• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Ok thanks

Okay, I have one super last dilemma I want to share and I swear Ill stop bothering everyone here

I have been reconsidering the X2HR for gaming and have another alternative option I would like feedback on:

1) HD Sennheiser 599 + Mod Mic Uni + An audio Y splitter...

But I cant seem to find info on whether this set up would work on a dualshock. Im assuming i can plug an audio splitter into the dualshock, which would then allow me to insert the separate mic and headphone jacks:

UGREEN Headphone Splitter 3.5mm Audio Y Splitter Stereo Headset Adapter Cable 1 Male to 2 Female Aux Cord Connector for iPhone, iPad, Samsung, LG, Tablets, MP3 Players to Speaker, Earphone, Black: Amazon.ca: Electronics

UGREEN Headphone Splitter 3.5mm Audio Y Splitter Stereo Headset Adapter Cable 1 Male to 2 Female Aux Cord Connector for iPhone, iPad, Samsung, LG, Tablets, MP3 Players to Speaker, Earphone, Black: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Just make sure it is a headset and mic splitter. I use the one Antlion audio sells and have never had an issue with it.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, that would be these then: https://www.amazon.ca/Headphone-Splitter-Syncwire-Nylon-Braided-Smartphones/dp/B07431YDWM/ref=sr_1_8?crid=18L5S68NIDA7J&dchild=1&keywords=headphone+and+mic+splitter&qid=1598548142&s=electronics&sprefix=headphone+and+mic+,electronics,165&sr=1-8

Gonna do some more digging through comments but I think Ill put up with the cable management if the X2HR is as bad as I am reading for imaging/footsteps.

Yeah it isn't too bad. I just take the mod mic off when I am not using it.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Does anyone have a recommendation for a lighting to 3.5mm jack like the one linked below? (random one off amazon)

Amazon.com: Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter for iPhone 8 /8Plus/7/7Plus/X/10/XR/Xs/XS Max Dongle Earphone AUX Lightning Headphone Adapter Splitter Audio & Charge Connector Cable Support All iOS System: Electronics

Buy Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter for iPhone 8 /8Plus/7/7Plus/X/10/XR/Xs/XS Max Dongle Earphone AUX Lightning Headphone Adapter Splitter Audio & Charge Connector Cable Support All iOS System: Adapters - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

I use BT headphones, but my wife likes to use headphones while charging. As I type that maybe a wireless charging mat would be an option. I'd like to look at the adapters like the one linked above first though.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it isn't too bad. I just take the mod mic off when I am not using it.
Thanks

I decided to go with the 9500 after all that trouble. Mulling the HD 599, but if it's not a significant improvement then I wont bother with the hassle of having to buy a modmic and dealing with two cords.

Shouldve trusted my gut about the Fidelios, but I got too caught up in its praise for music/movies, which isnt my primary concern.

I might not even open the 9500 depending on how 9600 ends up reviewing.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so! Amazon told me that even if I use my headphones, I can return it for a full refund in 30 days.

Im going to try the Fidelios, then Im going to try the 9500, and then Im going to return one.

Will this hurt the seller's business or are they protected? Im buying from a 3rd party seller and i dont want to take advantage of a business

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Hey all.

Bought a pair of B&W PX7s yesterday and am very happy with them. Was curious if anyone here has a clear understanding of aptX Adaptive, and what is required for a phone to support it? Information about what phones have it seems scant.

It didn't get listed in the developer settings of my Mate 20 Pro, only aptX and aptX HD. Seems to be missing both aptX LL and Adaptive.

Edit: The jump from in quality from my Windows laptop's standard aptX to what's sent to the cans over USB C is nuts.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020
Do I need a DAC/AMP for easy to drive headphones (30-50 ohms)??

If so, what your recommendation for small size one that also support consoles??

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Any recommendations for a pair of bluetooth headphones in the budget range? My new phone doesn't have a 3.5mm jack so I'm giving in to bluetooth for portable purposes. I see that the Jabra Elite 85h's are currently on sale for $120, is that a good buy?

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
Hey all.

Bought a pair of B&W PX7s yesterday and am very happy with them. Was curious if anyone here has a clear understanding of aptX Adaptive, and what is required for a phone to support it? Information about what phones have it seems scant.

It didn't get listed in the developer settings of my Mate 20 Pro, only aptX and aptX HD. Seems to be missing both aptX LL and Adaptive.

Edit: The jump from in quality from my Windows laptop's standard aptX to what's sent to the cans over USB C is nuts.

What requires a phone to support aptx and any other fancy bluetooth codec is if the bluetooth chip in the phone supports it.

