• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StrangeWit

Oct 27, 2017
Looking to upgrade my HD598 to a new pair of headphones in the near future. A lot of people on r/headphoneadvice seem to be suggesting the HiFiMan Sundaras as more common option to upgrade to. I mainly listen to Rock music and game with my HD598. Is that a good upgrade to go to or should I look into a different pair?
I have the HD598 and I recently added both the Sundaras and the 6XX to my collection.

Sound is subjective, but to me the Sundaras sound more dynamic, and a bit more analytical than the HD598; however, the sound can be a bit fatiguing for extensive listening/playing sessions. Many people on r/headphones have suggested that they need to be EQ'd. I've heard they also need an amp to properly drive them, and I'd have to agree -- as I have to turn them up to nearly double the volume of my HD598 on my respective amps, unless I flip the high gain switch. Also, as firehawk12 suggested, I also don't think they'd do well connected to a controller.

I use the Sundaras with my PC connected through a Fiio e10k -- which is adequate to power them, but probably not the best. The e10k has a bass boost, which definitely helps with the Sundaras. I also use them with my Schiit stack to listen to vinyl, and watch tv.

Gaming wise, I've mostly only played Elden Ring lately (PC) with them on, and it sounds great. I'm not sure how they'd do for games where you need to pick out enemies around you in the environment -- though, I don't think the sound is that much narrower than the HD598. However, I haven't done any real A B comparisons to test this out.

On the music side, I think the Sundaras perform pretty well. If EQ'd, they have a solid bass hit in the lower registers. Keep in mind, I mostly listen to jazz, funk, electronic, and alternative rock.

One last thing, Hifiman aren't particularily well regarded for their quality control. I luckily didn't have any such issues. I bought my pair through Amazon, so I'd be able to easily return them if they didn't work out.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Looking to upgrade my HD598 to a new pair of headphones in the near future. A lot of people on r/headphoneadvice seem to be suggesting the HiFiMan Sundaras as more common option to upgrade to. I mainly listen to Rock music and game with my HD598. Is that a good upgrade to go to or should I look into a different pair?
Question for you. Do you LIKE the way the 598s sound? If so and you have an amp, the 560s are a solid step up from the 598. They are more neutral than the 598 but are solid for music and fantastic for gaming.

If you're mainly in it for music and want a more more lively headphone, the 58x Jubilee is damn good. Even though it has the 5 series in the name it's a 6 series headphone that sits in between the 600 and the 650. I like it a LOT and use it for listening to rock, hip hop, and electronic music when I'm at work. The thing I love about this set is they have never gotten fatiguing for me yet. I have a pair of HD 660s for example, which sound great but I can't listen to them for more than an hour or two without them getting shrill. Don't have that issue with the 58x.

Last edited:

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Question for you. Do you LIKE the way the 598s sound? If so and you have an amp, the 560s are a solid step up from the 598. They are more neutral than the 598 but are solid for music and fantastic for gaming.
The 598s have a good sound but I think I could use maybe a tad more bass to it. Also in the years since I've had those 598s I have changed the earpads due to them just getting a bit disgusting from use, so I'm not sure if those earpads have also screwed with the sound signature of the headphones too. I don't have any amps and I'm not sure where to start.

Also thanks for the suggestions so far, all three of you. I should add that I game on my PC so I've only got the onboard audio driving the 598s. I'll take a look at the headphones you're all mentioning so far.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
The 598s have a good sound but I think I could use maybe a tad more bass to it. Also in the years since I've had those 598s I have changed the earpads due to them just getting a bit disgusting from use, so I'm not sure if those earpads have also screwed with the sound signature of the headphones too. I don't have any amps and I'm not sure where to start.

Also thanks for the suggestions so far, all three of you. I should add that I game on my PC so I've only got the onboard audio driving the 598s. I'll take a look at the headphones you're all mentioning so far.
If you want more bass the 58x Are great and really sound fantastic. Pretty cheap too on drop.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's got some treble. It's very clear. It's a good headphone but if you are using it for gaming I would seriously suggest the PC38x which is what I'm using for gaming, is super easy to drive, sounds great for games, and it has a mic.

