• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This is why I'm waiting till 2021 for a new TV, manufacturers will now have time to test these new consoles on their TV's

I was very tempted to get a CX but this confusion is ridiculous

This confusion will continue with any new TV, this is about TVs having their own specs for HDR, nothing you can do.

The issue of this video is more on Sony's part btw, where PS5 adjuster levels increase too much in a simple button press.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I tried it but its too dark on my C9.

Before I had Tone mapping off. When you have it off and you are calibrating, it takes a lot more ticks to get the image to clip, like 24 vs 14. I think i might just go back the way I had it.

Is it too dark because of the final black screen test or a combination of the three? I can leave HGIG on and follow Vincents advice but on the last screen maybe just raise it? I don't want to elevate my black levels at the expense of a bright overall picture. I felt I did have inky blacks before though when the image asked for it.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
The issue of this video is more on Sony's part btw, where PS5 adjuster levels increase too much in a simple button press.
It's a PS5 issue for sure. He shows it well in the video, you're telling the PS5 that you can tell the difference between the lowest possible step (0 black) and the next step (10,10,10). It then sets the minimum to (10,10,10) instead of zero. Same on the bright side.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
I just have to remind myself that these settings are for theater like environments.

Like no light pollution in the room you have your screen set up in.

That's why it may seem "too dark" for most people.

Good info overall.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As useful as Vincent's videos are, I always find them a bit off-putting.

One because he tends to ramble on and sometimes his points get lost amongst the waffle.

Two because he tends to have some really sus jokes. Multiple jokes about women in this video alone and I have seen it in other ones too. Makes him come across as the techy incel types you find. He also made a Brexit joke before that made it seem like he was pro Brexit which put me off.

AllBusinessJr

Oct 27, 2017
As useful as Vincent's videos are, I always find them a bit off-putting.

One because he tends to ramble on and sometimes his points get lost amongst the waffle.

Two because he tends to have some really sus jokes. Multiple jokes about women in this video alone and I have seen it in other ones too. Makes him come across as the techy incel types you find. He also made a Brexit joke before that made it seem like he was pro Brexit which put me off.

spot on. The analysis is good, but like many other YouTube tutorial videos, the content is about 2 minutes of a ~20 minute video.

As for the jokes, don't quit your day job, Vinnie.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I tried it but its too dark on my C9.

Before I had Tone mapping off. When you have it off and you are calibrating, it takes a lot more ticks to get the image to clip, like 24 vs 14. I think i might just go back the way I had it.

Is it too dark because of the final black screen test or a combination of the three? I can leave HGIG on and follow Vincents advice but on the last screen maybe just raise it? I don't want to elevate my black levels at the expense of a bright overall picture. I felt I did have inky blacks before though when the image asked for it.

I don't think there should be much difference between HGIG and tone mapping off.

EvilBoris ?

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
This is misleading. HGIG is not supported by most games. If a game doesn't support it, dynamic tone mapping is basically off which defeats the purpose of HDR.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Fantastic video. I hope Sony lets use choose the actual values at some point.
It baffles me why they don't give nits values with these test patterns. They should also be doing this for in-game HDR calibration screens.

There are several great review sites out there now including rtings where people can find out what the peak luminance of their specific model TV is. Having nits values would be really useful. The one issue is that some TV's tone map up to values exceeding their peak luminance, which is strange. My Sony X950g definitely does this. It doesn't start to clip until about 1800 nits, but the peak luminance of the display is 1200 nits, so its tone mapping it to fit within the panel's dynamic range.

Also for screen 3/3, his advice to set it to lowest value always is ONLY true for OLEDs. For LED displays with local dimming, you're going to clip black detail doing it this way. On my Sony x950g the correct value is right at the default (so no adjustment needed).

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is misleading. HGIG is not supported by most games. If a game doesn't support it, dynamic tone mapping is basically off which defeats the purpose of HDR.
No, HGIG just leaves it up to the external device to tone map. It'll work with any game that officially uses it via the OS HDR setting on either PS5 or XSX, or any game that supports a peak brightness HDR slider in-game.

