• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heaven is basically drooling on yourself as you stand in a stupor singing hymns to God as he fill you with an endless dopamine rush.

duck that meaningless existence.

This is actually pretty accurate. Heaven isn't supposed to be some New Game+ version of life without the crappy parts, it's being in the presence of God and experiencing the beatific vision (in Christianity, anyway).

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
This is actually pretty accurate. Heaven isn't supposed to be some New Game+ version of life without the crappy parts, it's being in the presence of God and experiencing the beatific vision (in Christianity, anyway).
In my version god got bored of that and decided to hell with it all, let them have their toys

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
When I was a kid I was scared of dying because the afterlife will last an eternity and I realized oblivion would be better existentially.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to explain, but when I was in that "emptiness", it was lucid and I was aware of the real world passage of time. Which is why the experience was so vivid, it wasn't just a dream so to speak. It was that state between being in a dream and being awake, which made it that much more real and made the feeling that much more pronounced.

Not gonna lie. I'm sitting here reading your experience and the word that keeps coming to mind is ketamine.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you get whatever you want you could essentially become god and create your own little universe with your own rules. Or multiple.

Then you could amuse yourself by bringing your little creations outside their universe when they died, giving them infinite life and whatever they want.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
At least for a couple hundred years I would imagine

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of cool shit I'd love to do plus some people up there probably have come up with crazy shit themselves.
Would love to visit Venus for example or explore the universe.
I'm gonna say at least a couple hundred years

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As for how long I could last? Probably about a thousand. Ten lifetimes where I can do whatever I want in a scenario of my imagination.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you get whatever you want you could essentially become god and create your own little universe with your own rules. Or multiple.

Then you could amuse yourself by bringing your little creations outside their universe when they died, giving them infinite life and whatever they want.
giphy.gif

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Unlimited endless orgies? I'm in. Can have sex with god?? I would fuck god. Getting to see how everything ends is a nice bonus.

When I eventually get bored I'll try to overthrow god or something so he can annihilate me.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah..... So, essentially you're a reality warper of the Nth degree. The OP states that you can change it whenever you want so that means you can just rewrite reality to your will. God is just giving you his powers and saying, "have at it!"

I would last for quite a while. How long is the question? Maybe thousands upon billions of years of me just trying to carve out my perfect Omniverse.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
At least I could catch up on my backlog.

Nah, probably still wouldn't do it.

Lately I've been thinking about the eternal void and its inescapable nature kind of terrifies me, there's no way to avoid the fact that I will die and be a nonperson. My hope is somehow we figure out how to upload our brains into the internet or something by then... assuming civilization is still recognizable in 50 years or so.

I couldn't delude myself into a belief of the afterlife just to ignore the void, so religion isn't an option. I'd probably choose to live forever in heaven. I think the ideal scenario is you get to go to heaven as long as you want, let yourself be reborn, experience a new life, come back to heaven, recuperate, etc. You can have your shared knowledge in heaven, but not in the mortal plane.

...hey, maybe this is a script waiting to happen. brb

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I'd last as long as the orgies i'd be in do no start to get boring.

Once they do, i'd be out.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Without wanting to sound too morbid, an end to this whole thing is something I'm perfectly OK with. I don't want to just be around forever and ever. I'm not saying I want to punch my own ticket right this second, but I absolutely don't want to live forever. I want to just turn off like a light switch one day and have that be the end of it.

Spinx

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, don't care about any of God's shit and what he can do for me. Obliterate my soul right now! Right now!

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I think this kind of thought stumbles on having very banal idea of what heaven, or any kind of blissful afterlife would/could be.

Imagine there is new universe to explore together with the transcendental being that made it all, but this time without the pain and suffering we have to endure in this one. No jealousy, no greed, no death. All the cosmos to explore without making a mess and polluting and ruining everything with an open relationship with the First Mover. Life, movement, creation, bliss, love.

Sounds cool to me.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Sounds like a bad idea, which is why reincarnation is the superior afterlife theory.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I can't try to watch One Piece from beginning to the current episodes. It's long episode count is what's preventing me from starting it.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
That's why if there's some kind of afterlife, I don't think we'd be conscious about it in the same manner as we are now. An eternity of my conscious mind? No, thank you.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
If God really did provide me with all my wants and desires, and I wasn't just stuck in some bright place with a bunch of pious dweebs, I imagine I'd last for a very, very long time.

Pop me into a Culture book for a millennium or so and I bet I'd jump at the chance for another round.

You know heaven's bars HAVE to kick ass.
The most pressing question: Do they allow sodomy?

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
You put no real limits as to what we could do in heaven, in describing it as a place where you do fun, wholesome, or happy things as opposed to an amorphous state of eternal bliss or just hanging out with angels fluttering around God's silhoutte or something.

As such this is pretty functionally immortality with the ability to do whatever you want whenever you want.
As long as I have friends or family to share conversation or experiences with? I think I literally could last forever. Especially if the entire catalogue of the universe's works of media are available. Run out of things in English to enjoy? Learn a new language- I have all the time in the world after all. Run out of things made by Earthlings? Learn alien languages. And so on. Even past the heat death of the universe, another big bang would inevitably happen. I could just observe life developing anew, or continuously sleep if I get bored of that or don't want to go back to something I already enjoyed.

I've watched a few eps of "The Good Place" here and there, but I don't think this sounds very equivalent. If you mean a place that is like the setting of that show, then I give it maybe... a thousand years, tops?

But given the criteria in the OP? Literally forever. I would never get so mind-numbingly bored with such an existence. Fucksake, I basically build the same thing in Minecraft over and over and over again already- and I'd be happy to do that, without any music or podcasts.

Like seriously, the only raw deal is that I couldn't interface with the living, I assume. But they'll get here eventually.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I can have everything I want? No bad times ever?

Joy and happiness will lose it's meaning so no, I will not last forever.

Sounds like hell to me

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
How long would I last? For as long as it would take me to say "Fuck off, you cunt" to St Peter on my way in.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I desire to reset my boredom and desire every century. I'm not erasing my memory, I'm just resetting my boredom and desire levels.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
It's forever so you'll Have no choice but to last.

The great thing about life is that it ends. For all of us. Heaven must be the laziest concept one can think of. Imagine the ego of a person who thinks that...
One small bandaid on the religious ego: In the process of dying your brain MIGHT pull a trick on you and the final painless moment might feel timeless with a lot of hallucinations. Like in a Mushroom or LSD trip. You will than be confronted with your conscience, your hopes and fears.

No "what ifs". Make your own life worthwhile.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I feel like I would last forever. There would always be something new to do.