• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having one of those 5% to lose, AVG damage 10-13. Get hit for 18 days in battlegrounds, sigh.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I've been trying different Quest Priests but seeing Gandling in aggro versions finally has me thinking I should try them. That card was fun but I never had much success with it before.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying the Quest Demon Hunter deck that feno popularized, but with several changes made by a guy over the Asia server, ridiculous hat retweeted yesterday, its super sneaky, one turn you dont have nothing to do, the next turn you find a chance to put down 2 irebound brutes, often times 3, and sometimes they are even boosted by felsosphy..

and glide somehow is becoming increasingly better now that warlocks are trying to get more handlock after the nerfs.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Been playing a lot of quest fel demon hunter (name???) and I see that new revision includes Kayne Sunfury which makes a lot of sense. My biggest challenge over the last couple days has been taunts messing up my big swing face turn. Definitely think the deck only needs ONE Lion's Frenzy.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing a lot of quest fel demon hunter (name???) and I see that new revision includes Kayne Sunfury which makes a lot of sense. My biggest challenge over the last couple days has been taunts messing up my big swing face turn. Definitely think the deck only needs ONE Lion's Frenzy.
that's the secret I think... although having kayn in the hand clogging an outcast really sucks.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate the way Team 5 seems to be obsessed with balancing around hard counters. Allow for powerful decks that get just completely blown out by 1 or 2 other classes. Really, really stupid.

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate the way Team 5 seems to be obsessed with balancing around hard counters. Allow for powerful decks that get just completely blown out by 1 or 2 other classes. Really, really stupid.
How do you mean. I'm not being cheeky or anything, genuinely asking. I don't think the game is perfect or anything right now, but I think it's ok. I really dislike polarizing matchups for popular decks, so hopefully they fix that. I don't mind bad matchups, but polarizing just feels bad.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you mean. I'm not being cheeky or anything, genuinely asking. I don't think the game is perfect or anything right now, but I think it's ok. I really dislike polarizing matchups for popular decks, so hopefully they fix that. I don't mind bad matchups, but polarizing just feels bad.
Not sure how else to put it… there just aren't any current decks right now that don't have at least 1 or 2 hard counters. The match-ups are very rock/paper/scissors right now since so many people are still playing mediocre-to-bad WR decks like quest mage or D6 warlock. Due to their popularity you need to target them with your own deck which then opens you up to the decks that target you. There are no "well-rounded" options right now which frankly should be the only goal for the devs.

I hardly ever feel like my matches are a real battle. They're all just varying levels of blowout, one way or the other.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I think I get the complaints of polarized matchups but I haven't checked the data so maybe it's all in my head. Like there's more green/red on the VS matchup WR chart and less beige/pink?

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
Matchups at my MMR (9 stars and regular Diamond 10 player these days) are all over the place. I see different decks and classes almost every game and have no real way to play "counters" at this point.

I can definitely respect how legend gameplay, especially higher levels, is all the same decks over and over.

Game is in a weird place right now. I like the quick games, used to hate playing against attrition decks due to how I enjoy the game, but hate to think the matchups are too polarized due to the extremely strong win conditions.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game is in a weird place right now. I like the quick games, used to hate playing against attrition decks due to how I enjoy the game, but hate to think the matchups are too polarized due to the extremely strong win conditions.
Yeah. The designers either did a really shitty job at executing a good plan, or they did a really amazing job at executing a terrible plan.

Meta is trash. Essentially rock/paper/scissors. Barely any well-rounded games where both players have a chance at winning. Most matches are decided by turn 2.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the faster paced games and am cool with attrition decks just being deleted in general. The issue is the way they went about it. Instead of trying to balance the entire field they just made sure that each of the obvious strong decks have at least 1 counter that blows it out of the water like 75/25 (or worse).

The only actual well-rounded, good deck was face hunter. But due to the most recent nerfs now shaman is way more popular and what do you know, quest shaman absolutely trashes face hunter. So now there are literally 0 well-rounded, consistent options. Everything you play has at least 1 extremely lopsided matchup.

Real bad.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the faster paced games and am cool with attrition decks just being deleted in general. The issue is the way they went about it. Instead of trying to balance the entire field they just made sure that each of the obvious strong decks have at least 1 counter that blows it out of the water like 75/25 (or worse).

