• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that I was talking Canadian prices! It's actually their Canadian website that's selling them for the Canadian equivalent. lol

I was convinced not to chase high end this time around because of the diminishing returns and I'm happy with the Sundaras and HD6xx that I already have, but I also heard about the earpad thing. Also that they're extremely expensive to replace (at least in Canada if not in general).
Yeah normal price in USD direct from Focal is $200. Absolute madness. Probably ssomthing stupid in Canadian ddollars because everything is.

That said, a lox of Sennheiser 6XX/650 fans I speak with say the Focal products are the natural upgrade path to those headphones. Just better at everything. I can't certify that myself but I've seen it said often enough that I start to believe it.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah normal price in USD direct from Focal is $200. Absolute madness. Probably ssomthing stupid in Canadian ddollars because everything is.

That said, a lox of Sennheiser 6XX/650 fans I speak with say the Focal products are the natural upgrade path to those headphones. Just better at everything. I can't certify that myself but I've seen it said often enough that I start to believe it.
Yeah, I'm curious... and the fact that they're on sale (even though I guess they're always on 'sale') is why I'm even considering it. But running a thousand dollar pair of headphones through a 100 dollar Schitt stack seems like a total waste, and then I start getting down the rabbit hole of constantly upgrading gear.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Yeah, I'm curious... and the fact that they're on sale (even though I guess they're always on 'sale') is why I'm even considering it. But running a thousand dollar pair of headphones through a 100 dollar Schitt stack seems like a total waste, and then I start getting down the rabbit hole of constantly upgrading gear.
The idea that you need to upgrade your gear to match the cost of your headphones is something you need to shake off. The Focals aren't even hard to drive andd is made to run off of portable audio players.

I'm not in the objectivist camp that denies all merit to hardware upgrades, but I do believe a headphone that was built with DAPs in mind is not going to scale that much with an expensive amp. Your stack is going to get the most out of it imo.

The headphone should always cost waaaay more than the amp and DAC it is connected to, that's how I was raised in this hobby.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that you need to upgrade your gear to match the cost of your headphones is something you need to shake off. The Focals aren't even hard to drive andd is made to run off of portable audio players.

I'm not in the objectivist camp that denies all merit to hardware upgrades, but I do believe a headphone that was built with DAPs in mind is not going to scale that much with an expensive amp. Your stack is going to get the most out of it imo.
Ah, that's good to know if I decide to make the jump. Although I'm still not sure if I'm trying to talk myself into it or out of it at this point. lol

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
You want it. That's okay. If it's financially responsible, why not? You can return it, right?
Hah, I kind of expect the cost of returning them will be like 10% the cost of the cans themselves but that's true.
Ideally I'd like to try them to see if I can hear what makes them a thousand dollar pair of headphones, because right now it's mostly reading people describe the experience which is obviously not the same.

I guess the other direction to take in the "thousand+" space would be to the Audeze LCD line and while there isn't a significant difference between spending 500 bucks on midrange stuff and 1000 bucks on 'entry level' high end stuff, it's starting to get there. lol

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD598s for probably close to a decade now, and they're almost ready to crumble into dust. I have a little FiiO amp thingy that I've been using with my PC and I'm interested in noise canceling. I use my headphones for everything, but mainly music and gaming (PC and sometimes plugged into the PS5 although the max volume is too low with the latter, unfortunately).

Any recommendations?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hah, I kind of expect the cost of returning them will be like 10% the cost of the cans themselves but that's true.
Ideally I'd like to try them to see if I can hear what makes them a thousand dollar pair of headphones, because right now it's mostly reading people describe the experience which is obviously not the same.

I guess the other direction to take in the "thousand+" space would be to the Audeze LCD line and while there isn't a significant difference between spending 500 bucks on midrange stuff and 1000 bucks on 'entry level' high end stuff, it's starting to get there. lol
Completely slipped my mind before, but you really should consider the Focal Elex instead. It avoids the pad issues of the grey Focal headphones and measures very close to the OG Clear, and a far lower price. I was just browsing Reddit and saw this thread which brought it to my mind.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Completely slipped my mind before, but you really should consider the Focal Elex instead. It avoids the pad issues of the grey Focal headphones and measures very close to the OG Clear, and a far lower price. I was just browsing Reddit and saw this thread which brought it to my mind.
Are those the Drop ones? I did read about them, but kept seeing people talking about manufacturing issues and how no one will take responsibility for the warranty because Drop and Focal keep passing the buck to each other. But maybe that's old information at this point?

