• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Those raised black levels man. Not good. I honestly find it a bit washed out overall on my C9.

Check this video...

youtu.be

SONY X950H RESIDENT EVIL 3 REMASTER DEMO PC 4K ULTRA ( VALUE ELECTRONICS)

SONY 950H IN ACTION WITH THE RESIDENT EVIL 3 DEMO ON PC 4K 60FPS HDR . DONT FORGET TO DOWNLOAD THE DEMO FOR FREE ON XBOX ,PS4 AND PC RIGHT NOW. SHOUT OUT TO...

PC version, and while the guy is playing in HDR it shows in SDR in the video and the black levels are so much better in the video, and not that washed out look either.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Do we have good HDR settings for RE3 remake demo now?

LG C9.

I can't get it looking right, and this is with HDR game mode on default except for color temp at warm2.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
Do we have good HDR settings for RE3 remake demo now?

LG C9.

I can't get it looking right, and this is with HDR game mode on default except for color temp at warm2.

On my LG c9 I just did the faint pattern on the white box thing and decided to leave the part where in two we were told to have 4 notches or so from left. It looks great but what do I know.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
On my LG c9 I just did the faint pattern on the white box thing and decided to leave the part where in two we were told to have 4 notches or so from left. It looks great but what do I know.

I honestly have no idea what you meant here. You mean you leave the first setting at default and the one with the color bars 4 notches to the left?

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I honestly have no idea what you meant here. You mean you leave the first setting at default and the one with the color bars 4 notches to the left?

Reads like - first white box did it just until the outline is faint. Second with the colour bars was left where it is.

I tried that my first time but the black was still too grey looking for me. I'm using a Sony XF900.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I actually found myself going away from Boris' recommendation, which is the first time I ever have, for RE2 (and now 3). The reason is I noticed certain things, like fire, were really dim with the setting. By putting the bar so the blue and red are even like it says, yes the picture appears more washed out but the fire looked more proper too. It really does seem like Capcom just intended for the game to have this super hazy look and trying to counteract it with the calibration settings will be to the detriment of other elements.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
Reads like - first white box did it just until the outline is faint. Second with the colour bars was left where it is.

I tried that my first time but the black was still too grey looking for me. I'm using a Sony XF900.

Yes that's how I meant it to be read.

I assume the first part with the pattern is standard now.

So it may be worth trying different adjustments till you get it right.

I use HGIG too on my lgc9 even though I don't think this or anything else actually supports it yet.

Oct 25, 2017
DOOM Eternal is pretty confusing. I tried EvilBoris's settings, which look fine on my end but a bit too dim.

Ended up just reverting to the default settings despite it being a bit too saturated at points.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I actually found myself going away from Boris' recommendation, which is the first time I ever have, for RE2 (and now 3). The reason is I noticed certain things, like fire, were really dim with the setting. By putting the bar so the blue and red are even like it says, yes the picture appears more washed out but the fire looked more proper too. It really does seem like Capcom just intended for the game to have this super hazy look and trying to counteract it with the calibration settings will be to the detriment of other elements.

Yeah, I much prefer how The Evil Within 2 does this but especially Dead Space. They nailed it there. Ah well.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
It's driving me crazy how the map in DOOM Eternal is completely busted in HDR. Maybe this is only a PC thing, but it seems like it's a near-unanimous problem there at least.

v7jvavwfrrn41.png

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like Xbox but it should be the same on PS4 I would think.

Thanks for this! Gonna try the new ones out and see how they fare on my set

Its not a great deal difference to be honest , as the HDR brightness and HDR whitepoint basically change the image in the same way, but you do have plenty more space to make it brighter or darker

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I have the white point at 0.20. If I crank it up to 1 the picture dims significantly. Is that normal? I'm on Pro + B7 OLED.

oh. I wonder if I've posted the wrong settings. I'll check in a bit. I screenshot that from the settings without double checking they were the working ones!

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
What are the correct Nvidia control panel settings? RGB 8 bit Full or YCbCr422 12 bit limited?

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah. I got it on 0.30 now, but higher makes everything to dark in my opinion.

I did check, they are correct. that setting and HDR brightness are almost identical, so you can use either setting to brighten it.

I use the settings as posted then just increase the HDR brightness as needed

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
Can someone explain to me how much of a standard HGIG is so far?

I do understand and appreciate that some of the major player in the gaming industry agreed on HGIG becoming the standard for HDR Gaming.
But how for has it been implemented in releases so far? And does it make sense to use HGIG although a game is not tuned towards that standard? Is DTM an alternative that should be used instead in those cases?

