• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I keep trying HGIG, but it just looks too dim and the highlights look so dull on my LG CX. Just not for me I guess. Sticking to DTM for now.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
All these OLED settings and tweaking for the best calibration makes my head spin.
Yup, things are super complicated even for my tech oriented mind.

Things should be simple. I still dont know what are the best calibration settings for my 1 year old tv. Each game needs its own calibration which is tiresome.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, things are super complicated even for my tech oriented mind.

Things should be simple. I still dont know what are the best calibration settings for my 1 year old tv. Each game needs its own calibration which is tiresome.

Once everyone starts using the system level calibration these issues should go away.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Either the one labled "brightness" or "paper white" increase these until you find the image easier to see in your environment.

Okay great. I will give this a shot. It seems straight forward enough when there are sliders for nits or paperwhite etc., but it gets a little hazy when it strays away from this. Games seem to be all over the place in this regard. I wish they would all follow a standard with in game manual adjustments as well. For example, I booted up the PS5 version of MK11 on my lunch break and the options for HDR were:

* Image Adjust: Adjust until image on left disappears.
* HDR 10: Off/Device Default/On
* HDR type: Standard/High End/ Professional (WTF is this?!!) lol

Then you have a game like Demon's Souls and it's simply Contrast and Brightness with no real detail besides an arbitrary in game number which defaults to "50".

Last edited:

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's probably placebo but I did this on my B7 (which obviously does not have HGIG) and while playing Demon's Souls I got the impression that the HDR looks even better than before. Huh.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Okay great. I will give this a shot. It seems straight forward enough when there are sliders for nits or paperwhite etc., but it gets a little hazy when it strays away from this. Games seem to be all over the place in this regard. I wish they would all follow a standard with in game manual adjustments as well. For example, I booted up the PS5 version of MK11 on my lunch break and the options for HDR were:

* Image Adjust: Adjust until image on left disappears.
* HDR 10: Off/Device Default/On
* HDR type: Standard/High End/ Professional (WTF is this?!!) lol

Then you have a game like Demon's Souls and it's simply Contrast and Brightness with no real detail besides an arbitrary in game number which defaults to "50".
Yeah devs seem to be all over the place on the implementation. I really like the simple luminescence and paper white sliders. Nothing else is really needed. AC odyssey used that but paper white is gone now with exposure being the new one. I think its the same but not really sure lol

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
hey let's try to not get all pretentious about this guys, acting like anyone who is a touch confused about certain settings is a complete nob. Unless you are constantly combing through these threads or a calibrator, it can get confusing fast. BTW, I prefer DTM in a lot of my games to HGIG. This is a fairly new standard and a lot of games don't support it and therefore look shit IMO. Some games, like No Man's Sky look fantastic using HGIG, but this is not the case with every game. Other than this setting I have my TV pretty much dead on what is suggested. I'm trying to find a happy medium here and I'm a bit unsure of how to achieve that, which is why I'm asking questions. I would like to flip on HGIG and leave it alone, but in order to be satisfied with that I want to be able to adjust in games that are too dull. I would also like to be able to change it to DTM on a per game level without calibrating all over again.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
hey let's try to not get all pretentious about this guys, acting like anyone who is a touch confused about certain settings is a complete nob. Unless you are constantly combing through these threads or a calibrator, it can get confusing fast. BTW, I prefer DTM in a lot of my games to HGIG. This is a fairly new standard and a lot of games don't support it and therefore look shit IMO. Some games, like No Man's Sky look fantastic using HGIG, but this is not the case with every game. Other than this setting I have my TV pretty much dead on what is suggested. I'm trying to find a happy medium here and I'm a bit unsure of how to achieve that, which is why I'm asking questions. I would like to flip on HGIG and leave it alone, but in order to be satisfied with that I want to be able to adjust in games that are too dull. I would also like to be able to change it to DTM on a per game level without calibrating all over again.

Totally agree. Just having some fun.