That means a ton of games support it. I leave HGIG on 100% of the time.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Y'all I'm getting to a point where imma just say fuck it and make it look good in my eyes. I feel like I hear about a different HDR setting or TV calibration every day and it's exhausting for my OCD lol. I wish there was an actual standard instead of a million different variations

This was me when I played Death Stranding on PC. The arbitrary luminance slider broke something in me and from that point on I just say fuck it and crank everything up until games look pleasing to my eyes.

No point worrying about what's correct when developers can't even be bothered and Microsoft breaks HDR with every other update.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does "tone mapping off" mean so?

Edit:I use HGIG, I'm just wondering

Outside of HGIG in gaming mode, I don't think there's a setting to turn tone mapping completely off on an LG display. You can turn Dynamic Tone Mapping off but that's a whole different thing.

Tone mapping is mapping down the brightness of a signal to match the capabilities of your display. So for example if your display has a maximum nit output of 800nits, and it receives a signal of 10,000 nits, your display will tone map that signal down to the 800nits it can output in as accurate of a way that it can.

This is why, if you have HGIG disabled, you'll have to move many more ticks over in the HDR calibration setup on PS5. Your display is tone mapping those higher nit levels down to whatever its maximum nit output is.

WIth HGIG, tone mapping is disabled on the TV and left up to the external device (PS5 or XSX), so if your display has a maximum light output of 800nits, whites will start to clip at the 800nit level in the HDR calibration screen because your display won't be tone mapping higher nit levels.

Hope that makes sense. I'm not an expert or anything so I probably got some of the details wrong.

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all I'm getting to a point where imma just say fuck it and make it look good in my eyes. I feel like I hear about a different HDR setting or TV calibration every day and it's exhausting for my OCD lol. I wish there was an actual standard instead of a million different variations
The whole point of HGIG/OS-level HDR is to create a standard though. Set it once and all games fall in line from there. It's early times though, of course.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
No, HGIG just leaves it up to the external device to tone map. It'll work with any game that officially uses it via the OS HDR setting on either PS5 or XSX, or any game that supports a peak brightness HDR slider in-game.

That means a ton of games support it. I leave HGIG on 100% of the time.
At no point during any games that I've tested (that dont support it) did it look better than dynamic tone mapping. It dims everything down and there is no difference with HGIG or dynamic tone mapping set to off which means it's not working as it should. Maybe you hate brightness but amazing contrast and popping brightness is why I bought an OLED HDR tv.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At no point during any games that I've tested (that dont support it) did it look better than dynamic tone mapping. It dims everything down and there is no difference with HGIG or dynamic tone mapping set to off which means it's not working as it should. Maybe you hate brightness but amazing contrast and popping brightness is why I bought an OLED HDR tv.
I don't hate brightness, but I enjoy an accurate picture. With Dynamic Tone Mapping you're often blowing out highlights and losing fine detail. That's fine if that's your preference, but it doesn't mean I "hate brightness" lol.

And turning off Dynamic Tone Mapping arguably creates MORE of a pop, not less. The difference being, is that with Dynamic Tone Mapping ON it's always "pop", all the time, because everything's exaggerated to create that artificial pop. With Dynamic Tone Mapping off, you often get a dimmer overall picture but the parts of the picture that are supposed to pop REALLY pop because of that contrast between dim and bright. That's kind of the whole point of HDR. High Dynamic Range.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
There is a difference. For one on the calibration screen, it requires a lot more ticks with TM off to clip the whites. I remember also testing HGIG on and Off with RDR2 when staring at the sun and there was a subtle but noticeable change in the suns light output. It didn't change the scene like DTM On does but there are subtilties to the clipping points.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
There is a difference. For one on the calibration screen, it requires a lot more ticks with TM off to clip the whites. I remember also testing HGIG on and Off with RDR2 when staring at the sun and there was a subtle but noticeable change in the suns light output. It didn't change the scene like DTM On does but there are subtilties to the clipping points.
He's talking about games that don't support it, so I guess calibration wouldn't apply to them?