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
Hello everyone !
Are there any decent earbud style headphones for PC? Something for 25 euros or 30 euros?
Thanks !

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Been using my HiFiMAN Aryas for just about 6 months now and I've started considering dipping my toe into the world of EQing, but I've never EQed headphones in Windows before, only ever on the Android side of things for earbuds. Are there any comprehensive guides out there on the best software to use and maybe best practices on EQing effectively? The last thing I want to do is end up with something that makes my headphones sound worse.

StrangeWit

Oct 27, 2017
Been using my HiFiMAN Aryas for just about 6 months now and I've started considering dipping my toe into the world of EQing, but I've never EQed headphones in Windows before, only ever on the Android side of things for earbuds. Are there any comprehensive guides out there on the best software to use and maybe best practices on EQing effectively? The last thing I want to do is end up with something that makes my headphones sound worse.
As a start, I'd look up oratory1990 for information regarding eq'ing for specific headphones. They seem to be well regarded in the reddit r/headphones community, and also have their own subreddit r/oratory1990, which has an extended wiki including eq targets for individual headphones.

I'll admit I don't have a lot of experience with eq, as I only recently picked up a Schiit Loki Mini+ for my new Sundaras, and I don't use software EQ on my PC.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Are those the Drop ones? I did read about them, but kept seeing people talking about manufacturing issues and how no one will take responsibility for the warranty because Drop and Focal keep passing the buck to each other. But maybe that's old information at this point?

Honestly I'd rather buy a headphone for 1/3 of the cost that MIGHT have warranty issues than a headphone for triple that price.

There must be a returns process, it's likely just more painful than directly through Focal, and in the theoreitcal worst case scenario (they break outside of warranty) you're better off with the cheaper option than the more expensive if the quality is the same or very similar.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I EQ'd my Arya with Equalizer APO using oratory's setting for a while. Everything you need to dive into that is laid out pretty simply by him here.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
As a start, I'd look up oratory1990 for information regarding eq'ing for specific headphones. They seem to be well regarded in the reddit r/headphones community, and also have their own subreddit r/oratory1990, which has an extended wiki including eq targets for individual headphones.
I EQ'd my Arya with Equalizer APO using oratory's setting for a while. Everything you need to dive into that is laid out pretty simply by him here.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. Cheers :)

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The XM5 has leaked and I'm finally gonna upgrade my XM3's. Looks great.

gizmodo.com

Sony's WH-1000XM5 Headphones Just Leaked, And They Look Fantastic

Sleeker design, longer battery life, and new drivers—good luck, Bose.
Rip my XM4s, but I also have been using them less than I expected.
Honestly I'd rather buy a headphone for 1/3 of the cost that MIGHT have warranty issues than a headphone for triple that price.

There must be a returns process, it's likely just more painful than directly through Focal, and in the theoreitcal worst case scenario (they break outside of warranty) you're better off with the cheaper option than the more expensive if the quality is the same or very similar.
The allure of "end game" and "high end" is always there unfortunately... what if a thousand dollar set of cans makes the song sound better? lol

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
It's been a long time, but I'm looking to get back into the high(er) end headphone game. The last "nice" pair of headphones I owned was a Seinheisser HD555.

If I was looking to get a nice set of open, over-ear headphones plus an amp for around $600-700US, what would a good option be? I would be using these headphones for listening to music of all kinds and PC gaming. I have no need for an integrated mic.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Rip my XM4s, but I also have been using them less than I expected.

The allure of "end game" and "high end" is always there unfortunately... what if a thousand dollar set of cans makes the song sound better? lol

Just gotta' make sure you're actually chasing a high end sound and not just 'more expensive'. From what I read people are pretty close with their impressions between the Clear and Elex, with some preferring certain aspects of the Elex's sound.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I've had the LCD GX for two weeks now and I can't get enough of them. I literally sit at my computer all day just listening to music. Having access to a means of playing back my music in a way that I really enjoy has really changed my lifestyle, day to day.

