• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys EQ your 400i's at all?
Using APO + Peace parametrical EQ. It can definitely help it shine.
screenshot2018-02-281hcs9k.png

Creamie

Avenger
Nov 14, 2017
Got in the M1060C.. wasn't too impressed at the start, but after EQ'ing them they are coming alive. Definitely a different sound signature, but sound really great, amazing bass.

Jacky127

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
This might be irrelevant, but um... Is there any wireless headphones that work on both PS4 and Nintendo Switch (maybe via a transmitter or sth)?

Dec 14, 2017
Did anyone else go in for the Focal Elex drop? I'm curious whether they'll be an improvement over my HiFiMan HE-500 with focus pads.

I guess I'll find out in early May.

Dec 14, 2017
Hello audio heads, after dealing with a certain brand of earbuds for years I'm ready to call it quits and look for a decent pair of headphones that will last me for years. I'm a bit overwhelmed by many of the brands and types out there so I am requesting for help.

The earbuds I've purchased over the years were this brand: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038W0K2U/?tag=era0f0-20

However, these seem to be pretty cheap since they only seem to last for several months, in which I would have to use my 1 year warranty to replace them. My latest pair only lasted a month and that was the straw that broke the camel's back which is leading me to ask you folks your recommendations.

I'm looking for over-ear, noise cancellation headphones with a decent bass with a detachable cable that I could use for my Samsung phone, my Switch on the go, my PC, and my Sony 5.2ch AV receiver. If it helps, I listen to a variety of music, mostly of the instrumental, some electronica, R&B, and 80's pop. I would like something that has better bass than at least the above mentioned earbuds. oh and the price range I'm looking at it between US$100-$150 with $160 being the absolute limit. As of now I'm looking at:

--V-Moda Crossfade LP2
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HYH7HXA/?tag=era0f0-20

--Audio-Technica ATH-M50x

--Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Closed Back Headphone

Or are there better options you folks can recommend?
It's outside your budget, but my girlfriend and I have fallen in love with Oppo PM-3. But yeah, way outside your budget. You may be able to find some used ones for a significant discount, or you may stumble across an Amazon Warehouse deal. That's how I got both my HD650 and my HE-500 for a significant discount.

I also know that Phillips has put their slightly newer version of their X2 back into the market.

Keep in mind that HD598 and X2 are open headphones, so they won't provide any noise cancelling or isolation.

If you still want earbuds, the 1More triple and quad have gotten some rave reviews and they would provide great passive noise cancelling and isolation, as well as being able to easily be driven from a phone or portable source.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want to buy TH-X00 mahogany cans!
Any idea when massdrop might drop them again?
If someone have them give some experiences here how they sound and about build quality after x time etc!

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just got a pair of MEE Pinnacle P1 IEMs. Quite happy with them after browsing through a few songs.

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
What are the best bang for the buck portable amps right now? I have a DF Red but got turned off when someone measured it that it falls apart when volume exceeds 75%.

Is the Oppo HA2-SE or Mojo still considered the best? What about the new Fiio's?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I was bored, so I decided to take a family photo. Hopefully the site resizes these to the browser window (my understanding here is that it will):

0wcjkabbqxakeys5.jpg

Left to right (more or less):
First and last family photo. I was very bored to have rounded them all up. Collection sort of built up over the last 10 years or so. I don't have a single regret among them, though I do regret waiting so long to get a more powerful amp. The HD 650's and HE-5LE's were grossly under-served by my old Nuforce Icon HDP and Schiit Lyr 2. Just not enough power and performance to drive them the way they needed to be driven. Also, the Kennerton Vali + Lyr 2 was a bad paring. Lots of strange audio artifacts (sounded like distortion in certain frequencies) that made music listening unacceptably poor. I thought it was the headphones and they were shit. Nope. The issue was fully resolved when I moved to the Violectric amp.

That being said, I should probably sell some of them. No reason to horde them all. The 4 on the left + the IEM's are all I ever use with any sort of regularity.

edit: brighter picture

Last edited:

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
That being said, I should probably sell some of them. No reason to horde them all. The 4 on the left + the IEM's are all I ever use with any sort of regularity.
Doesn't owning something as high-end as LCD-4 kind of made owning rest of the headphones redundant? I'm genuinely asking, as I have only listened to HD650 of all the ones that you've listed.

andylsun

Oct 29, 2017
Just got some large Spiral Dots in from Japan. Oh wow. Lovely on the Rockets and about to try them on the baby stax.

I would say they are bigger than the Sureseals which only just fit in large.

