• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
i just finished ff15 on x1x an yes: the cg looked good. much better than the cg in the ff7 demo (no artifacts, cleaner, sharper, despite 1080p).
I remember one of the ending CG's looking awful on my PS4 (extreme banding). This was before the Royal Edition and all the DLCs, so I wonder if that was ever fixed.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Use HGIG.

That should be the default setting for games
I tried FF7 demo last night on my C9 w/ HGiG and it looked great!!WCG makes the reds really pop! UE4 has such a great HDR pipeline. I hope for next gen we get Dolby Vision support but I won't hold my breath. I suppose Dolby's licensing fee is cost prohibitive??

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I tried FF7 demo last night on my C9 w/ HGiG and it looked great!!WCG makes the reds really pop! UE4 has such a great HDR pipeline. I hope for next gen we get Dolby Vision support but I won't hold my breath. I suppose Dolby's licensing fee is cost prohibitive??
I think video games doesn't really need Dolby Vision support because every frame is rendered in real time dynamically as oppose to movies. Scene would adjust instead of HDR meta data. I could be wrong.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I think video games doesn't really need Dolby Vision support because every frame is rendered in real time dynamically as oppose to movies. Scene would adjust instead of HDR meta data. I could be wrong.
Digital Foundry briefly mentioned the PC version of NFS Heat looks amazing in Dolby Vision. 12 bit color and dynamic meta data should make a difference.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Digital Foundry briefly mentioned the PC version of NFS Heat looks amazing in Dolby Vision. 12 bit color and dynamic meta data should make a difference.
12 bit colour maybe, you can output 12bit colour with 4:2:2 but hdmi 2.1 going forward will solve that. I still don't think dynamic meta data is necessary if the scene can adjust itself from the game dynamically unlike movies.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I haven't beaten Blind Forest yet but I want to download the sequel just to see the HDR now lol.

vmd12

Feb 18, 2020
Start Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order on the c9 oled today. Elevated black is obvious in the loading screen and in-game gameplay. Decreasing the brightness from 50 to 49 brings back pitch black but it makes several dark scenes look weird with probably crushed shadow details. Not sure if this is creator's intent to make the black elevated (reducing contrast) or just another bad hdr implementation. Disappointing. Even sdr is messed up somehow. I move the brightness slider to the left until the left logo is one step away from disappearing into pitch black but then the game becomes way too dark. The default setting seems to be the best but then what's the point? It is almost like the developer doesn't care about oled users.

Mochino

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Wanted to pop in here and see if anybody here had any ideas that could help me. (Have the TCL P605, if that helps)

Out of nowhere my PS4 Pro has just stopped sending an HDR signal to my TV, and I'm not sure what's gone wrong. Games still claim they're in HDR mode and the colors are suuuuper washed out compared to when an HDR game is not open so I know that SOMETHING is happening, but my TV still says HDR isn't on and only shows standard settings. And my Apple TV and built in media apps display HDR totally fine, so I don't think it's an issue with the TV.

Have tried both the HDMI cable that came with the system and the HDMI cable that works fine with the Apple TV on every input, but still no luck. Rebooting the system or leaving it unplugged for a day didn't work either. I have a new cable coming from Amazon tomorrow, but other than that I don't really know what else I can do.

If anybody has any experience with this or any suggestions on what to try next I would really appreciate it!

vmd12

Feb 18, 2020
Playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare. Another hdr game that has elevated black along with terrible posterization in the dark areas. What's the point of increased contrast in hdr if black is grey instead of true black? It's 2020 and hdr is still a freaking mess.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Nioh 2 HDR Calibration is so bad," move sliders till it looks fine to you", wtf is that?

BaldwinAce

Oct 28, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Really? Does HGIG change it that much? I don't even know how that works. I'm playing Sekiro and the HDR is super underwhelming IMO.
I don't know if it changes it that much tbh, I don't remember it without it.

