• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think is the healthiest style of cuisine?

• Italian

Votes: 29 8.0%
  • Asian

Votes: 193 53.3%
  • American

Votes: 22 6.1%
  • Spanish

Votes: 46 12.7%
  • French

Votes: 15 4.1%
  • Indian

Votes: 50 13.8%
  • Mexican

Votes: 7 1.9%

• Total voters

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I originally am from Macedonia, which has a Mediterranean cuisine. Having been eating many different things here in Sweden, the food from back home feels like it has always given me the most energy and nourishment.

Not sure what is most medically true, but I would vote for that.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
You list "Asian" and then the two picture examples you used is Japanese. Why not just list it as "Japanese" in the poll?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Asian is too broad of a food type. Traditional Japanese is super healthy, but modern Szechuan is not. I voted French because it's more traditional foods that aren't hyper palatable, lots of vegetables, tubers, lean meats. I'd say only Japanese is healthier.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Lmao, my dude mentions all these european countries by name and then just summarizes the most populous continent on earth as asian.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can't put "Asian" as a single category when on the one hand you have Japanese which is possibly one of the healthiest, while on the other hand you have Filipino which is death incarnate (but tastes so amazingly good that it's worth paying the price).

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't put "Asian" as a single category when on the one hand you have Japanese which is possibly one of the healthiest, while on the other hand you have Filipino which is death incarnate (but tastes so amazingly good that it's worth paying the price).
What makes Filipino food death incarnate?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the OP must come from a very rural/suburban location. If you live in a major urban center, you can sample cuisine from every Asiatic region. If you're in a small town, its common to see everything crushed into "Asian". There's enough variation in China alone to rival the range of Europe, but you won't see all of that unless you live in LA/SF/NYC/London/Paris/Berlin/Shanghai/etc.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
"Asian" is far too broad considering the extreme differences between regions throughout the continent. Focusing on only China, the food on the coast is wildly different than inland cuisines.

Anywho, I think Korean is probably the healthiest. It's pretty much lots of greens, pickled vegetables, and barbequed proteins.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Mediterranean Style is largely considered the best with Japanese not far behind

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Everyday Filipino food in the more rural areas is fairly healthy; lots of fish, veggies and legumes. The American influence is becoming more apparent though, I'm noticing more fried foods and added sugar these days. "Fiesta" foods will certainly kill you if you eat them frequently.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I subsist on a diet almost entirely of chili con carne and Thai, Japanese, and Indian curries. In doing so, I lost 18lbs in the past month, compared to my usual diet of American dishes and snacking.

So at the very least, not American.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mediterranean is also really super broad. Egyptian food and southern French food are really nothing alike.
The Mediterranean diet is an American invention based on Italian and Greek cuisine.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Indian - I say that because a lot of their dishes are vegetarian and as a westerner with an appetite for meat, they do a damn good job of making vegetables taste amazing. South Indian cuisine in particular has really great variety.

Get some idli, vada, pav bhaji and rasam in your life

dishes-of-Tamil-Nadu.jpg

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Anything with lots of fish, vegetables (like seaweed) and vegetable based oils (olive oil) iirc

so as has been said that is like Japan and Mediterranean areas

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just noticed the bowl of ramen (Japanese-Chinese dish) has a bottle of Tsing Tao (Chinese beer) beside it. The sushi is clearly an Americanized/Californian sushi place with things like "Dragon Roll" on the menu.

Is that saffron, carrot and brocolli in the ramen? At least the egg looks just right.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just noticed the bowl of ramen (Japanese-Chinese dish) has a bottle of Tsing Tao (Chinese beer) beside it. The sushi is clearly an Americanized/Californian sushi place with things like "Dragon Roll" on the menu.

Is that saffron, carrot and brocolli in the ramen? At least the egg looks just right.
There is a whole lot of north American west coast sushi rolls that I think are great, and I kinda hate this conservatism sushi tend to have. In a lot of cases it's just putting availability and cost of ingredients in Japan at a random point in time on a pedestal that it doesn't deserve.

Complaints about ramen authenticity are always weird to me since if look at that dish through the authenticity lens, ramen is a comically failed attempt at Chinese dish. But luckily, we didn't.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Most resources I've seen say Mediterranean is the winner here so OP messes up the poll.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As with many things in life, the correct answer is whatever is the hardest for you to get

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I would say Korean or Japanese, but give the edge to Korea. It's not all KBBQ like some people think. A lot of korean dishes don't even have meat. Most of it is the power of the sides. Plus the additional fermentation benefits.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Probably Indian - I say that because a lot of their dishes are vegetarian and as a westerner with an appetite for meat, they do a damn good job of making vegetables taste amazing. South Indian cuisine in particular has really great variety.

