• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Talk about hyperbole.

I've actually created different decks when I usually just throw the best deck, this time I've actually had different approaches.

Between jade, c'thun and zoo I've enjoyed this a lot

Oct 25, 2017
literally the worst brawl i've ever played. forcing a small handful of sets and denying classic is just punishing.
Not even close to the worst I've played, but I guess I can understand that.

But I definitely believe something like this can work and can be improved upon. And yeah not having classic is rough in a way, but forced me to use shit I wouldn't have otherwise. This brawl lacks card draw, but I definitely made it work with my limited options and it was kinda fun in doing so.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Just received the email about Toki's Bundle. Kinda interesting that Blizzard pegs the value of wild cards at 60% of a standard card. I also couldn't help but notice that they give you 8 packs per set, not even the 10 guaranteed to break the pity timer for players who started playing after these left the store. Low-key scummy move.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After four years of playing Hearthstone, I finally achieved a 12 win Arena.

dGtoyox.jpg

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Holy Wrath Paladin keeps carrying me and I keep trying to let it down.
check out this comedy of unforced errors.
Two stupid time outs and milling myself with prismatic instead of just playing a girl.
I rate this attempted throw 7/10, not quite enough to get there but an impressive attempt regardless.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I am meeting nothing but rogues on ladder. All of them do nothing but go face. What a sad piece of trash blizzard have reduced my favourite class to...

Oct 27, 2017
Reached legend with mech hunter this month. Probably took less than 30 games from rank 4. I think I'm finally entering complete boredom phase again with this game. Need some word on the new expansion soon.
I am meeting nothing but rogues on ladder. All of them do nothing but go face. What a sad piece of trash blizzard have reduced my favourite class to...
It's not like they don't have the tools to do fun things, but with mages playing 4 or 5 giants before turn 8. Warrior pumping bombs into your deck before gaining 40 armor. Going fast or going home is rogue's only option. Blizzard didn't reduce rogue to anything, the meta did.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Reached legend with mech hunter this month. Probably took less than 30 games from rank 4. I think I'm finally entering complete boredom phase again with this game. Need some word on the new expansion soon.

It's not like they don't have the tools to do fun things, but with mages playing 4 or 5 giants before turn 8. Warrior pumping bombs into your deck before gaining 40 armor. Going fast or going home is rogue's only option. Blizzard didn't reduce rogue to anything, the meta did.

The balance changes very much changed the meta

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Holy shit. Vanish and Mind Blast are getting Hall of Famed in the next update, and a chunk of new Classic cards are being added, including two legendaries!

all of those cards area really really lower powered than anything seen in the rotating sets, for sure they are enforcing the route of killing basic and classic cards, ironically I think frostbolt and fireball are actually safe because they fit in their design philosophy of the game.

The legendaries shoudl be really bad, but highmane could be barely used, since it is in the same turn it doesn't have nearly the same impact.

overall the cards are weak and anything added to those sets should be very weak.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
While the new cards don't look all that great, the mid-year Hall of Fame (hell, even mid-expansion) is great.

Between the nerfs and Dalaran Heist in May, the buffs and new legendary in June, and now new cards and HoF in July, the Hearthstone team really seems to be committing hard to regular updates in between major expansions. This kind of approach is honestly something I've wanted for years, and it feels great to finally see it happening.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
that's a pretty big update, their design philosophy has changed entirely. Definitely good direction. I'm personally done with playing the game and won't play anymore but I still like watching here and there so that's cool.

Hunter:
Limitations: Card draw and generation.

That's clearly not the case right now, they have a lot of work to do...

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I think Brightwing will see a lot of play. 3 mana 3/2 draw a card is pretty good, and it has a tribe. The other legendary is OK. The rest of the cards are straight trash.

Those class identities are funny because half of the current meta decks straight up excel at the self professed weakness. Murloc shaman probably generates more cards than any other deck, mech paladin works because of cost reduction, and hunter poison/AOE board clear is all over the place. Kind of funny how one legendary or a couple cards can completely redefine the "character" of a class.

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
I think Brightwing will see a lot of play. 3 mana 3/2 draw a card is pretty good, and it has a tribe. The other legendary is OK. The rest of the cards are straight trash.

Those class identities are funny because half of the current meta decks straight up excel at the self professed weakness. Murloc shaman probably generates more cards than any other deck, mech paladin works because of cost reduction, and hunter poison/AOE board clear is all over the place. Kind of funny how one legendary or a couple cards can completely redefine the "character" of a class.

Yeah it's interesting because they mentioned making neutral card that can shore up the weaknesses of classes, so I'm not sure how much they want to push neutrals in that direction or double down on class identities. It will probably take a few sets for this game design philosophy to take hold.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Putting their vision for all classes on paper might be what they end up regretting the most about this update.

Just looking at Druid, a class should never have both "mana generation" and "card draw" as strengths, and I'm not sure why Blizzard hasn't learned this lesson. I'm not even sure where the idea that card draw is part of Druid's class identity comes from.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Putting their vision for all classes on paper might be what they end up regretting the most about this update.

Just looking at Druid, a class should never have both "mana generation" and "card draw" as strengths, and I'm not sure why Blizzard hasn't learned this lesson. I'm not even sure where the idea that card draw is part of Druid's class identity comes from.
Druid had lots of card draw in the classic/basic set. Nourish, Ancient of Lore (which used to draw 2), Starfire, Wrath, and Wild Growth (excess mana). Did any class have more?

