• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Hi,

With Sony giving so much importance to audio in their PS5 messaging - Tempest engine - do you think they will have a new line of headsets ready for launch?

I'm asking this because I'm looking to buy a new set and future proof, at the same time. So, I was looking at the Sony Platinum Wireless Headset, but I'm not entirely sure if that's the best choice, since it's a 2017 model. At the same time, I like that developers have profiles for that headset.

I'm also looking at the Steelseries Arctis 7 (2019 edition) and everything in that price range.

Oh, and I'm not opposed to a wired solution, since I'm also looking at the Arctis Pro (without the GAMEDAC)

Thank you!

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Sony supported the PS3's Pulse Elite headphones on PS4. I would hope they support the Gold and Platinum headsets on PS5.

However, they may not be capable of everything audiowise the PS5 is doing. That's a different question entirely.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
You should add a question mark to the end of your title whenever it's not a statement or announcement.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a new line of expensive wireless headsets at launch because I'm sure they could sell a lot with a new console, but we already know that the controller has an audio jack. I'd like to think (but wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the case) that would be good enough for Tempest audio and that's what most people would use when not using some kind of speakers.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Wait. If the console supports standard BT headsets, there are so many great non-proprietary sources. Many of them made by Sony, but way better than the ones in their gaming line.

Even if they don't, consider a wired headset.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
They will make 1 at launch, have a more premium one 1-2 years later and license 25 others from 10 different companies.

Oct 25, 2017
the ocean
It would be cool if the PS5 supported WH-1000MX3s and other headsets like it. Sure you can get a Bluetooth transmitter for PS4 atm, but having it built-in and maybe optimized for next-gen would be nice.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I'm going to wait and see what's offered or recommended. Ideally I would like one set of headphones to get all the nice audio features with PS5 and XSX.

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019
Almost had me there OP. I see them releasing new headsets whilst current ones still being useable.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they support LDAC (I think Sony has a hand in this tech) as it'll allow higher bitrate vis Bluetooth

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I can imagine them having a good quality pair of headphones to go with that fancy sound engine they have

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
With the dedicated audio blocks sitting in both consoles, I can only imagine they will have some nice partnerships lined up to support the audio.

I expect some nice hi res headsets to launch in that period.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably just simulated audio like everything else with spatial audio. Get a really good pair of 50mm drivers on a solid headset and you'll be just fine.