• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
Anyone else completely frustrated with the Division 2 and it's lack of calibrating pictures for HDR and all of it's brightness/contrast settings? I mean I applaud Massive for giving us lots of sliders to tinker with but not including calibration pictures is super frustrating. I have no idea where to set everything to get the best picture possible.

Yeah I have exactly the same problem. I have no idea what to set my C6 to without calibration pictures.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone have recommended brightness / HDR settings for an LG B7 OLED? Whenever I"m in indoor missions everything is so incredibly dark it's hard to see things.

I"m on a Q9FN and using:

Brightness - 10
Sharpening - 2
Contrast - 15
HDR Peak - 1300
HDR UI - 400

Basically, I moved HDR up to the point where the blooming starting clipping cloud detail and backed if off slightly. And then I punched up contrast one because I thought the game looked a little flat in the beta.

Oct 25, 2017
I"m on a Q9FN and using:

Brightness - 10
Sharpening - 2
Contrast - 15
HDR Peak - 1300
HDR UI - 400

Basically, I moved HDR up to the point where the blooming starting clipping cloud detail and backed if off slightly. And then I punched up contrast one because I thought the game looked a little flat in the beta.

You bumped up contrast? Weird. Mine defaults to 15.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I know EvilBoris said that adjusting paper white towards 200 is more correct for ubi games and just in general . I am thinking is the same apply to RE 7 too? Since its an older title with hdr

Last edited:

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm crazy, but forced YCPBR 422, 12bit looks completely broken in both Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 7.

In RE7 it looks obscenely dark. I changed my TV settings for color space from Limited to High and saw that there was actually a ton of color information getting crushed in limited mode. So RE7 is in HDR, with those forced settings above, but still outputting colors at 0-255.

It's strange that both RE2 (Washed out) and RE7 (Too dark) look messed up in different ways. The absolute strangest part is that with forced settings above, in Hitman 2 it looks absolutely excellent.

LG C6, pre-HDR Game Mode nerf patch.

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
So what are the final recommended settings for HDR in NVCP with a LG C7?

I'm currently using 4:2:2 @ 12 bit, but know the panel is only 10bit.

Should I be selecting 10 bit?

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
For Division 2 settings after much tweaking I settled on:

Brightness: 5
Sharpening: 2
Contrast: 17
HDR Peak Brightness: 1300 (this corresponds to my tv peak brightness)
UI elements: 300

This may be a little too soft for some but I dislike the noisiness of artificially sharpened image.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
12 bit 4:2:2 is not recommended on my Samsung ks8000 as it has errors so 10 bit 4:2:2 is the way to go.

I wish we already had enough bandwidth for 4k@60fps rgb I hate reducing any quality settings.

PowerK

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
For Division 2 settings after much tweaking I settled on:

Brightness: 5
Sharpening: 2
Contrast: 17
HDR Peak Brightness: 1300 (this corresponds to my tv peak brightness)
UI elements: 300

This may be a little too soft for some but I dislike the noisiness of artificially sharpened image.
Thanks for sharing. I'll try those.
What platform are you playing on? And what TV/monitor are you using with?

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
Are you planning to check out Sekiro, EvilBoris ? The feedback in the performance thread is not very exciting, so far...

Edit: I have just played the tutorial mission on PC. HDR needs to be activated by Alt+Tab. Not sure about HDR settings though. You can adjust brightness, Peak brightness and saturation. To me, default looks a bit washed out and I turned brightness down to 3, set Peak to 1400 (Sony XE93).

Edit: I don't know. I switched into SDR mode and it looks better to me. More vibrant and even the highlights are brighter. Has anybody tried Sekiro HDR?

Last edited:
OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I just booted it this morning. My first impression is that it Seems very flat

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
Are you planning to check out Sekiro, EvilBoris ? The feedback in the performance thread is not very exciting, so far...

Edit: I have just played the tutorial mission on PC. HDR needs to be activated by Alt+Tab. Not sure about HDR settings though. You can adjust brightness, Peak brightness and saturation. To me, default looks a bit washed out and I turned brightness down to 3, set Peak to 1400 (Sony XE93).

Edit: I don't know. I switched into SDR mode and it looks better to me. More vibrant and even the highlights are brighter. Has anybody tried Sekiro HDR?

Where do you adjust HDR brightness settings? I don't see any options for brightness, peak brightness, and saturation.

Oct 25, 2017
The peak brightness slider in Sekiro does nothing on my end for the picture. However, I do prefer the HDR mode with saturation turned up a bit as the blacks seem darker. Then again, only an hour or so in.