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
Of course, why wouldn't it? It's always activated and therefore I did the calibration right. 🤷‍♂️

Well, one reason not to have it enabled is that not all games follow HGIG guidelines (in fact very few do, not sure if that will change this generation), so having HGIG enabled in those games means you will be not applying your TV's Dynamic Tone Mapping in a game that is outputting qcodes way above (or below) what your TV can display without clipping, but the other way around should be mostly fine?

Not to mention that even in games using HGIG you still have to rely on the game having a very good HDR tone mapping implementation, which is a hard problem when your screen has very different max full frame HDR brightness and 10% frame HDR brightness... (for example, my LG CX has a ~140nits full frame peak brightness and 813nits 10% frame peak brightness. That's almost 700 nits of difference. If the game tonemapper messes up it might be clipping all to a very limited range but what could still contain higher luminosity parts, reducing the brightness even more in the rest of the scene -and also introducing banding as well-).

There is a reason people complain about dark/dim scenes when using HGIG, and I don't think it is all "people are just not playing in dark rooms or are used to scenes with too much brightness". Dynamic Tone Mapping adds input lag and messes up with original creator intent in unpredictable ways, but it might be the only option to get consistent, pleasant image quality for a long time.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Outside of HGIG in gaming mode, I don't think there's a setting to turn tone mapping completely off on an LG display. You can turn Dynamic Tone Mapping off but that's a whole different thing.

Tone mapping is mapping down the brightness of a signal to match the capabilities of your display. So for example if your display has a maximum nit output of 800nits, and it receives a signal of 10,000 nits, your display will tone map that signal down to the 800nits it can output in as accurate of a way that it can.

This is why, if you have HGIG disabled, you'll have to move many more ticks over in the HDR calibration setup on PS5. Your display is tone mapping those higher nit levels down to whatever its maximum nit output is.

WIth HGIG, tone mapping is disabled on the TV and left up to the external device (PS5 or XSX), so if your display has a maximum light output of 800nits, whites will start to clip at the 800nit level in the HDR calibration screen because your display won't be tone mapping higher nit levels.

Hope that makes sense. I'm not an expert or anything so I probably got some of the details wrong.

Thanks, understand my mistake now. Was equating DTM off to no tone mapping at all

The difference there is with DTM off you're doing the tone mapping twice. Once on the TV and again on the PS. Can lead to a less accurate picture (or maybe there's little difference, but Vincent explains why it's desirable in the video)

I don't think many people buy OLEDs for popping brightness. The amazing contrast lends itself well to a very accurate image but people can use them any way they want.

If you want to test how dynamic tone mapping is messing up your picture check https://twitter.com/EvilBoris/status/1273979560862846977?s=19

Cerberus9200

Nov 30, 2020
If I calibrate my ps5 using the settings Vincent provided and then use dynamic tone mapping , will it completely ignore the ps5 calibration settings?

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, one reason not to have it enabled is that not all games follow HGIG guidelines (in fact very few do, not sure if that will change this generation), so having HGIG enabled in those games means you will be not applying your TV's Dynamic Tone Mapping in a game that is outputting qcodes way above (or below) what your TV can display without clipping, but the other way around should be mostly fine?

Not to mention that even in games using HGIG you still have to rely on the game having a very good HDR tone mapping implementation, which is a hard problem when your screen has very different max full frame HDR brightness and 10% frame HDR brightness... (for example, my LG CX has a ~140nits full frame peak brightness and 813nits 10% frame peak brightness. That's almost 700 nits of difference. If the game tonemapper messes up it might be clipping all to a very limited range but what could still contain higher luminosity parts, reducing the brightness even more in the rest of the scene -and also introducing banding as well-).

There is a reason people complain about dark/dim scenes when using HGIG, and I don't think it is all "people are just not playing in dark rooms or are used to scenes with too much brightness". Dynamic Tone Mapping adds input lag and messes up with original creator intent in unpredictable ways, but it might be the only option to get consistent, pleasant image quality for a long time.
As long as a game has an HDR brightness slider it will work with HGIG as intended. The vast majority of games work well with HGIG.

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
Damn it, I spend about an hour messing with the settings yesterday and now I see this video.

