• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing Quest Warlock is good for -- getting bad opponent to concede after you play Malygos even if you don't have lethal. I'm sitting here cursing at myself for miscalculating the damage and then opponent concedes. Whew!

Oct 25, 2017
I did, I just think you're both wrong. The correct "out" was to stay alive because if you're dead you can't win. I feel like that is... very basic. There was no "if" in that scenario -- I was going to die the next turn if I didn't heal. There was only one valid play to make.

No, you were at 8 health and he was showing 6 damage (3 weapon, 1 from board, 2 from hero power). There was a chance they did not have 2 damage from hand, especially in a deck of one-ofs.

The other play I think was suboptimal was on turn 4. Plot twist for the chance to be able to remove the 5/4 with soulfire or breath. That was likely to be an even larger impact.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you so much mate. For the record, i used Highlander Hunter for the final climb from Diamond 5 to Legend. There were some very stresfull games in Ranks 2 to 1 but deck is incredibly strong at the moment so i managed to keep a winrate above %70.
Yeah I think it's a good thing that deck is stupid expensive. It's so relentless.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, you were at 8 health and he was showing 6 damage (3 weapon, 1 from board, 2 from hero power). There was a chance they did not have 2 damage from hand, especially in a deck of one-ofs.

The other play I think was suboptimal was on turn 4. Plot twist for the chance to be able to remove the 5/4 with soulfire or breath. That was likely to be an even larger impact.
Isn't that... the exact opposite of what you were just saying? Wasting a +4 hp heal to clear a minion when I should save for +8? Get your story straight. lol

Last edited:

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody know the requirements for x2 from diamond 5 to legend next season?

Is it top 2000? Top 3000? Top 4000?

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Just Folds
Just Folds

Me: Just Folds
Not to misrepresent myself I lose to hunter too, I just lost when I had drawn 29 cards, hit air off DQA, had my questionable plays punished, and used my resources poorly. I'm still learning how to play the deck.

The List:

### Quest Warlock
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Mortal Coil
# 2x (1) Rain of Fire
# 2x (1) Soulfire
# 1x (1) Supreme Archaeology
# 1x (2) Acidic Swamp Ooze
# 2x (2) Mo'arg Artificer
# 2x (2) Nether Breath
# 2x (2) Plot Twist
# 2x (2) Questing Explorer
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 2x (3) Dark Skies
# 1x (3) Sense Demons
# 2x (5) Crazed Netherwing
# 2x (6) Abyssal Summoner
# 2x (6) Aranasi Broodmother
# 1x (8) Twisting Nether
# 1x (9) Alexstrasza
# 1x (9) Dragonqueen Alexstrasza
# 1x (9) Malygos
#
AAECAcn1Agi0A8UE2wbcBooH66MD/KMDkbEDC84HxAjalgPamwO7pQPlrAPrrAPsrAPtrAPurAPpvgMA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I know I recommended Khartut's and I think they're more defensive if you're getting the likes of face hunter but I have learned to appreciate the abyssal summoner counterpressure more as I've played. dropping a massive 9/9 on 6 can be a lot for a deck to deal with.

You have to think about how you're going to win the control matches when you play without frizz. You get there, you just have to think about your lines.
The biggest weakness is just getting gassed against a tempo deck that can go long IMO. You can just run out of answers or your own development and end up late-game in a situation where you've spent your 'combo pieces' to get there but your deck doesn't really do anything anymore.
It's specifically the combination of early pressure that forces out your resources and resource generation that keeps them from gassing out that's threatening.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that... the exact opposite of what you were just saying? Wasting a +4 hp heal to clear a minion when I should save for +8? Get your story straight. lol

It is not the opposite of what I said. If you cleared that minion that turn you would have saved 5 health plus gained 4. And then his board would have been easier to clear with removal via dark skies or whatever.

Oh, I also just realized you ordered your turn 5 poorly. If your plan was to completely clear the board no matter what, you should have breath first otherwise it could have been the faerie dragon that survived. But hey, you play perfectly and cannot find any alternative plays.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility; Prior Bans for the Same
It is not the opposite of what I said. If you cleared that minion that turn you would have saved 5 health plus gained 4. And then his board would have been easier to clear with removal via dark skies or whatever.

