• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
Sigh. All this stuff gives me anxiety. So many settings. I was gonna upgrade my C8 within the next year but maybe I'll just hang on to it since they just keep adding more and more settings to adjust. Why can't things be like the simple CRT days lol.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Does this apply to the series x as well? Change icons to pc, enable auto black level in c9 menu ad well as hgig? Set and forget?

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
You have to set it at auto on both the PS5 and the TV, Vincent was very clear about this.
I guess I didn't fully listen to that part, but regardless I would think that is irrelevant here, no? Auto on the TV should automatically detect what the console is outputting and adjust accordingly. If I set PS5 to limited I would expect the TV in auto to switch to low. Why would it not react this way?

If I leave PS5 on auto and it switches to RGB limited when I'm watching Netflix, and the TV in auto black level switches to low that's great, and I'm hoping that's what it does. It just makes no sense to me that in my test of manually setting RGB to limited that the TV in auto black level mode wouldn't follow suit and change to low accordingly.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Would this affect me as someone who has a "bad" HDR tv. The TCL 43S505? Or should I just follow the instructions and be done?

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I guess I didn't fully listen to that part, but regardless I would think that is irrelevant here, no?
It was another video, I think this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kObwjX75WUo

Depending on the situation (HDR/SDR content) the combination of PS5 limited + Auto TV will give you poorer results (I think for HDR content in this case). In the video he explains it (if I linked the right video).

Oct 29, 2017
I have a C9 and enabling hgig and following the hdr ps5 settings still looks a bit too dark for my tastes. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Would this affect me as someone who has a "bad" HDR tv. The TCL 43S505? Or should I just follow the instructions and be done?
In this case, especially in the low end, you'll have multiple notches where you'll have a hard time determining if you're seeing the sun or not. For an OLED the sun only disappears on the bottom step, but the gap between both steps is large and the PS5 sets the minimum value to the step you select making it so that the step where it disappeared is the right one (as you're supposed to do in the HGIG documentation), not the step before it disappeared. For a budget TV it won't matter much.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I have a C9 and enabling hgig and following the hdr ps5 settings still looks a bit too dark for my tastes. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong
How dark is your viewing environment? If you're in a brighter room, you'll need to calibrate accordingly. These settings are for someone in optimal viewing conditions (e.g. very dark room).

Nov 11, 2020
I changed my HDR settings on PS5, but can't immediately tell if games look better on my CX. I think it looks better? Placebo? lmao

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I changed my HDR settings on PS5, but can't immediately tell if games look better on my CX. I think it looks better? Placebo? lmao
It's not going to be revelatory per se unless your settings were way off but you'll get more details in super bright areas like clouds with the sun behind/near them and you may have fixed the black floor so that you'll get more correct shadow detail.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
is there a TLDR how to we know what's the best adjustments for our personal TV sets?
I have gathered that you should follow the on screen instructions, and if you know your tv is an HDR beast like the LG OLED for example, set the settings a bit exaggerated. Meaning, if it says make it the image barely seen, you make it a bit lighter, if it says make it darker until it is not seen, you go a few steps darker than the threshold. When setting it.

Apparently when following the instructions exactly on screen, the barely visible element yields wrong or lesser HDR. Just have to set it a few steps above, for each thing. I

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I have gathered that you should follow the on screen instructions, and if you know your tv is an HDR beast like the LG OLED for example, set the settings a bit exaggerated. Meaning, if it says make it the image barely seen, you make it a bit lighter, if it says make it darker until it is not seen, you go a few steps darker than the threshold. When setting it.
This doesn't have to do with OLED, you need to specifically have a TV that supports HGIG and have it enabled. There are many OLED TVs and high end HDR TVs that do not support HGIG. I know it sounds pedantic but the whole point of Vincent's videos is they're very detailed explanations and these little differences matter if you're trying to get an accurate picture. If you've been happy with your picture til now, don't mess with anything. But also don't go in and just change settings, make a cup of coffee, sit down and actually watch the video if you want to know what he's talking about.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Not feeling well today, but I adjusted the HDR settings in the PS5 HDR adjustment tool per what Vincent shows. On the video settings screen on the PS5 is everything suppose to be set to Automatic?

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
This doesn't have to do with OLED, you need to specifically have a TV that supports HGIG and have it enabled. There are many OLED TVs and high end HDR TVs that do not support HGIG. I know it sounds pedantic but the whole point of Vincent's videos is they're very detailed explanations and these little differences matter if you're trying to get an accurate picture. If you've been happy with your picture til now, don't mess with anything. But also don't go in and just change settings, make a cup of coffee, sit down and actually watch the video if you want to know what he's talking about.
I said HDR beast, like an LG OLED that may for sure have the good HDR.

I did not suggest that this is an OLED tv thing. I was talking about good HDR tvs, generally,

My point in my comment was to let the other user know that the video is saying that the HDR options have to be set a few steps higher, depending on the tv.

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
What's crazier to me is his Miles video shows the PS5 (or the game itself) seems to have a bug/issue when YUV is being used to render the HDR image. The luminance is being reduced.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
The last 3 times I played something on the ps5, my TV crashed and rebooted out of nowhere. Can I exchange this for suboptimal hdr tuning please? XD

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I said HDR beast, like an LG OLED that may for sure have the good HDR.