The only actual well-rounded, good deck was face hunter. But due to the most recent nerfs now shaman is way more popular and what do you know, quest shaman absolutely trashes face hunter. So now there are literally 0 well-rounded, consistent options. Everything you play has at least 1 extremely lopsided matchup.

Real bad.
Yeah I don't like lopsided matchups, but bad matchups will probably always be part of the game due to the classes and I'd argue that it's actually ok. Not sure how they make more matches less lopsided though. It would take a lot of work

Though I'd argue that deathrattle DH, Doomhammer Shaman, and some druid decks are pretty well rounded. Some Rogue are ok too.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Yeah I don't like lopsided matchups, but bad matchups will probably always be part of the game due to the classes and I'd argue that it's actually ok. Not sure how they make more matches less lopsided though. It would take a lot of work

Though I'd argue that deathrattle DH, Doomhammer Shaman, and some druid decks are pretty well rounded. Some Rogue are ok too.
Aren't most of those pretty similar to last expansion though? It's hard for me to get excited about playing them now.

Last edited:

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Yes, and I agree. That's why I don't play them. I was mostly just stating that there are decks that don't have really hard counters.
Fair enough. If molnizzle was enjoying Hunter pre-nerf they probably aren't too concerned with novelty either. 😄

I went back to Fel DH and that deck at least has the fun factor for me. Has broken swing turns and a combo-like finisher but you also end up playing lots of cards out in a more control style.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. If molnizzle was enjoying Hunter pre-nerf they probably aren't too concerned with novelty either. 😄

I went back to Fel DH and that deck at least has the fun factor for me. Has broken swing turns and a combo-like finisher but you also end up playing lots of cards out in a more control style.
I wouldn't say I was enjoying it, it just had consistency.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DRDH is destroyed by quest shaman while shaman has it pretty bad against mage and giants warlock. vS thinks there might be a middling slightly <50% miracle rogue list that is somewhat consistent... but the quest and garrote lists both have hard counters. And I'm skeptical that last season's miracle is actually that good in this meta.

I actually saw some BoarControl trying some different Face Hunter builds using more beasts. Seems like the popular versions are pretty bland though. With Kolkar nerfed there is some experimentation again at least.
Yeah I dropped Kolkars for a couple Neophytes. But honestly the issue isn't the Kolkar nerf, that's easily replaceable. The big problem for hunter right now is the huge amount of shaman on ladder. I'm at a little over 20% shaman this past week. Doesn't matter the deck, all of them blow out face hunter. That's a lot of near guaranteed losses... difficult to justify playing now if the goal is to climb.

Oct 25, 2017
DRDH is destroyed by quest shaman while shaman has it pretty bad against mage and giants warlock. vS thinks there might be a middling slightly <50% miracle rogue list that is somewhat consistent... but the quest and garrote lists both have hard counters. And I'm skeptical that last season's miracle is actually that good in this meta.
I don't know if DRDH is destroyed by quest shaman. I've played on both sides of that matchup and it usually boils down to if shaman has perpetual flame in the first 3 turns. If they don't, it doesn't feel that bad for DH. And Doomhammer Shaman can rock the fuck out of both mage and warlock, so sorry if that hasn't been your experience. I've regularly smacked them in the face for 20+ damage on turn 7. Quest shaman on the other hand get pretty fucked by both warlock and mage. As for miracle rogue, I just switched out tenwu and alex for garrote and it has worked just fine *shrug*. I just don't really enjoy playing the deck, so I only queue like 5 of those a day. Quest Rogue is the deck I got to legend with and I climbed pretty high with it until I got tired of playing it. No idea what quest Rogue is looking like right now, but I imagine the only truly poor matchup would have to be quest shaman, and again that would depend on perpetual flame. I can't get enough quest shaman though. Even with the shitty matchups, it's just so fun to play.....well not against mage. Warlock I can tolerate.
Maybe one of these new DH decks will be the "balanced" deck. And I completely understand where you're coming from, because both of my all time favorite decks were decks that didn't have any polarizing matchups. Still been waiting for another one of those. Bad matchups I can tolerate, but once it's worse than 40-60....I'm not thrilled. I can even deal with 35-65, but once it's worse than that, I'm probably not playing the deck if that matchup is common.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if DRDH is destroyed by quest shaman. I've played on both sides of that matchup and it usually boils down to if shaman has perpetual flame in the first 3 turns. If they don't, it doesn't feel that bad for DH. And Doomhammer Shaman can rock the fuck out of both mage and warlock, so sorry if that hasn't been your experience. I've regularly smacked them in the face for 20+ damage on turn 7. Quest shaman on the other hand get pretty fucked by both warlock and mage. As for miracle rogue, I just switched out tenwu and alex for garrote and it has worked just fine *shrug*. I just don't really enjoy playing the deck, so I only queue like 5 of those a day. Quest Rogue is the deck I got to legend with and I climbed pretty high with it until I got tired of playing it. No idea what quest Rogue is looking like right now, but I imagine the only truly poor matchup would have to be quest shaman, and again that would depend on perpetual flame. I can't get enough quest shaman though. Even with the shitty matchups, it's just so fun to play.....well not against mage. Warlock I can tolerate.
Maybe one of these new DH decks will be the "balanced" deck. And I completely understand where you're coming from, because both of my all time favorite decks were decks that didn't have any polarizing matchups. Still been waiting for another one of those. Bad matchups I can tolerate, but once it's worse than 40-60....I'm not thrilled. I can even deal with 35-65, but once it's worse than that, I'm probably not playing the deck if that matchup is common.
I guess Doomhammer could do work against handlock, but if you highrolled like that they could've also highrolled and have 6/6 taunts up by then. Or be windfurying you for 32. I doubt that one is super favored for the shaman. And yeah, perpetual flame just deletes DRDH. They also have sick healing with the sloggers and the ability to generate more with a few others cards. As for rogue... hunter man. My face hunter stats this season are 25-5 against rogue (lol).

