• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
So this would mess up the look of games that don't support HGIG? Don't think I care enough to research that before every game I play and switch between settings.
I think I'll just adjust the settings of the three calibration settings as described and leave everything else as it is for now.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
o, What I've done is calibrated my CX as per Vincent's settings while using HGIG. I think it was 14 clicks for the first two settings in HDR and obviously the lowest setting possible for the blacks. Then I went back to the home screen and just turned dynamic tone mapping back on seeing as the HDR calibration settings won't affect in any ways, and I'll switch back to HGIG if I play games that actually support HGIG like Cold War etc. Now I know DTM isn't accurate and blah blah blah but it's visually appealing to me and I've adjusted the settings accordingly so that if there are any games that support HGIG I can just instantly switch back as the HDR calibration settings remain unchanged!

If a game uses system level calibration (which I believe quite a few do now on PS5 and XSX) or lets you set max luminance via slider then it supports HGIG. At this point HGIG is pretty much the default.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I've been doing a lot of reading on this topic across the internet and have settled in on what I find to be excellent results for my 85" Sony X900H (which does not have HGIG settings). The PS5 HDR calibration on the set was done in a pitch black room:

Step 1: It's possible to adjust this so that the sun image will baaaaaaaaaarely show up. For this reason, it wouldn't make sense to go one notch more so that it is fully invisible because of how the PS5 seems to jump forward or backwards a lot of nits with each click. The goal is to maximize the ability of the HDTV, so getting the first setting as close to invisible as possible works well.

Step 2: Vincent's adjustments in the video are done on an HGIG capable set, and he said step two should be the same as the first step. That doesn't work for my non-HGIG X900H. As I click the the values enough, I have to choose between either a faint sun image that is very dim but clearly visible, or a fully invisible sun. From what I read on the 'net, I will benefit more by choosing the invisible option since it will allow the full capability of the HDTV to be used. Yes, there is some extra nit info that can't be used, but unlike if I had made the first setting fully invisible, the jump to the next click here isn't nearly as dramatic, so there won't be any significant issues.

Step 3: Vincent kinda mentions the type of HDTVs that should have this at zero, but I read a more expanded explanation. Putting it at zero applies to OLEDs as well as LEDs that have dimming zones (which the X900H does have). In both types of displays, full black is properly acknowledged with step 3 set at zero.

As I said, the image is absolutely gorgeous once I did it this way for my X900H.

Just wondering where/what did you read about step 2 because I noticed the same thing?

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
So this would mess up the look of games that don't support HGIG? Don't think I care enough to research that before every game I play and switch between settings.
I think I'll just adjust the settings of the three calibration settings as described and leave everything else as it is for now.
The issue is Vincent never showed how this effects actual games. I like the idea to tuning this, but it had to be supported of scientific method. He has the tools to do it.

He makes an assumption that you want to choose the darkest setting on for blacks, with the assumption that the calibration controls the floor, but then didn't back it up to show that in a game, blacks are now true blacks and not close to black. His assumption could be wrong, the "barely visible" value might actually test and calibrate to your your TVs lowest visible luminance and not the black level.

Not saying i think that, but the video is incomplete without showing it.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Just wondering where/what did you read about step 2 because I noticed the same thing?
^^^ What I read is that you don't want to lose out on a significant amount of nits your display can handle by selecting a sun image in the first two steps of the calibration routine that is clearly visible. If the image is almost completely invisible (like it is for me in step one), leave it there since the amount of nits you are excluding is too small to care about.

However, as is the case for step two for me, if you can completely see the sun image before the next tweak makes it invisible, you will lose too much of your nit information by selecting the notch where the image is too visible. If you select the next invisible notch, yes it is a bit beyond what your display can handle, but not significantly so.

So with step one, my sun image is nearly-but-barely-not invisible, and with step two, my sun image is invisible by-just-a-hair. That maximizes what nit output my set can handle.

Last edited:

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Is HGIG something that the LG CX has? I don't see that setting anywhere.

When it comes to Dynamic Tone Mapping vs HGIG, which is more preferable?

Also is there a similar video/guide for adjusting HDR "correctly" on the Series X?
LG CX does have HGIG, it's found in the dynamic tonemapping menu when Game Mode is enabled. HGIG is more accurate, but many people find dynamic tonemapping more pleasing due to its (generally) added brightness. In games that support HGIG though, it's best to use that, and then dynamic tonemapping only on titles that don't support HGIG.

1DFlt1c.png

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
^^^ What I read is that you don't want to lose out on a significant amount of nits your display can handle by selecting a sun image in the first two steps of the calibration routine that is clearly visible. If the image is almost completely invisible (like it is for me in step one), leave it there since the amount of nits you are excluding is too small to care about.
However, as is the case for step two for me, if you can completely see the sun image before the next tweak makes it invisible, you will lose too much of your nit information by selecting the notch where the image is too visible. If you select the next invisible notch, yes it is a bit beyond what your display can handle, but not significantly so.

So with step one, my sun image is nearly-but-barely-not invisible, and with step two, my sun image is invisible by-just-a-hair. That maximizes what nit output my set can handle.