I did not suggest that this is an OLED tv thing. I was talking about good HDR tvs, generally,

My point in my comment was to let the other user know that the video is saying that the HDR options have to be set a few steps higher, depending on the tv.
There are a ton of HDR beasts that do not have HGIG support, such as the top end Sony OLED's, the new Vizio OLED, Panasonic for the EU, etc. In your post you didn't mention HGIG at all, which is what this video is detailing, so that's why I clarified for other tl;dr readers.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
It was another video, I think this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kObwjX75WUo

Depending on the situation (HDR/SDR content) the combination of PS5 limited + Auto TV will give you poorer results (I think for HDR content in this case). In the video he explains it (if I linked the right video).
Whoops, I saw this exact video and forgot that he mentioned all the apps also utilize full RGB with auto, except for the Blu Ray app which switches to SDR and sends YCbCr which is inherently limited. And he even shows in this video that while using this Blu Ray app switching the TV black level from auto to high makes a change, thus meaning auto is correctly using low in this instance. So I guess auto does its job. I will pop in a Blu Ray later to ensure it works on my C9 later though I'm confident now it will.

Thanks!

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Whoops, I saw this exact video and forgot that he mentioned all the apps also utilize full RGB with auto, except for the Blu Ray app which switches to SDR and sends YCbCr which is inherently limited. And he even shows in this video that while using this Blu Ray app switching the TV black level from auto to high makes a change, thus meaning auto is correctly using low in this instance. So I guess auto does its job. I will pop in a Blu Ray later to ensure it works on my C9 later though I'm confident now it will.

Thanks!
No problem, doing my best to help with the currently confusing issues without adding to the confusion.

Cerberus9200

Nov 30, 2020
So, What I've done is calibrated my CX as per Vincent's settings while using HGIG. I think it was 14 clicks for the first two settings in HDR and obviously the lowest setting possible for the blacks. Then I went back to the home screen and just turned dynamic tone mapping back on seeing as the HDR calibration settings won't affect in any ways, and I'll switch back to HGIG if I play games that actually support HGIG like Cold War etc. Now I know DTM isn't accurate and blah blah blah but it's visually appealing to me and I've adjusted the settings accordingly so that if there are any games that support HGIG I can just instantly switch back as the HDR calibration settings remain unchanged!

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Great video. The only thing I'm not sure about is the black level of my TV. I use a C9, which only has low and high for black level; I do not use the PS5 for anything but gaming--no streaming apps, 4K discs, etc--should I set RGB on my PS5 to Full, black level High? Or, stick with low/limited, even if it is for game use only?

alligatoah92

Oct 30, 2017
Great video. The only thing I'm not sure about is the black level of my TV. I use a C9, which only has low and high for black level; I do not use the PS5 for anything but gaming--no streaming apps, 4K discs, etc--should I set RGB on my PS5 to Full, black level High? Or, stick with low/limited, even if it is for game use only?
Set both to auto.
You must change the input of your c9 to PC then you can er the black level to auto

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Set RGB to auto, and it will utilize full. Set the TV black level to high to match. Or do the thing where you edit the HDMI type to PC and you'll open the option for having "auto" as a black level option, but I don't think it's necessary. It will also require you to reconfigure your HDR settings, so you might not want to do it.

Bottom line is PS5 auto with TV black level high should be fine. If you do watch a Blu Ray the Blu Ray app will switch to SDR, and when the TV switches to SDR settings you'll want the black level set to low (or auto). No need to worry about that if you indeed don't watch any Blu Ray though.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I would still leave it on Auto on the PS5 and just match the black level to the content you're using. It's pretty easy to tell if there's crushed blacks because something was set to run at Limited instead of Full (movies, maybe the odd game). And in those cases just pop into the settings menu and switch the black level temporarily.

Only reason I recommend it this way is I was forcing all to Limited before, but Vincent mentioned there being a bit of RGB conversion inaccuracy going on making it slightly less accurate than having the PS5 switch automatically. So if you force Limited but mostly play games, the system is still rendering the game at Full RGB and then converting it. And vice versa, if you force Full in the system, and use an app or watch a movie that renders Limited, it's converting there too.

tl;dr, if you value convenience: force Full or Limited and use proper HDMI black level on TV
if you value accuracy, leave it auto and switch HDMI black level on TV when necessary

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Maaaan I've been setting RGB to auto since the PS4 and it has never been an issue. Auto is best, always has been (unless your TV does some fuckery where it doesn't recognize the setting)

As for HGIG.... I still use DTM ON (Off/HGIG are way to dim for my liking).

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

Apparently when following the instructions exactly on screen, the barely visible element yields wrong or lesser HDR. Just have to set it a few steps above, for each thing. I
I might be ok...I'll redo it and see if it makes any difference. But my TV is from 2018, so probably not the best HDR on the market but solid enough. Upgrading to OLED next year.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
For non-HGIG displays, which is 90%+ of TVs in homes right now, I think best practices are to follow the on-screen instructions for black point, but follow Vincent's advice for the two white point screens, so go one step above "barely visible."
That worked for me

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
On a lg B8 and on ps4 pro here.

changed the calibration on my tv a few days ago and now with this tweak on the hdr which I hd always set to just before complete invisibility.

I am not sure if I am just playing in a dark environment right now but everything looks really good to me right now.

Colors seems to pop more and image quality for me seems improved.

Did several races in different lighting conditions in GTSport and I felt like everything is so much more clearer to me image quality wise. It looked entirely different and much more alive as opposed to feeling kinda sterile before.

I did calibrate GT Sport to the same concept as the video too.

other games I tried were wipeout and horizon zero dawn and thps. Everything felt like a new experience in terms of visuals. Cant wait for my PS5 to arrive sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Placebo or not, this is making it hard to go to sleep as I still have work in the morning and its already 4:30am.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is HGIG something that the LG CX has? I don't see that setting anywhere.

When it comes to Dynamic Tone Mapping vs HGIG, which is more preferable?

Also is there a similar video/guide for adjusting HDR "correctly" on the Series X?