• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

Ryan Gosling’s ‘Wolfman’ Gears Up at Universal as Director Decision Nears (EXCLUSIVE)

Universal is pushing ahead for "Wolfman" -- which is being developed as a starring vehicle for Ryan Gosling -- to be its next monster movie.
Months after Universal successfully relaunched its monster universe with Elisabeth Moss's "The Invisible Man," the studio is pushing ahead for "Wolfman" — which is being developed as a starring vehicle for Ryan Gosling — to be the next movie based on its catalog of iconic creatures.

Sources tell Variety that executives at Universal have been meeting with directors over the past month and could be making a decision soon on who will take the reins behind the camera. While there is no frontrunner at the time, Cory Finley, who recently received rave reviews for directing HBO's drama "Bad Education with Hugh Jackman and Allison Janney, is said to be in the mix for the job.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I hadn't realized the recent Invisible Man was part of another attempt at a monster universe.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Small budget, hire creative filmmakers and let the concept breathe correctly. It kinda worked for Invisible Man, now execute better with Wolfman. You can do it Universal

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Was it this successful ? I thought "invisible man" was absolute garbage.

Not the cast or performance but like ... the premise ? The actual film ? The finality ?

Like THIS is what you did with it ? Really ?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, the monsterverse what? Back from the dead, you say? What?
From the article:
Universal had originally planned on creating an interconnected universe with its vast catalog of monster IP. However, the studio reassessed after "The Mummy" with Tom Cruise misfired, and decided to move forward with filmmaker-driven projects based on the monsters' legacies, focusing on what made the characters endure over time. Instead of prescribing a mandate that the films be part of a larger scheme, Universal loosened those restrictions and open-sourced to filmmakers to create their own unique stories.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
they should have cast me, a verified actual wolf, instead

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017

Not the cast or performance but like ... the premise ? The actual film ? The finality ?

The writing was very sloppy, but it was filmed well and the cast did a good job. I wouldn't say garbage but I didn't like it that much

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

From the article:
"The Invisible Man" cost $7 million to make, and earned $122 million at the box office before movie theaters were forced to close due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought The Invisible Man was a flawed movie with an interesting take on the concept. I'm interested in seeing this vision play out.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Bring this back

dark-universe.jpg

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'll see Gosling in basically anything anyway, but considering how averse he's been to doing franchise films in the past, him joining this immediately makes me interested

I hadn't realized the recent Invisible Man was part of another attempt at a monster universe.
Only in the sense of creating a new direction for their monster movies. Doesn't seem like this is another Dark Universe attempt.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Please bring back the Russell Crowe character and have this be a Jeckyll/Wolfman buddy comedy monster caper.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, I thought that monsterverse/dark universe idea was deader than Bela Lugosi. Interesting, as I'm currently doing a project with a friend where we'll try to watch all 30+ movies in the Universal monster universe.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I thought The Invisible Man was a flawed movie with an interesting take on the concept. I'm interested in seeing this vision play out.
To my surprise, I thought The Invisible Man was really good especially using the real life powerful, rich, man in a controlling relationship with a woman and refusing to let her go beneath the horror of it. I look forward to The Wolfman if they can do something as interesting.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How many times is Universal gonna reboot their Monsters franchise and not do a new Creature from the Black Lagoon before the whole thing goes tits up again? Like for fucks sake, we don't need a new Dracula, or Mummy, or Wolfman, etc. They've literally beaten those horses to death to the point that it's no surprise audiences don't really give a shit about them anymore. Invisible Man worked because it was something modern audiences weren't really familiar with. Go back to the Amazon and give people some scary shit they haven't seen before.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
From the article:

Universal had originally planned on creating an interconnected universe with its vast catalog of monster IP. However, the studio reassessed after "The Mummy" with Tom Cruise misfired, and decided to move forward with filmmaker-driven projects based on the monsters' legacies, focusing on what made the characters endure over time. Instead of prescribing a mandate that the films be part of a larger scheme, Universal loosened those restrictions and open-sourced to filmmakers to create their own unique stories.

Actually, that wasn't even the first time the Dark Universe misfired. Before that, there was Dracula Untold, which they added a Dark Universe tie-in stinger to in post-production... only to pretty much abandon mentioning it anymore on release of the finished product so that The Mummy could be the film that launched it. But then that fizzled too.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a Blumhouse production? I dont care about it if its a Universal thing without Blumhouse involved.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
This could be really good. Aside from the twist with Hopkins' character I actually really liked the 2010 remake. Hopefully they'll use practical effects again this time.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I never realized people actually liked the dark universe, so a couple posts in here surprised me.

Can't say I was one of them though, so I'm on board with this direction. Hopefully, they find a good creative route here.