In other words, you gotta look up the spec sheet of your phone and find the "bluetooth" section. The newer the phone, the more likely it has support of these codecs.

aptx, LDAC and any other fancy bluetooth thing are just codecs that decrease and/or increase the audio quality of sound via bluetooth

Both the phone (or bluetooth source device) and the bluetooth headphone/speaker must support the codecs to actually utilize them

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
What requires a phone to support aptx and any other fancy bluetooth codec is if the bluetooth chip in the phone supports it.

In other words, you gotta look up the spec sheet of your phone and find the "bluetooth" section. The newer the phone, the more likely it has support of these codecs.

aptx, LDAC and any other fancy bluetooth thing are just codecs that decrease and/or increase the audio quality of sound via bluetooth

Both the phone (or bluetooth source device) and the bluetooth headphone/speaker must support the codecs to actually utilize them
Sure. My phone supports aptX HD. What I'm unclear about is if Low Latency and Adaptive require new hardware, or if it's just a software implementation that can be supported on existing chipsets. Numerous websites claim it is "backwards compatible", but it's really unclear if that means that existing hardware supports the codec, or if the new codec works with headphones that only support aptX/HD.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. My phone supports aptX HD. What I'm unclear about is if Low Latency and Adaptive require new hardware, or if it's just a software implementation that can be supported on existing chipsets. Numerous websites claim it is "backwards compatible", but it's really unclear if that means that existing hardware supports the codec, or if the new codec works with headphones that only support aptX/HD.

It's all software. Maybe you can get it support via a firmware update but I never heard of that personally. I only heard of people buying another more modern bluetooth device if they really want support of LDAC, aptx, etc.

Backwards compatible just means that even if both devices don't support the fancy codecs, they're still able to connect to each other wirelessly via bluetooth.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so! Got my X2Hr and they just sound way too wrong!

Playing on PC, games like APex and Siege sound idk...empty? Like when i use the hyperx, all the sounds are loud, immediate, and intimate. X2HR sounds distant, even on full volume, and almost like the announcer in siege is talking through a long metal tube.

It works fine on my dualshock though. any advice? tried eqaulizers on Windows 10 which help change up the sound but nothing sounds natural.

Motherboard is asrock z77 pro3

Should I just get a DAC AMP for my X2HR/SHP9600?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018
Could anyone recommend a pair of comfortable wireless headphones? I've been using a pair of Sennheiser hd 280 pros for the past few years at home and this last year they have slowly started to disintegrate from usage and even the cables starting to cut in and out sometimes. Padding on the top ripped and in general it's time to lay it to rest.

Anyway, I have online classes from 9-4 everyday so I'm listening to lectures and classmates for hours everyday. Would appreciate a recommendation for a set of nice and comfy wireless headphones. I have AirPod pros already but they also get invasive if I have them inside my ears for 8 hours a day. Definitely want headphones.

Budget is $100-$200. Was just going to get a pair of Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT for cheap or something but wanted to ask first. Since I can't go a store and test things out due to covid thought I'd ask here. Appreciate any help.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Could anyone recommend a pair of comfortable wireless headphones? I've been using a pair of Sennheiser hd 280 pros for the past few years at home and this last year they have slowly started to disintegrate from usage and even the cables starting to cut in and out sometimes. Padding on the top ripped and in general it's time to lay it to rest.

Anyway, I have online classes from 9-4 everyday so I'm listening to lectures and classmates for hours everyday. Would appreciate a recommendation for a set of nice and comfy wireless headphones. I have AirPod pros already but they also get invasive if I have them inside my ears for 8 hours a day. Definitely want headphones.

Budget is $100-$200. Was just going to get a pair of Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT for cheap or something but wanted to ask first. Since I can't go a store and test things out due to covid thought I'd ask here. Appreciate any help.

Have you tried regular Airpods? It took me a week or two to get used to them back in the day, but after that, they genuinely felt like nothing in my ears. Could easily keep them on forever. They sit on your ears, sort of, unlike the Pros which go inside your ear. They can't go for 7-8 hours on one charge, of course, but I'm sure you take breaks.

