• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Yeah I'm pretty sure it was on. It's not a setting I ever remember messing with, so if the default was on then probably. Still, regardless of what setting caused the change, it's dimmer lol

Yes- it is on by default for game mode. While it results in a brighter image with more "pop" - it also doesn't follow EOTF and often results in clipped highlights. It'll be a bit of an adjustment, but keep in mind that now that you're following PQ, you're seeing what the developer/colorist/director intended for you to see, whether gaming or watching TV/film content.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yes- it is on by default for game mode. While it results in a brighter image with more "pop" - it also doesn't follow EOTF and often results in clipped highlights. It'll be a bit of an adjustment, but keep in mind that now that you're following PQ, you're seeing what the developer/colorist/director intended for you to see, whether gaming or watching TV/film content.
Yeah I'll give it a shot for a bit and see how I feel. I honestly like the extra pop of color, I'm not too fussed if it's not accurate to the original color grading. I'm the one that spent $2K on the TV, so I just want whichever picture is more pleasing to my eye haha. But I'll stick with this for a bit and see how I feel

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Yeah I'll give it a shot for a bit and see how I feel. I honestly like the extra pop of color, I'm not too fussed if it's not accurate to the original color grading. I'm the one that spent $2K on the TV, so I just want whichever picture is more pleasing to my eye haha. But I'll stick with this for a bit and see how I feel

Truth be told, for gaming, it's really up to you. If you like the extra pop and don't care about clipped/crushed highlights, then knock yourself out. If you watch film content with it, though- well, then you're just a poo-poo head. ;)

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Ugh. I still can't do HGIG. I gave it a good try last night, but I just hate how dim it looks. I know I know. Lighting conditions etc are important.. I don't always want to watch everything in a barely lit room though and even still it just looks drab to me. I used DTM and went through the same process though and it looks fantastic so this is were I'll stay for now.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I never heard of HGIG until today, unless there's a french equivalent maybe?
In any case I'm not sure my TV supports that (Samsung EU KS8000 from late 2016), so I've been following the PS5 instructions and I think things look great (have only played Astro and Demon's Souls so far).
I'm still surprised everyday by how nits this TV has lol, it's crazy

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Ugh. I still can't do HGIG. I gave it a good try last night, but I just hate how dim it looks. I know I know. Lighting conditions etc are important.. I don't always want to watch everything in a barely lit room though and even still it just looks drab to me. I used DTM and went through the same process though and it looks fantastic so this is were I'll stay for now.

Nothing wrong with using DTM if you don't mind the crushed/clipped highlights, but don't use it in conjunction with the HDR adjustment menu in the PS5. Just leave the PS5's HDR settings at defaults.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

No real point in going through the process if you're using DTM. Guess you could turn DTM off and do it to get a good base level but not sure that really helps.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
No real point in going through the process if you're using DTM. Guess you could turn DTM off and do it to get a good base level but not sure that really helps.

Why is there no real point? The same rules should apply for the setup, no? I make the first two images disappear and the last all the way down on the black level. Seems to do a good job to me? I've adjusted so much at this point though I may just perceive it as looking good. heh

Nothing wrong with using DTM if you don't mind the crushed/clipped highlights, but don't use it in conjunction with the HDR adjustment menu in the PS5. Just leave the PS5's HDR settings at defaults.

huh.. okay. So there is no reason to adjust HDR settings on the PS5 if using DTM? This menu is literally only for those with HGIG displays? I guess my problem with all this is if a game doesn't support it, isn't it more of a pain in the ass to turn it on and adjust at a per game level than it is to just turn on DTM and leave it be?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is there no real point? The same rules should apply for the setup, no? I make the first two images disappear and the last all the way down on the black level. Seems to do a good job to me?

huh.. okay. So there is no reason to adjust HDR settings on the PS5 if using DTM? This menu is literally only for those with HGIG displays?
It's for HGIG displays or those with Dynamic Tone Mapping set to "Off".

