• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Not sure if it's appropriate to post here but...

I've being pretty happy with my Q6FN over the past 2 years and since we are already talking about next gen and lots of technology....

Is it time to upgrade to a C9 OLED? I've being outside of the OLED market when I bought the Q6FN due to raising concerns about image retention. But I can see that less than 2% is pretty minimal and passable for my experience.

And the overall positive feedback from the infinite contrast got my attention. Also the amount of features over the Q6FN like G-Sync compatibility (1070 gtx owner here), HDMI 2.1 for next gen and lower input latency.

Should I trade my TV right now?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it's appropriate to post here but...

I've being pretty happy with my Q6FN over the past 2 years and since we are already talking about next gen and lots of technology....

Is it time to upgrade to a C9 OLED? I've being outside of the OLED market when I bought the Q6FN due to raising concerns about image retention. But I can see that less than 2% is pretty minimal and passable for my experience.

And the overall positive feedback from the infinite contrast got my attention. Also the amount of features over the Q6FN like G-Sync compatibility (1070 gtx owner here), HDMI 2.1 for next gen and lower input latency.

Should I trade my TV right now?

I don't have time to type something long about this at the moment (concerning C9 or waiting for the CX), but the G-sync compatibility on the C9 only works with Turing-family and newer GPUs.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
That's a huge bummer....

I won't be replacing my GPU until next year (skipping first and second generation of RTX until they solve the performance stress over the RT Cores).

I can understand that. I'm in the same boat with my HTPC's gpu (a GTX980 non-Ti) not supporting G-sync on the TV. I need a performance upgrade anyway, so I think I'll jump in on the 3000-series.

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Is this flicker normal on cod mw on these same menus it doesn't flicker in game not sure if it's a tv issue and it doesnt happen on any other game
youtu.be

Cod menu screen flicker

Only happens on the screen I showed and the video is making it look worse is this normal on that screen

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Is this flicker normal on cod mw on these same menus it doesn't flicker in game not sure if it's a tv issue and it doesnt happen on any other game
youtu.be

Cod menu screen flicker

Only happens on the screen I showed and the video is making it look worse is this normal on that screen
I've done some process of eliminating and it seems it only flickers when VRR is enabled this is on the LG C9 for clarification

vmd12

Feb 18, 2020
Playing Far Cry New Dawn on pc with my c9 oled. The loading screen with the images has perfect black (notice the black bars at the top and bottom), but once it gets in-game, the screen flashes for a second and it becomes grey instead of black, so the black during gameplay is not truly black but grey, which greatly reduces the contrast. When the character dies, the screen also fades to grey instead of black like it's supposed to. I have to reduce the brightness of the tv from the default 50 to even 37 to make that black, but then it seems to cause black crush in game. Sth is wrong with the hdr of this game. Anyone who play this game notice the same thing? Pls note that this is not a problem of black level mismatch as I have no such issue with some other hdr games.

AMDfanTO

Nov 8, 2017
Playing Far Cry New Dawn on pc with my c9 oled. The loading screen with the images has perfect black (notice the black bars at the top and bottom), but once it gets in-game, the screen flashes for a second and it becomes grey instead of black, so the black during gameplay is not truly black but grey, which greatly reduces the contrast. When the character dies, the screen also fades to grey instead of black like it's supposed to. I have to reduce the brightness of the tv from the default 50 to even 37 to make that black, but then it seems to cause black crush in game. Sth is wrong with the hdr of this game. Anyone who play this game notice the same thing? Pls note that this is not a problem of black level mismatch as I have no such issue with some other hdr games.
Every ubisoft game I've played in hdr on my ps4 pro has lifted black levels. I use 46 brightness on b7 oled for games with this issue. I'll list every game I've experienced raised black levels:
Rdr 2
Division 2
Ac odyssey
Ac origins
Tomb raider - the most recent one
Battlefront 2
Farcry 5 and the sequel
Death stranding (the only ps4 exclusive with issues despite using same engine as horizon, which has perfect inky black levels

You can set the ps4 to 1080p rgb hdr output and set black level to full on ps4 then limited on your display - causing crushed blacks for properly tuned games, but correcting the lifted blacks for these games. The negative is the output is only 1080p, but the positive is correct black levels without affecting your tv's brightness setting (as this can introduce banding and tonemapping errors)

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
Every ubisoft game I've played in hdr on my ps4 pro has lifted black levels. I use 46 brightness on b7 oled for games with this issue. I'll list every game I've experienced raised black levels:
Rdr 2
Division 2
Ac odyssey
Ac origins
Battlefront 2
Farcry 5 and the sequel
Death stranding (the only ps4 exclusive with issues despite using same engine as horizon, which has perfect inky black levels

I'm pretty sure most of these games, bar maybe RDR, display blacks as true black where appropriate. One shouldn't mistake added shadow detail over SDR for lifted blacks. That is, after all, one of the key benefits of HDR.