Oh, I also just realized you ordered your turn 5 poorly. If your plan was to completely clear the board no matter what, you should have breath first otherwise it could have been the faerie dragon that survived. But hey, you play perfectly and cannot find any alternative plays.
Yeah, that was the only actual misplay I made that match. Luckily it worked out and didn't matter at all.

Everything else you've said is total nonsense though. Worthless commentary. I know you feel the need to pick shit apart to make yourself feel smart, but unless you have suggestions for how the match could have actually been won you're just spewing bullshit. Critiquing plays with suggestions that still would have led to a loss is fucking laughable, and fully illustrates my point that luck is the biggest determining factor with some of these decks and matchups.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that was the only actual misplay I made that match. Luckily it worked out and didn't matter at all.

Everything else you've said is total nonsense though. Worthless commentary. I know you feel the need to pick shit apart to make yourself feel smart, but unless you have suggestions for how the match could have actually been won you're just spewing bullshit. Critiquing plays with suggestions that still would have led to a loss is fucking laughable, and fully illustrates my point that luck is the biggest determining factor with some of these decks and matchups.

I pointed out three things you could have done different that I think would have increased your chance to win. You are results oriented in your analysis, I am not. Your plays were suboptimal, you deserved to lose that game. Get over it.

Totenkinder

Oct 27, 2017
GM has had some great series this weekend RDU just reverse swept Pavel who couldn't get a win with the maly/ysera druid. Kind of seems like a weird pick to bring when you know priest is gonna be around maybe if he had put savage roar in the deck? Otherwise priest just clears your board over and over again. Still made for some really entertaining games especially the last priest vs druid where pavel discarded ysera then proceeded to discover two copies of it lol

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

Tone it down please.

Oct 25, 2017
GM has had some great series this weekend RDU just reverse swept Pavel who couldn't get a win with the maly/ysera druid. Kind of seems like a weird pick to bring when you know priest is gonna be around maybe if he had put savage roar in the deck? Otherwise priest just clears your board over and over again. Still made for some really entertaining games especially the last priest vs druid where pavel discarded ysera then proceeded to discover two copies of it lol

I think I am watching more hearthstone esports than ever before because of it being on youtube. I just noticed the notifications more often than twitch, where I only go for hearthstone content oddly enough. But I am on youtube for a couple other things and now I just kind of watch more hearthstone now as a result lol.

Kornflayx

Oct 27, 2017
I watched some of the GM on youtube and every time I watch, Frodan looks like he hasn't slept in like, a year. Also Tyler breakdancing after winning is peak HS esports.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I'm one win away from Legend I always get some random ass off-meta deck. Makes me rage more than Priest players.

Oct 25, 2017
I just had one of those beating a dead horse games. It is kinda crazy how much healing warlock can get where they are supposedly meant to have a weakness of healing.

hsreplay.net

Protekt1 vs. KuroiKenshi

Watch a game of Hearthstone between KuroiKenshi (Demonhunter) and Protekt1 (Warlock) in your browser.

edit:
Damn, intense games tonight.

Nailbiter vs DH:
hsreplay.net

Protekt1 vs. jmarks

Watch a game of Hearthstone between jmarks (Demonhunter) and Protekt1 (Warlock) in your browser.

Crazy last second win off alex for a free malygos after my malygos died to soulfire discard:
hsreplay.net

Protekt1 vs. Orozur

Watch a game of Hearthstone between Orozur (Mage) and Protekt1 (Warlock) in your browser.

I am 13-2 with this deck today. Feels like a real good deck.

Last edited:

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
So with the final game of quest warlock done and dusted we can look at the weekend's statistics

FRIDAY
Posesi: 1-0 (DH)
Tyler: 1-0 (Gala Rogue)

Zhym: 1-0 (Priest)
BoarControl: 1-0 (Priest)

Empanizado: 1-0
Gallon: BANNED (Warrior 1-0)
lnguagehackr: BANNED (Warrior 1-0)
muzzy: 1-0

SATURDAY
BoarControL: BANNED (Warrior 1-0)
Hunterace: 0-0 (Got swept on priest)

Empanizado: BANNED (Warior 1-0)

SUNDAY
Tyler: 1-0 (Spell Druid)
Zhym: 1-1 (DH, Gala Rogue)
Viper: 1-0 (HL Mage)
lnguagehackr: BANNED (Warrior 1-0)
justsaiyan: 1-0 (HL Hunter)
muzzy: 1-0 (DH, HEALED FOR 49!)