But yeah, I'm right there with you in that I just want something at worst 35/65, ideally 40/60 on the "bad" match-ups.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Got my 5 weekly wins done... and spent 149 mana in the process getting them done. Still need 351 more for that spend 500 mana weekly quest. Maybe I'll tavern brawl...

This was with Quest Hunter by the way, got that use Hero Power 20 times weekly so wanted a deck that could fire out a lot of hero powers quickly.

20 of that mana was playing Tavish (One game they conceded when I finished quest).

No game went past turn 8 as well. A quest warlock got close but they were 2 damage off. Slate + Bola Shot is helpful when they are dropping giants on turn 4

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
really hyped for the mercenaries stream, hope it goes well for them, celestalon talked that the content he was working on was so out of field he didn't know at all if people would like it.

I haven't even seen the leaked trailer just to hold on for the stream and them to announce oficially.

Although I couldn't hide from the release date leak

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Is Grand Finale Mage a thing now? Feels weak, but been seeing it alot more the last few days.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
+1k wins priest wants to spam emotes and then they alt f4 when they are about to lose.

This is the real reason to play HS. 😂

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure how else to put it… there just aren't any current decks right now that don't have at least 1 or 2 hard counters. The match-ups are very rock/paper/scissors right now since so many people are still playing mediocre-to-bad WR decks like quest mage or D6 warlock. Due to their popularity you need to target them with your own deck which then opens you up to the decks that target you. There are no "well-rounded" options right now which frankly should be the only goal for the devs.

I hardly ever feel like my matches are a real battle. They're all just varying levels of blowout, one way or the other.
I'm actually feeling the same way. I'm not enjoying this at ALL. Just feels like the game is cruising along and then you walk face first into some bullshit. And it's not a swing like with a king Krush build or something, it's just bullshit trick deck after trick deck after trick deck. Everything is tricks or bullshit rather than actually outplaying your opponent. At least at my level any way.

I really wish I could go back to the days of death rattle hunter, the one with the raptor egg, cube hunter or just big beast keleseth hunter. Those were my favorite decks ever. Now I can't even find a hunter deck I like. I've been playing death rattle demon hunter and I'm okay at it I guess but I'm still subject to the Rock Paper Scissors issue that was talked about above. I rolled Libram paladin last expansion. Wasn't the most interesting deck but at least I felt like I had good choices I could make based on what was put in front of me. I don't feel that way right now. But again, could be me. I am not that well versed in demon hunter and all these trick decks have caught me very off guard.