It's also made me far less fond of every other pair of headphones that I own. I've also tried a few other high-end headphones recently, a few from Focal and Hifiman because they have a few different models in the Richer Sounds store near me. I was able to try the Focal Clear MG, and honestly I didn't enjoy them as much as the LCD GX which I picked up for £420 in an ebay listing. Nothing against the sound, it sounded mostly full bodied, though the bass was a bit off compared to the LCD GX.

In any case, the impression I have is that I just like the Audeze 'house sound'. But, the problem with that is that every other audeze set (aside perhaps the LCD X 2021 edition) seem to be tonally unbalanced out of the box, to the point where most reviewers say that they're likely to be very uncomfortable. They respond very well to EQ, but I'm not interested in EQing, I find it impractical as I like to use my headphones with many different sources.

So I've watched a lot of reviews and have a generally good understanding of what might like and the conclusion I've made after watching a lot of reviews, is that it probably isn't worth jumping from the GX to anything else unless I want to go very high end, and most of the very high end options are likely to disatisfy me. But, two that stand out are the Abyss Diana V2 and Susvara.

I'm not going to bother with either right now. I think it'd be a waste of money, but that's my target. Perhaps in a few years when I settle down with a better salary. At the moment I own about £2000 worth of headphones total. So it would be a big jump to buy something at £3500 (though honestly, I'd probably go for a 'like new' ebay listing and save a grand).

I'm also selling all of my wireless, blutooth style headphones at this point because I find it difficult to enjoy them. I've been hearing very good things about the Senheiser IE600 which are $600, and then just alternate the GX and the IE600. I'll probably pick those up sometime in the next few months.

I will probably keep one of my true wireless earbuds (I have NuraTrue and Sony XM4) because when skating it will be difficult to use a wired IEM with portable dac and not break my neck or my headphones. With that said I'm not especially happy with the sound on either of these for music and I might benefit more from some wireless earbuds with better in-ear staying power like some of the wireless models that have clips to keep them on your ears.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I recently upgraded my headphone setup for my PC. Got an H6Pro and paired it with a Schiit Hel.

My question is, how do you guys cable manage this stuff? Anyone have any recommendations for a shorter cable I can use with the H6Pro?

Thanks!

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
So I recently upgraded my headphone setup for my PC. Got an H6Pro and paired it with a Schiit Hel.

My question is, how do you guys cable manage this stuff? Anyone have any recommendations for a shorter cable I can use with the H6Pro?

Thanks!
Looks like EPOS sells shorter cables directly:

