• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Just received Arya Stealth today. Bit disappointed by the box (its just cardboard) but I guess I'd rather have the money put into the headphone than its box.
EDIT: happily surprised by the low end on these things
I honestly wish I could hear the Stealth but maybe I don't want to because I'm completely satisfied by my non-Stealth version.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wish I could hear the Stealth but maybe I don't want to because I'm completely satisfied by my non-Stealth version.

I love the sound I'm getting out of them. And they are super comfortable. Honestly the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.
I am considering returning them though. I didn't do a ton of research about this brand before I bought them. I'm concerned about the build quality. They appear fine but reading online I see a lot of complaints from people about their Hifimans breaking and/or failing after a year.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping someone here can give me a couple of recommendations for wireless earbuds. I've been looking around at various reviews for a few days now, and can't find anything that seems like it will entirely fit my use case, so I keep waffling back and forth.

My criteria is:

Good for heavy metal
Sweat-proof/resistant, as I will be using these when exercising
Black or dark grey casing
I'd be using them on both my iPhone, and on a Windows PC
Ideally around the $150-200 range
Good ANC is a plus, but it's not that high of a priority

Ones that I have on my radar (but all are not perfect) are the Samsung Buds Pro, Jabra Elite 7 Pro, and the Sennheiser CX Plus.

I use NuraTrue wireless earbuds and I think I'm pretty loyal to their brand at this stage. I really like the personalised sound (they use otoaccoustic emissions from your EAR to create an EQ profile based on your hearing).

I don't listen to super heavy metal because I don't like that genre of music, but I think stuff from bands like Nova Twins, Blood Command, In This Moment, Turnstile, Drug Church, Dinosaur Pileup and so forth all sounds great.

I don't know how they compare to the options you listed, but I liked their sound quite a bit more than the Sony WF 1000XM4 which is quite a bit outside of your budget. With all of that said, they still don't compare well to good speakers or more expensive open back headphones I have at home.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I love the sound I'm getting out of them. And they are super comfortable. Honestly the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.
I am considering returning them though. I didn't do a ton of research about this brand before I bought them. I'm concerned about the build quality. They appear fine but reading online I see a lot of complaints from people about their Hifimans breaking and/or failing after a year.
Do you specifically see Arya complaints though? It's a super solid headphone, the thread on Head-Fi is active and I can't recall many posts about failures. You have to do what you feel is best though.

And yeah it's a really comfortable headphone, My head is gigantic plus I wear my afro out some times so I wear the Arya almost at full extension on the arms, but it disappears on my head and I fall asleep with it on almost every night. My set must literally have 1000s of hours on it haha.

In the end, I've heard tale from people I trust that the difference between the V2 and the Stealth isn't as drastic as the early hysteria suggested, so I am going to happily enjoy the version I have as my endgame open-back.

Only issue I have is that my Gen 1 Schiit Jotunheim is dying and is beyond the 5 year warranty. It's had a good run. Since I really need an all in one, I'm thinking about picking up the Hifiman EF400.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
Image dump incoming! This year has been quite a journey for me as far as audio goes...

IEM setup:
Questyle M15 > Aroma A100TB + PS100
Interconnect: Eletech Iliad

m15-1yak7a.png
m15-2r4jr5.png
m15-3kikfv.png

Replaced the Cayin RU6 with the M15 and definitely prefer it. Featured IEM is a Unique Melody MEST MKII CIEM. Considering the Subtonic Storm as my endgame IEM.

Over-ear setup:
Amplifier: CFA3 Zero Feedback
DDC: Audio-GD DI-20HE
DAC: Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 MKII (Platinum+)

cfa3-18gj61.png
cfa3-248jah.png
cfa3-3anj40.png

Amplifier is by a known builder in Sweden. My amp is one of his very last ones. Got to pick all of the parts and chassis size. I designed the faceplates for the amp and its PSU. Took a little bit, but it was totally worth the wait. The DAC isn't fully in frame. It's a vintage UltraAnalog D20400A tube hybrid. Sounds better than most options out there. The only DAC that surpasses it, to my ears, is probably the Rockna Wavedream. Featured headphone is a modded HIFIMAN HE6seV2, which is now in storage.

