• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a Brit living in Germany. Over time I have come to realise that we are more alike than we are different when it comes to these kinds of things.

And yeah as others have already said. I can foresee an increase in large SUVs and the like as being typical CDU voter response: "Was können wir tun? Wir müssen großen Autos kaufen!"
The solution: We need bigger cars!

/s

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
Many of the people in the areas that got hit will probably get a SUV down the road
The worst part is that most of those SUV are just glorified taller sedans and they will break almost as easily under this kind of environmental stress.

A couple of years ago, French public TV had a TV show about climate emergency and they said a car start floating with as little as 40cm of water on the road. And because most cars are not build against such situations, the first thing anyone need to do is opening at least one window, because as soon as the water short-circuit your car's electricity, you are trapped inside your car (you cannot open a door when water's pressure is only on one side).
And then they focus on the people who are above them instead of seeing how their sweet sweet convince and nice 20 degrees C affected people in developing countries etc.
"But, but, how can you live and function when it's over 20° C" "Shadding your windows, what madness is it ?" (and it would be nice to be able to add a /s after both... but I'm only paraphrasing recent topics about the subject...)

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Rhineland-Palatinate, in the middle of the catastrophe. Saw images/videos on international TV of parts of my town being flooded. I'm safe in my area. Almost seems as if nothing happened just a few kilometers away. Rain has thankfully stopped since yesterday evening.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Thsi video perfectly sums up the typical German when it comes to climate change.
Sees how things are fucked up, ignores it, laughs about it and BAM shit hits the fan.
What an idiot

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. Driving into water that deep was bad enough, but he just... continues to drive forwards when he sees the van ahead of him free-floating.

If the water is approaching the centre of your wheel, you turn around. It doesn't matter how good your tyres are, or how capable your off-road vehicle is. If the water is deep enough, and flowing, it can carry your car away.

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
In Erftstadt right now

Holy shit these pictures... :O

E6ZgpZ6XoAMV3hV

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I think i'm going to save this picture on my smartphone and whenever i have the displeasure of meeting some climate change denier, i'm just going to show them this pic.

Nov 8, 2017
Ok, serious question...How the fuck did so many people die? I know some buildings collapsed so that shouldbe a factor. Then there's the people found in basements. But what is the most common cause of death? The numbers are crazy. Did the flood arrive so suddenly that people couldn't escape like in a tsunami scenario? Maybe damaged electric played a role, too?
Combination of:
* People getting unlucky (A rescue boat capsized in belgium and the 3 people being rescued were lost in the flood)
* People staying at home despite the incoming flood("I'm gnna stay at home, if it gets too bad they'll just have to come and rescue me")
* People doing dumb stuff (Some dude jumping into the flood with an inflatable tire and then drowning)
* People severely underestimating the currents and try to pass water only to get dragged along

If you know how many people were affected by this It's not surprising to see these numbers

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Combination of:
* People getting unlucky (A rescue boat capsized in belgium and the 3 people being rescued were lost in the flood)
* People staying at home despite the incoming flood("I'm gnna stay at home, if it gets too bad they'll just have to come and rescue me")
* People doing dumb stuff (Some dude jumping into the flood with an inflatable tire and then drowning)
* People severely underestimating the currents and try to pass water only to get dragged along

If you know how many people were affected by this It's not surprising to see these numbers
I thought a lot of the flood also came at night, and some people sleep in the basement.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
screenshot2021-07-16aaqjkx.png

Tried to get a good before shot, from google maps. Crazy

edit for the interested: 50.814158, 6.793593

This is a drone video from yesterday. You can see how much the nearby gravel pit collapsed since then.

Edit: according to a dpa reporter parts of the Autobahn A1 collapsed into the pit too by now.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
At least still some good news, two elderly people rescued from a partially collapsed home. But death toll in Belgium up to 18 aside from the missing people.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
A levee just broke in Meerssen, The Netherlands. Hope shit isn't too bad...

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
What's the weather in NL supposed to be like this weekend?
Weather will be fine for the coming days. While there were very local problems due to rainfall initially, most of the current issues are because of laying downstream of the more affected areas and levees that are fully saturated.

Just heard about Meerssen that evac is no longer possible, and residents should go upstairs. Edit: and retracted, people should leave the area asap.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Weather will be fine for the coming days. While there were very local problems due to rainfall initially, most of the current issues are because of laying downstream of the more affected areas and levees that are fully saturated.

Just heard about Meerssen that evac is no longer possible, and residents should go upstairs.
As of 5 minutes ago that order has been rescinded. Residents have been instructed to leave their homes.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think individual people are to blame because they're just not used to it. It's fucked up because theses countries are just not ready for these torrential rains, the infrastructure is not ready, houses are not ready, government is not ready etc.

Here in Catalonia/Barcelona torrential rains are one of the worse (if not the worst) natural disaster issue we face, and we're more prepared for it, even if it's hard to prepare for something like this. The local government has mechanisms to mobilize the relief and protection forces and alert the population, most houses are made of stone, there are natural waterways to direct the water flow to the sea (the main escape valve for a flood) and the population is more aware of the dangers.

