• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Since a lot games apparently cant toggle HDR on automatically on Windows Settings, here's a quality of life change for those games that need more than the usual Nvidia Control Panel. These games include Gamepass PC games and the recent Ubisoft titles.

Ill provide a file that you put on your desktop that serves as a toggle for HDR on Windows Settings. First, if you have an Nvidia card, to go to your Nvidia control panel and change the output color format and output color depth. 4:2:2, 10bit or 12 bit. Youre set with Nvidia, no need to change the settings until the next driver install.

uq9UQag.png

Now, for those titles that require Windows settings HDR On too, you had to go to Settings>Display>Toggle HDR

But fuck that, I'm lazy and Windows should have an easier way to toggle HDR. Just "turn it on and forget it" you say? NO! The desktop and everyday browsing is atrocious in HDR. So here's a file I have on my desktop that toggles HDR on or off with a doubleclick.

HDR On and Off switch file download.

Credit to this site https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/toggle-hdr-with-a-script-on-windows-10/ for reducing my first world problem to double click a file on my desktop. The link teaches you how to make the file yourself. Its copy/paste easy.

Update:

Have an OLED and want to reduce risk of burn in of static images, or just dont like files on your desktop? brain_stew got you covered: bradgearon's HDR toggle on Github zip download

Last edited:

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's so annoying that Windows doesn't have a toggle in the action center like they do for all sorts of other things.
btw I assume I can have it on 444 or RGB since I'm on 3080/HDMI 2.1?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Also, if you use Playnite (or similar) you can set up a powershell command to turn on Windows HDR when starting a particular game and then Turn off HDR when existing a game.

Oct 21, 2019
I have it set to 444 with DP; am I doing something wrong? Also, is HDR browsing that bad? I've toggled the sRGB option on my X27 and cannot see a big difference either.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to have a shortcut that enables HDR and launches a specific game? Thinking if there was a way to launch games forced into Windows HDR mode for nvidia gamestream

For OLED TVs you can have this on tray. Thanks to brain_stew for the link. Thanks to bradgearon for the file on Github

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
OP
OP
Skyebaron

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I use HDR Switch which adds the option to your taskbar, as desktop shortcuts are a recipe for burn in on an OLED:

github.com

GitHub - bradgearon/hdr-switch: turns hdr on while running for windows 10

turns hdr on while running for windows 10. Contribute to bradgearon/hdr-switch development by creating an account on GitHub.
Thank you for this. Works excellent. Heres a direct link to the download page on that github: Direct link to zip file OLED

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you for this. Works excellent. Heres a direct link to the download page on that github: Direct link to zip file OLED

It was someone here that recommended it to me and it was the catalyst for me to give HDR on PC a proper go again. I'm really glad I did as well as there's something fantastic examples on Gam pass like Gears 5, Crackdown 3, Tetris Effect: Connected and Forza Horizon 4 that are demo material. Running at 4k/60 in HDR on my LG B8 and RTX 3070, they all look incredible

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Since a lot games apparently cant toggle HDR on automatically on Windows Settings, here's a quality of life change for those games that need more than the usual Nvidia Control Panel. These games include Gamepass PC games and the recent Ubisoft titles.

Credit to this site https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/toggle-hdr-with-a-script-on-windows-10/ for reducing my first world problem to double click a file on my desktop. The link teaches you how to make the file yourself. Its copy/paste easy.

Update:

Have an OLED or dont like files on your desktop? brain_stew got you covered: bradgearon's HDR toggle on Github zip download
Hey thanks so mnuch for doing this - out of curiosity, why is it a different file if using an OLED?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kaldaien do you have any thoughts on HDR Switch? It seems really useful since toggling HDR normally is a pain but it doesn't seem to have a 10 bit 444 option for some reason. Only 10 bit RGB or 8 bit 444. 10bit 444 would be best, right?
68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f677a5a695673722e676966

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Its the reason i turn it off for desktop browsing. The image corrects itself once you turn HDR on the game that requires it.

edit: Not grey but the colors and contrasts are messed up.
Do you have the SDR Brightness slider in Windows on 10%-13%? That's the average nits for SDR and it fixed SDR looking bad in HDR for me.

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
Kaldaien do you have any thoughts on HDR Switch? It seems really useful since toggling HDR normally is a pain but it doesn't seem to have a 10 bit 444 option for some reason. Only 10 bit RGB or 8 bit 444. 10bit 444 would be best, right?
68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f677a5a695673722e676966
That's built-in to Special K :)
CJR3MG1.png

Thanks to a quirk in the NV driver, what I intended to apply to only the running game, applies to the entire DWM :-\

10-bit formats are hard to get with the NvAPI driver API that handles this. I can give you 6-bpc color of for some silly reason that's a thing you wanted :)

On an HDMI 2.1 link, this display exposes the missing 10-bit YCbCr 4:4:4 and 10-bit RGB encodings. Setting the display to 24 Hz would as well, but who does that? :P

-----
There's a lot of other potentially useful stuff there too (fixes for Steam overlay, screenshots, re-tonemapping the game's HDR), can't recommend using SK in Cyberpunk enough.

Last edited:

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's built-in to Special K :)
CJR3MG1.png

Thanks to a quirk in the NV driver, what I intended to apply to only the running game, applies to the entire DWM :-\

10-bit formats are hard to get with the NvAPI driver API that handles this. I can give you 6-bpc color of for some silly reason that's a thing you wanted :)

On an HDMI 2.1 link, this display exposes the missing 10-bit YCbCr 4:4:4 and 10-bit RGB encodings. Setting the display to 24 Hz would as well, but who does that? :P

-----
There's a lot of other potentially useful stuff there too (fixes for Steam overlay, screenshots, re-tonemapping the game's HDR), can't recommend using SK in Cyberpunk enough.
Huh that's cool. I assume HDR still needs to be enabled on Windows and SpecialK doesn't automatically do it? Btw any suggestions on which Color Encoding setting I should use with my LG CX/3080 combo?

Also does SpecialK generally work on most games similar to RTSS? Wondering if I should replace RTSS with this

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Keeping nVidia settings to default and keeping Windows HDR on and set to 50% brightness works just fine on my display (Samsung Q6FN). I don't notice anything looking particularly wrong when viewing SDR content or playing SDR games, and HDR just works and also looks fine. Just as good as on my PS4 Pro.

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
Huh that's cool. I assume HDR still needs to be enabled on Windows and SpecialK doesn't automatically do it? Btw any suggestions on which Color Encoding setting I should use with my LG CX/3080 combo?

Also does SpecialK generally work on most games similar to RTSS? Wondering if I should replace RTSS with this
It works in D3D9/11/12/GL games. Doesn't work in D3D10 or Vulkan at the moment, so it's not a complete replacement for RTSS.

The D3D12 stuff is a work in progress, very heavy work at that ;)

I'd point you to my own forums for now:

D3D12 Missing Features - Development - Special K Discussion (differentk.fyi)

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
As a side note, doesn't the list of resolution options under the "PC" segment give better results on a TV in NV Control Panel wrt image quality and input lag?