Ok I understand what you're saying and that makes sense. I find it weird that there is that difference between the first and second screens.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
LG CX does have HGIG, it's found in the dynamic tonemapping menu when Game Mode is enabled. HGIG is more accurate, but many people find dynamic tonemapping more pleasing due to its (generally) added brightness. In games that support HGIG though, it's best to use that, and then dynamic tonemapping only on titles that don't support HGIG.

1DFlt1c.png

You just reminded me with this screenshot that thanks to the PS+ bonus, I actually have this game to play now.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
It does not. That's why in that case, Vincent suggested in the video X900H owners just follow the on-screen directions. Or really, anyone with a TV that doesn't have HGIG.
That's not accurate. Vincent spoke about two types of displays when describing how to adjust the third step of PS5's HDR calibration process.

He said that owners of both OLEDs and LEDs with dimming zones (which the X900H does support) should dial down the setting all the way to zero because both types of displays support absolute zero black levels. He says the LEDs with dimming zones achieve this by simply turning the LEDs in a particular zone off completely.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Ok I understand what you're saying and that makes sense. I find it weird that there is that difference between the first and second screens.
In the video, Vincent mentions that step one and two were the same value for him on that display he was using. As you know, that's not the case for our X900H. So that's why I found the extra information I posted above about what to do when there is no clear answer. Like you pointed out, it makes sense to do it separately this way for them both.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
That's not accurate. Vincent spoke about two types of displays when describing how to adjust the third step of PS5's HDR calibration process.

He said that owners of both OLEDs and LEDs with dimming zones (which the X900H does support) should dial down the setting all the way to zero because both types of displays support absolute zero black levels. He says the LEDs with dimming zones achieve this by simply turning the LEDs in a particular zone off completely.

Oops, I stand corrected. I missed this dimming zone part, I only remember him saying the X900H doesn't have HGIG, so going one point past might not be such a great idea in this case. Also something about how some TVs don't like it if you set the black all the way to zero and will fluctuate as a result, so if you have one of those models, then have the black setting up by one point, just for safety.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago

1DFlt1c.png
Do we have a list of titles that support it? All I can find online is that MW and NMS support it.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

So if I'm using a basic LED 4K HDR TV with no dimming zones (Sony x800D in my case) I should not bottom out the third step, and instead follow the on screen directions?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a list of titles that support it? All I can find online is that MW and NMS support it.

Anything that uses system level calibrations (ie doesn't have it's own HDR adjustment in game) will support it now which is quite a few of the launch games on PS5. And it's generally recommended to be used as well in games with in game sliders that let you set max luminance.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
This all makes sense, but to clarify, it seems that he says that for gaming, making sure the PS5 is outputting RGB full is what should be done. The only reason he suggests automatic is if you're using the PS5 as a UHD player? So if you won't be doing any video playback on the PS5 it seems easier to just set the PS5 to Full and the TV to the corresponding black level on the input you're using (assuming your actual disc player is on another input and can have a separate black level setting, like on an LG OLED).

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Anything that uses system level calibrations (ie doesn't have it's own HDR adjustment in game) will support it now which is quite a few of the launch games on PS5. And it's generally recommended to be used as well in games with in game sliders that let you set max luminance.
Oh I think I understand. So any game that let's use adjust the nits then use hgig? So like avengers game I read you put the nits at 800 if you use hgig but if you use DTM you put it at 4000. I have an lg cx by the way.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
How certain is this guy that the calibration is telling the PS5 exactly where the limits of your display are at the "just barely visible" step, and that it's not setting those limits at the level just beyond the step you set (because it already knows your display is capable of higher brightness in the surrounding white area)?
He explains that his best guess is that the HDR system settings are probably designed for typical living spaces with some lighting. Best viewing for OLED is in a dark room where you probably want those inky blacks.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I think I understand. So any game that let's use adjust the nits then use hgig? So like avengers game I read you put the nits at 800 if you use hgig but if you use DTM you put it at 4000. I have an lg cx by the way.

Yep. If I'm understanding the process correctly, step one of the HGIG calibration process on both PS5 and Xbox is essentially the same thing you are doing in any game that lets you set max nits.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
HGIG just turns off all TV level tonemapping and depends on the source device for that tonemapping. So with HGIG off on an LG CX you might be able to set in-game nits to 4000 before you see clipping, because the TV is adjusting the curve for up to 4000 nits. With HGIG on, you might see that clipping closer to 800 nits since that's the actual peak brightness of the display. This way the curve used is exactly what the game wanted with no interference from the TV.

Games that are specifically HGIG are things like Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War and No Man's Sky that refer to the PS5's HDR calibration (what this video is about) for tonemapping.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the video, and love Vincent's stuff, but am slightly confused by this one.

The video seems to work on the assumption that the icons themselves represent the 'peak' brightness/darkness of your display. But surely the background white/black is actually the peak, and by trying to keep the icons visible you're actually setting your 'near peak' white/black values to prevent loss of detail at the extreme ends of light and dark?

I must be misunderstanding somewhere, if anyone could explain?