Mar 3, 2018
Have you tried regular Airpods? It took me a week or two to get used to them back in the day, but after that, they genuinely felt like nothing in my ears. Could easily keep them on forever. They sit on your ears, sort of, unlike the Pros which go inside your ear. They can't go for 7-8 hours on one charge, of course, but I'm sure you take breaks.

yeah I used to have them...before they slipped out of my pocket while riding a bicycle and got destroyed by the traffic haha. Honestly since I have the pros already, don't wanna buy regular AirPods again, and also here in Canada regular AirPods comes out to $250 so honestly fuck that. Would rather buy a set of comfy headphones

Mar 3, 2018
im legit speechless....sorry for double post, but this is such a coincidence, here I am asking for-headphones advice and Just 20 minutes ago I had unexpected door bell ring and I went down and it was a delivery. I open and its an early birthday present from a friend from out of town who I speak to a-lot about music and audio stuff in general. H e fucking sent me a pair of Sennheisers!

Sennheiser HD1 Over-Ear Headphones for Apple Devices, Black : Amazon.ca: Electronics

Sennheiser HD1 Over-Ear Headphones for Apple Devices, Black : Amazon.ca: Electronics

I dunno how respected or well reviewed they are but Im using them now and I love them. Im just grateful. So fucking comfortable and sound is great. Man im happy. But also it feels so crazy how I am in need of headphones now and this arrives.... 2020 has been really been trash so this has really made me feel good.

Sorry if the post seems like im bragging, Just wanted to share some good news.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
im legit speechless....sorry for double post, but this is such a coincidence, here I am asking for-headphones advice and Just 20 minutes ago I had unexpected door bell ring and I went down and it was a delivery. I open and its an early birthday present from a friend from out of town who I speak to a-lot about music and audio stuff in general. H e fucking sent me a pair of Sennheisers!

I dunno how respected or well reviewed they are but Im using them now and I love them. Im just grateful. So fucking comfortable and sound is great. Man im happy. But also it feels so crazy how I am in need of headphones now and this arrives.... 2020 has been really been trash so this has really made me feel good.

That's awesome! And a hilariously good timing. Sometimes things just work out by themselves.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017

NIce

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Glad I found this place haha. Recently got a great deal on a set of Arctis Pro Wired headphones for my One X. Currently connected via optical from the Xbox.

All seems good so far but I really wonder about the DTS stuff and if its worth it. I must admit, I don't 100% understand what it is doing, so I leave it off.

I am used to a 5.1 setup for my music/gaming etc, so this is new for me. Just wondering if anyone else has these. Seem pretty comfy so far!

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I just discovered a next level experience when it comes to soundstage.

I plugged a pair of open backed headphones into my Xbox controller and booted up Forza Horizon 4. Thing is I forgot to turn the volume down for my TV speaker system. So the audio is playing on both.

The music started and I noticed that the soundstage is just crazy - it sounds like I'm standing directly Infront of a live stage.

Last edited:

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I am once again asking this forum for help:

Got my 9600s but they sound muffled. Can anyone explain why? Is this normal? When Im playing a game and a grenade goes off, it sounds unclear or distorted. It sounds like everything is very quiet and not clean or natural. Is this just how the headphones are??

BrokenBox

Oct 26, 2017
Looking for some help as someone who runs/cycles. I've been using the wired Philips Neckband SHS5200/28 for years, but looks like they're now discontinued. I can't use earbud type headphones more than ten minutes without discomfort, so I'm looking for something on-ear like the Philips or maybe another option that's not earbud. Can be wired or wireless.

One option I've seen are the AfterShokz Open Ear headphones, but I've never used bone conduction headphones. I'm looking to spend under $100 if possible, but am willing to spend more for quality. Appreciate any suggestions ya'll might have!

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
Looking for some help as someone who runs/cycles. I've been using the wired Philips Neckband SHS5200/28 for years, but looks like they're now discontinued. I can't use earbud type headphones more than ten minutes without discomfort, so I'm looking for something on-ear like the Philips or maybe another option that's not earbud. Can be wired or wireless.

One option I've seen are the AfterShokz Open Ear headphones, but I've never used bone conduction headphones. I'm looking to spend under $100 if possible, but am willing to spend more for quality. Appreciate any suggestions ya'll might have!

If you're looking for on-ear and not over-ear, you can get the 1More Triple Driver Over-Ear. They call it over-ear but the cups are small enough that a lot of people consider them an on-ear headphone.

If you can wait, massdrop is about to sell a shipment of them for $125 which is the lowest i ever seen them for brand new. Typically it's $150-200

drop.com

1MORE Triple-Driver Over-Ear Headphones | Audiophile | Headphones | Closed Back Headphones | Drop

Drop exclusive price and reviews: 1MORE Triple-Driver Over-Ear Headphones | With a great reputation for producing high-value IEMs, 1MORE is now bringing its...

There are some stores that are selling them now but at around the $150-$180 mark.