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Druid had lots of card draw in the classic/basic set. Nourish, Ancient of Lore (which used to draw 2), Starfire, Wrath, and Wild Growth (excess mana). Did any class have more?

And 3 out of 4 of those cards that saw play were nerfed or famed. Ramp means sacrificing card advantage. The way to gain that card advantage back should be by getting value from the fewer but bigger cards the Druid can now play thanks to having more mana than their opponent. Ramping and then drawing into all the powerful options they'll ever need negates the risk. If you want a class to be good at mana generation, their draw has to be limited at best.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And 3 out of 4 of those cards that saw play were nerfed or famed. Ramp means sacrificing card advantage. The way to gain that card advantage back should be by getting value from the fewer but bigger cards the Druid can now play thanks to having more mana than their opponent. Ramping and then drawing into all the powerful options they'll ever need negates the risk. If you want a class to be good at mana generation, their draw has to be limited at best.
that is just because they ended up being too good, nerfs are becuase of that, but the class identity obiously had tons of card draw, thta is nothing new for the game.

The only conflicting info I saw there was that shaman was supposed to be bad at card generation but hagatha is still there, I'm not complaining, but for sure they plan on making hagatha go to wild and then having not much card generation after that.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
that is just because they ended up being too good, nerfs are becuase of that, but the class identity obiously had tons of card draw, thta is nothing new for the game.

The only conflicting info I saw there was that shaman was supposed to be bad at card generation but hagatha is still there, I'm not complaining, but for sure they plan on making hagatha go to wild and then having not much card generation after that.

They ended up being too good in the context of other cards Druid received. Card draw is less of a problem if at best you hope to draw into another beefy minion that the opponent might simply attack past or silence or hard remove. It becomes a noticeable problem if the class gets any kind of versatile tool-kit.

To be clear, I didn't look for examples where the current state of the classes contradicts the stated design goals. I haven't played in a month. I wouldn't know. But something like combining powerful ramp and powerful card draw in one class will inherently lead to tensions. Incidentally both ramp and card draw have become less and less powerful in Druid over time.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
why tf do they keep creating random ass new classic cards instead of pulling in a few gems from old sets?

give me annoyotron for my mech decks or burgle for my rogues, not some random mf cards that didn't make the cut in the last 8 sets they designed and just get thrown in the game because

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City

Agree with the bolded, I still have nightmares about turn 5-6 Ultimate Infestations

Also as a guy that mains Brightwing in HotS I hope it still has that cute voice telling everyone how it is going to kill them all. And also its art is bad, at first glance I thought it was a Murloc to make for the Old Murkeye loss when is actually a cuter faerie dragon

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so I bought the wild pack as I really want to shift over there for a bit.

I have a bunch of wild stuff from the recently relegated sets, but little from before as I stupidly dusted stuff to boost my standard builds.

i have the stupid Warlock OTK deck that's fun but hard counters to fuck now, some good decks from the last two expacs... and 5k dust which is not a huge amount.

What are the best neutral cards that I should invest in, or do you think I should see if I can build 1-2 focused decks? Not played properly since it was added.

I'm thinking cards like Emperor Thaurissan and Loatheb might be good choices. I [prefer control style decks, Warrior and Warlock if possible.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so I bought the wild pack as I really want to shift over there for a bit.

I have a bunch of wild stuff from the recently relegated sets, but little from before as I stupidly dusted stuff to boost my standard builds.

i have the stupid Warlock OTK deck that's fun but hard counters to fuck now, some good decks from the last two expacs... and 5k dust which is not a huge amount.

What are the best neutral cards that I should invest in, or do you think I should see if I can build 1-2 focused decks? Not played properly since it was added.

I'm thinking cards like Emperor Thaurissan and Loatheb might be good choices. I [prefer control style decks, Warrior and Warlock if possible.
loatheb is a wild god tbh, locks out so many games in so many decks. thaur is amazing but obviously you have to play a really slow/combo deck for him to hit hard. i use him in my big priest. big warlock is amazing but very expensive. malganis is a key figure in lots of warlock control decks. warrior, you can use odd variants if you like control. but control warlock rarely leaves the top tier of meta in some way shape or form. renolocks (odd renolock i think atm) are always a great second control warlock deck.

so for investment purposes you can't go wrong with controllocks. personally my fave wild decks nowadays are odd rogue, my big priest (which is kinda off kilter with kel thezad and thaus), and quest shaman. odd paladin never goes away and is fairly cheap to craft i think. it too rarely leaves the top 5 decks. but big priest and warlock control decks rarely if ever leave tier 1 so they're safe bets for your playstyle.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
well the mechanics are already here... we haven't abandoned discovered ever, it became a core mechanic

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
League of Explorers is generally considered one of the best expansions Blizzard has done, so not too surprising they would revisit it.

Will Elise join Dr. Boom as the only (I think) named character to have three different cards printed for them?

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Awww yis, gimme the League of Explorers!

The Hearthstone team has been frankly killing it with content this year, so I hope this momentum carries into the next expansion and the months following it.

Jailcat

May 19, 2018
I got to legend top 100 for the first time ever today :)

Wasn't keeping track of record, but I went on a big winstreak towards the end. Peaked at #9

7285-DFCE-2733-4551-BFD4-0-EE1087-DD60-E.png

Status
Not open for further replies.