• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
Anyone know a good set of replacement ear pads for the Sennheiser HD598? My pads have become a bit ugly looking and started to tear a bit. Would like to find something that won't alter the sound too much. Searching for genuine pads for this thing seems to be coming up a bit short.
You can get a third party replacement pad that costs way less than the genuine replacement pads. I don't think these pads will alter the sound as they only replace the pad that goes around the ear. They are not as soft as the original pads but still comfortable. I still use mine for hours when gaming on PC. The one I got said it is for 598 and the available colors are black and brown only. I have a different headphone by the way (HD579). I couldn't find a grey colored pad. Found out that these were the same size so I just settled with it.

GKG2KoE.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Man my girlfriend and i split so I ordered some Hifiman 400SEv2 headphones and a topping dx3 pro+ amp to treat myself

This shit is fucked up. My jaw was on the floor when I hooked them up and started listening to tunes. Then I found an EQ preset on reddit and my jaw dropped again.

I've never heard bass response like this on a headphone before. The speed and impact of drums is amazing, let alone guitar tone. Its fucked it up sounds so good at $200AUD. Me and my brother auditioned them against his hd650 and they were freakishly close coming from the same source. Why does it sound like a headphone that costs 3 times as much? 😂 hifiman are wild

The only flaw is out of the box pre EQ the treble is a little hardcore. I was playing PSO2NGS and the weapon SFX were killing me, get that eq from reddit and these bad boys are bliss.

Last edited:

Shotterke

Prophet of Regret
Oct 31, 2017
Belgium
Man my girlfriend and i split so I ordered some Hifiman 400SEv2 headphones and a topping dx3 amp to treat myself

This shit is fucked up. My jaw was on the floor when I hooked them up and started listening to tunes. Then I found an EQ preset on reddit and my jaw dropped again.

I've never heard bass response like this on a headphone before. The speed and impact of drums is amazing, let alone guitar tone. Its fucked it up sounds so good at $200. Me and my brother auditioned them against his hd650 and they were freakishly close coming from the same source. Why does it sound like a headphone that costs 3 times as much? 😂 hifiman are wild

The only flaw is out of the box pre EQ the treble is a little hardcore. I was playing PSO2NGS and the weapon SFX were killing me, get that eq from reddit and these bad boys are bliss.
Could you link the EQ preset you used?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sort of sitting here running rapid fire thru diff genres wondering what kind of money I would have to spend to get something that actually sounds better than the EQ'd HE400SE. I really doubt from what I've heard from other 200-700 AUD options that this headphone actually has competition. I might have to audition a sundara but I really doubt it. Preliminary googling says its next competitor is the edition XS at 4 times the price. Lol.

Could you link the EQ preset you used?
github.com

AutoEq/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/HIFIMAN HE400se at master · jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

Automatic headphone equalization from frequency responses - AutoEq/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/HIFIMAN HE400se at master · jaakkopasanen/AutoEq
I'm using that peaceui eq thing.

Here's a post explaining the presets
Pretty amazing to have presets for 700 headphones for free like this. the internet is ok sometimes

Last edited:

Shotterke

Prophet of Regret
Oct 31, 2017
Belgium
I'm sort of sitting here running rapid fire thru diff genres wondering what kind of money I would have to spend to get something that actually sounds better than this.

github.com

AutoEq/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/HIFIMAN HE400se at master · jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

Automatic headphone equalization from frequency responses - AutoEq/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/HIFIMAN HE400se at master · jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

Pretty amazing to have presets for 700 headphones for free like this. the internet is ok sometimes
Thank you! Look really cool.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Looks like the HD58x and HD6xx went up in price again. $190 and $240. Tough pill to swallow when they were $50 less a couple months ago.