Of course used/refurbished is always an option ;)

You can also try buying different types of tips for your earbuds to find one that's comfortable. That will be cheaper than straight up buying a new pair of headphones.

Amazon.com: Dekoni Audio Mercury Bulletz Moldable Memory Foam Isolation Earphone Tips, Black, 4.9mm, 3 Pack (Sample (S, M, L)): Electronics

Amazon.com: Dekoni Audio Mercury Bulletz Moldable Memory Foam Isolation Earphone Tips, Black, 4.9mm, 3 Pack (Sample (S, M, L)): Electronics

I like Dekoni foam tips and been using them on my Starfields

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I may need a bit of advice here. Too many brands, too many reviews, so perhaps someone here went through something similar as me?

The best headset I ever had is my old Sony PS Gold bluetooth set. Paid 100$CAD for it a couple years back then and they did a decent job all the way, but now the earcups in faux leather are peeling off. I ordered new earcups from Amazon but noticed other headsets and wanted to aim for something more high end and durable. The PS Gold HS becomes uncomfortable after some time, it gets hot in there quickly. I'd like something that breathes and is comfortable and durable, no faux leather, something like memory foam or fabric, IDK.

I would also like to avoid having to use/buy a DAC, money isn't a problem, more like the principle of always having to have the box along the headset turns me off, for example if I just want to slam my headset in my Switch, a DAC makes it all a lot less convenient to use. Not sure if I'm a purist enough to enjoy the intricacies it would provides either. I mainly play video games and listen to music on my cellphone and PC.

A pair that catched my attention are the
Fidelio X2HR, I guess those would be a decent upgrade from where I am, right?

Last edited:

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Yes! I still use my Fidelio X1 and love them. If it ever dies I wouldn't think twice about replacing them with the X2.

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
I just picked up a pair of Sony XB900N and I really like them, my only gripe is I wish they'd go just a tiny bit louder :/ are these a good pair for $170 or should i return them tomorrow and keep searching? I had a pair of sennheiser GSP 300s before these and I liked them a lot, but they are wired and I tripped over them twice and ruined them and the front audio jack on my pc :( (thats why I went with the wireless Sonys)

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys. So! I've been thinking of returning BOTH my Fidelio X2 and SHP9600. The Fidelios hurt my head and the 9600s sound is too distorted. I hear imaging is better on HD599/990 Pro and that's important for competitive games

Since I will be connecting PS4 and PS5 to my computer and ditching the TV, can anyone help me?

-Planning on buying the HD599 or the Beyerdynamic 990 Pro
-Planning on getting a desktop mic like the Blue Snowball...

Can I plug in the HD 599 to the Dualshock, and then the Blue Snowball into the PS4 and get both to work?

alternatively, assuming the DS4 cant drive the BT 990/HD 599, can I use a USB adapter to plug the headphones into the PS4?

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Has anyone here tried the Steelseries Arctis 1 Wireless and the Arctis 7? How different are they in sound quality?

I am about to buy the Arctis 1 Wireless for Xbox since they basically works with just about everything wirelessly and it's a big plus. But I don't know if I should really jump for the 7s. If the difference in sound quality is that abysmally different I would, but I can't really know for sure

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
I have some Fidelity X2's that I just have dropped off the couch, because in the right ear cup I hear something moving around when I turn my head. Like someone small inside broke off but I can't see anything if I take the earcups off.

Has this happened to anyone else?

They still work fine but it is slightly annoying.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
After years of owning the HD800, finally went ahead and did the SDR mod to help tame that treble spike. Glad the French dude who made the mod is still taking orders (since I'm not confident in my DIY skills to make the resonators myself).

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
OK help me decide for gaming/great imaging to hear pinpoint sounds/direction:

-HD 599
-DT 990 (will the impedance be a problem on console?)
-TYGR 300 R
-Something else?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone here own any ZMF headphones? I'm wondering where to go in the future with the hobby. I suppose the next step would be headphones in the 700 to 1000+ euro range, and since my tastes still haven't particularly changed - I like bassy, warm, detailed headphones with lush and rich and thick mids and lows and slightly more laid back highs - I feel like the ZMF Atticus could be worth considering. The rest doesn't really matter - open or closed, easy or hard to drive, etc.

What other brands/models should I look into? Audeze is an obvious one, and the LCD-2s have been on my "want to try" list for quite a while now. I remember seeing a video that got me interested in Focal Clears too (and since Focal is a European brand, I might actually get to try them at a store in Finland too).

e: well, I suppose the Focal Clears and Atticus would both end up being closer to 1500 euros, so I suppose the range is a bit bigger. These would be headphones that I could hopefully use and love for decades to come - or end game as the cool kids say - so I suppose there's some leeway when it comes to the price.