Edit: They don't work with the baby stax. I'm going to get some ear impressions done and make some customs for those.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Doesn't owning something as high-end as LCD-4 kind of made owning rest of the headphones redundant? I'm genuinely asking, as I have only listened to HD650 of all the ones that you've listed.
Yea, it largely does. My use of everything not an IEM has dropped by about 90% after picking up the LCD-4's. but for certain genres, I like having options, as they will bring a different experience to the table.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whats the easiest way to turn my Sony WX-1000xm2 into a gaming headset? I've heard there's no way to get the built in mic to work on a PC, so is there such a thing as a clip on mic or something I could get?

Wozzer

QA Architect at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm currently using a pair of HyperX Cloud II's. I used to use a pair of Sennheiser HD555 coupled with an Antlion mic, but stopped using them after a few years when the Antlion mic got chewed through (for the second time, thanks cats) and I happened to get the HyperX's as a present at the same time. Unquestionably the Sennheisers (and the mic) was superior in every way, but I guess the convenience of the HyperX's kept me from seeking a true upgrade.

I've started playing more and more competitive multiplayer games (think Counter-Strike) and finding myself only using one earpiece in order to hear my own voice for VOIP, as I find the closed audio muffling my voice to feel awkward and an extra aside that I'm useless at maintaining my volume if I can't hear myself. Obviously this is a huge drawback, and even disadvantage in competitive games, so I'm starting to look for replacement alternatives.

So far it's looking like a toss-up between a headset solution that supports sidetone/mic monitoring so I can hear my voice in real-time OR a headphone/desktop mic solution that's open and/or has a sidetone/mic monitoring solution of its own. I'm looking for suggestions on which approach would be best fitting my situation (I'm expecting in this thread it's going to be the later) and recommendations for headphones/mics/headsets? It also seems a worthwhile time to step into wireless solutions, as a long-time wireless mouse user and hater of being tethered in general.

From my own research I've seen the LS30/40 as a frequent headset solution (heavily tailored to sidetone support) and various combination of wireless headphones (Sony/Sennheisers) with a Blue Yeti microphone for the headphone/mic solution. Without a doubt the main usecase for the headphones will be gaming, and they will reside at my desktop most of the time. It'll be primarily PC gaming, though some PS4/Switch gaming compatibility wouldn't go a miss.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
What's a good way to use my headphones with my iPhone X? I saw that dragonfly amp thing but it was kind of expensive. How would the sound quality be with a Bluetooth adapter like this? Would I still need to use an amp to drive my HD6xx?

Bluetooth Receiver/Transmitter, 2-In-1 Wireless Bluetooth Adapter /Stereo Output /Just need connect to 3.5mm AUX cord on the TV ,Speaker,PC, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Tablets , MP3 Player Or Car https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0192TH6HY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_BmHPAbWTNVAJF

SRO7

Nov 30, 2017
Hey guys

Not sure if this is the right place but can anyone recommend a decent IEM?

Comfort and Sound are my priorities. Budget: $200 and under.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, maybe ya'll can help me out here.

Most of my headphones usage is on my computer (where I'm pretty well set) or on my phone -- I don't have fancy DACs and I don't have high impedance headphones or the like.
What I do have, is a pair of Audio Technica AD900(x?) headphones, and I love them dearly. I've modified them so that the audio cable is only 4 inches long or so, and from there I use 3.5mm extension cables as "my cable" ... that way I can make whatever length I want/need and go from there.

But, of course, it's now the future! Or so say the phone companies, and 3.5mm seems to be dying off in the phone world.

What I want to know, is if there's a small USB-C DAC that's "inline". Ideally not much larger than, say, the butt end of a 3.5mm extension cable. I know it'll have to be at least a little larger, at least thumb drive size or so, but I don't want to be stuck trying to carry around a separate device that's as large as my phone. I want as close to "just another cable" as I can get.
I don't need a crazy good DAC, just one that's *at least* a little bit better than your typical phone, as I've heard that many of the adapters right now are "pass through" and of poor quality. Ideally it'd have a 3 foot/1m cable on the USB-C end, though my searches are coming up somewhat blech on that front. I'd just like to know if there's any good options you guys have noticed in here.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Did you consider the wireless Apple IEMs? They seem to get nothing but positive reviews.
Did you mean Airpod? It sounded ok for a pair of earbuds (no it's not IEM), which means still not very good. It's a "convenience" product first and foremost.

This is Apple's IEM(dual driver), it sounded pretty good for its price in 2009. But being Apple made, the rubber part started to turn yellow and began to smell within a year or two.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the best source for legal lossless file downloads nowadays? Not sure how Tidal works but does it allow you to download and use the file on a DAP?