I have a LG B9 and it's quite possibly the best HDR I've seen so far on PS4 Pro, and I've played pretty much all HDR games on it. The highlight is really all of the particle effects of the game.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it changes it that much tbh, I don't remember it without it.

I have a LG B9 and it's quite possibly the best HDR I've seen so far on PS4 Pro, and I've played pretty much all HDR games on it. The highlight is really all of the particle effects of the game.

Yeah, my impression is that the only highlights I'm getting on my B7 are from the sun and the Sculptor Idols, everything else doesn't seem to step out of the SDR range. But I could be wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna disable it as well. Can't see shit in a lot of levels.

I ended up doing 1000 peak, 500 standard brightness, with the other settings at the middle point (except saturation which is at 4) to find a decent image (comparable to SDR brightness at a minimum).

I might bump contrast up to 6 but I still need to see how it looks in some other stages as I'm only a few missions in.

Hwoar

Dec 16, 2017
Use HGIG.

That should be the default setting for games

Hi, maybe you can help me a little. For example I just played a bit of Horizon Zero Dawn to look at the HDR and it seems to me that DTM is the best setting.
Now this could just be preference, but HGIG causes details to get lost, for example a moving sun that just dissapears because the area around it is so bright that you can't see it. Previously I thought it was mostly DTM that would cause something like this. What is your take on this? Do I have some wrong settings? It's about a C9.

I think i've read in the past from you that HGIG is probably the best on games that support a certain range and DTM on games that don't?

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hi, maybe you can help me a little. For example I just played a bit of Horizon Zero Dawn to look at the HDR and it seems to me that DTM is the best setting.
Now this could just be preference, but HGIG causes details to get lost, for example a moving sun that just dissapears because the area around it is so bright that you can't see it. Previously I thought it was mostly DTM that would cause something like this. What is your take on this? Do I have some wrong settings? It's about a C9.

I think i've read in the past from you that HGIG is probably the best on games that support a certain range and DTM on games that don't?

Horizon is an older title and outputs data to 4000 or so nits, DTM off will capture that detail best

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up doing 1000 peak, 500 standard brightness, with the other settings at the middle point (except saturation which is at 4) to find a decent image (comparable to SDR brightness at a minimum).

I might bump contrast up to 6 but I still need to see how it looks in some other stages as I'm only a few missions in.
I did that(1000 peak, 500 standard brightness,) and that seems to be the best image. I lowered saturation to 2 because some characters were looking reddish.

Oct 25, 2017
I did that(1000 peak, 500 standard brightness,) and that seems to be the best image. I lowered saturation to 2 because some characters were looking reddish.

Oh, good call!

I turned my saturation down to 1 but 0 looks fine on my TV too. Some of the twilight missions are way too red. The fire in the calibration image looks the most natural to me (on my TV) on 0 or 1.

I'm pretty fine with the image now. Looks better than SDR at least.

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
Nioh 2 HDR settings on aLG C9 I went with:
TV: HGIG
Peak brightness: 720
Standard brightness: 350
Saturation: 0
Screen brightness: 25
Contrast: 6

still early in the game so may adjust later

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
Does Nioh 2 make use of the PS4 HGIG thing? Should I have dynamic tone mapping turned off on the tv?

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
What is HGIG and is it relevant to my TV (LG C8)? Google isn't giving straight answers.

It's stands for the Hgh Dynamic Range Gaming interest group, a group that makes recommendations for HDR to games/devs console manufacturers and TV makers.

LG introduced a picture mode called HGIG on the 2019 models which basically disables all the processing on the set.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
It's stands for the Hgh Dynamic Range Gaming interest group, a group that makes recommendations for HDR to games/devs console manufacturers and TV makers.

LG introduced a picture mode called HGIG on the 2019 models which basically disables all the processing on the set.
Ah, got it. I guess the closest thing I have is the generic "game mode" which aims to do the same.

Thank you!