Obviously what works for you works best for you. Let me know what you think when you get your 560s as I'm curious what your experience will be.
Ok, I like them a lot. Sound signature is exactly what I like. 6XX is luxurious, smooth and polite, but these are so much more "stereo" and alive for lack of a better word. Each has its own strengths for music listening, but I would probably reach for the 560S at the moment. Source is macbook/old mayflower DAC. Actually prefer the MacBook. You are right they are treble-y, or at least enough so that they aren't the best to use with a bad/treble-y recording. 6XX and 560S is actually a more disparate pair than I would have guessed, providing a variety of options.

Gaming - when plugged into Dualsense I'm happy with the sound too. But yeah - when I saw the mess of wires between this and the modmic trailing into the Dualsense I thought of your comment, and thought of the PC38X. I also remembered why I have been just using wireless headsets for the last couple of years. But after ordering a short replacement 3.5mm cable for the 560S and tidying the modmic cable to match, i'm super happy with it now. I think I will sell my Pulse / Series Headsets and just use this on both consoles now.

I probably couldn't imagine a more perfect headphone for music listening combined with "competitive fps gaming". Very happy after fretting about what to buy for a month.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming - when plugged into Dualsense I'm happy with the sound too. But yeah - when I saw the mess of wires between this and the modmic trailing into the Dualsense I thought of your comment, and thought of the PC38X. I also remembered why I have been just using wireless headsets for the last couple of years. But after ordering a short replacement 3.5mm cable for the 560S and tidying the modmic cable to match, i'm super happy with it now. I think I will sell my Pulse / Series Headsets and just use this on both consoles now.

I probably couldn't imagine a more perfect headphone for music listening combined with "competitive fps gaming". Very happy after fretting about what to buy for a month.
Off topic, but I'm still kind of annoyed about their "screw" connectors. I don't want to tear open my 560S to remove the plastic bit that prevents a normal 2.5mm adapter from fitting in the slot, but I may have to do that if I end up using it for games.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Off topic, but I'm still kind of annoyed about their "screw" connectors. I don't want to tear open my 560S to remove the plastic bit that prevents a normal 2.5mm adapter from fitting in the slot, but I may have to do that if I end up using it for games.
I dunno, I just bought a cable with the twist end. Would it be easier to maybe cut a groove into the plastic 2.5mm headphone jack?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I just bought a cable with the twist end. Would it be easier to maybe cut a groove into the plastic 2.5mm headphone jack?
So I have the 598 which has the same system, and at the time the "easy" fix is to just take apart the ear cup and basically force the plastic out. Then you can fit a standard 2.5mm adapter in there.

I bought one of the twist adapters too, but the reviews on Amazon make them sound kind of poor quality so who knows. I'm not sure if opening up the headphones voids the warranty though, so I don't want to do it to the pair of 560S I just picked up.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Almost two years later and I'm still very happy with my Arya's. Still, part of me does wanna take the plunge and get into some actual summit-fi stuff. The abyss is really speaking to me…

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I too have some HD598s I'm looking to replace, I used them for gaming mostly, but also music (hip hop, jazz, rock, metal).

I have a fiio dac amp which I'm happy to keep using.

The Fidelio X2HR and Sennheiser HD 560s both look really nice, are either of those better than the other when it comes to gaming?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Almost two years later and I'm still very happy with my Arya's. Still, part of me does wanna take the plunge and get into some actual summit-fi stuff. The abyss is really speaking to me…
I'm eight months in with my Arya and it still impresses me and brings a smile to my face with how impressively it presents audio.

The other day I was listening to this guy on YouTube ranting about the Xbox, and the vocal was coming from the top of my head because the dude was recording from a standing position and talking down into his microphone. It was surreal how outside of my head the vocals were, kept freaking me out, I waved my hand above my head a couple times lmao.

I've done extensive research into the summit-fi gear. While those sets are technically "superior" the Arya, you almost always lose the dynamism and punch the Arya presents, especially how it does that subwoofer style low-end.

In the end I suppose it will come down to what genres you listen most. I am a hip-hop, R&B, trip-hop, electronica person, so the Arya is pretty much the perfect endgame for what I enjoy.

I too have some HD598s I'm looking to replace, I used them for gaming mostly, but also music (hip hop, jazz, rock, metal).

The Fidelio X2HR and Sennheiser HD 560s both look really nice, are either of those better than the other when it comes to gaming?
The 560S is just the better headphone, period. The X2HR is only winning in being more bass heavy for hip-hop.

560S for gaming no doubt. The soundstage and detail retrieval are an easy pick.

edit: nvm just buy the 560S

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I'm eight months in with my Arya and it still impresses me and brings a smile to my face with how impressively it presents audio.

The other day I was listening to this guy on YouTube ranting about the Xbox, and the vocal was coming from the top of my head because the dude was recording from a standing position and talking down into his microphone. It was surreal how outside of my head the vocals were, kept freaking me out, I waved my hand above my head a couple times lmao.

I've done extensive research into the summit-fi gear. While those sets are technically "superior" the Arya, you almost always lose the dynamism and punch the Arya presents, especially how it does that subwoofer style low-end.

In the end I suppose it will come down to what genres you listen most. I am a hip-hop, R&B, trip-hop, electronica person, so the Arya is pretty much the perfect endgame for what I enjoy.

The 560S is just the better headphone, period. The X2HR is only winning in being more bass heavy for hip-hop.

560S for gaming no doubt. The soundstage and detail retrieval are an easy pick.

edit: nvm just buy the 560S
Ha, alright then pretty decisive!

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

I think the X2HR and H560S are similar but with quite different strength and weaknesses really. I think the X2HR is quite a bit more fun for games than the HD560S personally. If you're playing something like battlefield the kick you get from the bass on the X2HR is a lot more impactful than on the HD560S, and the wider soundstage helps you feel the presence of everything around you.

It helps too, that the X2HR have a single detachable 3.5mm cable, so it's easier to equip with a mic and you're good to go if you want to chat online. The V-Moda boom pro is an easy recommend.

The HD560S have a more audiophile, neutral sound but they are just less fun in a lot of situations and I think the X2HR has a sound signature that the average listener is more likely to enjoy. The soundstage makes it better at immersing you into 3D spaces and the v-sound signature means the bass and treble in a lot of games are just going to hit harder. It's less detail orientated so perhaps you end up missing smaller details in the mix but competitively I have never had an issue catching important details such as footsteps with the X2HR.

I don't really prescribe to the idea of saying 'this one is good for music' and 'this one is good for games' because both games and music are so incredibly diverse in their audible presentation. But what I would say is that the strengths of the X2HR lie in bass and soundstage so if you are listening to music like hiphop and r&b, or games like Battlefield or Wipeout 2048 then I think most users would have more fun with the X2HR. Whereas I think the HD560S are better in games either where soundstage is less valuable, so perhaps a more narrative driven game like Hades or a 2D game like Hollow Knight, or music that isn't bass heavy like classical and jazz.

"The X2HR's are a bit naughty and fun sacrificing clarity and imaging for a bit of low end rumble and spatial impression." is a good summary of the differences. That quote is from a discussion comparing the two on the Linustechtips forums.

Last edited:

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
My budget DAC has been delivered. Unfortunately, when I plug my headphone in the front jack while speakers are plugged in the back via RCA, the sound outputs to both at the same time. I like to think it is not a big deal but it bothers me a little bit. I needed to mute the speaker manually. A minor inconvenience.

owdnFo3.jpg

44Kd1rm.jpg
Old bump but how do you feel about this dac/amp combo? I've had my eye on it (everything schiit is a hassle to get to canada with inflated shipping fees) but theres almost no impressions on the internet, although the Fosi Q4 is pretty well regarded (for budget chi-fi standards anyways)

Any QC issues?