Climate experts here have been warning that climate change will export not only flash floods but forest fires of the PyroCB type (Pyrocumulonimbus) , another natural disaster we face here, to central and northern europe in the near future. A future that looks like is our present unfortunately.

PS: A video of one of the worse floods we've had in the past decades, this was 26y ago
youtu.be

25 anys de la rierada de Cambrils - Imatges històriques

Imatges cedides Revista Cambrils+ info a http://www.canalreustv.cat/noticies/quart-segle-la-rierada-cambrils

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Problem has moved onto Maastricht in Netherlands. This is a matter of hoping the window holds up:

From Belgium also drone footage of houses that burned to the ground while flooded

www.hln.be

Hallucinante dronebeelden tonen hoe enkele huizen tijdens overstromingen in Chaudfontaine in vlammen opgaan

Het is een onwerkelijk beeld: te midden van de overstromingen in Chaudfontaine staan verschillende huizen in lichterlaaie. De brandweer kan niets anders doen dan toekijken want de stroming van het water is te sterk. Hoe de brand ontstond is nog niet geweten.

I don't think individual people are to blame because they're just not used to it. It's fucked up because theses countries are just not ready for these torrential rains, the infrastructure is not ready, houses are not ready, government is not ready etc.
It is more that we have done our best to pave nature, straigthen rivers, ...

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Problem has moved onto Maastricht in Netherlands. This is a matter of hoping the window holds up:

From Belgium also drone footage of houses that burned to the ground while flooded

www.hln.be

Hallucinante dronebeelden tonen hoe enkele huizen tijdens overstromingen in Chaudfontaine in vlammen opgaan

Het is een onwerkelijk beeld: te midden van de overstromingen in Chaudfontaine staan verschillende huizen in lichterlaaie. De brandweer kan niets anders doen dan toekijken want de stroming van het water is te sterk. Hoe de brand ontstond is nog niet geweten.

Man... Everything about that tweet and the news article is incredibly messed up, hoping the best for everyone currently affected.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

www.hln.be

Yeah, provided a scape route for the flow of water to the sea, which is the main way to give relief to those floods.

Unfortunately that will be harder to accomplish in central EU

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany

www.hln.be

That is pretty scary. And thanks for keeping us all updated since yesterday Joni, really appreciated.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Belgian government has held a press conference: officially 20 deaths now, and 20 people still missing. That includes the 3 elderly people from the rescue boat that capsized, and a 15-year old girl who got taken by the Ourthe river on Wednesday. The only 'hope' is that they are among the dead but unidentified bodies. As a result, the 20th will become a day of 'national mourning' and festivities of the national holiday on the 21st will be scaled back.

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this reminds me of the flood of 1993 in St. Louis. We would see entire towns get washed away.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, that's a whole house cutting down a tree (please ignore the music)

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Humans can do nothing against nature. Fucking nothing. Imagine nonstop week of such downfall and we are toasted...

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Such a tragedy if the people here really still vote for the fucking CDU and Laschet after this they really can't be helped, they have absolutely no answers for this like every conservative party and the only thing they have done for weeks now is sling mud at the Green Party and Baerbock absolutely disgusting.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Such a tragedy if the people here really still vote for the fucking CDU and Laschet after this they really can't be helped, they have absolutely no answers for this like every conservative party and the only thing they have done for weeks now is sling mud at the Green Party and Baerbock absolutely disgusting.
Oh you bet they will...

1a937a374fb6eb8a.jpg

He'll just do some photo ops and the voters will eat it up like always.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
I'm American but I currently have a coworker visiting Belgium and I'm worried about her. She's been through a lot the past year (husband died from Covid) and needed some much deserved down time. I shot her an email. I know statistically she's likely OK, but would be great to receive confirmation.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
E: I love how the Spiegel compared Laschet with a "Disoriented cattle". ^^

That must be the most apt metaphor of him.

In an interview with WDR, he again showed how nothing will change. Pressed by the reporter, he ranted "Entschuldigung, junge Frau. Weil jetzt so ein Tag ist, ändert man nicht die Politik."

For our international friends: "Excuse me, young lady (yes, he said that to a female reporter). You're not changing politics just because now is such a day."

Yeah, just one of these days. Who doesn't know them, world-ending rain, flood destroying whole towns, more than 100 dead ... weather business as usual, no need to change, this is fine.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
www.spiegel.de

Armin Laschet bei Markus Lanz: Ein Interview wie ein Stierkampf

Mit gezielten Lanzismen wiegte der Moderator seinen Gast Armin Laschet in Sicherheit – und brachte ihn dann zur Strecke wie ein Matador das orientierungslose Rindvieh.
tja...

E: I love how the Spiegel compared Laschet with a "Disoriented cattle". ^^

That must be the most apt metaphor of him.

In an interview with WDR, he again showed how nothing will change. Pressed by the reporter, he ranted "Entschuldigung, junge Frau. Weil jetzt so ein Tag ist, ändert man nicht die Politik."

For our international friends: "Excuse me, young lady (yes, he said that to a female reporter). You're not changing politics just because now is such a day."

Yeah, just one of these days. Who doesn't know them, world-ending rain, flood destroying whole towns, more than 100 dead ... weather business as usual, no need to change, this is fine.

😡
Bitte CDU abwaehlen....