Why does all have to be so confusing? Is there any comparisons available for HGIG and Tone mapping?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If I calibrate my ps5 using the settings Vincent provided and then use dynamic tone mapping , will it completely ignore the ps5 calibration settings?

Yep.

If you plan to play with DTM On no need to follow this video.

The difference there is with DTM off you're doing the tone mapping twice. Once on the TV and again on the PS. Can lead to a less accurate picture (or maybe there's little difference, but Vincent explains why it's desirable in the video)

I don't think many people buy OLEDs for popping brightness. The amazing contrast lends itself well to a very accurate image but people can use them any way they want.

If you want to test how dynamic tone mapping is messing up your picture check https://twitter.com/EvilBoris/status/1273979560862846977?s=19

Need to say the difference between DTM OFF and HGIG is small , and even thought DTM OFF tonemaps, it's only on the brighest detail and can even be beneficial with games that don't follow the PS5 settings and has neither HDR calibration in-game (like FF7 Remake, for putting an example). In this case DTM OFF can show more detail in hightlights without clipping. But yes, with calibration tools HGIG is better due to DTM OFF doing useless work.

It's DTM ON the one that goes to town basically modifying the whole image.

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Well, one reason not to have it enabled is that not all games follow HGIG guidelines (in fact very few do, not sure if that will change this generation), so having HGIG enabled in those games means you will be not applying your TV's Dynamic Tone Mapping in a game

Which you shouldn't activate in general and everyone who's deep into HDR calibration would tell you that. 🤷‍♂️

C9F7loo.jpg

I played hundreds of HDR games in the last 4 months and I almost never had the problem of too dim games. The standard HDR setting of games, sure, but then you calibrate them and it looks great in 95% of all cases. I have way bigger problems with games having raised blacks than games being dim or not popping enough.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
What TV settings so I need to mess about with on the C9?

I have it set, currently, to the same settings as used for my brother's Series X.

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
Which you shouldn't activate in general and everyone who's deep into HDR calibration would tell you that. 🤷‍♂️

C9F7loo.jpg

I played hundreds of HDR games in the last 4 months and I almost never had the problem of too dim games. The standard HDR setting of games, sure, but then you calibrate them and it looks great in 95% of all cases. I have way bigger problems with games having raised blacks than games being dim or not popping enough.

Thanks for that, I'll just leave HGIG on for everything then

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
With my B9 - Should I be playing my PS5 in PC mode with my black level set to auto?

Currently playing in Game mode with black level set to Low..

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
I miss the days when all I had to do was to turn on my TV. I feel like I need a PhD in TV settings to calibrate my Oled.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Am I supposed to put black levels on auto? Low looks so much better, whenever I change to auto my blacks look hazy white
It's most important to just make it match your TV. With HDMI 2.1 we can get full RGB with 4K so it's likely auto on the PS5 is giving you full. In which case TV black level should be set to high. If you're saying low black level on the TV looks more accurate then it's because your PS5 is giving you limited RGB, which is fine. Just make the console and TV match. Auto on both would usually do a good job with the TV matching the console output, but in the end make sure it's limited/low or full/high.

By "one step above" do you mean in the direction of being more visible or more invisible?
More invisible, but I wouldn't follow the post you quoted. For non-HGiG follow the PS5 instructions. Going one past barely visible is to make sure you get closer to the full luminance scale with HGiG enabled sets. For non-HGiG you're supposedly best off setting the slider to as barely visible as possible.

I basically had these settings on my LG C9. Except that I had RBG to limited instead of auto. IDK what that really does?
If you have the C9 (I have that as well) you may as well go auto RGB as long as you have a cable capable of handling HDMI 2.1 bandwidth, which I'm guessing the included cable is (I'm using one I bought separately). As a test, set your RGB to auto, then change it to full. Most likely nothing changes because auto is giving you full. Changing it to limited from there would flicker and change it to limited. Go auto on the console and see if this is the case, then set black level on your TV to high to match. You can also stick with limited RGB and low black level on the TV as it'll be fine as long as they match, but you shouldn't have any reason to not want the full RGB range which our TV is capable of with the HDMI 2.1 ports. So again auto on the PS5, change to full temporarily to ensure its giving you full (then put it back to auto), and black level high on the TV to match.