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
Old bump but how do you feel about this dac/amp combo? I've had my eye on it (everything schiit is a hassle to get to canada with inflated shipping fees) but theres almost no impressions on the internet, although the Fosi Q4 is pretty well regarded (for budget chi-fi standards anyways)

Any QC issues?
I'm pretty satisfied with the K5. Paired with my old Sennheiser 579 on my main desktop PC setup. Volume on my Windows PC is at 67%. On the knobs, I have the bass pointing at 9 o'clock, treble at 3 o'clock, and volume knob at 12. I don't use any other EQ software.

I also bought a Q4 for my other setup downstairs. Q4 doesn't have a mic. And if you have a speaker plugged in the back, it will be muted when you plug a headphone in front. That's something the K5 can't do. K5 outputs to both speaker and headphone at the same time. So maybe consider the cheaper Q4.

Regarding QC issues, I think I remember there are 3 or 4 users on r/headphones reported that their Q4's had channel imbalance.

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the reply. The mic in is basically the main reason i'm looking at it tbh. Its a 3.5mm clip-on mic, so I just wanted both headphone out and mic in on one device to clean up my desk. I have a Syba Sonic that fried when I touched the headphone port and got a static shock, so I've just been using a Samsung USB dongle (which sounds surprisingly good).

I saw that the FX Audio DAC-X6 is also widely recommended as well. Seems more powerful than the Q4 but has a high noise floor, so not the best for IEMs.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Noticing that the pads on my HD6XX are starting to get somewhat worn out, are there any especially recommended replacements? I really like the stock pads and will probably get another pair, just wondering if there's anything that's considered a straight upgrade over them.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Noticing that the pads on my HD6XX are starting to get somewhat worn out, are there any especially recommended replacements? I really like the stock pads and will probably get another pair, just wondering if there's anything that's considered a straight upgrade over them.

ZMF makes 6XX pads now. I'd look into those

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I know people swear by sheepskin pads for comfort, but replacing stock pads definitely changes the sound signature.
I have Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin on my DT770 and like them quote a bit, but I'd want to keep the 6XX as close to the stock sound as possible.
ZMF makes 6XX pads now. I'd look into those
Yeah I saw a review of those, sounds like they're pretty close to the stock sound signature but more durable, will have to compare prices and decide.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017

Drop Sells them - they offer Velour (came with 6XX), Sheepskin, Hybrid Velour and Fenestrated Sheepskin (w/ holes). Just in case you don't know, the different materials will affect the sound, read up in the comments of the item.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys cable manage your headphone cables, especially with an AMP/DAC?

iZXJPLk.jpg

Currently my setup is like this, and would like to find a way to manage this a bit better. The cable for the mod mic and the (short) cable for the DT 900 Pro X are pretty long for where I'm sitting...which is at my desk.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Got these earlier today: https://penonaudio.com/penon-globe.html

Damn tasty and enjoyable sound if you're looking for a thicker, warmer, punchier signature that's not thick and warm just because of a massive amount of bass (though these definitely have a lot of bass, too). Like getting a nice, cozy hug from the music. Excited to spend more time with these.

edit: after 6 days of relatively active listening, let me just say this: fuck these IEMs are good. They're chunky so comfort isn't the absolute best, but I absolutely adore how they sound now, after getting used to them and then EQ'ing them a bit to taste. It sounds like the Penon Volt is pretty much a direct upgrade to these, so I think I've found my almost-endgame IEM, will stick with these for a few years and then get the Volt when I happen to have the extra money lying around for it.

Last edited:

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Hello all crossposting from another thread.

Hello I feel really dumb and need help.

Just got a pair of Sundaras, plugged them into my Sony Receiver and I get not audio. Playing records or music via Bluetooth. I know the headphones work cause I plugged them into my PC.

I feel like I'm missing something stupid please help!

