• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Her last article:
kotaku.com

Games Criticism Is A Kindness

Writing about games invites accusations of taking things too seriously. Criticism, it sometimes seems, is a dirty word. I don’t think that’s true. I think that whether you are praising something or condemning it, criticism is an act of love.

Moving onto a "once in a lifetime opportunity"; more details next week.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku has lost pretty much all their best writers over the last 6 months. Sucks to see this happen, and best of luck to Heather at her new gig.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, loved Kotaku, but the site is losing talent at a rapid pace.

Totilo's status currently:
captain-sinking-ship.jpg

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
This is a huge blow to Kotaku. I loved her reviews and articles.

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive Drive-By, Transphobia, and a History of Dismissing Bigotry
Terrible writer. Dislike their work immensely. With them luck in whatever they do next.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Heather is an amazing critic and one of the best writers Kotaku ever had. Looking forward to seeing what's next for her.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Wherever she goes next she'll kill it. Her MGS2 retrospective and Death Stranding review is some of the best writing I've read on games.

But I'm kinda worried about Kotaku. I'm struggling to think of strong voices since Jason, Gita, and Cecilia have left. Chris Kohler is still there but ofc I only see his name when it has to do with retro stuff.

kotaku.com

Metal Gear Solid 2 Retrospective: Be Careful What You Wish For

The initial technological threat in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty is Metal Gear RAY. It is an “anti-Metal Gear,” a mech designed to destroy what came before. It is singularly focused on destroying the past, and so is Metal Gear Solid 2. This game is the anti-Metal Gear game. It is the...

kotaku.com

Death Stranding: The Kotaku Review

There is no elevator pitch for Death Stranding.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Well shiiiiiiiiit. Will definitely follow wherever she ends up next (assuming it's in a similar vein anyway).

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dang. I haven't read much of her work at Kotaku, but loved her appearances over at Waypoint.

I hope her next project goes well.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Terrible writer. Dislike their work immensely. With them luck in whatever they do next.
Wow, what a positive comment that definitely contributes to this thread's topic.

Anyways, just a year ago, Kotaku was one of the last bastions of gaming journalism. At least, as far as the titans go. Now it's essentially a wasteland, which really sucks to see.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
She is my favorite writer in games journalism and I've always enjoyed her reviews. They're a joy to read. I hope her important work at Kotaku gets archived somehow.

I'm there wherever she ends up.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
G/O Media or whatever it is they're called now has really been a disaster. Of course, the only sites under that umbrella that I cared about were AV Club, Splinter and Kotaku. Of those three, Splinter is completely dead, Kotaku is circling the drain and AV Club lingers on as a sad shadow of what it used to be. Anyway, I wish Alexandra luck in whatever project she has next. I've always liked her writing.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Was her "Personal brand" tweet throwing shade at Jason Schreier or am I misinterpreting it?

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The implication is that Jason is wrong to imply that Jim Spanfeller killing Deadspin is the reason why Heather is leaving Kotaku. (ie she's leaving because she's landed her dream job. I'm going to guess "writing for video games", since that strikes me a safe bet)

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Ive loved Heather's writing ever since i read her ebook on Metal Gear Rising like 4ish years ago. Looking forward to see what she does next, especially since she sounds excited about it

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
The implication is that Jason is wrong to imply that Jim Spanfeller killing Deadspin is the reason why Heather is leaving Kotaku. (ie she's leaving because she's landed her dream job. I'm going to guess "writing for video games", since that strikes me a safe bet)

yes and how Jason is spinning this on her leaving because of these issues.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I've been visiting Kotaku pretty much every single day for well over a decade. It's sad to see it going out with a whimper like this, but I completely understand why it's happening. My last workplace suffered a similar bleeding of talent after a management change, and most of us are a lot more successful now than we were even in the good days.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Man I just read the article on criticism and was going to come here and see if people were talking about how awesome it is. Because it's a very well written and... compassionate article. Best of luck to Heather.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, what a positive comment that definitely contributes to this thread's topic.

Anyways, just a year ago, Kotaku was one of the last bastions of gaming journalism. At least, as far as the titans go. Now it's essentially a wasteland, which really sucks to see.
as always: fuck herb spanfeller

it sucks that all my favorite writers are leaving to disparate locales. i hope heather finds success and joy in her next position, wherever that is.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Hearing Schreiers thoughts on Kotaku in a recent interview for put too light what probably a lot of their editors thought about what was going down there

Last edited:

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
6 months ago, this would've read as the solemn reflection of an extremely talented writer moving on to the next phase of their career. Now though, just feels like the inevitable next departure in the mass exodus of writers from Kotaku.

The most tragic thing to me, on top of all of the people feeling forced to leave their jobs, is that G/O media is probably happy this is happening. They no longer have to pay good money to talented writers and once the collective bargaining agreement expires, they can just pay a few desperate writers pennies to churn out soul-less clickbait. Which is where the largest profit margins are anyways,

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
These G/O Media guys are really getting a good return on that purchase. First Deadspin's talent all leaves, now Kotaku.

Who do we have our bets on next? Gizmodo? The Onion?

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
goddamn that was a beautiful piece of writing. what a way to go. of course, i shouldn't have been surprised given heather's body of work. she's great, and i'm sure she'll do good things wherever she ends up.

rip kotaku indeed