Full Recovery

Needs a sandwich
Oct 26, 2017
USA
I have to use Medium, even warm 1 has a yellow tint. Looks great when I game in the dark, will have to try it when the sun is out tomorrow.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So for for my 2017 lg b7 with a "dimmer" game mode, I did the tweaks in game mode where the sun is gone and noticed that if I switch to another mode like cinema and go through the calibration again I can now see the sun in the first two steps.

Can I get some of the peak brightness back by switching to a non game mode like cinema and doing the system hdr tweaks there and just bumping it a few times higher then going back to game mode?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Should we calibrate in-game examples the same way? For example Shadow of the Tomb Raider has a small white box with a symbol it asks you to make barely visible; Are we actually suppose to make those fully invisible too? Might you know EvilBoris ?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't get why but my C8 and PS5 dont like RGB Full (adjusting black level) even if Vincent recommends it. I lools different than Limited and basically blows out blacks.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why but my C8 and PS5 dont like RGB Full (adjusting black level) even if Vincent recommends it. I lools different than Limited and basically blows out blacks.

Yeah, it was an issue with PS4 and LG too. Limited on console, wide on the TV and don't use auto. I wouldn't mind seeing a video from him that shows the difference if I'm missing something.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
There's a lot of emphasis on HGIG being enabled but no mention of what users without HGIG displays should do. Sony makes no mention of the calibration tool being specifically for HGIG, so I don't know what to think. As a B7 owner, I really don't know what I should be setting. Following the prompts on the ps5 left me with a good picture with (as far as I could tell) true blacks. I didn't hyper analyze it though.

Would be nice if people with TVs less than 5 years old weren't left out of the conversation when it comes to this stuff, but I digress.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
There's a lot of emphasis on HGIG being enabled but no mention of what users without HGIG displays should do. Sony makes no mention of the calibration tool being specifically for HGIG, so I don't know what to think. As a B7 owner, I really don't know what I should be setting. Following the prompts on the ps5 left me with a good picture with (as far as I could tell) true blacks. I didn't hyper analyze it though.

Would be nice if people with TVs less than 5 years old weren't left out of the conversation when it comes to this stuff, but I digress.

He says what to do in the comments luckily. Follow Ps5 instructions for white points, and all the way down for black.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
If you don't have HGIG would you use the same settings? I am using a KS8000 and was wondering if I should so the same thing? (Clip the white and lower black all the way down.)

ShadowRunner

Oct 29, 2017
I have set the 'Mastering peak' to 1000 in the HDMI signaling override menu. With the 1000nit metadata DTM maps to that instead of the default of 4000nits. You can then do the consoles HDR calibrition once and switch between DTM on/off as you please.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for posting this thread. I finally got a PS5, and the advice here helped me quickly dial in settings. I'm finally seeing what all the fuss is about with HDR. Demon's Souls and Miles Morales look fantastic on my CX.

swazzyswess

Mar 26, 2018
The colors are so much better and accurate. In hindsight, DTS produces a washed out, overly contrasted image that took away a lot of color from Demon's Souls. I am legitimately blown away. The lighting engine really sings with these settings in every location in Demon's Souls.

I've only had my CX for a few weeks and just applied these settings a few nights ago, and I totally agree that it makes a huge difference for Demon's Souls. I'm also new to HDR, so I just assumed that the crazy contrast applied by dynamic tone mapping was the ideal presentation. Everything is so much more balanced now, yet colors pop more.

The only visual issue I've encountered with Demon's Souls is incredibly minor, which is some pixelated color gradients in 5-2 and a few other spots, usually when looking off into the distance. I'm not sure if that's the game or my TV, but I haven't messed around with trying to reduce it.

Anyone have the Game of Thrones 4K UHD set? Season 8, The Long Night episode... Looks kinda shit on my PS5 with clear jumps in gradient. I wonder if that's just how the film is encoded/compressed.

Tried adjusting the HDR black level back up again, change back to limited RGB/Black etc. but still severe color banding in the darkest scenes.

This is actually like what I get in Demon's Souls sometimes. I don't have the GOT UHD set, but I do remember that episode was infamously terrible from a PQ perspective when it first streamed. I would assume they'd clean it up for a 4K release, but maybe it wasn't totally fixable?