I'm currently trying to find my default setting for all the SDR/HDR scenarios on PC and I just would wish for some simpler tools to set up your HDR that, for example what Doom Eternal tried to implement. It's not easy to understand what you're doing in that menu for the average user, I guess.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Can someone explain to me how much of a standard HGIG is so far?

I do understand and appreciate that some of the major player in the gaming industry agreed on HGIG becoming the standard for HDR Gaming.
But how for has it been implemented in releases so far? And does it make sense to use HGIG although a game is not tuned towards that standard? Is DTM an alternative that should be used instead in those cases?

I'm currently trying to find my default setting for all the SDR/HDR scenarios on PC and I just would wish for some simpler tools to set up your HDR that, for example what Doom Eternal tried to implement. It's not easy to understand what you're doing in that menu for the average user, I guess.

HGIG in the C9 disables the dynamic tonemapping and provides a native tone curve that ensures you get a 1:1 representation of that is being fed for the TV.

The HGIG option in games and OS's is just a time saving thing, so you don't have to set up every game separately.

Either way, HGIG being enabled is the correct option for 99% of games

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
HGIG in the C9 disables the dynamic tonemapping and provides a native tone curve that ensures you get a 1:1 representation of that is being fed for the TV.

The HGIG option in games and OS's is just a time saving thing, so you don't have to set up every game separately.

The problem is that 99% of users don't even understand what HGIG even does. Just look at this thread, you gets tons of people asking if XYZ title supports HGIG. You need to set up a thread mark or something just telling people to leave that option ticked on and forget about it.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017

I didn't know that HGIG aims for the 1:1 representation. So I'm gonna go with HGIG as my default for now.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't know that HGIG aims for the 1:1 representation. So I'm gonna go with HGIG as my default for now.

HGIG is important because PS4 doesn't output metadata. Since it doesn't output metadata, LG TVs default to assume 4,000 not content, so if the game is sending more than 4,000 nit data you get a bright image with clipped highlight detail, and if less than 4,000... say 1,000 or 2,000 nits the TV still assumes 4,000 nits and you get a dimmer image.

Dynamic Tone Mapping is trash. I do not recommend ever turning it on as you will blow out your bottom end and the entire image becomes too bright.

On 8 series OLED, even with DTM off, the TV still tone maps to 1K, 4K, 10K. It assumes your peak is 700 nits. So, on a C8 you need to lower your OLED light if your display shows more than 700 nits. On a C9 you can use Calman to set your panel peak white and tone map even better.

Again, turn DTM off. Hopefully next gen consoles send metadata, or the system level HDR sliders become a universal control and games simply have an HDR toggle.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
Dynamic Tone Mapping is trash. I do not recommend ever turning it on as you will blow out your bottom end and the entire image becomes too bright.

On this point, there's a few paragraphs choice on the the recent LG CX review from FlatpanelsHD. Though LG's algorithm has been updated over time, much of this probably still applies to LG OLED models from 2017 to today.

Rasmus Larsen said:
By pulling the slider from the left photo (original picture) to the right photo (tone-mapped picture) you can see the same HDR scene with or without LG's dynamic tone-mapping system engaged. As you can see, it raises luminance especially in highlight areas such as the bright clouds. Other areas in the picture are boosted to enhance perception of details. The overall picture looks brighter and the color temperature appears, perceptually, a little cooler. Some highlight details are subdued somewhat in the brightest areas (please do not pay attention to the softer photo on the left as this is caused by the camera).

RBafepS.png
hEIAbRx.png

We explored the system further by using the HDR clip seen below. The very bright light to the right of the lady was measured to slightly below 300 nits on a Panasonic GZ2000 and LG CX (without dynamic tone-mapping engaged). With the tone-mapping system engaged, LG CX boosted the luminance in this area to above 500 nits. This gives you an idea about how the system plays with luminance to increase perceived contrast.​

Rasmus Larsen said:
Is this a good thing? Well, it changes the picture so if you want the most accurate representation you should leave it off but also be aware that you should then enjoy HDR content in a relatively dark room (because that it how it was mastered in the mastering studio). How our eyes perceive especially contrast/light - but also colors - on a display depend on ambient light conditions so obviously there should be some system in place to account for this effect. We are not convinced that current implementations are optimal but we still think that people who enjoy HDR movies, series and games during both daytime and nighttime will like at least some aspects of these systems.​

Kiyoshi

Apr 4, 2018
EvilBoris How is HDR in Ori? I'm currently waiting for it to appear on PC (in an upcoming patch), but if the implementation isn't stellar then I'll just crack on now. I have a Samsung KS8000.

vmd12

Feb 18, 2020
Playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint in hdr on oled c9. Night scenes look very washed out. Doesn't look dark at all. Sdr looks better considering it has calibration setting for black level, while in hdr there's only option for paper white and max nits. Ubisoft titles still have this problem with black level in hdr.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Asking here if anyone has advice for setting up HDR on PC.