The only time the TV would need to use low black level it seems would be when using the Blu Ray app, but the app switches to SDR apparently. So if you watch a Blu Ray you might want to check your black level within the settings, which should be switched to the SDR settings, and make sure it's set to low if auto is not an option.

Basically for what I could gather reading all Vincent comments and such.

OLED TVs without HGIG:

Steps 1 and 2, follow the PS5 adjuster. Step 3, all the way to black if you play in dark room, or adjusted if you're in a lit room.

OLED TVs with HGIG:

Step 1 and 2, a tick above barely visible (first tick being invisible). Step 3, all the way to black if you play in dark room, or adjusted if you're in a lit room.

LED TVs with HGIG:

Steps 1 and 2, a tick above barely visible (first tick being invisible). Step 3, follow PS5 adjuster.

LED TVs without HGIG:

follow the PS5 adjuster totally.
Unless anybody believes any of this is wrong I think this should be included in the OP for those who don't have time to read through the thread and take in every bit of information from the video.

Last edited:

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Is it normal that hgig makes the image pop lesss compared to DTM ? It looks darker.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Basically for what I could gather reading all Vincent comments and such.

OLED TVs without HGIG:

Steps 1 and 2, follow the PS5 adjuster. Step 3, all the way to black if you play in dark room, or adjusted if you're in a lit room.

OLED TVs with HGIG:

Step 1 and 2, a tick above barely visible (first tick being invisible). Step 3, all the way to black if you play in dark room, or adjusted if you're in a lit room.

LED TVs with HGIG:

Steps 1 and 2, a tick above barely visible (first tick being invisible). Step 3, follow PS5 adjuster.

LED TVs without HGIG:

follow the PS5 adjuster totally.

I think step 3 across the board should be set to 0 nits (aka darkest setting) as he mentions LEDs (as well as in addition to OLEDs) will react to 0 nits and turn off backlight at this value (although blooming is a thing if you have something else generating light on the screen). This is true black so is the most accurate. And he also surmises that it lets you adjust above 0 nits in case you need some brighter looking dark areas if you're playing HDR in a non-reference environment (aka a non-pitch black room or a room that exceeds 5 nits ambient lighting). So you could do that if you're especially bothered that, dark areas look too dark, but for accuracy or "true black" it should be set to the darkest.

Also for the PS5's "barely visible" this should be one notch below a full hard clip of the whites.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
So, I mean, is that barely visible setting just for HDR or for everything? 'Cus I might have been doing that wrong for forever...

Tomcoleman545

Jan 3, 2020
It's most important to just make it match your TV. With HDMI 2.1 we can get full RGB with 4K so it's likely auto on the PS5 is giving you full. In which case TV black level should be set to high. If you're saying low black level on the TV looks more accurate then it's because your PS5 is giving you limited RGB, which is fine. Just make the console and TV match. Auto on both would usually do a good job with the TV matching the console output, but in the end make sure it's limited/low or full/high.

More invisible, but I wouldn't follow the post you quoted. For non-HGiG follow the PS5 instructions. Going one past barely visible is to make sure you get closer to the full luminance scale with HGiG enabled sets. For non-HGiG you're supposedly best off setting the slider to as barely visible as possible.

If you have the C9 (I have that as well) you may as well go auto RGB as long as you have a cable capable of handling HDMI 2.1 bandwidth, which I'm guessing the included cable is (I'm using one I bought separately). As a test, set your RGB to auto, then change it to full. Most likely nothing changes because auto is giving you full. Changing it to limited from there would flicker and change it to limited. Go auto on the console and see if this is the case, then set black level on your TV to high to match. You can also stick with limited RGB and low black level on the TV as it'll be fine as long as they match, but you shouldn't have any reason to not want the full RGB range which our TV is capable of with the HDMI 2.1 ports. So again auto on the PS5, change to full temporarily to ensure its giving you full (then put it back to auto), and black level high on the TV to match.