Edit: nvm I got it I'm really dumb lol

Last edited:

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017
I picked up a pair of HD599s On Prime Day for £70 as a spur-of-the-moment thing. I never really liked headphones, but I never had a half-decent pair either.

I am running them from an Ifi zen dac and I am not really impressed with them overall. For something like Aphex Twin, they can't keep up half the time. In Xtal it's especially noticeable.

Bit sad really was hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but I will stick with my Dali Zensor 3 speakers and return these I think. Perhaps unfair to compare the two. Maybe if I see another good deal pop up for something else in future might give it another go.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Not quite headphones but Schiit have refreshes coming to both Bifrost 2 (DAC) and a new Lyr+ (amp only). These look to stack very well so could make for a killer desktop set up.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Hello friends, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 558's that I've had since July 8th 2016. They've been great headphones for me over the years but they're looking a little worn and I'm looking to upgrade.

These are my daily driver and have been for years, very occasionally I will use my pair of Superlux 668B's that I got around the same time.

I perfer headphones without the vinyl/fake or real leather material as it becomes too sweaty for me over time. I don't use an AMP or DAC currently and I don't want to go back to closed-back headphones. I'd also like something that'll work well for gaming, I don't want to go back to gaming headsets either.

Last request would be something I can get at Best Buy. I have a friend who may be able to provide asizable discount. But it isn't a deal-breaker.

My budget is around $250-$300.

Darkatomz

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Hello friends, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 558's that I've had since July 8th 2016. They've been great headphones for me over the years but they're looking a little worn and I'm looking to upgrade.

These are my daily driver and have been for years, very occasionally I will use my pair of Superlux 668B's that I got around the same time.

I perfer headphones without the vinyl/fake or real leather material as it becomes too sweaty for me over time. I don't use an AMP or DAC currently and I don't want to go back to closed-back headphones. I'd also like something that'll work well for gaming, I don't want to go back to gaming headsets either.

Last request would be something I can get at Best Buy. I have a friend who may be able to provide asizable discount. But it isn't a deal-breaker.

Hifiman Sundara

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

The only open-back headphone I see at Best Buy that's in your budget is the Sennheiser HD560S. That is a pretty well-regarded headphone at $199 and doesn't explicitly require an amp. I'd go with that, it's a HUGE step up over the HD558.

I would not buy a Sundara without a dedicated amp.

what's a good headphone i can use for watching movies on my tv and ps5 voice chat?
Budget?

Darkatomz

Oct 27, 2017
CA
The only open-back headphone I see at Best Buy that's in your budget is the Sennheiser HD560S. That is a pretty well-regarded headphone at $199 and doesn't explicitly require an amp. I'd go with that, it's a HUGE step up over the HD558.

I would not buy a Sundara without a dedicated amp.
Fair enough, although worth it if you can make it happen. You can use the $100 saved above and pick up something like a Qudelix 5K to use as a DAC/amp.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022

I'm not opposed to shopping elsewhere or buying an AMP. I can get the 560S for under $100 with my friend's discount, which I assume is a pretty great price?

I guess I'm not that opposed to spending the $300 on headphones and more on an AMP if it would be dramatically better than the 560S and an AMP for around $200 total. As I said, I've been happy with my HD558's but the paint is wearing off and they look a little too beat. Probably a wasteful reason to upgrade but I figured now's the time.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not opposed to shopping elsewhere or buying an AMP. I can get the 560S for under $100 with my friend's discount, which I assume is a pretty great price?

I guess I'm not that opposed to spending the $300 on headphones and more on an AMP if it would be dramatically better than the 560S and an AMP for around $200 total. As I said, I've been happy with my HD558's but the paint is wearing off and they look a little too beat. Probably a wasteful reason to upgrade but I figured now's the time.
Yes, that's a great price. The 560s is a solid pair of headphones. It doesn't need an amp but it sure as shit helps bring out the mids and bass.

