• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
www.nytimes.com

Opinion | He Predicted Trump’s Win in 2016. Now He’s Ready to Call 2020. (Published 2020)

Most historians just study the past. But Allan Lichtman has successfully predicted the future.

His prediction:

Trump loses re-election bid

His 13 keys are pretty interesting if you watch the video.

Right now, polls say Joe Biden has a healthy lead over President Trump. But we've been here before (cue 2016), and the polls were, frankly, wrong. One man, however, was not. The historian Allan Lichtman was the lonely forecaster who predicted Mr. Trump's victory in 2016 — and also prophesied the president would be impeached. That's two for two. But Professor Lichtman's record goes much deeper. In 1980, he developed a presidential prediction model that retrospectively accounted for 120 years of U.S. election history. Over the past four decades, his system has accurately called presidential victors, from Ronald Reagan in '84 to, well, Mr. Trump in 2016.

In the video Op-Ed above, Professor Lichtman walks us through his system, which identifies 13 "keys" to winning the White House. Each key is a binary statement: true or false. And if six or more keys are false, the party in the White House is on its way out.

So what do the keys predict for 2020? To learn that, you'll have to watch the video.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Regardless, go out there and VOTE DAMMIT!!!

EDIT: Well, maybe not exactly "go out there" at this time but use your absentee/mail-in ballots!

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
He's just been lucky with coin flips. I mean, when there are only two main parties running...

Now, if he were to call 2024's election today, then I would be impressed.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
sorry but presidential Halloween mask sales are a better indicator of who's going to win

Oct 27, 2017
Wikipedia said:
In 2016 it predicted at first victory for challenger party nominee Donald Trump but then announced that Trump could lose, although qualifying that prediction with a high degree of uncertainty due to the noisiness of the data.[26][25]

Looks like he both predicted he could win and he could lose at the same time to me

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Professor Lichtman's record goes much deeper. In 1980, he developed a presidential prediction model that retrospectively accounted for 120 years of U.S. election history. Over the past four decades, his system has accurately called presidential victors, from Ronald Reagan in '84 to, well, Mr. Trump in 2016.
This is impressive but VOTE

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
This guy wasn't the only one predicting Trump win in 2016. Here's another one.
www.google.com

Professor Says Trump Has Strong Chance of Winning Reelection

Helmut Norpoth, a political science professor at Stony Brook University who forecasted Trump's 2016 win eight months ahead of the election, said on Fox News that the president's reelection chances are above 90 percent.

He predicts Trump will win again in 2020 under certain conditions.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
god im so tired of this.

also he wasn't the only one, Micheal Moore predicted trumps win, im sure there were others.

I mean, Michael Moore is more saying his gut feeling, versus building some model. But also pretty much all election forecasting in advance is bullshit, the polls weren't actually wrong, and are a much better tool for guessing what's about to happen than whatever historical model someone can build.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
These posts are so worthless. Is anyone actually saying this? Where are you getting this sentiment from?
I say it to get people mad to make sure they vote.

80386119.jpg

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
This guy wasn't the only one predicting Trump win in 2016. Here's another one.
www.google.com

Professor Says Trump Has Strong Chance of Winning Reelection

Helmut Norpoth, a political science professor at Stony Brook University who forecasted Trump's 2016 win eight months ahead of the election, said on Fox News that the president's reelection chances are above 90 percent.

He predicts Trump will win again in 2020 under certain conditions.
I mean dude announced prediction on the ingraham angle and bases it on Iowa and New Hampshire.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His indicators aren't too bad. Is the economy doing poorly? Is there a large amount of social unrest? Do people actually like the president? Trump flops on a lot of those.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
America is literally on the line this November. I am not fucking joking.

If we want America to get back to some sense of normalcy, Joe Biden needs to be elected President at LEAST. Otherwise, forget democracy, America will be a fascist dictatorship starting in January 2021.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
He claimed he predicted Gore right because he won the popular vote but not the electoral college; then he says he predicted Trump right cause he won the electoral college, but not the popular vote.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Am I the only one that's a bit tired of the modern article headline format of "X happened. Then Y happened."? Coupled with hiding the answer behind a spoiler link in the OP, it's one of those extremely minor nuisances in life that disproportionately annoys me.

Furthermore, "the polls were wrong" from 2016, as stated in the OP, isn't really true. Polls gave a percent change that Hillary would win; they didn't claim she would win without a doubt.

Nov 21, 2017
Trump is going to be the worst version of Hobert Hoover. Also, I need to get Lichtman's book.

Last edited:

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the only people that correctly predicted this dumbass winning were people that wanted it to happen in the first place. Real real impressive lol

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I watched the video and the guy seems like a quack who has hit a lucky streak. I mean, I hope he's right, but his methods for prediction are ridiculous.