Last edited:

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my first "endgame" headphones <3.

My new dac and amp got delayed so listening it off my Element. My god I never heard something so clean and fun before...and I'm coming off Sundaras!

EjR9SmHWAAYTj9J

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here own any ZMF headphones? I'm wondering where to go in the future with the hobby. I suppose the next step would be headphones in the 700 to 1000+ euro range, and since my tastes still haven't particularly changed - I like bassy, warm, detailed headphones with lush and rich and thick mids and lows and slightly more laid back highs - I feel like the ZMF Atticus could be worth considering. The rest doesn't really matter - open or closed, easy or hard to drive, etc.

What other brands/models should I look into? Audeze is an obvious one, and the LCD-2s have been on my "want to try" list for quite a while now. I remember seeing a video that got me interested in Focal Clears too (and since Focal is a European brand, I might actually get to try them at a store in Finland too).

e: well, I suppose the Focal Clears and Atticus would both end up being closer to 1500 euros, so I suppose the range is a bit bigger. These would be headphones that I could hopefully use and love for decades to come - or end game as the cool kids say - so I suppose there's some leeway when it comes to the price.

Not having own or tried any of the mentioned headphones, from what i understand, it's a lot easier to get that warm bassy sound from high end dynamics than planars (Audezes being the exception). If you only want "slightly" laid back highs, there are people saying that Audezes tend to be way too recessed in the treble to the point where they would say they are dark sounding.

Personally unless you really want the planar bass, I would go for ZMF or the Focals. Plus you don't have to deal with the potential weight issue some people have with Audeze headphones :P

Then again, I'm not an expert and I never own or heard those headphones. I'm pretty sure someone a while back posted pics of their ZMFs so hopefully they are still active and they'll chime in.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Not having own or tried any of the mentioned headphones, from what i understand, it's a lot easier to get that warm bassy sound from high end dynamics than planars (Audezes being the exception). If you only want "slightly" laid back highs, there are people saying that Audezes tend to be way too recessed in the treble to the point where they would say they are dark sounding.

Personally unless you really want the planar bass, I would go for ZMF or the Focals. Plus you don't have to deal with the potential weight issue some people have with Audeze headphones :P

Then again, I'm not an expert and I never own or heard those headphones. I'm pretty sure someone a while back posted pics of their ZMFs so hopefully they are still active and they'll chime in.

Interesting, thanks for the insight! It's of course hard to gauge how recessed or laid back I feel I need the highs to be and it's even harder to put into words, but that's part of the fun - trying out stuff and seeing what works for you. I do know they have to be at least somewhat recessed, cause I find very clear, sharp highs extremely fatiguing, potentially even painful. Possibly due to tinnitus.

I've been googling around since that last post and interestingly, it's Audeze headphones that are the most readily available here right now, with multiple stores selling them that have easy and solid return policies, so trying one for myself would be risk-free. I've been so curious about the planar sound for so long that my next step is likely going to be getting the LCD-2Cs from one of those stores sometime next year and seeing how I like it. If I don't, I'll just return the cans and keep searching. Going to a store and trying headphones on there isn't a very appealing thought right now due to rising COVID numbers.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
I need a wireless probably over ear pair that has the same sound profile and quality as my 1more quad drivers that are comfortable to wear all the time. Budget up to $400 or so.

What should I look for?

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
I need a wireless probably over ear pair that has the same sound profile and quality as my 1more quad drivers that are comfortable to wear all the time. Budget up to $400 or so.

What should I look for?

The big name wireless over-ear at that price point that aren't noise cancelling headphones are the THX Pandas

I don't know much about how the quad drivers sound like so I would say do your own reserach on the Pandas and see if it sounds like what you want.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Hey y'all, I'm planning a move and downsizing my can collection and I'm looking to offload my nearly pristine Sennheiser HD650s (original case and all) (And possibly my Hifiman HE-400s w/ velour pads, possibly), and figured I'd see if any of you fine folks have any interest before I offer it elsewhere. PM me if so. :)

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I remember a thread a while ago that was talking about some cheaper earbuds that had amazing sound for the price. Any idea what these might have been I think they were around 30 bucks

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Looking for a replacement headset for my Hyper x Cloud II and Hyper X Cloud Flight

Need to be comfortable, have good quality audio for gaming/youtube etc and have a decent mic with good noise cancellation to not pick up my desk fan

Would the SteelSeries Arctis 7 be a good replacement?