www.eposaudio.com

EPOS - The Power of Audio™

Audio holds the power to give gaming another dimension. And EPOS is created to provide that ultimate gaming experience.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I need some help chosing some over-ear headphones, and honestly reading reviews in one side and reports of shit build quality in the other has me really clueless on what to pick, or, at the very least which brands I should avoid. I came from a pair of Plantronics backbeat go 810 where the headband plastic started looking really really brittle and getting cracks all over literally the exact moment the 2 years warranty expired, then 5 months later (so, yesterday) the headband literally snapped in half. So, I need to find something with these specs in mind:
  1. I'm not an audiophile so as long as the bass is good, it sounds good to me. Most of my music comes from Spotify hi-quality (320kbps) through iOS.
  2. I'm open to other suggestions but NO TWS and/or in-ear and this is not negotiable. TWS just doesn't work with my day to day, and in-ear is 100% incompatible with my ear canal. Trust me, there's no "magical pair" that will make me change my opinion. I've tested all the tip sizes, shapes, materials, with or without fins for the past 20 years and they all either slide out just by walking or start hurting after 20 minutes. Sometimes both. Yes, "properly fitted" AirPods Pro hurted THE MOST, so I've even tested the most state-of-the-art ones and not just cheap trash.
  3. ANC is a must
  4. Budget is up to 150€. Can stretch up to 200€ for something exceptionally good
  5. Lowest possible latency when connected to an iOS device. If there's a noticeable delay no matter how small on a youtube video, for me they're unusable.
So far I rounded my options down to Sony WH-XB910 (top end of my budget) and JBL Tune 760NC (bottom end of my budget) but then I started investigating and read a lot of reports about snapped headbands in both models after mere months of use so I'm literally out of wits at this point and could use some guidance on brands or models I might have overlooked.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I need some help chosing some over-ear headphones, and honestly reading reviews in one side and reports of shit build quality in the other has me really clueless on what to pick, or, at the very least which brands I should avoid. I came from a pair of Plantronics backbeat go 810 where the headband plastic started looking really really brittle and getting cracks all over literally the exact moment the 2 years warranty expired, then 5 months later (so, yesterday) the headband literally snapped in half. So, I need to find something with these specs in mind:
  1. I'm not an audiophile so as long as the bass is good, it sounds good to me. Most of my music comes from Spotify hi-quality (320kbps) through iOS.
  2. I'm open to other suggestions but NO TWS and/or in-ear and this is not negotiable. TWS just doesn't work with my day to day, and in-ear is 100% incompatible with my ear canal. Trust me, there's no "magical pair" that will make me change my opinion. I've tested all the tip sizes, shapes, materials, with or without fins for the past 20 years and they all either slide out just by walking or start hurting after 20 minutes. Sometimes both. Yes, "properly fitted" AirPods Pro hurted THE MOST, so I've even tested the most state-of-the-art ones and not just cheap trash.
  3. ANC is a must
  4. Budget is up to 150€. Can stretch up to 200€ for something exceptionally good
  5. Lowest possible latency when connected to an iOS device. If there's a noticeable delay no matter how small on a youtube video, for me they're unusable.
So far I rounded my options down to Sony WH-XB910 (top end of my budget) and JBL Tune 760NC (bottom end of my budget) but then I started investigating and read a lot of reports about snapped headbands in both models after mere months of use so I'm literally out of wits at this point and could use some guidance on brands or models I might have overlooked.
Have you looked at the Anker Soundcore Q30?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Fun story: I continued investigating around reddit and other forums and indeed ended up getting the Q35 instead of the Q30 because they were on sale a couple days ago. Can't be happier with them!
Oh nice, good for you. The Ankers use metal in their construction which is why I like them among the budget options.

AdiGrateles

Dec 6, 2017
Fun story: I continued investigating around reddit and other forums and indeed ended up getting the Q35 instead of the Q30 because they were on sale a couple days ago. Can't be happier with them!
Have you tried messing with the EQ for it yet? Wasn't a fan of the sound coming out of the box, but tweaking one of the presets has done wonders for my listening experience.

Maybe it's that "new gear" shine, but having adjusted the EQ, I feel my ears find it easier to tell individual instruments apart compared to my old pair (JBL Tune 750BTNC). It's a neat sensation.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried messing with the EQ for it yet? Wasn't a fan of the sound coming out of the box, but tweaking one of the presets has done wonders for my listening experience.

Maybe it's that "new gear" shine, but having adjusted the EQ, I feel my ears find it easier to tell individual instruments apart compared to my old pair (JBL Tune 750BTNC). It's a neat sensation.

I've been messing around with the ANC profiles, but I have yet to mess with the EQ. I'll be sure to do it the next time around!

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think the Razer Opus is the best wireless ANC in that price bracket personally. They also use metal in their construction for the inner material and the sound quality is quite a bit beyond the Anker QC45. I think they punch into the bracket above and compete with the Sony XM4 and Bose QC30. I even prefer the sound to either of those two pairs, which cost £100 beyond their price.

I think they just get overlooked because of their brand. Razer don't normally make good headphones, or good anything really.

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't quite the place, but I think the question is still relevant.

So, my onboard audio on my PC died. It's a crackly popping mess. I can't really RMA the board sadly because I bought it used. Currently, I have it plugged into my monitor's headphone jack, which isn't ideal quality-wise.