Maybe I should hold onto my headphones if they're all just going to go up in price like this.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Speaking of the HD6xx series cans, Zach has started selling pads for them: https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/zmf-hd6xx-earpads

Pretty pricey, but they do superb work over there, no doubt these would last forever. I haven't really touched my 58Xs since I got the Aeolus, but I'm definitely curious how they sound with the suede pads.
Curious how much these will change the acoustics. The pads on my HD6XX are pretty gross, so was going to buy 1st party replacements, but seeing as I don't even use those cans regularly anyway, I might give these a try.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Curious how much these will change the acoustics. The pads on my HD6XX are pretty gross, so was going to buy 1st party replacements, but seeing as I don't even use those cans regularly anyway, I might give these a try.

I forgot to include it in the post, but Zach also posted a video about them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkDKpssVm-Y

I have yet to properly watch it myself, but it seems to have some measurement graphs at least.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm sort of sitting here running rapid fire thru diff genres wondering what kind of money I would have to spend to get something that actually sounds better than the EQ'd HE400SE. I really doubt from what I've heard from other 200-700 AUD options that this headphone actually has competition. I might have to audition a sundara but I really doubt it. Preliminary googling says its next competitor is the edition XS at 4 times the price. Lol.
You might be surprised. Sundara easily runs the 400SE's shit. The latter is a great value buy for what it provides but isn't a world beater.

Speaking of the HD6xx series cans, Zach has started selling pads for them: https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/zmf-hd6xx-earpads

Pretty pricey, but they do superb work over there, no doubt these would last forever. I haven't really touched my 58Xs since I got the Aeolus, but I'm definitely curious how they sound with the suede pads.
Not bad on the price when you consider the Dekoni Elite pads are $79.99/69.99/59.99 for Hybrid/Sheepskin/Velour.

Dekkoni just released the egg shaped Hifiman pads too, I was interested until I saw they were $99.99 for the leather, ouch.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
My ZMF Atticus has been sitting 2 hours from my house for 2 days, with FedEx saying delayed by weather. It's been sunny skies for the last 3 days.

Damn I hate FedEx.

dis3ngag3d

Oct 26, 2017

github.com

I had to chime in quick and say thank you! I was not aware of AutoEq and all the headphone presets.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
YO come on FedEx!! I'd be showing up knocking on their door haha. I hope you get it tomorrow
It was even supposed to be delivered on Sunday, I'm already down three days at this point. The horror.

As of right now it updated at 2:30am this morning still about 2hr 15min away so it's only moved about 15 minutes in my direction over a 24-hour period.

After nearly 11 weeks of waiting for just the build, I have no patience left for FedEx's bullshit. Wtf are they doing?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Cross-posting here after accidentally using the game side audio thread.

I just got the Grado SR125x and I'm wondering if people have any recommendations on what to listen to on them. I hear they're great for guitar music in general, particularly acoustic stuff or anything that sounds very "live," but I'm open to whatever. Currently driving them with an O2 amp + SDAC, also have a Fulla Schiit available to use, not that they're hard to drive.

My usual, rather complicated demo song of The Soulforged by Blind Guardian sounds great. Bass isn't huge, as expected, but the mids and highs are very clear. The drums in particular sound fantastic.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
This is a bit tech support-y, but recently out of the blue, when I boot up my computer I'll have to go into my Windows' sound settings and disable then re-enable my DAC to get sound out. Nothing has changed on the hardware side, this just started being the case one day. I'm thinking it's Windows update related, but has anyone else run into a similar problem, and are there any possible steps I can take to fix it? I use a Schiit Modius, for what that's worth.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
I have Hifiman Aryas being fed by my PC thru a THX 789 and a Schiit Modi 3, but I keep finding myself eyeing the Abyss 1266 TC. Goddamn that price tho. Decisions decisions..