Dyelon

Oct 26, 2017

HDR is broken in this game just like it is in Red Dead 2 and Spider-man but its the good kind of broken because it can be corrected (unlike games like Monster hunter world/PUBG/DMC5 where disabling HDR entirely is the best option). This is how I got Sekiro looking incredible on my LG 65 C7 OLED TV, but it should work for other setups too:

-Make sure HDR is enabled

-Go to Display/Brightness options

-Turn "Luminance" to 2000

-Turn "Brightness" to 8

-***most important part***On Your Television display settings not game itself*** Bump "Color" setting on TV to 100

Check out how much more vibrant the grass is, the flaming torches are, and scratch marking on the cliff edges.

Also, feel free to tweak. The brightness might be better on 7 for you, or the Color setting on TV might look better around 85-90 for you. But I definitely feel these tweaks make the HDR much, MUCH better and elevate the game's presentation to that next level.

Let me know what you guys think.

Dyelon

Oct 26, 2017
The peak brightness slider in Sekiro does nothing on my end for the picture. However, I do prefer the HDR mode with saturation turned up a bit as the blacks seem darker. Then again, only an hour or so in.

Try boosting the in game brightness and your TV's color setting a bit and see if it looks better. It helped me achieve a stunning picture.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, getting RDR2 vibes from Sekiro's HDR. Some of the bright highlights look impressive but everything else feels washed out. I'll be playing in SDR until some further analysis can offer some better recommendations.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, getting RDR2 vibes from Sekiro's HDR. Some of the bright highlights look impressive but everything else feels washed out. I'll be playing in SDR until some further analysis can offer some better recommendations.

I've been messing around with it and have currently put my settings to 2000 peak brightness, and 8 for brightness and 8 for saturation. The HDR is definitely funky, but I prefer the picture in HDR on my set with those settings to the SDR picture. But its hard because I'm just picking spots in early levels and comparing the two, so I don't really know what's happening behind the scenes as opposed to what I prefer in front of me.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
I think I figured out Sekiro's HDR for my setup (LG B8 connected to PC 1080ti). First I needed to set my TV input mode to "PC". In the Nvidia control panel I set output color format to RGB, color depth to 8 bit, output range to full, resolution to 4k 60hz. I tried every combination of format/range/depth and the key thing seems to be if I don't set the range to full, all the other combinations would end up with the game looking more washed out in HDR mode than the regular SDR mode. I tried shit for like an hour and a half, every combination of settings, all sorts of alt tabbing, and this is the best it's looked.

Based on what I've seen, I can see why some people are saying it looks better in SDR mode, because they are situations where it was that way for me as well.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
A bit interesting that the nit adjustment in Sekiro doesn't have any effect at all on pc. Going from 500 to 2000 produces zero change on my b7.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Same here on ps4. Nits 500-2000 show no difference so I just left it at 1000.

Maxed out brightness as hdr game mode due to lg b7 tone mapping making it "dim"

What is saturation actually doing? Is that like adjusting color setting in your tv settings?

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017

Maxed out brightness as hdr game mode due to lg b7 tone mapping making it "dim"

What is saturation actually doing? Is that like adjusting color setting in your tv settings?

Seems like it, things start to look really weird the further you go away from 5.

I left brightness at 5, supposedly pc actually feeds tvs a 1000 nit value, so it's sort of like having a linker built in. I would love to get my hands on the console version to compare.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've been digging deep.

PC HDR is such a pain in the ass. This one is misbehaving constantly, booting in HDR, but not triggering HDR to the TV unless I alt yah. Sometimes boost the saturation really high and other times not .

I have learned that the game uses the old Reinhard tonemapping operator, which isn't really reccomended for HDR displays, this might explain why it looks a little off.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I've been digging deep.

PC HDR is such a pain in the ass. This one is misbehaving constantly, booting in HDR, but not triggering HDR to the TV unless I alt yah. Sometimes boost the saturation really high and other times not .

I have learned that the game uses the old Reinhard tonemapping operator, which isn't really reccomended for HDR displays, this might explain why it looks a little off.

Looking forward to your results. I'm only noticing a difference in the sun and fire/scultors idol when toggling hdr on and off.

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
I think I figured out Sekiro's HDR for my setup (LG B8 connected to PC 1080ti). First I needed to set my TV input mode to "PC". In the Nvidia control panel I set output color format to RGB, color depth to 8 bit, output range to full, resolution to 4k 60hz. I tried every combination of format/range/depth and the key thing seems to be if I don't set the range to full, all the other combinations would end up with the game looking more washed out in HDR mode than the regular SDR mode. I tried shit for like an hour and a half, every combination of settings, all sorts of alt tabbing, and this is the best it's looked.

