• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
FOR TVs WITH HGIG SETTING

follow-up from the Miles Morales video

[HGIG] should be engaged on your TV (if available) before running this HDR adjustment. At 09:55 in this video, when we said the Maximum Full Frame Tone Map Luminance should be identical to the Maximum Tone Map Luminance, we're referring to an HGIG display with tone-mapping disabled.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was going by eye on those icons, and HGIG was way too dark and I was right back to dynamic tone mapping. Saw this video earlier and now it looks much better, still a little darker but the whites actually look correct and I dont lose a ton of detail in dark areas.

Basically: On the LG CX, for the first 2 screens on PS5 hold down to bottom out the settings, then press up 14 times. On the last screen just bottom it out

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
So... I did it right?

I mean, he basically says "follow the on screen directions and you'll be alright".

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
Amazing! I was just looking for a video like this yesterday I noticed my colors were looking washed out .

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
TL;DW:
Turn on HGIG
Set Black Level/RGB Range to Auto

HDR Settings 1 and 2: Go one notch above what you can "barely see". So leave on the one where the sun disappears for the first time.

HDR Setting 3: Go all the way down. As dark as possible.
So... I did it right?

I mean, he basically says "follow the on screen directions and you'll be alright".
No.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
is there a TLDR how to we know what's the best adjustments for our personal TV sets?
Basically set the first two sliders till the symbol just fully disappears completely. The third symbol you'll want to put to the lowest setting possible for OLED, tho if your room is bright or you're on an LCD you might want to raise it a bit till the symbol is just barely visible, then knock it down till it just disappears.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
All these OLED settings and tweaking for the best calibration makes my head spin.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
How certain is this guy that the calibration is telling the PS5 exactly where the limits of your display are at the "just barely visible" step, and that it's not setting those limits at the level just beyond the step you set (because it already knows your display is capable of higher brightness in the surrounding white area)?

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Can that hdr/vrr/hdmi 2.1/dolbyvision/120hz bullshit get any more complicated to use? Let's find out in a couple of days when a new vid will be out explaining why everything is fucked all over again!

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Was hoping this would make the SDR image look a bit better too but it still looks too dim. I wish they just let the application decide whether HDR is on or not.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
not really. listen again

Should be clarified this video is meant for people with displays with the HGIG setting because this does no tone mapping, like the recent OLEDs. For people with a Sony TV for example which do not have this setting, if you go back and watch his Miles Morales video and read the comments in addition to this one he mentions to just follow the PS5 on screen instructions with the barely visible image (at least the first two screens; I believe last one should always be lowest no matter the display as this is true black/zero nits and he mentions LEDs even turn off backlight when it reads 0 nits).

Last edited:

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
How certain is this guy that the calibration is telling the PS5 exactly where the limits of your display are at the "just barely visible" step, and that it's not setting those limits at the level just beyond the step you set (because it already knows your display is capable of higher brightness in the surrounding white area)?
I think That's a good point. But it'd be weird for Sony to set up the calibration screen that way when there has been games that use a calibration screen that say make both sides look identical white.

They could have done something like that but didn't. But I agree I don't think we know 100% for sure what Sony does behind the scenes of this setup.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I was going by eye on those icons, and HGIG was way too dark and I was right back to dynamic tone mapping. Saw this video earlier and now it looks much better, still a little darker but the whites actually look correct and I dont lose a ton of detail in dark areas.

Basically: On the LG CX, for the first 2 screens on PS5 hold down to bottom out the settings, then press up 14 times. On the last screen just bottom it out

Think there's enough variance in OLED panels that other people might have to press up 13 or 15 times.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I think That's a good point. But it'd be weird for Sony to set up the calibration screen that way when there has been games that use a calibration screen that say make both sides look identical white.

They could have done something like that but didn't. But I agree I don't think we know 100% for sure what Sony does behind the scenes of this setup.

I mean, they're telling us to step up until the sun is just barely visible. The obvious logic there is "this display is capable of one step higher of brightness, because there's a difference between the sun and the background." It would be awfully strange for Sony to give us those instructions and then limit the peak brightness to whatever the sun image is at, and not what the background is at.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I thought half the games don't support or use HGIG

wouldn't it be be better to just adjust to default tone mapping?

not all games are created equal. I know the HGIG method does not work well at all with assassins creed from what i remember.

Last edited:

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
I mean, they're telling us to step up until the sun is just barely visible. The obvious logic there is "this display is capable of one step higher of brightness, because there's a difference between the sun and the background." It would be awfully strange for Sony to give us those instructions and then limit the peak brightness to whatever the sun image is at, and not what the background is at.
But one step after barely visible to invisible means it's clipped right? Which isn't good. So they have it set up so you have as bright a screen as possible without clipping highlights. The problem is the "sun is barely visible" is very visible and the jump in nits for each tick is too much.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very happy with the results going by the on screen directions with my Sony 900E. This is going to vary greatly by device and preference.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
But one step after barely visible to invisible means it's clipped right? Which isn't good. So they have it set up so you have as bright a screen as possible without clipping highlights. The problem is the "sun is barely visible" is very visible and the jump in nits for each tick is too much.