vmd12

Feb 18, 2020
Rdr 2
Division 2
Ac odyssey
Ac origins
Battlefront 2
Farcry 5 and the sequel

You can set the ps4 to 1080p rgb hdr output and set black level to full on ps4 then limited on your display - causing crushed blacks for properly tuned games, but correcting the lifted blacks for these games. The negative is the output is only 1080p, but the positive is correct black levels without affecting your tv's brightness setting (as this can introduce banding and tonemapping errors)
For games that have lifted black level, I usually only need to lower down the brightness by 1-5 notches (from the default 50). But Far Cry New Dawn requires lowering down to 37 to make that game fade to black (one of the methods to determine if the game has lifted black). That is too much imo and maybe the game crushes black at that level.

vmd12

Feb 18, 2020
I'm pretty sure most of these games, bar maybe RDR, display blacks as true black where appropriate. One shouldn't mistake added shadow detail over SDR for lifted blacks. That is, after all, one of the key benefits of HDR.
Nah. Most of those games never display true black. It's very easy to differentiate between added shadow details and lifted black.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

I don't think devs get this right a lot of the time though, I mean using elevated blacks when no light source is around, is just plain wrong, but elevated blacks are correct in say a scene where the moon is out and lighting up a room or something, I do find it annoying.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think devs get this right a lot of the time though, I mean using elevated blacks when no light source is around, is just plain wrong, but elevated blacks are correct in say a scene where the moon is out and lighting up a room or something, I do find it annoying.
That's just growing pains. I think it's best to assume issues like those you mentioned won't be ironed out until well into the next generation.

Nah. Most of those games never display true black. It's very easy to differentiate between added shadow details and lifted black.

I've the same set and don't recall lifted blacks being an issue across the board with the Assassin's Creed games. I haven't played every game you listed there, but I personally didn't feel the need to fiddle with the TV's brightness setting at any point to compensate for black level with the ones I have.

vmd12

Feb 18, 2020
I've the same set and don't recall lifted blacks being an issue across the board with the Assassin's Creed games. I haven't played every game you listed there, but I personally didn't feel the need to fiddle with the TV's brightness setting at any point to compensate for black level with the ones I have.

Do you play the game in a completely dark room? If not, some of the lifted black is hard to notice. I can confirm Assassin's Creed Origins has lifted black on pc. Very noticeable when you stand in pitch darkness inside a tomb without a torch. The whole screen is grey, indicating raised black.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
Do you play the game in a completely dark room? If not, some of the lifted black is hard to notice. I can confirm Assassin's Creed Origins has lifted black on pc. Very noticeable when you stand in pitch darkness inside a tomb without a torch. The whole screen is grey, indicating raised black.

I do play in a dark environment. I played Origins on a PS4 Pro and Odyssey on a X. And yeah, I do remember some of the tombs in Origins appearing as you described, but I don't recall that being a thing throughout the game, hence why I wrote 'across the board'. I could be misremembering, though. I just thought that was a color grading thing specific to some areas in the game.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm having weird issues with red dead redemption 2. It's like the gamma will suddenly drastically change and make the game washed out. I have had this issue on both console and PC. I dont know if its HDR related.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having weird issues with red dead redemption 2. It's like the gamma will suddenly drastically change and make the game washed out. I have had this issue on both console and PC. I dont know if its HDR related.

It is. Try lowering the paperwhite as low as you can tolerate, should help a good bit with the black levels.

AMDfanTO

Nov 8, 2017
Simply compare the sdr mode of these games. You'll see most of them also are set for a 2.2 gamma, when they should be the industry standard 2.35. The aforementioned games are poorly tuned in sdr and hdr modes. These are growing pains. Microsoft and Sony will iron out these kinks for next gen in their SDK's

Its ironic that when playing these games on calibrated display the image is either crushed (sdr) or washed out (hdr). This is despite each game having extensive options to adjust. The lifted blacks are an issue, and not intentional by the artists. Simply set to 1080p rgb hdr and mismatch the black levels to crush black - then try these games again. The blacks will be inky and proper without any extensive adjustments.

AMDfanTO

Nov 8, 2017
It is. Try lowering the paperwhite as low as you can tolerate, should help a good bit with the black levels.
Lowering paper white will only darken overall image, losing the hdr pop, while still leaving you with greyed black levels. Lowering the tv's internal brightness setting is the most reasonable solution for now. But due to tonemapping errors introduced by the tv by lowering the brightness (quantization errors like banding) the tv will crush some details. If resolution doesn't matter to you and near black level detail matters most, go to 1080p rgb hdr and mismatch the black levels for these games

I'm dumbfounded industry professionals haven't spoken to these issues, yet rave on about disney plus faking hdr for Star wars. Hdr is hdr if tuned by a colorist. My concern is that the black levels are being intentionally raised due to complaints of hdr being too dark. The hdr standard is now 203 nits for diffuse white, which will resolve any brightness issues - so raising black levels to brighten the image is a poor solution.

vmd12

Feb 18, 2020
If resolution doesn't matter to you and near black level detail matters most, go to 1080p rgb hdr and mismatch the black levels for these games
Is this advisable over lowering the tv's brightness though? Because mismatching black level will sure crush black in normal games. How it behaves in games with lifted black seems debatable. I will try this though with Far Cry New Dawn, which is a game that easily has the worst lifted black in hdr I've ever seen (lowering brightness doesn't help until a very low value, which seems to crush black altogether).