I have tried changing it to RGB full 8 bit but I can't say I see much of a difference, if at all. I do not have a PC mode, on my TV, though. Thanks for sharing anyway.
As of now I will stick to SDR mode. Still hoping for solutions/looking for suggestions to fix HDR ;)

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
A bit interesting that the nit adjustment in Sekiro doesn't have any effect at all on pc. Going from 500 to 2000 produces zero change on my b7.

I can see a difference going from 500 to 1000 (XE93) where it seems to max out for me but it still doesn't seem very bright compared to peak brightness in AC, for example.

SpectR0nn

Jan 6, 2018
Two things then. Put the backlight back to 100 for HDR. This is a must. Part of the way HDR works is controlling the backlight and it needs to be able to go full on for HDR. Yes you'd never put it on 100 for SDR, but you HAVE to have it at 100 for HDR to work properly.

Secondly if you want to use the TV in lower light situations just spend £10/$10 on a strip of USB LED lights and stick them on the back of the TV. Bias lighting does wonders - not just for contrast levels - but it's also good for your eyes. Set the local dimming to high, drop it to medium if you run into issues. This TV is easily bright enough that it doesn't need pitch darkness for good HDR.

But the main thing I think from your post is put the backlight back to 100 in HDR. Otherwise your HDR won't work. (BTW in Dolby Vision it is set to 50 - because they work differently).

Hope that helps.
HDR backlight should be set at 100.

SDR is another story (I use 60 in my OLED) but leave HDR at 100, otherwise you are missing out on the true HDR capabilities of your display.

Late reply from my part, but thanks guys! This really made a big difference!

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
I am luving The Division 2's HDR,with much colors and some effects being almost blinding bright with my 1080 ti/Z9D.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Played Sekiro for a bit on PC. Looks like a "tame" implementation of HDR but not broken. Need to play more.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
How do you guys set The Division 2 brightness on OLED? I have tried 5 and 10, love the 20 setting for some highlights but it turns nights too bright overall.

Rmborich15

Mar 19, 2019
Hi all new memeber here, I am looking at some good settings to set my hdr in the division 2 currently have an Xbox one x running on a Samsung q8f. Been messing with the brightness and contrast constantly.

Usually most my games are set up nice and quickly and looks spot on usually but I can help but feel it's a bit odd.

Oct 25, 2017
How does one find out the typical peak brightness of a TV? I picked up a Vizio P65-F1 and I'm not sure what to set the peak brightness to in a game like Division 2 without any reference image.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does one find out the typical peak brightness of a TV? I picked up a Vizio P65-F1 and I'm not sure what to set the peak brightness to in a game like Division 2 without any reference image.

What I recommend is looking outside a door from inside a building (while it is sunny) and mess with the slider while looking at the highlight. You should be able to easily find out what your set tonemaps to as you'll eventually notice the slider no longer changing anything. Make sure you start from all the way to the left of the slider!

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to your results. I'm only noticing a difference in the sun and fire/scultors idol when toggling hdr on and off.
Same here. It's like they slapped the SDR image as is into the HDR range then only chose the sun and torches to make use of the extra brightness. If you have the sun in view and push the slider from 500 to 2000, the tiny circle that represents the sun is the only thing that will change in brightness.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
LG OLED users on pc, what are your hdr settings for sekiro so far? Seems tricky to get the brightness/ saturation right :/

I know there is a bug and once you launch the game you have to alt tab out and back in for HDR to enable correctly.

I'm mostly using default settings I think the peak brightness is at max.

If people know better settings would love to know.

Oct 28, 2017
I know there is a bug and once you launch the game you have to alt tab out and back in for HDR to enable correctly.

I'm mostly using default settings I think the peak brightness is at max.

If people know better settings would love to know.

Played a bit more and settled with brightness at 3, max luminance and saturation at 7, looks pretty good and I'm happy with it.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Playing Sekiro in a B8 and PS4 Pro.

In-game default settings, looks fantastic IMO, colorful, no raised blacks, highlighs look great.

Oct 25, 2017
Folks might scoff at this but I have my settings currently at 10 brightness, 8 saturation and 1000 peak brightness in Sekiro.

It's much more colorful but not in a bad way. I prefer the look tbh, and usually I hate having popping color.

Last edited: