany or central Europe for that matter.

Floods are somewhat regular, but nothing even close to this scale. It's a freak flood breaking all previously recorded highs by a huge margin.

Oct 27, 2017
Shit, my mom just arrived there yesterday to visit family. Guess I just have to wait for her to reach out and try not to worry too much…

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Quite surreal. I don't think we have had large scale flood evacuations here in The Netherlands since ' 95. Those were admittedly a larger scale, but more out of fear of what could happen, now the evacuations are because flooding WILL happen.

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
It hasn't rained in Germany since yesterday night and we hope that there's no heavy rain tomorrow. The Mosel river is already going back, but it's crazy how it still rose quite a bit even after it stopped raining for almost a day, likely thanks to the stuff it carries and the side rivers that lead into it.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
Death toll in Germany has risen to 58:

At least 58 people have died in parts of western Germany amid heavy rains and flooding, local police said on Thursday. Most of the deaths have been reported in the states of North Rhine-Westphalia and Rhineland-Palatinate.

The flooding has heavily impacted transport in the region, which lies near the borders to Belgium, Luxembourg, France and the Netherlands. Weather forecasters say more rain is expected in the coming days.

www.dw.com

Fatal flooding in Germany — as it happened – DW – 07/15/2021

At least 58 people have died and many more are missing as western Germany deals with the effects of massive flooding.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
We really needed rain after the last dry summers, but not like this...

This is fucked up.

There are regular spring floods due to snowmelt, but not nearly this extreme, and towns are prepared for that. Something of this scale in summer is pretty damn rare... or was

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
Will global warming cause it to rain more? Since it's warmer and will exaporate more water into, plus with ice melting there is more surface water to evaporate.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
think most of BW is avoiding this thankfully but supposed to rain for the next couple of days I think.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
This is fucked up.

There were some serious floods in 1993 in The Netherlands (which also hit the province of Limburg hard).

1995 also had some serious flooding with one of the biggest evacuation-operations in our (Dutch) history:

I cant really speak for Germany, but Netherlands is the lowest country in Europe and basically a big delta for some of Europe's biggest rivers so we're 'relatively' prepared. After 1993 and 1995 a lot of work was done to make things safer and I can imagine that will now happen again.

OP
OP
Sölf

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Even though we weren't hit hard where I live and we had no rain today, I do have a friend who lives in Erkrath which was hit quite a bit harder. She is okay though and her home hasn't been damaged. She did tell me though she heard so many sirens during work, mostly firefighters.

But seriously, some of these videos are just completely nuts. As many other germans I have seen flooding on the news here and there, but not like this.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Will global warming cause it to rain more? Since it's warmer and will exaporate more water into, plus with ice melting there is more surface water to evaporate.
I don't have a source handy but yeah, pretty sure this is true.

More heat means more evaporation means more energy for storms.

There's some more complexity to it than that, obviously.

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Germany has those events about every ten years (notably 2002 & 2013) - but this year is just crazy. Luckily I live on a small hill but in my town there are some areas that are flooded quite often. This year twice in just two weeks.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
It's cruel you see. Rainy areas will see more flooding and drought areas like California will get even more dry. Nobody wins.
As horrible as it is, I'd probably rather live in a country with too much water and flooding than a desert. I'm from Australia and we're going to get messed up hard by climate change. All our cities are on the coast too.