With Dynamic Tone Mapping "On", the tone mapping is... Dynamic, lol. It varies from scene to scene so a calibration tool isn't going to do much.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Why is there no real point? The same rules should apply for the setup, no? I make the first two images disappear and the last all the way down on the black level. Seems to do a good job to me? I've adjusted so much at this point though I may just perceive it as looking good. heh

huh.. okay. So there is no reason to adjust HDR settings on the PS5 if using DTM? This menu is literally only for those with HGIG displays? I guess my problem with all this is if a game doesn't support it, isn't it more of a pain in the ass to turn it on and adjust at a per game level than it is to just turn on DTM and leave it be?
Well, because it's dynamic. The TV is altering the image to give you a punchier image that shows your TVs capabilities better.

It's done temporally so it's not harsh cuts. So setting white points in games peak brightness , etc is only going to have a limited effect (or maybe sets a starting point?) as the TV is going to take the image and push up the highlights, increase contrast, etc.

It's image enhancing just like dynamic contrast and all those other settings on TVs. Some people like to use those to make the image more appealing to them and others like to get as close to artist intent as possible. Both approaches are equally valid.

The video is about the second approach.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Curious but for people saying HGIG is dimmer, are you all on LG? I'm on a Samsung here and I dont know if its because my picture was calibrated pretty well in advance but when I turn on HGIG if anything it actually brightens the image a little more.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Well, because it's dynamic. The TV is altering the image to give you a punchier image that shows your TVs capabilities better.

It's done temporally so it's not harsh cuts. So setting white points in games peak brightness , etc is only going to have a limited effect (or maybe sets a starting point?) as the TV is going to take the image and push up the highlights, increase contrast, etc.

It's image enhancing just like dynamic contrast and all those other settings on TVs. Some people like to use those to make the image more appealing to them and others like to get as close to artist intent as possible. Both approaches are equally valid.

The video is about the second approach.

I realize the videos intent, but I do appreciate your explanation, so thank you. It bothers me that I don't like the results with HGIG actually, because my heart wants the most accurate picture possible. But my eyes say DTM is the way to go, with games at least. I want to like it with HGIG enabled, but I just....don't. To the point where I feel like I must be doing something wrong. I was hoping these adjustments would have changed my mind. :(

Curious but for people saying HGIG is dimmer, are you all on LG? I'm on a Samsung here and I dont know if its because my picture was calibrated pretty well in advance but when I turn on HGIG if anything it actually brightens the image a little more.

Yeah, LG C9 here.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I realize the videos intent, but I do appreciate your explanation, so thank you. It bothers me that I don't like the results with HGIG actually, because my heart wants the most accurate picture possible. But my eyes say DTM is the way to go, with games at least. I want to like it, but I just....don't. At least so far. I was hoping these adjustments would have changed my mind. :(

Yeah, LG C9 here.

I hear you.

Maybe next time you're starting a new game you could try it with HGIG for the first few hours and then change to DTM to compare? It's hard to change these things once you're used to something. I still can't get into warm2

Either way, they both have advantages.

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
I had some time to check my settings yesterday and here what I am using.

PS5 set to PC - LG CX 55"
PS5 RGB Range - Full
TV Black Level Low
DTM ON

Everything looks crisp and colorful.

When I switch to Black Level High, everything turns washed out grey and and I have to lower the in game brightness to make it look okay. For example Spiderman Resmatered, Contrast at 8 and Brightness at 34.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

PS5 RGB Range - Full
TV Black Level Low
DTM ON

When I switch to Black Level High, everything turns washed out grey and and I have to lower the in game brightness to make it look okay. For example Spiderman Resmatered, Contrast at 8 and Brightness at 34.

That's weird. Someone who understands the levels better might chime in but I think you should be getting pretty bad black crush with those settings.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I realize the videos intent, but I do appreciate your explanation, so thank you. It bothers me that I don't like the results with HGIG actually, because my heart wants the most accurate picture possible. But my eyes say DTM is the way to go, with games at least. I want to like it with HGIG enabled, but I just....don't. To the point where I feel like I must be doing something wrong. I was hoping these adjustments would have changed my mind. :(

Yeah, LG C9 here.
Ahhh. Could be wrong but it seems Samsung don't actually have DTM either, no idea if they use something similar by a different name as many of the brands seem to but if they do I suppose whatever would be the equivalent was turned off on mine.