Mobile setup:
DAP: iBasso DX320
IEM: Sennheiser IE600
IEM cable: Brise BSEP

dx320-1eojuc.png
dx320-2b6k5f.png

DX320 uses a dual ROHM BD34301EKV setup. This is the only delta-sigma solution I've heard that actually comes close to the UltraAnalog R2R chips as far as timbre is concerned. Technical presentation isn't quite there yet, but I think ROHM DACs are far better sounding than a majority of AKM and ESS implementations.

HIFIMAN Susvara:
susvara1njq7.png
dh1i1jdw.png
dh2k9jh0.png

Got this in yesterday and I'm quite pleased with it! Cable is a custom silver 22awg 8-wire job. The splitter features a M.C. Escher tessellation pattern. I planned my over-ear chain with the intent of getting the most out of this headphone.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
still rocking my v2 arya's, and i cant really complain, even if part of me wants to explore even more expensive options. the arya's are really that good

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Image dump incoming! This year has been quite a journey for me as far as audio goes...

IEM setup:
Questyle M15 > Aroma A100TB + PS100
Interconnect: Eletech Iliad

m15-1yak7a.png
m15-2r4jr5.png
m15-3kikfv.png

Replaced the Cayin RU6 with the M15 and definitely prefer it. Featured IEM is a Unique Melody MEST MKII CIEM. Considering the Subtonic Storm as my endgame IEM.

Over-ear setup:
Amplifier: CFA3 Zero Feedback
DDC: Audio-GD DI-20HE
DAC: Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 MKII (Platinum+)

cfa3-18gj61.png
cfa3-248jah.png
cfa3-3anj40.png

Amplifier is by a known builder in Sweden. My amp is one of his very last ones. Got to pick all of the parts and chassis size. I designed the faceplates for the amp and its PSU. Took a little bit, but it was totally worth the wait. The DAC isn't fully in frame. It's a vintage UltraAnalog D20400A tube hybrid. Sounds better than most options out there. The only DAC that surpasses it, to my ears, is probably the Rockna Wavedream. Featured headphone is a modded HIFIMAN HE6seV2, which is now in storage.

Mobile setup:

dx320-1eojuc.png
dx320-2b6k5f.png

DX320 uses a dual ROHM BD34301EKV setup. This is the only delta-sigma solution I've heard that actually comes close to the UltraAnalog R2R chips as far as timbre is concerned. Technical presentation isn't quite there yet, but I think ROHM DACs are far better sounding than a majority of AKM and ESS implementations.

HIFIMAN Susvara:
susvara1njq7.png
dh1i1jdw.png
dh2k9jh0.png

Got this in yesterday and I'm quite pleased with it! Cable is a custom silver 22awg 8-wire job. The splitter features a M.C. Escher tessellation pattern. I planned my over-ear chain with the intent of getting the most out of this headphone.
CFA3! NICE!!!!
Big fan of this beast of an amp.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
is this thread for audiophiles only or can I ask about mundane/cheap gaming headsets here too?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
is this thread for audiophiles only or can I ask about mundane/cheap gaming headsets here too?
I have owned almost every shitty gaming headsset under the sun that broke within a week since I started working from home, so I can definitely help you avoid some of the bad ones.

Half of the reason I rage bought the ZMF Atticus, Schiit Hel 2E, and the associated mic cable was because two Razer headsets I bought broke back to back.

HyperX Cloud Ii Is the only one I have that is still alive after two years of WFH.

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
On the topic of gaming headsets, Sony's INZONE headsets appear to be a bit messy.

I haven't tried them, but I'm really not a big fan of the Sony XM4s to begin with so I don't think I'd like them anyway.

View: https://youtu.be/qEoRZYxQqQ4

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Got a pair of the Hifiman HE5XX's this week as an alternative to my 58X Jubilees that have been my primary headphones for ~1.5 years mostly because I was interested in planar magnetic drivers, so far very pleased. I'm using the same O2 DAC/AMP as the 58X's. The 58X's were proceeded by a pair of 598's I didn't run through an amp at all, so had been pretty much on Sennheiser cans for years until now and a lot of the comments on Sennheiser's sound profiles make a lot more sense. The HE5XX's might not be quite as "clean" at the high end but the bass is on a different level and while I really liked the 58X's open feeling the HE5XX's almost feel like listening to a nice speaker system in that regard.