Oct 29, 2017
This is a bit tech support-y, but recently out of the blue, when I boot up my computer I'll have to go into my Windows' sound settings and disable then re-enable my DAC to get sound out. Nothing has changed on the hardware side, this just started being the case one day. I'm thinking it's Windows update related, but has anyone else run into a similar problem, and are there any possible steps I can take to fix it? I use a Schiit Modius, for what that's worth.
Connected via USB I assume? You could test if it happens with every USB port. I have had USB ports that start to act up and stop sending data without any apparent reason.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Connected via USB I assume? You could test if it happens with every USB port. I have had USB ports that start to act up and stop sending data without any apparent reason.
Yeah I should've mentioned I already tried that, even tried a different USB cable on the very off chance it was that. No bueno. I'm not getting any dropouts or crackling or any other signs of the audio signal being lost either, it's almost reminiscent of an HDMI handshake issue or something.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

I just got the Grado SR125x and I'm wondering if people have any recommendations on what to listen to on them. I hear they're great for guitar music in general, particularly acoustic stuff or anything that sounds very "live," but I'm open to whatever. Currently driving them with an O2 amp + SDAC, also have a Fulla Schiit available to use, not that they're hard to drive.

My usual, rather complicated demo song of The Soulforged by Blind Guardian sounds great. Bass isn't huge, as expected, but the mids and highs are very clear. The drums in particular sound fantastic.

What genres do you like? Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for, but even while owning multiple sets that cost beyond the $1k mark, I don't listen to random music that isn't within my normal wheelhouse just for the sake of pleasing the audiophile gods.

All I do when I get a new headphone is listen to my own personal favorite music. The best way to judge the intricacies of a set is with music you know better than anyone else and that with your mind can go into cruise control.

Diatribe aside, if you're looking for a song with good guitar, BB King - The Thrill is Gone is nearly unmatched, especially the live versions:

www.youtube.com

B.B. King - The Thrill Is Gone [Crossroads 2010] (Official Live Video)

Blues master B.B. King performs "The Thrill Is Gone" in Chicago at the 2010 Crossroads Guitar Festival. Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival 2019 collec...

The Grado also be good with female vocals and clear highs, something like Butterfly from the Cowboy Bebop OST should sound pretty nice:

www.youtube.com

Cowboy Bebop OST 4 - Butterfly

Web:http://radiomanga.nethttp://ostanimemusic.blogspot.comButterflyAnime: Cowboy BebopOST: Cowboy Bebop OST 4 Knockin' on Heaven's Door (1998)[audio]Cowboy B...

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
You have a point, I think I'll try some Elder and Electric Wizard first. I just know that the "Grado sound" is supposed to particularly shine in very specific areas so I was looking to branch out a little and listen to some of those. Thank you for the recommendations!

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
It was even supposed to be delivered on Sunday, I'm already down three days at this point. The horror.

As of right now it updated at 2:30am this morning still about 2hr 15min away so it's only moved about 15 minutes in my direction over a 24-hour period.

After nearly 11 weeks of waiting for just the build, I have no patience left for FedEx's bullshit. Wtf are they doing?
Please tell me you got them!

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Please tell me you got them!
Got a text a couple hours ago acknowledging the delay and saying the "expected" delivery date is tomorrow. Problem is the box is still sitting at the FedEx facility to which it arrived on Monday, so I guess we wait and see if it jumps on a truck in the morning.

I want this headphone so badly. I'll for sure post some pictures of the marblewood cups whenever it comes into my hands.

Oct 25, 2017
I had to chime in quick and say thank you! I was not aware of AutoEq and all the headphone presets.
You're welcome, neither was I until a few hours before that post.

Equalizing can make a huge difference but it so daunting. And a lot of audiophile discussion seems to be based on "feeling" rather than measurement so it's pleasing to see something like this which has been measured and collated

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Huntersknoll ara Got the Atticus in yesterday around 3pm, literally haven't taken it off my head for more than five minutes for potty breaks. Even slept in it. Took the day off work too.

Picks of the November Rarities Marblewood:

W7xmbUF.jpg

EPa9yI0.jpg

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Goddamn, those look nice. Enjoy! I busted out my Aeolus after a couple week break yesterday (been messing around with earbuds and IEMs again recently) and man, the sound just blows me away every time I do this. I'm forever interested in getting the Atticus too for when I need more isolation, but it'll have to wait until I can actually put over a thousand euros on another pair of cans that's very similar to what I've already got.

edit: also I've been fucking around with EQ more recently too, raised the low mids a bit with the Aeolus to push the vocals forward and I just love the effect so much. Yeah, this definitely pushes the cans to "too warm for most [in the hobby]" territory, but I guess it's time to finally admit that a real warm warm sound signature is the one for me. This and the Meze 99 Classics and CA Honeydew have made me realize that it's really the ~150-400hz (or thereabouts) boost I crave in particular, not necessarily a bassy sound. I don't need (or want) a huge bass boost, I just want punchy bass.