Last edited:

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually feeling the same way. I'm not enjoying this at ALL. Just feels like the game is cruising along and then you walk face first into some bullshit. And it's not a swing like with a king Krush build or something, it's just bullshit trick deck after trick deck after trick deck. Everything is tricks or bullshit rather than actually outplaying your opponent. At least at my level any way.

I really wish I could go back to the days of death rattle hunter, the one with the raptor egg, cube hunter or just big beast keleseth hunter. Those were my favorite decks ever. Now I can't even find a hunter deck I like. I've been playing death rattle demon hunter and I'm okay at it I guess but I'm still subject to the Rock Paper Scissors issue that was talked about above. I rolled Libram paladin last expansion. Wasn't the most interesting deck but at least I felt like I had good choices I could make based on what was put in front of me. I don't feel that way right now. But again, could be me. I am not that well versed in demon hunter and all these trick decks have caught me very off guard.
Your best bet is to just run face hunter and hope you can dodge shaman and fel DH.

This expansion is really bad. Hopefully the mini-set comes sooner rather than later and is able to salvage it. "Trick decks" is a good way to put it. Like half the fucking decks don't even play minions now. I really don't know what the hell the devs were thinking.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
At least it's the perfect meta to play the game on the background, cause none of this shit requires paying any attention.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Your best bet is to just run face hunter and hope you can dodge shaman and fel DH.

This expansion is really bad. Hopefully the mini-set comes sooner rather than later and is able to salvage it. "Trick decks" is a good way to put it. Like half the fucking decks don't even play minions now. I really don't know what the hell the devs were thinking.
Got any deck links for the latest face hunter deck list? I thought they were getting rolled?

I played a rogue last night, dude hadn't hit me but once and then he managed to do some shit where he kept pulling out cards at no cost that did 4 hero damage and in one turn killed me. This shit is awful. Basically this expansion feels like a race to kill someone otherwise they pull some trick bullshit and will annihilate me even if I've played perfectly up to that point. It's so frustrating.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017

Counterpoint:

W2PJSqd.png

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to two more years of these quests. Or them being powercreeped out of the game, lol.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
This expansion is the opposite of barrens.

Barrens was super safe and boring most people were meh

This expansion very strong reactions people either love or hate it.

For me this my favorite expansion in 3+ years so Fun.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
It's better if they swing for the fences and things get a little weird than same old same old. This xpac has some issues but so far I really like the meta.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I haven't really been enjoying most decks but maybe I should just stick to good archetypes and enjoy that. Big Warrior and Quest Priest have not been it. I guess I tried Quest Shaman which is good but got bored of that. Maybe it's because games are a lot shorter but they seem to play out very samey.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): ableist language
The most retarded thing about quest mage, is that you get punished for playing your own minions, because that way they have shit to fire their spells at.
Utter garbage design.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This expansion is the opposite of barrens.

Barrens was super safe and boring most people were meh

This expansion very strong reactions people either love or hate it.

For me this my favorite expansion in 3+ years so Fun.
I can't think of a time when I had less fun with Hearthstone. Probably the worst expansion I've had the misfortune of playing.*

*didn't play last expansion though. Might feel differently since I hear control priest was meta. Imagine enjoying that garbage.

The most retarded thing about quest mage, is that you get punished for playing your own minions, because that way they have shit to fire their spells at.
Utter garbage design.
The most annoying thing about it is the deck isn't even good. Anyone playing it probably has a negative WR long term. But it's the only deck that's strong against both of the 2 most powerful decks in the game (handlock and quest shaman) so people are playing it to counter. The only way to consistently win is to just dodge your bad match-ups. There is not a single well-rounded deck in the entire meta.

Blizzard are idiots in general but this fuck-up is impressive even for them.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a time when I had less fun with Hearthstone. Probably the worst expansion I've had the misfortune of playing.*

*didn't play last expansion though. Might feel differently since I hear control priest was meta. Imagine enjoying that garbage.

The most annoying thing about it is the deck isn't even good. Anyone playing it probably has a negative WR long term. But it's the only deck that's strong against both of the 2 most powerful decks in the game (handlock and quest shaman) so people are playing it to counter. The only way to consistently win is to just dodge your bad match-ups. There is not a single well-rounded deck in the entire meta.