If you assume the bans are correct then the banned deck must perform at least as well as the best performing deck.
Under this assumption we have that Quest Warlock is equivalent to: 16-1 or a winrate of ~94%

Without a ban assumption we have 11-1 or ~92%

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back to Diamond 5!

I had like a 6 game win streak or something at the end with Togg Priest. I dodged quest mage and mechathun rather effectively though. That helped a lot.

I still love Togg combos more than any OTK. OTKs feel so unsatisfying to win. Togg still gives your opponent a chance. I'm amazed sometimes at how tense games can still be even after the switch. Lots of opponents don't ever bother playing the ransom and just carry momentum through to a hopeful win.

### Togg
# Class: Priest
# Format: Wild
#
# 1x (1) Awaken the Makers
# 1x (1) Potion of Madness
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 2x (2) Dead Ringer
# 1x (2) Dirty Rat
# 2x (2) Explosive Sheep
# 2x (2) Loot Hoarder
# 2x (2) Novice Engineer
# 2x (2) Penance
# 2x (2) Questing Explorer
# 2x (2) Shadow Visions
# 2x (2) Spirit Lash
# 2x (3) Twilight's Call
# 2x (5) Mass Hysteria
# 1x (5) Zilliax
# 2x (7) Psychic Scream
# 1x (8) King Togwaggle
# 1x (8) Murozond the Infinite
# 1x (8) Shadowreaper Anduin
#
AAEBAa0GCO0FtbsClsQC38QCkNMC/esCoIADjrEDC/sBnAL8D9HBAvDPAujQAqniAqH+ApeHA7ulA5mpAwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Spirit lash explosive sheep is the MVP anti aggro combo in this deck.

Dirty rat is probably bad, but I think it's okish against aggro and your only real hope against mechathun. And maybe sometimes you grab a flamewaker.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
1. Crafted quest warlock.
2. Played mirror
3. Opponent completed quest on turn 5.
4. On turn 10 now, still don't have plot twist, quest is 17/20. Opponent play zephyrs. I'm dead without completing quest.

Edit: two games in a row without plot twist

0-2 now, can I have my dust back

Last edited:

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
The Lag on Plot Twist is completely unacceptable.
I waited a good 15 seconds for it to start it's fucking animation while the rope burned.

Kornflayx

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't they just speed up the animations in general. Armorsmith was sped up, but it still takes ages when you play Relicologist. It's weird

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
When I'm on rope: turn ends before you hear the slamming sound
When opponent is on rope: pulls off 15 actions after the slam

Totenkinder

Oct 27, 2017
I think it might be time to hall of fame nozdormu or at least just make it so it can't be summoned from dream portals. I get that it's funny and a lot of that crazy RNG is built into the game's identity but when it screws you or the opponent it kind of ruins the match. It also happened in GM at least once that I saw (pavel vs rdu) like just patch it at this point or something

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it might be time to hall of fame nozdormu or at least just make it so it can't be summoned from dream portals. I get that it's funny and a lot of that crazy RNG is built into the game's identity but when it screws you or the opponent it kind of ruins the match. It also happened in GM at least once that I saw (pavel vs rdu) like just patch it at this point or something
They've patched it before too. Maybe that was a specific interaction.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

I'd rather Hall of Fame Reno and Zephrys, both of which screw the shit out of me. Reno makes me feel like I'm fighting two opponents at once by helping my opponent with powerful spells before they take their turn, and Zephrys is a get out of losing free card.