Edit: ah, it appears to be a bonus of Dolby Vision? In that case I guess its unavailable on samsungs with PS5 unless they add HDR10+ support

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I hear you.

Maybe next time you're starting a new game you could try it with HGIG for the first few hours and then change to DTM to compare? It's hard to change these things once you're used to something. I still can't get into warm2

Either way, they both have advantages.

Ha, yeah, the Warm2 thing took me a bit, but I have fully converted. I still think the preset is a *tad too warm on the C9, but better / more accurate than Warm 1, so Warm2 it is.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)

PS5 RGB Range - Full
TV Black Level Low
DTM ON

The TV and PS5 should match. Very important! Since you are running in PC mode, switch them both to Auto and you should be good.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania

PS5 RGB Range - Full
TV Black Level Low
DTM ON

I was on the same boat until I put the PS5 RGB range to full and tv black level to high after that I ran the PS5 HDR calibration again and it looked way better than before. I have the contrast set at max in game and brightness at 40. HGIG looks worse in any case so I set DTM On.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

PS5 RGB Range - Full
TV Black Level Low
DTM ON

With the PS5 and the CX, you should leave black level and RGB range both to auto.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

PS5 RGB Range - Full
TV Black Level Low
DTM ON

I'm the most open minded for tv settings , as myself I don't like these tips from professional usually. But buying a CX and not calibrating the black level on your two device accordingly is a big no no. It's called crushed black. Get away from this

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm pretty new to the 4k/HDR TV game, but being an anxious motherfucker I have invested a lot of time into understanding how this shit actually works. Based on my findings, I think the on/off comparisons between HGIG/DTM is problematic no matter how your PS5 or TV is calibrated. DTM is gonna look brighter (i.e "better" to most people) either way even if you're risking getting a double or triple tone mapped image.

I think it's better to calibrate HDR for both your TV and your console with HGIG on and use it for an extended period of time with multiple games until you get used to it. Then try to switch and see if the extra brightness is truly better.

I only have a PS4 pro at the moment, so I'll reserve my final judgement until the new consoles are in my possession.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to revert to my previous settings but still use Vincents approach.

HGIG is just too dim, so I'll turn DTM "OFF" and use Sonys HDR calibration with Vincents +1 approach and black level all the way down.

This gives a brighter display but not to the absurd levels of DTM ON. A nice compromise between HGIG and ON.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Interesting. I enabled the HGIG option on my Q60T and the colors look better now. I don't see any DTM options though so not sure if its not available on this TV or it cannot be disabled.

Q60T user here. Enabling HGIG brightens the image for me as well. I looked around the other settings but I don't see anything related to DTM, maybe it doesn't have this setting.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018

PS5 RGB Range - Full
TV Black Level Low
DTM ON

Your settings are completely wrong. You have crushed blacks.

You want Low - Limited or High - Full.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I enabled the HGIG option on my Q60T and the colors look better now. I don't see any DTM options though so not sure if its not available on this TV or it cannot be disabled.

Q60T user here. Enabling HGIG brightens the image for me as well. I looked around the other settings but I don't see anything related to DTM, maybe it doesn't have this setting.
From what I can tell DTM is a benefit of dolby vision so its not available for us. However, if Sony were to add HDR10+ support which is the Samsung open source version then it would have DTM.

Unfortunately virtually nobody has ever added HDR10+ support to anything. Outside of amazon prime I couldn't name anything else that supports it.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
From what I can tell DTM is a benefit of dolby vision so its not available for us. However, if Sony were to add HDR10+ support which is the Samsung open source version then it would have DTM.

Unfortunately virtually nobody has ever added HDR10+ support to anything. Outside of amazon prime I couldn't name anything else that supports it.