You could also get the 599s which don't need an amp. Those are damn good too.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Not quite headphones but Schiit have refreshes coming to both Bifrost 2 (DAC) and a new Lyr+ (amp only). These look to stack very well so could make for a killer desktop set up.
Considering the BF2 was a stretch for me at $699, the increase to $799 does not inspire me to buy.

Honestly been considering upgrading my all-in-one solution to the Hifiman EF400.

Thing is the 560S and Sundara are drastically different headphones. You're saying you can get one for less than $100 'all-in' vs spending over $400 to make the other one work before you've even auditioned it. It's impossible to recommend the latter path when reviews like this exist:

View: https://youtu.be/Np6KjAAT98A

I own thee Sundara, it is also considered the benchmark of its price point. But it costs more to get it up to speed and you might not like it, while you are at lease familiar with the Sennheiser house sound

Last edited:

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ra's suggestion of the HE400SE is a great suggestion. My first pair of hifi headphones was an older HE400 model. Still to this day I'll listen to them every now and them and they catch me off guard how good they are for the price. Something about planar magnetic drivers..
Sorry, forgot to respond. I'd look into an HE400SE and an amp like the Asrro.

i bought XM4s yesterday and will just use a external mix for ps5 voice chat

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have experience buying headphones used, any opinions on it? I bought my LCD-GX used and it was sold 'like new' and it was indeed 'like new'. Included all the paperwork for its warranty too, should I have needed to use it.

It seems like a no brainer to me to buy used if possible. Both because it's more environmentally friendly, but headphones particularly seem to drop in value so significantly. My LCD-GX retail for £900 and I picked them up for £350, and I can see that flagship headphones that cost close to £4000 at retail are sold for under £2000 on ebay.

Any reason not to? Just the risk of being scammed? Doesn't seem like the kind of community that's ripe for scammers when the audience is still fairly niche. Easier to scam someone over 10 fake PS5 than a pair of Diana V2s or something.

Lower end stuff doesn't seem to depreciate in value anywhere near as significantly. What I notice about most expensive flagship is that generally speaking, no one seems interested. There's a pair of diana v2s selling for £2000 or best offer (RRP is £3500). If I had the cash my bet is that the seller would go down to £1700 ish which seems like a pretty sweet deal.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Man I have been oscillating at $699, for $799 I'm gonna pass.

I might just stay with the all-in-one and upgrade to the new Hifiman EF400.

i bought XM4s yesterday and will just use a external mix for ps5 voice chat
Fine decision.

Does anyone have experience buying headphones used, any opinions on it? I bought my LCD-GX used and it was sold 'like new' and it was indeed 'like new'. Included all the paperwork for its warranty too, should I have needed to use it.

It seems like a no brainer to me to buy used if possible. Both because it's more environmentally friendly, but headphones particularly seem to drop in value so significantly. My LCD-GX retail for £900 and I picked them up for £350, and I can see that flagship headphones that cost close to £4000 at retail are sold for under £2000 on ebay.

Any reason not to? Just the risk of being scammed? Doesn't seem like the kind of community that's ripe for scammers when the audience is still fairly niche. Easier to scam someone over 10 fake PS5 than a pair of Diana V2s or something.

Lower end stuff doesn't seem to depreciate in value anywhere near as significantly. What I notice about most expensive flagship is that generally speaking, no one seems interested. There's a pair of diana v2s selling for £2000 or best offer (RRP is £3500). If I had the cash my bet is that the seller would go down to £1700 ish which seems like a pretty sweet deal.
I've never box used from an owner, but I've done "open-box" from HiFiMan. As long as Audeze considers the warranty on the GX transferable I would be okay, but also would see it as suspicious if the set is that new and going for 550 off.

I'd definitely be disinfecting the set and replacing the earpads though haha, I'm too bothered by the idea of the previous owner being disgusting to not do so.