Totenkinder

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather Hall of Fame Reno and Zephrys, both of which screw the shit out of me. Reno makes me feel like I'm fighting two opponents at once by helping my opponent with powerful spells before they take their turn, and Zephrys is a get out of losing free card.
I more meant in the case of Noz being pulled by the dream portal, it feels like it goes directly against the way the game is supposed to be played. If you play a lackey and it transforms the one drop into doomsayer that's part of the risk, or your opponent dropping zeph for the exact card they need, it's at least as intended. Noz just instantly ruins the game for both players unless it can be immediately cleared it's just stupid, even when it wins me games it feels inherently broken. The card isn't even played in constructed and never has been that I can remember. It's time for it to go

Edit: Also to echo earlier sentiments the dream portal animation could definitely be sped up as well especially if you get four plus in a row it's just tedious

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Nozdormu has not been put into a competitive deck in what, 5+ years? It only continues to exist in standard because of the potential to be a result of a random effect. Which is pretty dumb to me, considering it still finds a way to fuck with the turn timer some times.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
If you pull 4 dream portals in a row and the 1st is Noz, you'd probably get 2 seconds to finish your turn after all the animations finish.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I do want to say that while I agree with all the discussion on animation speed I think Plot Twist in particular is just coded poorly in some way that it requires a ton of communication to begin and if your connection is not great it becomes highly noticeable. It's a problem that compounds with but is separate to animation times and something that I don't believe can be justified in any way. There's no other card in the game that leaves me wondering if I DC'd after I play it.

Oct 25, 2017
I do want to say that while I agree with all the discussion on animation speed I think Plot Twist in particular is just coded poorly in some way that it requires a ton of communication to begin and if your connection is not great it becomes highly noticeable. It's a problem that compounds with but is separate to animation times and something that I don't believe can be justified in any way. There's no other card in the game that leaves me wondering if I DC'd after I play it.

I notice it is a lot worse when I watch streamers use it. I sometimes get a delay but not usually that bad.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Haven't been playing but I check in every so often. Couldn't resist pointing out that Demon Hunter is back as the highest winrate in Standard again lol. They really should have just reworked it from the start.

Willy

Oct 27, 2017
After a very extended break, I started putting some time into the game again this month and got legend again on NA yesterday. I actually went on a lucky run from Diamond 4 to legend in about 3 hours (only 1 loss to a quest warlock) but before that I was hard stuck between Diamond 6 and Diamond 10 for about two weeks.

EaEtwOf.jpg

I didn't know legend points went that high!

Anyway the deck I used 90% of the time was Galakrond rogue and below is the best and most broken version that I played.

### Refined
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (0) Backstab
# 2x (0) Shadowstep
# 2x (1) Pharaoh Cat
# 2x (1) Praise Galakrond!
# 2x (1) Spymistress
# 2x (2) Eviscerate
# 1x (2) Sap
# 1x (3) Edwin VanCleef
# 2x (3) EVIL Miscreant
# 2x (3) Frozen Shadoweaver
# 2x (3) Seal Fate
# 2x (4) Devoted Maniac
# 2x (5) Faceless Corruptor
# 2x (5) Shield of Galakrond
# 1x (6) Flik Skyshiv
# 1x (6) Heistbaron Togwaggle
# 1x (6) Kronx Dragonhoof
# 1x (7) Galakrond, the Nightmare
#
AAECAaIHBrICzQOSlwPBrgPjtAPLwAMMtAHtAogHj5cD9acDua4D/q4Dqq8Dzq8DgrEDubgD1r4DAA==
#

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I lost to Nozdormu from portal once because it skipped my turn, so my opponent had two turns in a row.

Not sure if it's fix already.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't been playing but I check in every so often. Couldn't resist pointing out that Demon Hunter is back as the highest winrate in Standard again lol. They really should have just reworked it from the start.
Even if that is true, that's not a problem in itself. There is nothing saying DH can't be the strongest, as long as it's not completely out of control like it was.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Didn't watch any of GM over the weekend, but catching up with the thread I'm glad to see Quest Warlock did really well. It's so much fun to play and it hardly ever feels like you're fully out of a game. The amount of healing you can do while running aggro and tempo decks out of steam is truly bonkers. Getting to play Malygos is always a pleasure too. My only notes are that 1x Sense Demons is awesome and running Zephrys feels too optimistic. You don't get the flexibility to play Zeph the same way a Highlander deck does, you have to wait until the lategame like with DQA. Could be that I just see to much aggro and that it makes more sense as an additional power card against control. I should try running the 6 mana hand size taunt demon generator, I have only been running Khartuts so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.