Last edited:

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Ra That is a great looking set! Enjoy all the listening. The Atticus are really something special. It's so fun the just listen to them at way louder than normal levels.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just read a possible solution for my dead Fiil T1X and I'll try it today. Fingers crossed! Otherwise I'm in the market for a new TWS.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I use my 6XX with the O2 + SDAC, also from Drop. It gets the job done. I also have a Schiit Fulla but no real reason to use it on desktop.

Also I am growing to resent the braided cable on my Grado SR125X. It's pretty stiff so you can feel that the upper part of the Y-cable is a bit curved, and it weighs about as much as the cans themselves so it can make positioning kind of awkward.

Skiddo

Oct 27, 2017
tl;dr Any experience with EQ on the HEDD HEDDPhone?

After a focus on speakers the last couple months, the shared walls of my town house are becoming a problem. Even set to 60db at 5PM in the afternoon, I'm told my speakers are rattling the neighbors wall and I will begin to face fines if I don't keep it down. Oh well, an excuse to splurge on some headphones again.

Currently the owner of:

HD-600: My everyday headphone, great dynamics and soundstage, but lacks bass. Better soundstage than the Planars and responded better to different amps.​

LCD-2 Fazor (2021): Outside of loudspeakers I am yet to own a headphone that is this good at overall dynamics, especially bass and mids. They do however leave a lot to be desired in the highs (even after multiple EQ tweaks).​

So, what's next? I have always pined for the HD800S as it appears to the "state of the art" for a Dynamic Headphones (at least under $5k). For whatever reason Vintage King doesn't carry the 800S so I looked at what options they had in a similar price range. A demo HEDDPhone was up for sale at $200 off. After some brief research I was excited to see this "Air Motion Transfer" tech applied to headphones. AMT allegedly allows for better reproduction in the higher frequencies due to faster air response. I will have 30 days to decide if that is in fact the case!

I planned to just scrape a few EQ settings off the net but was curious if anyone in the community had any experience with the HEDD brand.

My current audio chain PC (with Equalizer APO) -> USB ->Topping D90 -> XLR ->Topping A90 ->Balanced XLR OUT

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
That's interesting. Saw quite some contrasting views on YouTube and review sites. Going to keep an eye and see how prices go.
The amount of amp/DAC you need to enjoy a headphone is vastly overstated in this hobby. When you see someone say "this sounds amazing on my $2799 Burson Soloist 3x Grand Tourer", you have to keep in mind that they haven't listened to it on a Modi/Magni to know it just sounds good.
tl;dr Any experience with EQ on the HEDD HEDDPhone?

After a focus on speakers the last couple months, the shared walls of my town house are becoming a problem. Even set to 60db at 5PM in the afternoon, I'm told my speakers are rattling the neighbors wall and I will begin to face fines if I don't keep it down. Oh well, an excuse to splurge on some headphones again.

Currently the owner of:

HD-600: My everyday headphone, great dynamics and soundstage, but lacks bass. Better soundstage than the Planars and responded better to different amps.​

LCD-2 Fazor (2021): Outside of loudspeakers I am yet to own a headphone that is this good at overall dynamics, especially bass and mids. They do however leave a lot to be desired in the highs (even after multiple EQ tweaks).​

So, what's next? I have always pined for the HD800S as it appears to the "state of the art" for a Dynamic Headphones (at least under $5k). For whatever reason Vintage King doesn't carry the 800S so I looked at what options they had in a similar price range. A demo HEDDPhone was up for sale at $200 off. After some brief research I was excited to see this "Air Motion Transfer" tech applied to headphones. AMT allegedly allows for better reproduction in the higher frequencies due to faster air response. I will have 30 days to decide if that is in fact the case!