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What would be a good upgrade from AKG Q701's? I think they're fine for classical and orchestral music, but wanting something more tailored for metal and synthwave, I've been listening to a lot of the latter lately. I absolutely love the wide sound stage and detail I get from the Q701s, but the bass impact leaves a little to be desired when listening to electronic music.

Setup now is Sound Blaster Z->Magni amp>headphones

Budget is up to $600, can go higher if warranted.

Mr_Kuschels

Oct 25, 2017
What would be a good upgrade from AKG Q701's? I think they're fine for classical and orchestral music, but wanting something more tailored for metal and synthwave, I've been listening to a lot of the latter lately. I absolutely love the wide sound stage and detail I get from the Q701s, but the bass impact leaves a little to be desired when listening to electronic music.

Setup now is Sound Blaster Z->Magni amp>headphones

Budget is up to $600, can go higher if warranted.
I only own the V-Moda M100 so I don't have anything else to compare it to, but listening to Synthwave myself along with Drum & Bass, Minimal House, Techhouse, etc. I'm super content with the V-Modas's performance especially in the lower frequencies. I'm pretty sure someone in here who's more tech savvy can give you a more detailed explanation and more alternatives but personally I couldn't ask for more. A lot of reviews state that the V-Modas are "fun headpones" due to the pronounced lower frequencies, so this might be something to look closer into it. They're closed headphones and cost between 200-250.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I was bored, so I decided to take a family photo. Hopefully the site resizes these to the browser window (my understanding here is that it will):

0wcjkabbqxakeys5.jpg

Left to right (more or less):
First and last family photo. I was very bored to have rounded them all up. Collection sort of built up over the last 10 years or so. I don't have a single regret among them, though I do regret waiting so long to get a more powerful amp. The HD 650's and HE-5LE's were grossly under-served by my old Nuforce Icon HDP and Schiit Lyr 2. Just not enough power and performance to drive them the way they needed to be driven. Also, the Kennerton Vali + Lyr 2 was a bad paring. Lots of strange audio artifacts (sounded like distortion in certain frequencies) that made music listening unacceptably poor. I thought it was the headphones and they were shit. Nope. The issue was fully resolved when I moved to the Violectric amp.

edit: brighter picture

I've been in the headphone game since 05 and only have the HD800 and PM-3 left. I mutmst have sold a shit load of headphones in my time:

Grado SR60
Senn HD595
Massdrop TH-X00
Massdrop TH-X00 Purpleheart
Shure SE535
Westone UM3
Denon D7000
AKG K702
Beyer T1
Senn HD650

There's more but I can't ever remember the days. C not that see myself ever upgrading my current setup though.

Chumley

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Audeze just announced Mobius this morning -- they're selling on Indiegogo. Had a chance to test these out last month -- it's a really great headphone. 3D audio and headtracking make a noticeable difference in immersion when playing a game or watching a movie (or even on the go listening to music). Affordable too at $250 for early bird buyers.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mobius-immersive-cinematic-3d-audio-headphone-headphones#/

I ordered one at $260, seems to be selling quickly. Lack of ANC fucking kills me, I'm using a Sony wh1000mx2 right now and curious how this compares.

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
I just backed these as well. Seems to be worth it just for the base headphone and wireless, the gaming stuff is also huge bonuses.

Though I am 100% a console gamer so I will have to adjust and use my Astro Mixamp if I want to use surround sound. Currently using the Fidelity X2's with a BoomPro. If these sound better and even still I get just 2 channel stereo I would take it.

Chumley

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just backed these as well. Seems to be worth it just for the base headphone and wireless, the gaming stuff is also huge bonuses.

Though I am 100% a console gamer so I will have to adjust and use my Astro Mixamp if I want to use surround sound. Currently using the Fidelity X2's with a BoomPro. If these sound better and even still I get just 2 channel stereo I would take it.

I've never used an amp before, if I'm using this on my pc is plugging it into my soundcard enough?

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
I've never used an amp before, if I'm using this on my pc is plugging it into my soundcard enough?

If you're PC you're golden. These headphones have their own amp and dac built right into the headphones. I don't know specifically how you'd connect, but these don't benefit at all with any external amps or DAC's.

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone, I am looking for a pair of headphones to make traveling on airplanes suck less. I have a pair of Koss portapros that I absolutely love, but they do nothing for me in noisy environments due to their open design. I listen to a lot of different types of music, but I only really care about excellent sound quality when I'm enjoying jazz. Mostly modal & free stuff. Apart from that, I'd like something that would allow me to watch movies & listen to podcasts clearly on airplanes. I am interested in noise-cancelling headphones, but if a closed design would provide sufficient protection against airplane hum I would be happy to pick up some of those. For whatever reason I am also attracted to the idea of picking up a wireless pair. My budget is ~$300, but lower is better. I have considered Bose QC 35ii, WH-1000XM2, and Sennheiser HD-1 and am inclined towards the Sony set. Are there any other headphones out there that might suit my needs? Thanks!