I believe however that if we watch Blu Rays or use any of the streaming apps the auto RGB setting switches to limited, and we would have to change our TV black level to low. That's the only annoying thing here using auto RGB. The CX has an auto setting for black level that will match the output of the console dynamically, I really wish we had this. With that being said if you plan on watching a lot of streaming apps or Blu Rays it may be simpler to just keep RGB limited and black level on the TV low, if you don't want to have to switch the TV black level when the console changes RGB. But if you're mostly just gaming this shouldn't be an issue.

Unless anybody believes any of this is wrong I think this should be included in the OP for those who don't have time to read through the thread and take in every bit of information from the video.
C9 has auto black level in PC mode it's what I'm using.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

I believe however that if we watch Blu Rays or use any of the streaming apps the auto RGB setting switches to limited, and we would have to change our TV black level to low. That's the only annoying thing here using auto RGB. The CX has an auto setting for black level that will match the output of the console dynamically, I really wish we had this. With that being said if you plan on watching a lot of streaming apps or Blu Rays it may be simpler to just keep RGB limited and black level on the TV low, if you don't want to have to switch the TV black level when the console changes RGB. But if you're mostly just gaming this shouldn't be an issue.

If you change the label on the PS5 HDMI to PC you can select auto for black level on C9. Can confirm it works as intended.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
C9 has auto black level in PC mode it's what I'm using.
If you change the label on the PS5 HDMI to PC you can select auto for black level on C9. Can confirm it works as intended.
<3 you guys.

I saw advice in one of Vincent's videos to change the icon to PC and never understood it (I believe it was one of his). Wow that helps a lot. Thanks. Was seriously wondering how the heck there was no auto setting.

Edit: Hmm. Got it all set up, but if I set PS5 to limited, auto on the TV stays on high black level. Will have to test this later when using a streaming app or Blu Ray.

Last edited:

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
So, I mean, is that barely visible setting just for HDR or for everything? 'Cus I might have been doing that wrong for forever...

As far as the PS5 is discussed, or what's discussed in the video, this is all for the "Adjust HDR" setting so we're only talking about HDR here. The barely visible settings in SDR might be a different conversation, then again I think those SDR games that have you do this only let you adjust one screen, instead of three screens due to the differences between SDR and HDR. I think the same logic might apply to SDR though, ie. One notch below a full hard clip of the symbol if possible. Though otherwise if you can't do that and your TV settings are fairly accurate you might wanna just leave at default IMO.

MCWyatt

Aug 7, 2018
spot on. The analysis is good, but like many other YouTube tutorial videos, the content is about 2 minutes of a ~20 minute video.

As for the jokes, don't quit your day job, Vinnie.
It kills me that they don't just put the settings in the description of the video. Having to pause and rewind multiple times in a 20 min video to find out specific tv or console settings is such a time waster.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I've been doing a lot of reading on this topic across the internet and have settled in on what I find to be excellent results for my 85" Sony X900H (which does not have HGIG settings). The PS5 HDR calibration on the set was done in a pitch black room:

Step 1: It's possible to adjust this so that the sun image will baaaaaaaaaarely show up. For this reason, it wouldn't make sense to go one notch more so that it is fully invisible because of how the PS5 seems to jump forward or backwards a lot of nits with each click. The goal is to maximize the ability of the HDTV, so getting the first setting as close to invisible as possible works well.

Step 2: Vincent's adjustments in the video are done on an HGIG capable set, and he said step two should be the same as the first step. That doesn't work for my non-HGIG X900H. As I click the the values enough, I have to choose between either a faint sun image that is very dim but clearly visible, or a fully invisible sun. From what I read on the 'net, I will benefit more by choosing the invisible option since it will allow the full capability of the HDTV to be used. Yes, there is some extra nit info that can't be used, but unlike if I had made the first setting fully invisible, the jump to the next click here isn't nearly as dramatic, so there won't be any significant issues.

Step 3: Vincent kinda mentions the type of HDTVs that should have this at zero, but I read a more expanded explanation. Putting it at zero applies to OLEDs as well as LEDs that have dimming zones (which the X900H does have). In both types of displays, full black is properly acknowledged with step 3 set at zero.

As I said, the image is absolutely gorgeous once I did it this way for my X900H.