I'm actually in serious consideration of selling my HiFiMan Arya right now. It's an absolutely incredible set but since I got the ZMF Atticus I've realized that I value a closed back as my endgame for the isolation. The Arya just isn't getting used and having a $1599 retail headphone gathering dust seems stupid. Trying to figure out what I'd list it for, probably like $999 just to sell it quickly.

You are wrong about one thing though: Scammers are rampant in this hobby. There's a reason Head-fi and some of the Reddit audio seller's forums keep lists of everyone who has robbed someone else of their money or product. Assholes are everywhere.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Fine decision.

I've never box used from an owner, but I've done "open-box" from HiFiMan. As long as Audeze considers the warranty on the GX transferable I would be okay, but also would see it as suspicious if the set is that new and going for 550 off.

I'd definitely be disinfecting the set and replacing the earpads though haha, I'm too bothered by the idea of the previous owner being disgusting to not do so.

I'm actually in serious consideration of selling my HiFiMan Arya right now. It's an absolutely incredible set but since I got the ZMF Atticus I've realized that I value a closed back as my endgame for the isolation. The Arya just isn't getting used and having a $1599 retail headphone gathering dust seems stupid. Trying to figure out what I'd list it for, probably like $999 just to sell it quickly.

You are wrong about one thing though: Scammers are rampant in this hobby. There's a reason Head-fi and some of the Reddit audio seller's forums keep lists of everyone who has robbed someone else of their money or product. Assholes are everywhere.

Yeah I mean when I bought the LCD-GX I was a bit suspicious but I got the guy down in price by begging haha. I told him I was a student and it was all I had and eventually he accepted it.

I've had it for like 8 months now and it seems perfect condition as sold. So I was starting to think buying used might be the best way forward because of that experience, which admitedly is only one experience. While 550 off seems like a lot, it does not seem that uncommon that you see 50% off or more for used headphones.

There are some LCDX4s going for £1800 on UK ebay, and Abyss Diana V2s for 2k, most of these sellers will take a 'best offer' and also like I say, the sales themselves have little to no attention. The Diana page said they had one view in the last 24 hours.

Makes sense about people scamming people though. I just assumed it'd be less common in this space than with say, popular tech which people are desperate for (like PS5s), which I feel is the easiest tech thing to get scammed on right now. I have had my share of dealing with ebay scams in the past, but I've always been fine provided I payed or accepted payment via paypal and kept the receipts for postage.

Here's the X4 listing as an example
www.ebay.co.uk

Audeze LCD-4z Headphones in Black Magnesium | eBay

These are a superb headphone which, to my ears, are preferable to the newer LCD-5. I'll also include a Nordost XLR to 3.5mm adapter. Headphone stand NOT included.

Not that I would want them though. But the Diana V2s I'd take for £2000 if I could afford it in the future. £3500 seems a bit beyond what I'd ever pay for a pair of headphones, but something sub 2k seems like a reasonable end game to me when I'm in a better place financially (basically after my PhD ends and I get a real job).

My feeling is honestly that these high value items don't sell easy either. Like these are half price and they're not exactly flying off the market on ebay. The seller for my LCDGX's said they were listed twice. The LCDz4s above, the seller said this is the second time they're being listed too.

It varies with different brands though. It seems like finding something like the Arya cheap is difficult, but perhaps because a lot of people buying something like Audeze flagships tend to upgrade with each flagship, there's a lot being resold (the guy selling the z4s say's he bought the z5s).

Last edited:

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just received Arya Stealth today. Bit disappointed by the box (its just cardboard) but I guess I'd rather have the money put into the headphone than its box.
EDIT: happily surprised by the low end on these things

Last edited:

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I'm kind of been looking for new headset to use for both consoles and general use as well. ANC is a must for me because of Noise, I can't deal with. So I kind of did some testing first for headphones I do have, I tried Arctis wireless pro on PS5, I tried the ATH M50's wired via controller, I also tried my brother's Shure Aonic 50's with anc on wired via controller and honestly, all sound similar to me. I used Returnal, Astrobot, Elden Ring for sound demonstrations but Shure's more comfort and lower noise made a huge difference to me from having a headache. I did take a look at anc gaming options which don't suit what I need.