It's got nothing to do with Dolby Vision afaik

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
The issue is Vincent never showed how this effects actual games. I like the idea to tuning this, but it had to be supported of scientific method. He has the tools to do it.

He makes an assumption that you want to choose the darkest setting on for blacks, with the assumption that the calibration controls the floor, but then didn't back it up to show that in a game, blacks are now true blacks and not close to black. His assumption could be wrong, the "barely visible" value might actually test and calibrate to your your TVs lowest visible luminance and not the black level.

Not saying i think that, but the video is incomplete without showing it.
Curious about this as well.

Last edited:

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
ITT bunch of folks coming to grips with their conditioning and subjective tastes (which are just fine)

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
I can't reply to everyone, but I will try the different settings when I get home. I googled it and yeah the examples of crushed blacks I found are what I am seeing. It looked good to me but, the black details that will be lost are noticeable.

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
I was on the same boat until I put the PS5 RGB range to full and tv black level to high after that I ran the PS5 HDR calibration again and it looked way better than before. I have the contrast set at max in game and brightness at 40. HGIG looks worse in any case so I set DTM On.
How does the main dashboard look for you? Bright and colorful, or dull?

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017

PS5 RGB Range - Full
TV Black Level Low
DTM ON

Just reiterating what everyone else says. Match the RGB/black level, recalibrate the console HDR HGiG stuff and per game brightness settings for games that have them. There's going to be nothing right about mismatching the RGB range of the PS5 and the TV.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

If a game doesn't have in-game HDR controls then it is using the system level settings and therefore supports HGIG. That wasn't super common last gen but it will likely be the standard in very short order this gen and you are already seeing that in quite a few launch games.

Even if it doesn't use system-level HDR, most games have max luminance calibrations. If that is the case then you are still benefitting from HGIG. The downside here is that you will still need to use set the in game calibration.

Long story short- you can just set HGIG in your TV menu and leave it there.

I can say from personal experience it was a bit of an adjustment. In the case of AC Valhalla (which doesn't use the system level HDR and has a very controversial HDR implementation) I played it with DTM for quite a while. When I finally switched to HGIG it definitely looked more muted and my initial impression wasn't positive. However sticking with the game in HGIG I really appreciated the HDR approach and wouldn't go back now.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK

That menu isn't just for HGIG- it also applies to any standard, static HDR mode. DTM is the only thing it wouldn't apply to, because instead of following the standard PQ curve, DTM sets your white/black points dynamically based on what's being displayed on screen. This renders the HDR adjustment menu in the PS5 useless.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Anyone have the Game of Thrones 4K UHD set? Season 8, The Long Night episode... Looks kinda shit on my PS5 with clear jumps in gradient. I wonder if that's just how the film is encoded/compressed.

Tried adjusting the HDR black level back up again, change back to limited RGB/Black etc. but still severe color banding in the darkest scenes.

Last edited:

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
So I have a question for you all about HGIG on my C9. Let's say I turn HGIG on and leave it on. What in game HDR adjustments should I be looking at for a brighter picture? Each game seems to handle these adjustments a little differently so it gets a little confusing. Basically what should I leave alone and what should I touch to fine tune on a per game basis? Thanks.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So I have a question for you all about HGIG on my C9. Let's say I turn HGIG on and leave it on. What in game HDR adjustments should I be looking at for a brighter picture? Each game seems to handle these adjustments a little differently so it gets a little confusing. Basically what should I leave alone and what should I touch to fine tune on a per game basis? Thanks.

Either the one labled "brightness" or "paper white" increase these until you find the image easier to see in your environment.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there are sliders, On a C9 the HDR brightness should be around 800 and Paperwhite should be 200-300 depending on preference. These numbers are for accuracy though, not necessarily brightness.

Honestly I hope 100% of games start adopting the system HDR setting on each console so we don't have to worry about changing settings on so many games.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

If it has a max luminance/nits setting then set it at approximately 800 nits.

To adjust overall brightness it really varies depending on what settings the game includes. In AC Origins and Odyssey, for example, you would adjust Paperwhite to adjust overall brightness.