Just figured I'd mention it here. Drop lists them at $229 now but I ordered largely because they were on sale for $180 a month or so ago. The 58X's are currently on sale for $159 (think thats around what I paid for them) with a list of $199. At $30 apart (list and respective best sale price gaps) I would personally definitely take the HE5XX's as long as I had a good amp for it (I found I liked the 58X's on low gain the best but the HE5XX's sound best with the extra push imo).

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
If I buy a 6.35mm to 2.5mm adapter to connect my LCD-2C's to the Qudelix 5K in balanced mode, will that work? Or do I need a whole new "balanced" cable straight from the LCD's too?

EDIT: Nvm, found my answer (Nope).

Last edited:

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Needing suggestions for a new pair of headphones, hoping you all can help.

Due to a car accident years ago, I get headaches and migraines quite easily unfortunately. So I wear glasses that are extremely lightweight and can't wear those closed ear headphones with glasses on due to the pressure it causes.

For gaming purposes, I've been using Bose wired noise canceling in ear buds. But it's starting to fall apart due to age. v_v

I play games that would cause issues with the lag inherent with Bluetooth, so wireless isn't an option.

But it seems Bose stopped making wired earbuds completely, so not sure what to look for now. Noise canceling is critical, as it's noisy in this house. Price isn't a major issue if it's worth it.

Any suggestions you all might have for this situation?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Needing suggestions for a new pair of headphones, hoping you all can help.

Due to a car accident years ago, I get headaches and migraines quite easily unfortunately. So I wear glasses that are extremely lightweight and can't wear those closed ear headphones with glasses on due to the pressure it causes.

For gaming purposes, I've been using Bose wired noise canceling in ear buds. But it's starting to fall apart due to age. v_v

I play games that would cause issues with the lag inherent with Bluetooth, so wireless isn't an option.

But it seems Bose stopped making wired earbuds completely, so not sure what to look for now. Noise canceling is critical, as it's noisy in this house. Price isn't a major issue if it's worth it.

Any suggestions you all might have for this situation?
If it must be wired, maybe look into the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC33iS.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
If it must be wired, maybe look into the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC33iS.
Adding on to this, the market is really pretty small for wired earbuds (ignoring IEMs for a second), and the market for such with design considerations for noise cancelling, especially active, is even smaller. The ATH-ANC33iS is pretty much the only option on that front that I would bother with, though they're not exceptional sounding by any means.

Now if we stop ignoring IEMs for a second, a good well-fitting IEM will have reasonable noise cancelling effects purely from the fit and seal. The caveat to this is that IEMs aren't for everyone, I can handle them for many hours but some people find how far they sit in the ears, and how they sit on the ear in general quite uncomfortable. They can be really great for gaming if they are for you though, and even more amazing for music. If you wanted to step your toes into the water, the KZ ZS10 Pro's are excellent value for money and I know a couple of people who use them as their dedicated gaming earphones. One of their costs cutting measures though, is the quality of their ear tips so if you find you like them but that the ear tips just aren't as comfy as you like, there is an entire sizable industry around IEM accessories, particularly tips. I personally use Comply Foam Tips, but I'm one of those weird foam tip people to start with. A lot of people run KZ products with Spinfits, I'm a personal fan of the Spinfit CP100s.

Darkatomz

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Adding on to this, the market is really pretty small for wired earbuds (ignoring IEMs for a second), and the market for such with design considerations for noise cancelling, especially active, is even smaller. The ATH-ANC33iS is pretty much the only option on that front that I would bother with, though they're not exceptional sounding by any means.