I'm playing on pc so I can set it to 4k rgb full 8bit in Nvidia Control Panel and set black level to low in tv's setting for the mismatch. I don't see much of a difference in hdr between 4k rgb full 8bit and 4k 422 limited 10bit so if the black level is corrected that way, I can still get proper 4k hdr experience.

vmd12

Feb 18, 2020
Started Blair Witch in hdr yesterday (on pc, oled c9). Lifted black also, very evident during splash screen intro with white text against supposedly black background (it is grey). Decreasing tv's brightness from the default 50 to 49 fixes it.

A bit off-topic: it says this game supports binaural but all I get is very stereo-ish audio (left-right-center imaging with small soundstage). Any idea?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
EvilBoris

How would you go about with the settings in State of Decay 2?

HDR Brightness. It doesn't show numbers, so I'm lost here.

HDR Max Brightness. Same story.

Gamma. This is probably fine in the middle.

But what to do with the first two when using a C9?

vmd12

Feb 18, 2020
Started Blair Witch in hdr yesterday (on pc, oled c9). Lifted black also, very evident during splash screen intro with white text against supposedly black background (it is grey). Decreasing tv's brightness from the default 50 to 49 fixes it.
A bit of an update: decreasing tv's brightness to 49 gives true black, but in some dark scenes it just looks wrong. Bringing brightness back to 50 makes those scenes look right again. This proves that decreasing brightness and getting true black are not always the right solution since the hdr mastering of the game matters too. This sucks for oled users.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
No HDR controls in the FF7 Remake demo aside from an UI brightness slider. Looks like a 1000 nit title.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed, HDR looks really good in FF7. There's lights everywhere and they look great.

However... the FMVs I'm not so sure of. The intro FMV looked a bit washed out, like maybe it was SDR converted to HDR. They also sported some noticeable color banding, especially at the start with Aerith crouched down. Things seemed to instantly improve on both fronts when the game transitioned to realtime (after the screen fills with smoke on the train arrival).

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Do we know if FFVII is using the PS4's built-in HDR settings in lieu of its own settings? I had never messed with the system-level HDR settings before, and when I launched the demo for the first time I got a message telling me to set up my system HDR settings first.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Do we know if FFVII is using the PS4's built-in HDR settings in lieu of its own settings? I had never messed with the system-level HDR settings before, and when I launched the demo for the first time I got a message telling me to set up my system HDR settings first.

Didn't get that message in the demo and I did set up the PS4 built in HDR before so I guess so.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Indeed, HDR looks really good in FF7. There's lights everywhere and they look great.

However... the FMVs I'm not so sure of. The intro FMV looked a bit washed out, like maybe it was SDR converted to HDR. They also sported some noticeable color banding, especially at the start with Aerith crouched down. Things seemed to instantly improve on both fronts when the game transitioned to realtime (after the screen fills with smoke on the train arrival).

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the CG looked pretty bad, I understand that scene is CG for the big Midgar panning shot but I hope they are keep to a mininum. CG are barely needed anymore.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Yeah, the difference between ingame and washed out CG was very noticeable. They better fix that for the full game.
What about the CG cutscenes in FFXV? Weren't those okay?

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the difference between ingame and washed out CG was very noticeable. They better fix that for the full game.
What about the CG cutscenes in FFXV? Weren't those okay?
i just finished ff15 on x1x an yes: the cg looked good. much better than the cg in the ff7 demo (no artifacts, cleaner, sharper, despite 1080p).

_Gandour_

Banned
Dec 7, 2017

Probably compressed for demo size reasons

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For gaming, is a Samsung Q60 a good upgrade from a NU7100 if I can find it at a good price? My selection of TVs here in Brazil is a little limited.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I know 100% that it does because I haven't used my PS4 Pro in a long while and it had me go through calibrating HDR at a system level upon loading up the demo.

The HDR is spectacular, despite the prerendered cutscenes not living up to real-time HDR. The specular highlights are amazing on a bright TV like the 2018 Vizio P-Series Quantum.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
God, y'alls impressions of the HDR are really making me envious with my LG B7 over here. It's not that HDR appears poor on the set, but it certainly didn't pop the way so many of you are describing.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
God, y'alls impressions of the HDR are really making me envious with my LG B7 over here. It's not that HDR appears poor on the set, but it certainly didn't pop the way so many of you are describing.

its gonna be that 4000nit tonemap on the C7 that Dims down the game's fixed 1000nit output