So I'm kind of looking for best possible ANC headset that works really well with PS5. My considerations have either be xm4, XM5 or the Bose QC45. My questions just how good the wired options would be for options selected whether setting kept in headphone when turned on/anc works well when plugged in controller.

Mar 21, 2018
Yeah I mean when I bought the LCD-GX I was a bit suspicious but I got the guy down in price by begging haha. I told him I was a student and it was all I had and eventually he accepted it.

I've had it for like 8 months now and it seems perfect condition as sold. So I was starting to think buying used might be the best way forward because of that experience, which admitedly is only one experience. While 550 off seems like a lot, it does not seem that uncommon that you see 50% off or more for used headphones.

There are some LCDX4s going for £1800 on UK ebay, and Abyss Diana V2s for 2k, most of these sellers will take a 'best offer' and also like I say, the sales themselves have little to no attention. The Diana page said they had one view in the last 24 hours.

Makes sense about people scamming people though. I just assumed it'd be less common in this space than with say, popular tech which people are desperate for (like PS5s), which I feel is the easiest tech thing to get scammed on right now. I have had my share of dealing with ebay scams in the past, but I've always been fine provided I payed or accepted payment via paypal and kept the receipts for postage.

Here's the X4 listing as an example
www.ebay.co.uk

Audeze LCD-4z Headphones in Black Magnesium | eBay

These are a superb headphone which, to my ears, are preferable to the newer LCD-5. I'll also include a Nordost XLR to 3.5mm adapter. Headphone stand NOT included.

Not that I would want them though. But the Diana V2s I'd take for £2000 if I could afford it in the future. £3500 seems a bit beyond what I'd ever pay for a pair of headphones, but something sub 2k seems like a reasonable end game to me when I'm in a better place financially (basically after my PhD ends and I get a real job).

My feeling is honestly that these high value items don't sell easy either. Like these are half price and they're not exactly flying off the market on ebay. The seller for my LCDGX's said they were listed twice. The LCDz4s above, the seller said this is the second time they're being listed too.

It varies with different brands though. It seems like finding something like the Arya cheap is difficult, but perhaps because a lot of people buying something like Audeze flagships tend to upgrade with each flagship, there's a lot being resold (the guy selling the z4s say's he bought the z5s).

I'm always very wary buying transducers used (speakers/headphones/cartridges) as it's difficult to know just how hard they have been driven/abused over the years. The voice-coil could be flogged within an inch of its life and may fail soon, necessitating costly repairs. YMMV however.

Kinda related, I've had to replace the drivers in my STAX SR-009 electrostatic headphones. They're on their way from Japan as we speak. Total cost including labor and a new pair of earpads is close to $3,000 AUD. A big chunk of change but still way cheaper than buying new or even second-hand. Plus I get a brand new full-warranty so it's like I'm getting a new pair anyhoo.

Haven't used them in a while and I can't wait to re-integrate them into my hi-fi which has had quite a number of big upgrades recently.

Last edited:

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I could get IEMs to work for me. They just never seal properly. They always end up feeling like there is a ton of pressure and get stupidly uncomfortable but I'd love to have something like them for portability. The only thing IEM like I've ever been able to stand are my airpod pros because they regulate the pressure somehow. Are there any IEMs like that?

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping someone here can give me a couple of recommendations for wireless earbuds. I've been looking around at various reviews for a few days now, and can't find anything that seems like it will entirely fit my use case, so I keep waffling back and forth.

My criteria is:

Good for heavy metal
Sweat-proof/resistant, as I will be using these when exercising
Black or dark grey casing
I'd be using them on both my iPhone, and on a Windows PC
Ideally around the $150-200 range
Good ANC is a plus, but it's not that high of a priority

Ones that I have on my radar (but all are not perfect) are the Samsung Buds Pro, Jabra Elite 7 Pro, and the Sennheiser CX Plus.