I planned to just scrape a few EQ settings off the net but was curious if anyone in the community had any experience with the HEDD brand.

My current audio chain PC (with Equalizer APO) -> USB ->Topping D90 -> XLR ->Topping A90 ->Balanced XLR OUT
Just briefly. The WEIGHT is going to be make or break before the sound. The 718g is no joke.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
The amount of amp/DAC you need to enjoy a headphone is vastly overstated in this hobby. When you see someone say "this sounds amazing on my $2799 Burson Soloist 3x Grand Tourer", you have to keep in mind that they haven't listened to it on a Modi/Magni to know it just sounds good.
Yep, that's what I got, Modi/Magni. Works very well with variety of stuff I have (HD6xx, pair of auditechnicas, Philips and couple others), but HD8xx seemed a lot more high end.

Good to hear that basic stack can drive it.

Dec 14, 2017
I don't know if I've been in here since I got my HiFiMan Edition XS, but I need to say that I never imagined they'd sound this good for <$500. The slightest touch of EQ makes them even better, but they're damned good as is.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Yep, that's what I got, Modi/Magni. Works very well with variety of stuff I have (HD6xx, pair of auditechnicas, Philips and couple others), but HD8xx seemed a lot more high end.

Good to hear that basic stack can drive it.
Man I run the Atticus off of the Schiit Hel 2E 99% of the time. It sounds so good through that, when I get off work I'm too lazy to unplug it to plug it into the amp/DAC on which I've spent $750. It just doesn't matter.

The real question is, should you be ignoring all of the negative professional and end-user reviews the 8XX has gotten. I sure wouldn't, especially not for a grifter like Zeos.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Man I run the Atticus off of the Schiit Hel 2E 99% of the time. It sounds so good through that, when I get off work I'm too lazy to unplug it to plug it into the amp/DAC on which I've spent $750. It just doesn't matter.

The real question is, should you be ignoring all of the negative professional and end-user reviews the 8XX has gotten. I sure wouldn't, especially not for a grifter like Zeos.
Yeah, that's the big question. And alternatively that Hifiman set above for $500 sounds very attractive.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Yeah, that's the big question. And alternatively that Hifiman set above for $500 sounds very attractive.
Biggest caveat with the XS is that, while the sound is nice, just watching the community it's almost a 50/50 shot at whether the headband comfort makes you hate the thing. People who acquire both the XS and the Ananda to compare often tend to keep the Ananda due to the comfort being so superior. I'd consider an open-box Ananda myself.

I honestly wish I'd heard the Ananda before I bought the Arya, it probably would've been good enough. But at least now I don't have to dream bigger.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Biggest caveat with the XS is that, while the sound is nice, just watching the community it's almost a 50/50 shot at whether the headband comfort makes you hate the thing. People who acquire both the XS and the Ananda to compare often tend to keep the Ananda due to the comfort being so superior. I'd consider an open-box Ananda myself.

I honestly wish I'd heard the Ananda before I bought the Arya, it probably would've been good enough. But at least now I don't have to dream bigger.
Hmm... I am thinking trying it on Amazon first since returns are so easy. Got to be comfortable of course.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
New cans coming out from ZMF, by the way: the Atrium

High end and their most neutral-leaning ones so far, so not for me, though. Would love it if ZMF made a new pair of more fun-sounding closed backs and really put all their accumulated knowledge and skills into it, but I'm guessing Atticus will fill that space for the foreseeable future, at least.

Dec 14, 2017
Ordered XS and keeping my fingers crossed the fit will be good. I love my HD6xx (best headphone for the price IMO), but bass is a bit lacking. I do have Philips Fidelio X2 for that, but it's then not as clear on highs and mids.
I have the HD650 and bought the Fidelio X2 for my ex-girlfriend, so I've experienced both. The XS is substantially better. I hope the fit works for you. I have a small head, so o had to buy some Dekoni Nuggets to make the headband work for me, but otherwise, it's an amazing headphone.