• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PcPlasticFuzz

Nov 4, 2017
Hello all,

First thread ever for me. I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed a difference between the HDR on PS4 Pro and X1X. Specifically in terms of brightness?

I have an LG OLED B7 (2017) and recently got an Xbox one X. I don't think the Xbox one X pops as well as the PS4 Pro? Forza Horizon 4 for example just seems a bit dim compared to PS4 games like GT Sport.

I've played with the in-game settings and the dashboard settings and even copied the TV settings from my PS4 input to the Xbox's input but nothing seems to get that same pop as PS4.

Is it just me or has anyone else experience of this?

Thank you.

EDIT: I tried Destiny 2 on both and there was a noticeable difference between the two.

Last edited:

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I think most likely it will just be differing mastering approaches taken by developers.

Gt sport does have one of the best hdr implementations to date that I've seen though.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Try the same game on both? Must be a few demos or free to play games you can use.

Then you'll know if you missed a setting somewhere.

OP
OP

PcPlasticFuzz

Nov 4, 2017
Thankyou 2Blackcats sorry I should of mentioned I tried Destiny 2 on both and there was a noticeable difference in brightness.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Thankyou 2Blackcats sorry I should of mentioned I tried Destiny 2 on both and there was a noticeable difference in brightness.

Destiny 2 is a huge pain in the ass to make look right in HDR. You may want to try a different game. One thing to make sure of is that you leave brightness on default in the game before switching and changing HDR settings. Then you have to ignore one of the settings or it will be completely off. ugh. Worst game to get right haha

Jun 17, 2018
Gears 5 looks absolutely insane on the One X from an HDR perspective and I really enjoyed God of Wars HDR implementation which was more subtle from what I remember.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've never seen any differences when I've done my testing, which is to be expected. Black should be black and white should be white etc.
Even in mutliplatform games the output should be the same. (the surge 2 was the only one where I've seen a difference, but that was a bug that was patched)

Destiny has an extra brightness control that you can get to more easily on PS4 (it is only active when HDR is turned off) but otherwise the outputs should be the same.

As a note, Forza might make it seem like you should turn the brightness down, I can't imagine that on the B7 you would want it any lower than 50.
HDR whitepoint should end up at around 4000 for you.
IMG20180916061756.jpg.41e4e5c8c7e261e78170f5fcb42de462.jpg

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
I love FH4 but it's not a particularly great implementation/showcase of HDR. I have a Pro, One X, and LG C8, haven't noticed any significant difference between them; the biggest variance seems to be how the development implemented HDR. Shadow of the Tomb Raider with HDR + true Atmos audio on my One X was incredible.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Evilboris thank you very much I will try those settings. Much appreciated!

4000 and 50 is what I'd say for Forza for you

For Destiny I would disable HDR in the OS and go into game and change brightness to maybe 6 or 7.
Turn HDr on again (reboot the game)
BlackPoint setting needs to be exactly in the middle
Whitepoint setting I would suggest you just move that to the very brightest option on the B7 (I can't remember if it's left or right)