Now if we stop ignoring IEMs for a second, a good well-fitting IEM will have reasonable noise cancelling effects purely from the fit and seal. The caveat to this is that IEMs aren't for everyone, I can handle them for many hours but some people find how far they sit in the ears, and how they sit on the ear in general quite uncomfortable. They can be really great for gaming if they are for you though, and even more amazing for music. If you wanted to step your toes into the water, the KZ ZS10 Pro's are excellent value for money and I know a couple of people who use them as their dedicated gaming earphones. One of their costs cutting measures though, is the quality of their ear tips so if you find you like them but that the ear tips just aren't as comfy as you like, there is an entire sizable industry around IEM accessories, particularly tips. I personally use Comply Foam Tips, but I'm one of those weird foam tip people to start with. A lot of people run KZ products with Spinfits, I'm a personal fan of the Spinfit CP100s.
Using the Comply tips will be the next best thing to a custom fit as far as noise reduction goes. Pair them with the Moondrop Aria and you have a solid sub-$100 IEM solution.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Using the Comply tips will be the next best thing to a custom fit as far as noise reduction goes. Pair them with the Moondrop Aria and you have a sub $100 IEM solution.
QFT.
Comply make amazing tips. Honestly, I love foam tips in general, but they really aren't for everyone. My partner really doesn't like how they feel in the ear, and uses Spinfits on her Blessing2:Dusk's instead of foam tips and I quite like how they feel as well but I have hard to fit ears so foams will always be my preference.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I should get some more comply tips, and maybe some hybrid tips (those foam-filled silicon tips). Already getting some pretty damn solid isolation with the Globes with just the ePro horn tips which are really thin and kind of flimsy silicon tips, so I would imagine the Globes + foams would be nuts.

Darkatomz

Oct 27, 2017
CA
QFT.
Comply make amazing tips. Honestly, I love foam tips in general, but they really aren't for everyone. My partner really doesn't like how they feel in the ear, and uses Spinfits on her Blessing2:Dusk's instead of foam tips and I quite like how they feel as well but I have hard to fit ears so foams will always be my preference.
I use both Comply and Spinfit on my Moondrop B2D. Spinfit at home since they are easier to put in and remove, Comply for on-the-go and better noise isolation.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I have owned almost every shitty gaming headsset under the sun that broke within a week since I started working from home, so I can definitely help you avoid some of the bad ones.

Half of the reason I rage bought the ZMF Atticus, Schiit Hel 2E, and the associated mic cable was because two Razer headsets I bought broke back to back.

HyperX Cloud Ii Is the only one I have that is still alive after two years of WFH.
How is the Hel 2E? I have the Hel with the micro USB ports but have almost thought about upgrading just for usb C.

For gaming headsets my family has managed to beat the fuck out of Astro A40s and they're still kicking. I'm personally a fan of the game one from Sennheiser that then became the PC37X then the PC38X.

Mobile setup:

dx320-1eojuc.png
dx320-2b6k5f.png

How are you liking the IE 600?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
How is the Hel 2E? I have the Hel with the micro USB ports but have almost thought about upgrading just for usb C.

For gaming headsets my family has managed to beat the fuck out of Astro A40s and they're still kicking. I'm personally a fan of the game one from Sennheiser that then became the PC37X then the PC38X.
The 2E is so good I don't even bother unplugging my Atticus from it when I get off of work, plenty of power for such a compact unit and I kinda prefer its darker sound signature with that headphone over my Jotunheim.

I probably will never have need for another gaming headset since I have the Atticus + mic cable, but if I ever have to buy one it's 100% going to be the PC38X.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
The 2E is so good I don't even bother unplugging my Atticus from it when I get off of work, plenty of power for such a compact unit and I kinda prefer its darker sound signature with that headphone over my Jotunheim.

I probably will never have need for another gaming headset since I have the Atticus + mic cable, but if I ever have to buy one it's 100% going to be the PC38X.
I like my Hel (1? I guess) but I hate the micro usb on it. I am seriously thinking of just upgrading to a 2E to get USB C for compatibility. Maybe if I get a steam deck some time in the future so I have something I can use near my bed and get good sound out of a portable system.