What I'm saying is that Sony may have accounted for that in its settings and it's not clear this guy knows if that's the case or not. He's suggesting that the peak brightness is being set based on the sun image, but I'm not at all sure that's what Sony is doing. It wouldn't make sense to tell us to set it so we can see the sun, and ignore the fact that this means our displays are capable of a brighter step in the background.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
What I'm saying is that Sony may have accounted for that in its settings and it's not clear this guy knows if that's the case or not. He's suggesting that the peak brightness is being set based on the sun image, but I'm not at all sure that's what Sony is doing. It wouldn't make sense to tell us to set it so we can see the sun, and ignore the fact that this means our displays are capable of a brighter step in the background.
Yes and I agree. We don't know what Sony is doing behind the scenes. My point was there are easier ways to set up a calibration page if that was their goal. There are some calibration pages that have you tick half a grey slide to match a white slide so they know exactly when your display clips.

The way Sony is setting this up isn't great because it leaves wasted unused nits.

If Sony was going behind the scenes and making it so they actually move your calibration 1 tick post you doing it, they could have just said make it so the sun dissappears. But they didn't. So I'm led to believe they're not changing anything. Otherwise why would they make everyone do the process incorrectly.

There's a gap of 150 nits between almost invisible and invisible. That's not good. Those ticks would be much better if they were like 20 nits but they probably were worried people would go screw this and not set it up. Sony doesn't have accurate enough information to make a slight tweak behind the scenes if my display could still go an extra 130+ nits. VS someone else's display Which is actually sun almost invisible and only has like an extra 20-40 nits.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Ahh, didn't know. Thanks for posting OP. Just reset my stuff, feels a tad better? Who knows, but I like it.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and I agree. We don't know what Sony is doing behind the scenes. My point was there are easier ways to set up a calibration page if that was their goal. There are some calibration pages that have you tick half a grey slide to match a white slide so they know exactly when your display clips.

The way Sony is setting this up isn't great because it leaves wasted unused nits.

If Sony was going behind the scenes and making it so they actually move your calibration 1 tick post you doing it, they could have just said make it so the sun dissappears. But they didn't. So I'm led to believe they're not changing anything. Otherwise why would they make everyone do the process incorrectly.

There's a gap of 150 nits between almost invisible and invisible. That's not good. Those ticks would be much better if they were like 20 nits but they probably were worried people would go screw this and not set it up.

Yes, I'm sure it was designed for user friendliness, opting for a balance between efficacy and ease, and that's probably a wise decision. It would be nice if they included an advanced option, but few people are as concerned with the exactitude in play here like we are, and there are products to satisfy our needs.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
yes, when i enable HGIG i cannot even do the sun being barely noticeable its just fucking there or gone. Also my screen dropped a lot of overall brightness switching to HGIG. I'll stick with it to test, but overall the image just seems too dark.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Some games that don't support HGIG look off when it's used compared to Dynamic Tone Map, namely Ghost of Tsushima, but still good settings to have. Is there any list or indicator of which games support HGIG?

I found the PS5's HDR Calibration set-up to be very lackluster and somehow inferior to the Xbox's which was also not great. Considering PS5 forces HDR for SDR content by tone maping it you'd think they'd put more effort to get it right

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Some games that don't support HGIG look off when it's used compared to Dynamic Tone Map, namely Ghost of Tsushima, but still good settings to have. Is there any list or indicator of which games support HGIG?

I found the PS5's HDR Calibration set-up to be very lackluster and somehow inferior to the Xbox's which was also not great. Considering PS5 forces HDR for SDR content by tone maping it you'd think they'd put more effort to get it right

we got like 3?

No Man's Sky
Call of Duty

and potentially the new gran turismo? I mean the new OLED panels are the only thing that have HGIG

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Yeah its kinda pick your poison situation for oled. Lose 100-150 nits of brightness. But you don't lose any detail. Or clip detail but you get your tvs full brightness potential.

Considering there's a large gap from barely visible (still verrry visible) to invisible. I can't image it's clipping 100 nits of brightness if you go over. Maybe it's closer to 25-50. If that's the case clipping a little bit vs losing a solid chunk of brightness makes it an easy choice.

The problem that's causing me anxiety is if Sony takes a calibration page and goes. "Cool this is where they set it up so they can still see the sun, lets brighten it up one more tick for them and we're good to go".

And us going one tick above is actually 2. But that's just enough doubt for my anxiety to kick in lmao.

asheliaX

Feb 3, 2018
The Seychelles
TL;DW:
Turn on HGIG
Set Black Level/RGB Range to Auto

HDR Settings 1 and 2: Go one notch above what you can "barely see". So leave on the one where the sun disappears for the first time.

HDR Setting 3: Go all the way down. As dark as possible.

No.
Just did this and the difference is very noticeable! I think going all the way down on HDR setting 3 is what I'm noticing most. Demon's Souls looks fantastic. Going to see how other games, especially AC Valhalla, look now.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question I'm hoping someone in this thread can answer as I try to figure out how to configure HDR properly.

According to rtings, my Sony x900e has peak HDR around 800 or 900 cd/m.

Are these values what I should be setting maximum luminance to into games for HDR? In AC Valhalla the picture stopped getting brighter after 1,000 so I left it at 1,000. But is that screwing up my image?

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017