I am curious if this is an issue with the CX or just the source content though.

Last edited:

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
This is actually like what I get in Demon's Souls sometimes. I don't have the GOT UHD set, but I do remember that episode was infamously terrible from a PQ perspective when it first streamed. I would assume they'd clean it up for a 4K release, but maybe it wasn't totally fixable?

I am curious if this is an issue with the CX or just the source content though.
I actually ended up asking the same question in another thread ( https://www.resetera.com/threads/ar...ray-players-on-their-own.350002/post-54765055 ) and it was suggested that this is a common issue with current OLED TV's in that there's banding in the darker grey colors (and as some pointed out it's a little discussed weakness with current OLED production). I haven't had time to test this out thoroughly myself yet but it seems likely to be the case.
Maybe this thread helps: https://www.resetera.com/threads/banding-issues-on-my-lg-cx-oled.343603/
Seems to be the case that all OLED TVs have some form of banding.

Ego

Banned
Dec 6, 2020
Same with my CX, HGIG mutes and dulls everything a bit more than I like. I'm keeping it off.
Honestly, sticking to DTM is the best decision I've made. Games look so much better. I don't give a shit for accuracy if it's aesthetically displeasing for me.

I second that. In most cases DTM makes this whole HDR calibration thing obsolete. I get very good results with it turned on (without the hassel others go through.)

Mar 31, 2020
Same with my CX, HGIG mutes and dulls everything a bit more than I like. I'm keeping it off.
Honestly, sticking to DTM is the best decision I've made. Games look so much better. I don't give a shit for accuracy if it's aesthetically displeasing for me.
I second that. In most cases DTM makes this whole HDR calibration thing obsolete. I get very good results with it turned on (without the hassel others go through.)

To me, DTM is kind of like night vision goggles mode for games. Sure, it makes things easier to see in instances where the character goes into a dark room or cave, for example, but the intent is for you to feel unease and not be able to see all the small details inside the dark room or cave.

It's like how laundry detergent is purposely made blue to makes whites appear whiter than they actually are, or how grass during sporting events is made to look almost neon green. It pops out and gets your attention, but it's a visual trick with the eye and not at all accurate.

Last edited:

swazzyswess

Mar 26, 2018
I actually ended up asking the same question in another thread ( https://www.resetera.com/threads/ar...ray-players-on-their-own.350002/post-54765055 ) and it was suggested that this is a common issue with current OLED TV's in that there's banding in the darker grey colors (and as some pointed out it's a little discussed weakness with current OLED production). I haven't had time to test this out thoroughly myself yet but it seems likely to be the case.

Aww, that's really disappointing. I just mentioned this in the thread you linked to, but I read a ton of reviews for the CX and don't remember a single one mentioning the banding issues. And it's really not a huge issue for me so far, but when I drop like $2k on a TV, I don't expect such a noticeable flaw. That said, I need to remind myself that I returned the X900H (a very solid TV in its own right) because it had bigger flaws than I what I see on the CX. I'm definitely considering trying out a Q80 though.

flaviowolff

Aug 11, 2020
Basically for what I could gather reading all Vincent comments and such.

OLED TVs without HGIG:

Steps 1 and 2, follow the PS5 adjuster. Step 3, all the way to black if you play in dark room, or adjusted if you're in a lit room.

OLED TVs with HGIG:

Step 1 and 2, a tick above barely visible (first tick being invisible). Step 3, all the way to black if you play in dark room, or adjusted if you're in a lit room.

LED TVs with HGIG:

Steps 1 and 2, a tick above barely visible (first tick being invisible). Step 3, follow PS5 adjuster.

LED TVs without HGIG:

follow the PS5 adjuster totally.

Another option to try out on LG OLED's without HGIG is to set white to 4000, or even 10000 (max), and black to 0, and just enable Dynamic Tonemapping, which already expects high nits. Except for 1000 nit content, no LG OLED TV will ever display the "director's intent" correctly, so HDR is a matter of preference.