I'm finding in particular RE Engine games appear darker than they should. For example on this screen, this is the max brightness I can set and the interior square isnt close to meeting the brightness for the exterior square:

I have just adjusted the red/blue screen after this to be mostly on the brighter side to try and remedy this, but it still bothers me if anyone has any suggestions to fix this or should I ignore this?

Another point of potential interest I thought I'd raise, which I dont think is affecting RE engine games as it's been the case since launch for any of them, but I noticed HDR became worse on Destiny 2 for me recently, which was one of the games that actually seemed to just work and woem great for me on PC, and from the thread I posted here:

It seems the latest nvidia driver may have messed with HDR brightness.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Asking here if anyone has advice for setting up HDR on PC.

I'm finding in particular RE Engine games appear darker than they should. For example on this screen, this is the max brightness I can set and the interior square isnt close to meeting the brightness for the exterior square:

I have just adjusted the red/blue screen after this to be mostly on the brighter side to try and remedy this, but it still bothers me if anyone has any suggestions to fix this or should I ignore this?

Another point of potential interest I thought I'd raise, which I dont think is affecting RE engine games as it's been the case since launch for any of them, but I noticed HDR became worse on Destiny 2 for me recently, which was one of the games that actually seemed to just work and woem great for me on PC, and from the thread I posted here:

It seems the latest nvidia driver may have messed with HDR brightness.

My first things to check :
You have a TV with a 4000nit tone map (many TCL sets and the LG 6/7 series), the games reach 2000 max
Or there is a video range mismatch (full/limited)

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My first things to check :
You have a TV with a 4000nit tone map (many TCL sets and the LG 6/7 series), the games reach 2000 max
Or there is a video range mismatch (full/limited)

Thanks for the quick reply!
I actually have a monitor, the Dell UP2718Q to be precise, which I believe is capable of 1000nits max.
Video range mix match.. I have no idea. How would I check?
I did change on the nvidia control panel to use YcBCr422 colour format and the only option with that is limited.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the quick reply!
I actually have a monitor, the Dell UP2718Q to be precise, which I believe is capable of 1000nits max.
Video range mix match.. I have no idea. How would I check?
I did change on the nvidia control panel to use YcBCr422 colour format and the only option with that is limited.

Basically, just check that your monitor doesn't have it's own setting in a menu for limited/full.
Alternatively try switching to RGB 8bit with full range video and see if that looks correct (just to rule it out)

I had a quick look in the manual and could not see an option for it, however there is a colour option which you have to set at REC2020 for HDR

What value do you typically arrive at with other HDR games that have a labled value for peak brightness?

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Basically, just check that your monitor doesn't have it's own setting in a menu for limited/full.
Alternatively try switching to RGB 8bit with full range video and see if that looks correct (just to rule it out)

I had a quick look in the manual and could not see an option for it, however there is a colour option which you have to set at REC2020 for HDR

What value do you typically arrive at with other HDR games that have a labled value for peak brightness?

I have actually found a fix! But.. some aspects I don't like.
So, changing to Full RGB didn't fix it (And only supports 8 bit colour).
I couldn't see any settings to change for my monitor to change it's own settings, however I found a Smart HDR setting, turning that to off makes Windows no longer recognise it as a HDR monitor, previously it was set to Vivid, so I tried Standard just to see and... that actually worked with the brightness screen having the interior match the exterior, however... the colours do seem duller than vivid.

One thing I've done to try and make them more vivid using standard is change digital vibrance on nvidia settings which is somewhat working.. I'll see if it works in-game.

EDIT: Nope, the setting doesnt seem to affect in-game.

Last edited:

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018

Sorry to be a pain, but just to clarify. Do you mean enabling is correct for 99% of games that support HGIG. Or 99% of games in general, even older titles that don't have HGIG support.

I thought for older titles it simply disables dtm without doing anything else. I kinda like what dtm does for certain games, but it'd be annoying to have to check to see if every game supports hgig or not.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry to be a pain, but just to clarify. Do you mean enabling is correct for 99% of games that support HGIG. Or 99% of games in general, even older titles that don't have HGIG support.

I thought for older titles it simply disables dtm without doing anything else. I kinda like what dtm does for certain games, but it'd be annoying to have to check to see if every game supports hgig or not.

99% of games in general.