Blizzard are idiots in general but this fuck-up is impressive even for them.
While I have really enjoyed this expansion because the decks are SOOOO much more fun than Barrens, I already mentioned that the polarizing matchups are a bit of a turnoff. However, I've been playing Secret Paladin for the last 3 days and this deck feels fucking legit. Oh my Yogg can just cripple the 3 most popular decks. The matchups feel really good (I'm not sure if they are, but my win percentage has been good). The only matchup I've played that feels pretty shitty is against deathrattle DH...and that deck is barely being played, so whatever. Everything else feels good, so I'd say give it a try. It's extra funny when you end up with OMY in your mulligan going first (never actually keep it though), and the quest decks decide they want to call your bluff. Happens way more often than it should.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I have really enjoyed this expansion because the decks are SOOOO much more fun than Barrens, I already mentioned that the polarizing matchups are a bit of a turnoff. However, I've been playing Secret Paladin for the last 3 days and this deck feels fucking legit. Oh my Yogg can just cripple the 3 most popular decks. The matchups feel really good (I'm not sure if they are, but my win percentage has been good). The only matchup I've played that feels pretty shitty is against deathrattle DH...and that deck is barely being played, so whatever. Everything else feels good, so I'd say give it a try. It's extra funny when you end up with OMY in your mulligan going first (never actually keep it though), and the quest decks decide they want to call your bluff. Happens way more often than it should.
That's actually the only current meta deck I haven't tried. Played a bit of handbuff early on but never the secret version. I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe we're also not getting nerfs (outside of Warlock) until well into September. As if Warlock is the only problematic class right now, absolute nuts. It's gonna be a long month.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
It might just be the lack of control (specifically Warrior) that has be down. I switched to Handbuff Paladin for the first time since a few days after launch and it makes Big Warrior look like a big joke. You don't have to skip your early turns and you still drop bigger minions than Big Warrior earlier. It is pretty fun. It's an expensive deck though, and I crafted Fordragon for fun (I'm sure I could've found a decent alternative but I'm still rolling in dust).

I honestly want to give Mage another shot too. It was one of my first classes to get to 500 wins and I liked No Minion Mage when it was still niche but haven't tried the quest hardly at all.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think they kind of overdid the nerfs, meta wasn't as polarized as it is now, and they kind of killed paladin with it, it's far more difficult to find footing with paly

now, some of you are treating this like the worst meta ever and holy shit, calm down people... its nowhere near that.

at least I'm having a lot of fun, I wished it wasnt as polarized, but so far its a blast, there are so many new ways to play with each class, and shadow priest is something I never thought I could do properly on the meta. its literally a tier 1 deck now and I'm very surprised.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they kind of overdid the nerfs, meta wasn't as polarized as it is now, and they kind of killed paladin with it, it's far more difficult to find footing with paly

now, some of you are treating this like the worst meta ever and holy shit, calm down people... its nowhere near that.

at least I'm having a lot of fun, I wished it wasnt as polarized, but so far its a blast, there are so many new ways to play with each class, and shadow priest is something I never thought I could do properly on the meta. its literally a tier 1 deck now and I'm very surprised.
People have fun in different ways. For me, in this game, I only have fun if I win. I don't care about literally anything else. Winning is all that matters. So if there is an abundance of "polarized" match-ups, that means a bunch of losses that I have to accept as soon as I see the opponent's class. That is fucking garbage.

I haven't played every expansion, but I've been playing off and on since GvG and I don't recall any meta as polarized as this one. It's one of the worst balanced "competitive" metas I've played in any video game.

Oct 25, 2017
People have fun in different ways. For me, in this game, I only have fun if I win. I don't care about literally anything else. Winning is all that matters. So if there is an abundance of "polarized" match-ups, that means a bunch of losses that I have to accept as soon as I see the opponent's class. That is fucking garbage.

I haven't played every expansion, but I've been playing off and on since GvG and I don't recall any meta as polarized as this one. It's one of the worst balanced "competitive" metas I've played in any video game.
Well if you want to win, play warlock in wild. I won over 20 games in a row and ended my day at something like 60-8. Absolute fucking nonsense. I'm probably gonna grind out the rest of these 1000 warlock wins in wild because this shit is mega easy. Only need about 80 games and the games are super fucking fast. Usually over by turn 6.

You mention only having fun win you're winning, funny because I am usually having the most fun when the games are interesting whether I win or lose and that goes for any genre. But these games have been anything but interesting....it's just me destroying everyone. So I don't even know if I'm having fun...