Anyone have any good suggestion for ear tips for IEMs that don't build up pressure? I have some Sennheiser IE 600s and I can't get them to fit comfortably without feeling like my ears have suction cups in them.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Got a Hifiman EF400 on the way, and im pretty damn stoked. I have heard good things (pun fully intended), and feel like it's going to make my Arya's sing. I also have some Elite Hybrid pads from Dekoni coming, but I'm nervous about changing my Arya pads out. It doesnt look easy and I dont want to fuck anything up >_>

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Got a Hifiman EF400 on the way, and im pretty damn stoked. I have heard good things (pun fully intended), and feel like it's going to make my Arya's sing. I also have some Elite Hybrid pads from Dekoni coming, but I'm nervous about changing my Arya pads out. It doesnt look easy and I dont want to fuck anything up >_>
Dammit I want one too!!! The USB port on my 5+ year old Schiit Jotunheim is getting wonky and disconnects if I bump or jostle it, which is giving me the replacement itch. The EF400 looks like the perfect all-in-one DAC/amp, but I am also under a strict pact to not spend any more serious money for the rest of the year because I want to save to drop like $2k on a gaming laptop in Q1 of 2023.

I also messed around with taking off my Arya's right earpad the other day and gave up lmao. The driver was rattling when heavy bass hit which set me into a panic, but then I remembered someone saying to check the magnets for hair. I didn't feel comfortable pulling the pad off so I just held the earcup up to my mouth and blew air through the magnets, which must have dislodged a hair because the rattle went away. Phew.

The Arya's stockk pads are basically hybrids already, why the change?

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
The Arya's stockk pads are basically hybrids already, why the change?

I've had my Arya's for just over 2 years now, and the cloth on the right earpad is coming loose from the back. I have to keep folding the cloth back under the earpad so that it doesn't stick out and mess with the sound in any way. I could probably hang on to these for another few months but it isn't going to get any better than it is now and I might as well bite the bullet and try to replace them. I mean, it isn't impossible to do, but damn it looks like a pain in the ass and I know that I'll be nervous af doing it lol

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I've had my Arya's for just over 2 years now, and the cloth on the right earpad is coming loose from the back. I have to keep folding the cloth back under the earpad so that it doesn't stick out and mess with the sound in any way. I could probably hang on to these for another few months but it isn't going to get any better than it is now and I might as well bite the bullet and try to replace them. I mean, it isn't impossible to do, but damn it looks like a pain in the ass and I know that I'll be nervous af doing it lol
Dekoni posted a video that makes it look straightforward:

View: https://youtu.be/sSTDKIxiqQo

ara

Oct 26, 2017
On a computer? Equalizer APO + Peace
On the go? Qudelix 5k

Yeah, these for me, too. I mostly EQ by ear, though, and by that I mean I just mess around with different EQ settings and see what effects they have and if something seems like it leads to a more pleasing sound, I dive deeper into it. It's a lot of fun!

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck! I'd be interested to hear what you think of the new pads, especially how they sound compared to the stock ones.

Success! Ngl, I was puckered the entire time I was installing them, and I actually installed them backwards and had to get them off and try again >_>

So, after listening to them for roughly 15 mins (not long at all, that is), they sound slightly more airy, with maybe a slightly enhanced soundstage in terms of width. Also there may be a slight (very very slight) boost in the bass presence? It's hard to tell though, honestly. But they do sound good and are extremely comfy!

Now to open up my EF400 and give it a whirl :D

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Update: EF400 is blowing my mind. I had a Schiit modi 3 feeding into a THX789 and this is trouncing the shit out of it. Better everything: soundstage, bass depth, detail, dynamics, you name it.

im in love :D

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Got the ZMF perforated suede pads for my 6XX today, absolutely love them. Feels like a brand new pair of headphones.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Got the ZMF perforated suede pads for my 6XX today, absolutely love them. Feels like a brand new pair of headphones.

Still gotta try these with my 58Xs, but god damn they are expensive. Shipping and taxes included, one pair of pads would cost me like a 100 euros. I like ZMFs products but yeesh.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
looking for a decent pair of headphones that can do aptX-HD via bluetooth and hi-res audio via 3.5mm, are the WH1000XM3's my only real option for both of those? i know the XM4's and XM5's can do hi-res via 3.5mm but they only offer LDAC now instead of aptX-HD

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
looking for a decent pair of headphones that can do aptX-HD via bluetooth and hi-res audio via 3.5mm, are the WH1000XM3's my only real option for both of those? i know the XM4's and XM5's can do hi-res via 3.5mm but they only offer LDAC now instead of aptX-HD
Sennheiser PXC 550-II is the only other one beside the XM3 that can do wired too.

edit: Forgot the V-MODA Crossfade 2

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
ara pointed me to this thread so I think it best to ask here now.