Get some idli, vada, pav bhaji and rasam in your life

dishes-of-Tamil-Nadu.jpg
Restaurant Indian food tends to be super heavy in butter and/or creams (at least in the US). It's super tasty but despite being vegetarian it's actually not really all that healthy. I think that's a big problem with all these choices though, the food you'd get in a restaurant contains way more sodium, fat, etc because that's what's going to give it really strong flavors. If you were to cook them at home all of these cuisines have healthy lighter (but still tasty options).

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Mexican is the best, but it's not the healthiest ;( I'd eat pambazos daily if I could.

Instant ramen sure. The traditional preparation is somewhat more nutritious.
Nah, it's still a ton of salt and fat. And basically all carbs. I love it, but it's not healthy.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I think the healthiest stuff I eat are the curries I make at home, meat (or veg) with a tomato based sauce, some olive oil and some spices, doesn't even need too much sodium to be good. Serve with rice. I could basically live off that stuff alongside some veg.

Of course things like butter chicken are going to be loaded with fat and if you're having a bunch of bread with every meal it's not going to be so healthy any more.

I'll also add that curry isn't an exclusive Indian concept. I think Nepalese dishes might be my favorite (and reportedly healthier?)

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of it is fried, stewed in pork fat, or has a lot of sugar. Sometimes all three. It's a lot of saturated fat and cholesterol. It's is some of the tastiest food I've ever had though. If you've never had it, make some Filipino friends or visit San Bruno, CA (or Hawaii).

That's from us Spaniards lol
In Spain we have three different zones cuisine-wise.
  • Mediterranean and southern Atlantic: it's normal Mediterranean cuisine, a lot of alive oil, a lot of legumes, fish etc. Pretty healthy.
  • Northern atlantic: a lot of fish, a lot of legumes, but more meat. Less healthy overall.
  • "central": meat every day of the week! Still plenty of legumes.
In every one of those olive oil is king. But the type of proteins change.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Restaurant Indian food tends to be super heavy in butter and/or creams (at least in the US). It's super tasty but despite being vegetarian it's actually not really all that healthy. I think that's a big problem with all these choices though, the food you'd get in a restaurant contains way more sodium, fat, etc because that's what's going to give it really strong flavors. If you were to cook them at home all of these cuisines have healthy lighter (but still tasty options).

Yea Indian Restaurants in the US mostly just serve one type of Indian cuisine and thats also heavy on the butter. Grouping all the Indian cuisines into just "Indian" and asking is it healthy just doesnt make sense. South indian cuisine is extremely different and hardly uses any butter/cream and not a lot of bread either , its mostly rice and steamed rice crepes.

But regardless the premise of the entire thread is kinda weird. The cuisine doesn't matter , what you eat in the cuisine matters. Kinda unfair to point at the dishes that are popular in restaurants and say the cuisine isn't as healthy. Most people don't eat that stuff everyday at home.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019
Instant ramen sure. The traditional preparation is somewhat more nutritious.

Trust me, I wish it was healthy since its so damn delicious. But its high in sodium, carbs, and fat. Im sure there are healthier versions of Ramen you can get, but the unhealthy stuff is what gives it so much yummy flavor. Its also suprisingly high in calories. Fun fact, in japan, they are trying to market a lower calorie version on ramen to women there because ramen is seen as way too high in calories.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Nah, it's still a ton of salt and fat. And basically all carbs. I love it, but it's not healthy.
Like any other food a bowl of ramen can be made more or less healthy depending on the ratio of salt, noodles and vegetables, and the bone stock used in traditional ramen is itself highly nutritious. High sodium and fat content is a problem with soup in general and not necessarily unique to ramen.

Last edited:

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Overall middle eastern food if don't go overboard with the pita.

Very filling, lots of different fresh veggies and meat.

Oct 27, 2017
Mediterranean, although I know that's a whole lot of different cuisines bundled together. Vegetables, some fruit, whole grains, beans, and some seafood, poultry, dairy, nuts, and eggs. Plus herbs and spices.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
That's from us Spaniards lol
In Spain we have three different zones cuisine-wise.
  • Mediterranean and southern Atlantic: it's normal Mediterranean cuisine, a lot of alive oil, a lot of legumes, fish etc. Pretty healthy.
  • Northern atlantic: a lot of fish, a lot of legumes, but more meat. Less healthy overall.
  • "central": meat every day of the week! Still plenty of legumes.
In every one of those olive oil is king. But the type of proteins change.
North Atlantic also known as stew land.

pote-asturiano.jpeg

450_1000.jpg

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
"Asian" is too broad, so I wanna mention Vietnamese food specifically. Lots of greens, lean meat and rice based meals.