Anyway, I think I am looking for a USB DAC (rather than a full-blown soundcard). I was looking at something relatively simple and out the way like the Dragonfly Black. Preferably looking to spend under £100 or so, used is fine. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I don't really use headphones. It will be connected directly via phono to 3.5mm jack (though I also have phono to phono if needed) to my Marantz PM5005 amp and a pair of Dali Zensor 3s. Any advice would be much appreciated. TIA

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

So, my onboard audio on my PC died. It's a crackly popping mess. I can't really RMA the board sadly because I bought it used. Currently, I have it plugged into my monitor's headphone jack, which isn't ideal quality-wise.

Anyway, I think I am looking for a USB DAC (rather than a full-blown soundcard). I was looking at something relatively simple and out the way like the Dragonfly Black. Preferably looking to spend under £100 or so, used is fine. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I don't really use headphones. It will be connected directly via phono to 3.5mm jack (though I also have phono to phono if needed) to my Marantz PM5005 amp and a pair of Dali Zensor 3s. Any advice would be much appreciated. TIA
You can't really go "wrong" when you are just looking to bypass the onboard audio. Any entry level DAC is going to do the job.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Why not just go with the dragonfly black? It's sub £100 and has good reviews.

The only reservation I would have with that type of device is that I feel I would inevitably damage the USB connection. I prefer a dedicated dac with a cable because I think if it gets knocked it will bend easily. That might not be an issue for you if your PC is out of the way though, more of an issue for laptops and things like that.

Sep 7, 2018
Hey I just bought the Yowu earphones and the volume is way low. Does anyone know how to increase it? It looks like there's an app for this but when I go to the Google Play Store it doesn't show up.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hey I just bought the Yowu earphones and the volume is way low. Does anyone know how to increase it? It looks like there's an app for this but when I go to the Google Play Store it doesn't show up.

I've only heard bad things about these honestly. There should be an app available though. If you can't find it I can see that the apk is available online so you could just install it outside of the google play app store.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anybody have any experience with the HD560s? Was wondering how they compare to the HD599.
Hah, I just came here to ask the same thing. Ordered a pair anyway. Arriving tomorrow.

I already have the HD6XX, which sounds luxurious, but it's not the easiest to drive, and it's the last headphone you want plugged into the dualsense controller in a pinch to do some FPS gaming. Absolutely terrible in that regard. Between the tuning and the narrow soundstage you can't pick out footstep directions at all.

I wanted something more universally "fine", easier to drive, better for gaming. Googling around a lot of people mention the HD800S as being the peak gaming headphone, but if you can't afford OVER ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS the 560s is apparently it's easier to drive, cheaper little brother, with similar tuning and soundstage characteristics.

Next up. I'm eyeballing the JDS Element III, but it's pricey for what it is.

Sep 7, 2018

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Hah, I just came here to ask the same thing. Ordered a pair anyway. Arriving tomorrow.

I already have the HD6XX, which sounds luxurious, but it's not the easiest to drive, and it's the last headphone you want plugged into the dualsense controller in a pinch to do some FPS gaming. Absolutely terrible in that regard. Between the tuning and the narrow soundstage you can't pick out footstep directions at all.

I wanted something more universally "fine", easier to drive, better for gaming. Googling around a lot of people mention the HD800S as being the peak gaming headphone, but if you can't afford OVER ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS the 560s is apparently it's easier to drive, cheaper little brother, with similar tuning and soundstage characteristics.

Next up. I'm eyeballing the JDS Element III, but it's pricey for what it is.
So I have the 560s now. I haven't really messed with them much but they are EXTREMELY neutral. Also they are 120 ohm headphone where as the 58x is 150ohm. The 599 is 50 ohm. So the dual sense or Xbox controller doesn't do much for this. The 560s does have a wide soundstage so playing an fps with these let's you hear footsteps and positional audio much easier than the 58x but the soundstage isn't that much wider than the HD599. The soundstage is wider on the HD560s by a considerable margin for gaming than it is with the 58x.

It's a good set of cans for music that's more along the classical side, or for any listening that requires concentrating. I wouldn't call them exciting.

For reference I really like the 58x and I do own the 800s. 800s are INCREDIBLE for gaming but I only use them with my PC.

