• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
This looks a lot better then MM11, shame it didn't happen.
I have to disagree. Looks like a GBA game, and as far as Capcom is concerned, it's golden age had a similar visual style and use of color that MM11 actually paid tribute to and continued.

Other than that, for demo footage, it looks damn good. ESPECIALLY in the controls. Had it been picked up, no doubt they'd visually polish it up to par with where Capcom was during the SNES/PS1 era.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what other ips interest them?

chip-and-dale.gif

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It is absolutely insane to me that they would go to the lengths of making that demo without knowing if they would get the OK. At this point I think they might be better served making their own original games; surely Sonic Mania put them on the map?

rdbaaa

Oct 27, 2017
It is absolutely insane to me that they would go to the lengths of making that demo without knowing if they would get the OK.
First off, it's not insane, it's how the business works. Second, what they likely got an OK for was presenting the pitch/demo, which you then make/finish up with the hopes they greenlight the full title. That's very simplified/presumptuous but basically this is not some wild anomaly.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
First off, it's not insane, it's how the business works. Second, what they likely got an OK for was presenting the pitch/demo, which you then make/finish up with the hopes they greenlight the full title. That's very simplified/presumptuous but basically this is not some wild anomaly.

Do we know all of this for a fact, or just assuming? Specifically, do we know if they got funding for the demo / pitch?

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Both Darkwing Duck games on NES and GB are fantastic games. It's a bummer this didnt work out.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Why would Capcom want to publish a Darkwing Duck game in 2018-2019?

Hey, how about pitching a Cowboys of Moo Mesa or Bucky O'Hare game to Konami?

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Why would Capcom want to publish a Darkwing Duck game in 2018-2019?

Hey, how about pitching a Cowboys of Moo Mesa or Bucky O'Hare game to Konami?
The DuckTales remaster sold 1.2 million copies long before there was any consumer-level knowledge of the reboot. That'd probably be the main reason why.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how that Disney Afternoon Collection do?

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I might say that Capcom were foolish to turn these guys down, but considering that they would've had to have dealt with Disney, I can't really blame them for not picking up the project. I know they've worked together in the past, but I can't imagine modern Disney being an easy partner to work with.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great but it also sounds like a licencing nightmare between Disney and Capcom. Capcom doesn't own it so they'd have to go to Disney, and I could imagine that Disney has no interest in marketing this old and forgotten IP.

But I'm very curious as to what this talented team is going to bring next. This means that they aren't working on the next 2D Sonic I assume?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The DuckTales remaster sold 1.2 million copies long before there was any consumer-level knowledge of the reboot. That'd probably be the main reason why.
This is the hardest pill for me to swallow. Capcom worked with Wayforward on Ducktales Remastered and did so on a reasonable budget knowing full well that this kind of game is not going to be a several million seller. Everything was reasonable and made to appeal to a smaller demographic, not all that different to what they already do with remakes and remasters of their old games currently. And it did 1.2 million, which is very great! And there's no follow-up... Nothing. They even previously talked about how they might do more but nothing happened. Everything began and ended with Ducktales Remastered in the end. I don't entirely blame Capcom though, Disney is a very big key player and generally very awful when it comes to their IPs as we've seen numerous times.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
This is the hardest pill for me to swallow. Capcom worked with Wayforward on Ducktales Remastered and did so on a reasonable budget knowing full well that this kind of game is not going to be a several million seller. Everything was reasonable and made to appeal to a smaller demographic, not all that different to what they already do with remakes and remasters of their old games currently. And it did 1.2 million, which is very great! And there's no follow-up... Nothing. They even previously talked about how they might do more but nothing happened. Everything began and ended with Ducktales Remastered in the end. I don't entirely blame Capcom though, Disney is a very big key player and generally very awful when it comes to their IPs as we've seen numerous times.
If I had to guess, I'd say the Disney Afternoon Collection was the follow-up and that thing probably bombed huge.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay looks a bit boring, but that's to be expected for a proof of concept at that stage. Looks like an amazing lost sega saturn game. Sad that it wasn't picked up.

Oct 27, 2017
I love Sonic Mania but I'm not sure how I feel about devs putting out failed pitch demos. It just aims fan anger at publishers you want to have a working relationship with. Game looks cool.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the original but it felt like a more generic licensed game than Duck Tales. I think working on Sonic was more important given how well Mania turned out.
Well this was after Mania. Which would also be a pretty good indication that they (or at least Simon) isn't working on Mania 2, which seems pretty crazy to me, because if I was Sega, I'd be throwing resources at a Mania sequel right now.

I don't understand why they would pitch this to Capcom. Although it's a spirtual sequel to a Capcom game, Capcom doesn't own the license and it isn't really using anything copyrightable from the original beyond the music, which I'd assume is placeholder.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That looked any dime-a-dozen licensed platformer from the 16-bit era. Can't see why Capcom would be interested.

These guys should've asked Capcom to make a new Mega Man game and have it called Mega Mania.

Hello McFly, there was already a new Mega Man game released recently, and two retro MM games released previous to that one.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Honestly there's really nothing in that demo video that looks remarkable

I think some of you need to get your nostalgia in check

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
If a Sonic Mania 2 isn't being made that will be a true crime. What are SEGA trying to do with this team? Give em the opportunity to make one game then shut em down?

Such an oddly mismanaged franchise. Mania owned but thats being followed up with the one-two punch of Forces and now what looks to be an awful movie? Why?

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It's depressing how quick people will jump to shitting on a company when they didn't fund a game you thought looked cool.
Maybe they have their reasons? If I was Capcom I wouldn't be interested in resurrecting franchises I don't own right now. Better to invest that money into stuff they can profit off themselves.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I read a lot of Disney comics when I was a child and I never got the Darkwing Duck appeal outside the parody genre of dark superheroes.

A game from that... I probably would prefer a Maui Mallard game or another approaching over the Looney Tunes characters, like Daffy Duck in the Wizard.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Looks like a more unique, Flinthook-esque game than the Mega Man reskin the NES game was. So as a Mega Man fan I definitely prefer the original, lol.

Still, it's a shame they didn't get to fully realize their vision. Mania was pretty great, after all.

I dont remember the original being a megaman reskin at all. I wouldve noticed because I suck at megaman. Lol.

Gun Dog

Oct 27, 2017
They probably would've had more luck if they pitched something original or a Capcom IP, rather than something from Disney.