What would be a good portable headphone amp I can use with an iPhone, iPad or MacBook. I found some but have no clue what to look for. I found one from FiiO but I don't want to buy devices with a Micro USB connection anymore. It does not have to be dirt cheap but I would prefer not to enter this minefield with a 1500€ amp lol.

Thanks for the help

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
ara pointed me to this thread so I think it best to ask here now.

What would be a good portable headphone amp I can use with an iPhone, iPad or MacBook. I found some but have no clue what to look for. I found one from FiiO but I don't want to buy devices with a Micro USB connection anymore. It does not have to be dirt cheap but I would prefer not to enter this minefield with a 1500€ amp lol.

Thanks for the help
I was typing a post in your other thread just now but thought to look here.

Can you say what the total max budget is, all in, for the new headphone and the amp?

You keep saying what you DON'T want to spend, but not what you will.

Beebeard

Oct 29, 2017
I've been limited recently to headphones that cost no more than a hundo. Budget beauties only.

The Monoprice Retro cans are extremely good for $27. These have been around for a while, and constantly go in and out of production / availability. Sometimes they go on sale for $15?! Think about that. Just fifteen damn dollars. Hardcore headphone nerds with nothing to gain, and whose integrity costs way more than a $27 pair of phones from a vendor known better for their HDMI cables...genuinely like these things and review them positively. They're right. These headphones are aggressively above-average. I think they're arguably the best you can possibly do for $30, unless you get lucky at a garage sale or eBay auction? Still clear mids and highs even in bass-heavy playback. Warm soundstage.

You're fine going right into the headphone jack, but will get better results with a DAC, because they seem to respond well to a power. I've been using a tiny SMSL SD793 desktop unit with it. Drivers won't fatigue you with extended listening, but the stickiness of the default cushions might. The people who recommend upgrading the cushions are quite correct. Biggest negative for me is the lack of a removable cable, in case I want to switch out cans easily, or use something like my V-Moda Boom Pro headsets. And yet? Everything sounds so much better on these than it has any right to, at this price point. Have had these for just a day or two and daaaaamn. They're not even broken in yet.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I was typing a post in your other thread just now but thought to look here.

Can you say what the total max budget is, all in, for the new headphone and the amp?

You keep saying what you DON'T want to spend, but not what you will.
Ha, of course! I don't have a fixed budget, I'm trying to get an idea

I think a portable amp is around 200€? That would be fine.
Listening to my Philips for the first time in a quiet room was very special. I think I would pay maybe 300€ or something for headphones that are a noticeable improvement.

I'm not rushing it. If it gets more expensive so be it but I don't think I'll jump from 100€ for the Philips to something that's 1000€

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia

Listening to my Philips for the first time in a quiet room was very special. I think I would pay maybe 300€ or something for headphones that are a noticeable improvement.

I'm not rushing it. If it gets more expensive so be it but I don't think I'll jump from 100€ for the Philips to something that's 1000€
I've ended up replacing all my semi-portable equipment with just a Qudelix-5K. You can use it via Bluetooth (which I mainly do these days, despite not buying it with the intent to use the Bluetooth much), or you can use it via usb-c. It's small, and has a lot of decent features as a DAC/AMP combo. It can run some decently thirsty cans, though if you need something to run particularly thirsty headphones you may want to look elsewhere. It sounds as good as the best of what's in the price range it's at. It's probably one of the few zero downsides no-duh purchases in the audio world.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the Qudelix 5k rules. I still use my iFi Black Label whatever whatever long name for desktop use, but for everything else, it's the Q5k all the way, and I like it so much that I've found myself using my IEMs a lot more in recent months (whenever my tinnitus chills out a bit). One of those rare devices that I'll replace immediately with another one if it ever breaks. Just hoping they'll release a v2 at some point with better buttons, really my only complaint with that device.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Nice, that's not even that expensive.
I think I'll start with that!
Here is my recommendation if we're looking to make a seismic impact vs the X2HR. Consider the Hifiman Edition XS. Watch some reviews on Youtube. You get better everything over the Fidelio as far as sound goes.