PS are you planning on giving Nioh 2 recommendations? The instruction-less settings didn't make it easier.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Just a little guidance on Ori

Evilboris would you mind taking a quick look at metro exodus again? I am currently playing the new dlc but they have raised the gamma in the game in one of the recent patches so now it is almost impossible to get the HDR looking correct (i game on pc xbox with srgb still looks correct). I now have have to set brightness on my c9 oled to 40(!) to get the nice pure blacks back. Otherwise the game looks like a grey mess. Do you know any places in the game which I can use as a reference when trying to manually adjust the gamma/brightness?

the gamma issue is reported by a lot of people in this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/metro-exodus-pc-performance-thread.99817/page-14 and I Think lots of people would appreciate your help in getting HDR looking good again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Evilboris would you mind taking a quick look at metro exodus again? I am currently playing the new dlc but they have raised the gamma in the game in one of the recent patches so now it is almost impossible to get the HDR looking correct (i game on pc xbox with srgb still looks correct). I now have have to set brightness on my c9 oled to 40(!) to get the nice pure blacks back. Otherwise the game looks like a grey mess. Do you know any places in the game which I can use as a reference when trying to manually adjust the gamma/brightness?

the gamma issue is reported by a lot of people in this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/metro-exodus-pc-performance-thread.99817/page-14 and I Think lots of people would appreciate your help in getting HDR looking good again.

I'll have a look again this evening when it's dark.
That game was always a bit weird and not quite normal. The inclusion of 3 SDR modes that affect the image in HDR is pretty confusing.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
So, I got Doom early and its HDR calibration menu is rather unusual.

There are five settings with a slider and an explanation text but it doesn't really tell you how it should optimally look. There is no real 'test picture' for HDR white point etc. where you would usually adjust the slider so that a logo is nearly invisible for example. It just shows you the current ingame view instead or a random background if you're in the main menu instead of ingame.

The sliders are:
HDR Brightness
HDR Saturation
HDR Min Stops
HDR White Point
HDR Max Stops

I'm curious to see what others will make of it in here. Image looks good though, playing on a C8.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
I'll have a look again this evening when it's dark.
That game was always a bit weird and not quite normal. The inclusion of 3 SDR modes that affect the image in HDR is pretty confusing.

Thx. I would really appreciate it. If you only have access to the xbox version it might be possible to replicate the issue we are seeing on pc by using a different color space mode than srgb. what we are getting on pc is a washed out image where you have to decrease oled brightness dramatically to get those inky blacks back.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Tried out the Resident Evil 3 demo. It looks just like it did in RE2, with raised blacks in many areas giving it a hazy look.

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
Tried out the Resident Evil 3 demo. It looks just like it did in RE2, with raised blacks in many areas giving it a hazy look.
If it's like RE2 that's good. That game had good HDR implementation and the so called raised blacks were mostly in the police station. The SDR mode allowed dark blacks but also a lot of black crush.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Doom Eternal on PC has 5 different settings to control the HDR. Brightness, Saturation, Min Stops, White Point, and Max Stops. I have zero clue how to adjust it properly.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I ended up using the same settings from the EvilBoris Resi 2 video for the Resi 3 demo. All the way to the right on the first box then 3 or 4 clicks on the second slider.

That seemed to look better than what I was getting from messing around with the settings. Plus I was getting bored and actually wanted to play it instead of stopping every few steps to tweak them.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I ended up using the same settings from the EvilBoris Resi 2 video for the Resi 3 demo. All the way to the right on the first box then 3 or 4 clicks on the second slider.

That seemed to look better than what I was getting from messing around with the settings. Plus I was getting bored and actually wanted to play it instead of stopping every few steps to tweak them.

For me on my C9 I have to put the slider a few times to the left until I barely see the box, at default it's completely white. The second slider seems fine on default.

I wonder if this is correct at all for OLED though.

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
For some reason when I set the first setting in the RE3 demo per instructions I get less detail in highlights than just leaving it at default or moving all the way right.