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Oops, I stand corrected. I missed this dimming zone part, I only remember him saying the X900H doesn't have HGIG, so going one point past might not be such a great idea in this case. Also something about how some TVs don't like it if you set the black all the way to zero and will fluctuate as a result, so if you have one of those models, then have the black setting up by one point, just for safety.
For that part, he said the opposite. His point was that if your display supports LED dimming zones (like the X900H), then selecting a notch or two above absolute zero for step 3 of the PS5's HDR calibration process may result in unwanted black flickering. He emphasizes several times to turn that setting all the way down for OLEDs and LEDs with dimming zones.

So if I'm using a basic LED 4K HDR TV with no dimming zones (Sony x800D in my case) I should not bottom out the third step, and instead follow the on screen directions?
According to Vincent in the video, that is correct.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the video, and love Vincent's stuff, but am slightly confused by this one.

The video seems to work on the assumption that the icons themselves represent the 'peak' brightness/darkness of your display. But surely the background white/black is actually the peak, and by trying to keep the icons visible you're actually setting your 'near peak' white/black values to prevent loss of detail at the extreme ends of light and dark?

I must be misunderstanding somewhere, if anyone could explain?

Yes, that's the general idea. The problem with the PS5 is that the gradients between levels are way to big. Each increment is ~100 nits. So by setting it one click down (~850+ nits) you are potentially missing out on another 100 nits of brightness in a 1,000 nit display. Because of that Vincent is recommending going one level up even though it may result in potential clipping. If the gradients were smaller then he would probably change his recommendation.

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
sooooo if I want dynamic tone mapping, cause it looks better to me. Should I use Limited or Full RGB? and Low or High Black level?

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
For that part, he said the opposite. His point was that if your display supports LED dimming zones (like the X900H), then selecting a notch or two above absolute zero for step 3 of the PS5's HDR calibration process may result in unwanted black flickering. He emphasizes several times to turn that setting all the way down for OLEDs and LEDs with dimming zones.

Wow, I totally misunderstood that part. Thanks for the course correct.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
So has anyone tried this and gotten immediately noticeable results?

Gonna check it out on my ks8000 tonight.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
HDR does seem better after following the video although it could be placebo cos I hadn't used my PS5 in a couple of days.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
This all makes sense, but to clarify, it seems that he says that for gaming, making sure the PS5 is outputting RGB full is what should be done. The only reason he suggests automatic is if you're using the PS5 as a UHD player? So if you won't be doing any video playback on the PS5 it seems easier to just set the PS5 to Full and the TV to the corresponding black level on the input you're using (assuming your actual disc player is on another input and can have a separate black level setting, like on an LG OLED).
Actually makes you wonder what the point of auto is at all right now, unless I'm missing something. It doesn't seem like there is any scenario where auto will switch to limited while in HDR. He mentions in the video that when you use the Blu Ray player app it switches to SDR, thus sending a YCbCr signal and inherently being limited regardless of the system level RGB setting.

So I'm not seeing a scenario where automatic is beneficial in switching to limited in HDR.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I understand that, what I want to know is which is going to give the best results.

Limited and Low Black Level
Full and High Black level
Auto RGB and Auto Black level.
It shouldn't make any difference unless there's a quirk somewhere in your setup. If you're on an lg leave them on auto. Otherwise just make sure they match.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
I understand that, what I want to know is which is going to give the best results.

Limited and Low Black Level

^ are the best settings for gaming on a HDR television

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Miles Morales is still quite dark with these settings.

Guess that's just the way the game is meant to look.

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
I followed the instructions, except using HGIG. Have an LG CX here and these settings made Demons Souls look a bit better. I tested the area right before flamelurker to test out the black level and it looks good. Areas like the valley still have a tint to them, but it looks like you can get rid of it by saving a preset in photo mode with the shadow color balance sliders set to 0, as opposed to one. I suggest others to try this out and see how it looks.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Can't decide if these settings and HGIG are better than DTM. Highlights seem like they pop less?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Have an LG C9, turned on HGIG and followed these steps. The image is definitely a bit dimmer, but i'm not sure if it's any "better". Definitely looks good, i just need to get used to the slightly dimmer picture

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
My CX is definitely not "hand shaking" properly with my ps5 when I set them both to auto. Playing Demon's Souls I set it to low for both the console and the tv. Should I set them to high? Everyone seems to suggest low. It looks fine this way to me.

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
This is my concern. That's why I've stayed with the calibration in the LC OLED calibration thread. I don't want games that don't support HGIG to look off.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I have a B6, what color space is the right one? I keep my TV ok low and I dont see difference between automatic, limited or full on the console itself.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I followed the instructions, except using HGIG. Have an LG CX here and these settings made Demons Souls look a bit better. I tested the area right before flamelurker to test out the black level and it looks good. Areas like the valley still have a tint to them, but it looks like you can get rid of it by saving a preset in photo mode with the shadow color balance sliders set to 0, as opposed to one. I suggest others to try this out and see how it looks.

Why leave out HGIG? All you're doing is adding an extra tone mapping step to the chain.