For my money the 560s don't have a lot of advantages for a regular user unless you are someone who needs to master audio. If you do that then these things are phenomenal. Otherwise these are more power hungry than the HD599, and for gaming you'd be better served with a pair of those or the PC38x from drop. Those are GREAT and they have a mic.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I have the 560s now. I haven't really messed with them much but they are EXTREMELY neutral. Also they are 120 ohm headphone where as the 58x is 150ohm. The 599 is 50 ohm. So the dual sense or Xbox controller doesn't do much for this. The 560s does have a wide soundstage so playing an fps with these let's you hear footsteps and positional audio much easier than the 58x but the soundstage isn't that much wider than the HD599. The soundstage is wider on the HD560s by a considerable margin for gaming than it is with the 58x.

It's a good set of cans for music that's more along the classical side, or for any listening that requires concentrating. I wouldn't call them exciting.

For reference I really like the 58x and I do own the 800s. 800s are INCREDIBLE for gaming but I only use them with my PC.

For my money the 560s don't have a lot of advantages for a regular user unless you are someone who needs to master audio. If you do that then these things are phenomenal. Otherwise these are more power hungry than the HD599, and for gaming you'd be better served with a pair of those or the PC38x from drop. Those are GREAT and they have a mic.
Thanks for reply. I will see tomorrow. Ideally I want to replace everything I have (except my AirPods pros) and just use the 560s (+ modmic) for everywhere I don't apply the AirPods. But i'll have to really like them first... I think I will because the 6XX is perfect, except it sucks for hearing enemy footsteps, it's too hard to drive, and lacking a slight amount of treble. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for reply. I will see tomorrow. Ideally I want to replace everything I have (except my AirPods pros) and just use the 560s (+ modmic) for everywhere I don't apply the AirPods. But i'll have to really like them first... I think I will because the 6XX is perfect, except it sucks for hearing enemy footsteps, it's too hard to drive, and lacking a slight amount of treble. Fingers crossed.
It's got some treble. It's very clear. It's a good headphone but if you are using it for gaming I would seriously suggest the PC38x which is what I'm using for gaming, is super easy to drive, sounds great for games, and it has a mic.

Obviously what works for you works best for you. Let me know what you think when you get your 560s as I'm curious what your experience will be.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

Does the Xbox/PS5 recognize USB DACs? Without connecting through the controller, I have no idea how you'd use a headset with the consoles.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
XM5's still without a native PS5 mode continues to be a blight on otherwise the best bluetooth headphones around.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Does the Xbox/PS5 recognize USB DACs? Without connecting through the controller, I have no idea how you'd use a headset with the consoles.
Yeah they can. Stuff like the mix amp from Astro and the like work. So does some of the Schiit products. You can also use Fiio's battery powered amps too with the controllers.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they can. Stuff like the mix amp from Astro and the like work. So does some of the Schiit products.
I guess this is why people have mixer setups, because the idea of swapping out USB cables between consoles every time I want to use a headset really seems annoying. lol

But at least that's a possibility anyway.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Looking to upgrade my HD598 to a new pair of headphones in the near future. A lot of people on r/headphoneadvice seem to be suggesting the HiFiMan Sundaras as more common option to upgrade to. I mainly listen to Rock music and game with my HD598. Is that a good upgrade to go to or should I look into a different pair?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Looking to upgrade my HD598 to a new pair of headphones in the near future. A lot of people on r/headphoneadvice seem to be suggesting the HiFiMan Sundaras as more common option to upgrade to. I mainly listen to Rock music and game with my HD598. Is that a good upgrade to go to or should I look into a different pair?
I don't really have the language to describe it, but the Sundaras are definitely a different sound from the 598/99. There's a similar amount of detail, but definitely more low end.
I haven't used Sundaras for gaming though, because I'm not sure if a controller can't drive them well, so I'm not sure how they sound for gaming but for rock music, particularly if you listen to stuff that's heavy, you'll definitely hear the difference.

For purely music, I think the HD6XX are another option if you don't care about the low end and you like being hyper analytical with your music. I switch between the HD6XX and the Sundara depending on how I'm feeling and what I want the music to sound like.

For gaming I still like the Fidelio X2HR, it does a good job with imaging and staging so you can hear where things are in the environment if the game has good sound mixing.

I'm not sure if that helps though, assuming you don't want to buy several pairs of headphones. lol