Chumley

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony set is the best. Much better sound quality over bose with nearly the same level of ANC.

I love the ANC so much that I'm kinda worried going without it on that Audeze Mobius pair in June.

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
Sony set is the best. Much better sound quality over bose with nearly the same level of ANC.

I love the ANC so much that I'm kinda worried going without it on that Audeze Mobius pair in June.

I've never used a headphone with ANC but with the Closed, Over-Ear headphones I have used, just playing music at a low volume drowns out most noise for me. I suppose if I was walking on a street next to traffic I'd think differently.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
ANC is only really worth it on planes. I mean, listening at a decent volumes on closed headphones blocks out 98% of everything outside anyway unless someone is literally drilling the pavement outside or some shit.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Got my DT 990's earlier in the week. Was hoping for an open DT 770 with better sound stage and positioning. I was willing to accept a little extra brightness.

Unfortunately they're a bit too bright for me. They're also far less comfortable than my 770's. I was surprised by that. They look like the same pads as my DT770's, but they're much more stiff. Not remotely pillow like. So those are getting returned.

I also bought a pair of PC37x's to use at the GF's place when I'm there. They're not as good as any of my better headphones, but they're comfortable, inoffensive and they have a good mic. So I picked up a second pair for my place. I like my 770's, but they can leave my ears ringing. I love my HD600's, but they're not as good for gaming as the other headphones. That and I like to leave them in their box for safe keeping.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Got my DT 990's earlier in the week. Was hoping for an open DT 770 with better sound stage and positioning. I was willing to accept a little extra brightness.

Unfortunately they're a bit too bright for me. They're also far less comfortable than my 770's. I was surprised by that. They look like the same pads as my DT770's, but they're much more stiff. Not remotely pillow like. So those are getting returned.

I also bought a pair of PC37x's to use at the GF's place when I'm there. They're not as good as any of my better headphones, but they're comfortable, inoffensive and they have a good mic. So I picked up a second pair for my place. I like my 770's, but they can leave my ears ringing. I love my HD600's, but they're not as good for gaming as the other headphones. That and I like to leave them in their box for safe keeping.

Regarding comfort you can't really compare out of the box pads to the ones you've been using for ages. They start off stiff and then soften up into the shape of your head after about 2 weeks. I recently changed the pads on my mobile HD800 and I had a headache using then for the first week.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Regarding comfort you can't really compare out of the box pads to the ones you've been using for ages. They start off stiff and then soften up into the shape of your head after about 2 weeks. I recently changed the pads on my mobile HD800 and I had a headache using then for the first week.

I replaced the pads on my DT770's when I got them. They were comfortable even then.

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, anyone have experience with the Geek Squad protection plan?
My A50s just started dying today and thankfully I have the coverage.

What is the procedure exactly?

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
Planning on getting my first pair of high-Ohm headphones (300Ohm+) in the near future. I know I'll need an amp. Is the Schiit Fulla 2 a good place to start? I figure since it works as an amp and a DAC, it would be a good, affordable option. And it's portable, so I can use it with my phone and laptop as well. Then when I have more money/if I think I need more power, I could pick up a bigger amp for desktop use and just use the Fulla 2 as a DAC. What do you think of that?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Planning on getting my first pair of high-Ohm headphones (300Ohm+) in the near future. I know I'll need an amp. Is the Schiit Fulla 2 a good place to start? I figure since it works as an amp and a DAC, it would be a good, affordable option. And it's portable, so I can use it with my phone and laptop as well. Then when I have more money/if I think I need more power, I could pick up a bigger amp for desktop use and just use the Fulla 2 as a DAC. What do you think of that?

Schiit don't really have a product in their range, especially for what they charge. You can't go wrong starting with the Fulla 2 and then transitioning into something better when you're ready.

Tonza

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of ANC headphones, my current BT pair is Beoplay H7 which I really like but they lose most of the low end when I am not in a quiet environment. (train, bus) Thus, I would like
to get a NC pair. H9i is new but expensive at 499 euros. Especially when I bought the H7 for around 200. Sony WH-1000XM2 has gotten good reviews too and seems like there are recommendations here too.

Loc

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone got experience with the Bose QuietComfort 35 or Sony Premium WH-1000XM2 while traveling?
Mostly airplanes, trains and subway rides.
I'm wondering if they are too clunky for longer use or if I should just get noise cancelling in ears tbh.

I really did love the sound of the Sony headphones but reviews say the Bose are more comfortable.