• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
While we have been getting a lot of info about the next-gen consoles lately, there's one topic that has yet to be adressed: HDMI 2.1.

featuresupport-100743741-orig-720x720.png

Since we expect these machines to be a significant jump from the PS4 and the One, everyone assumed they would support HDMI 2.1 (especially since Sony wants to push 8k or whatever), however, we're getting closer and closer to the release of the consoles with less than 13 months left, and yet this feature has yet to be confirmed by either party. These new consoles must be as futureproof as possible and they absolutely should try to avoid a no-HDMI 360 situation again, but with them going all out in other specs, I do wonder if HDMI 2.1 is one of the features they cut to be able to hit a pricetag... What do you think?

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are supporting resolutions that can only hit those marks with 2.1

I wouldn't worry about it.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It has tho? They've said it'll support 8k60 which can't be done on 2.0b

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Very few concrete technical details have been announced so far. I certainly wouldn't expect that to be one of the first things detailed, a year prior to launch.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Wait, where did that features list come from? I know eARC is supported on 2.0 devices, 2.1 is not a requirement.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth pointing out that a lot of the features of various HDMI specifications can be implemented in software, even if it's not certified for HDMI 2.1. The PS3 supported 3D over its HDMI 1.3 ports and the XB1 supports VRR with HDMI 2.0, for example.

But considering that HDMI 2.1 exists now and this hardware is a year or more away, boasting features from that spec, I'm sure they'll come with official support.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Are we next-gen consoles even support HDMI? They haven't confirmed it. For all we know they could use RGB SCART.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean the x already supports 2.1, by the time nextgen comes out it will be standerd, dont wory.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Neither one has been confirmed as working with 60Hz/110v power, either. We'll get all the relevant details before it's time to pre-order, rest assured. As many others have pointed out, they've both highlighted features that require HDMI 2.1 to deliver, so I think it's safe to assume that's where they're headed.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Neither one has been confirmed as working with 60Hz/110v power, either. We'll get all the relevant details before it's time to pre-order, rest assured. As many others have pointed out, they've both highlighted features that require HDMI 2.1 to deliver, so I think it's safe to assume that's where they're headed.
That's actually... kinda weird. Maybe the hole in the PS5 is to insert a battery and have it be semi-portable?

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Like others have said, both have announced 8k support that's only possible through 2.1.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's obviously going to support HDMI 2.1 since they've already announced 8K support.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
8K support is possible only thanks to that newest HDMI norm, and that's why they are namedropping resolutions up to that.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
I wouldn't worry about it. These machines need to last X amount of years. The fact 8k is mentioned by both vendors kind of confirms.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They will have 2.1, this isn''t something they'd talk about at this point and it is silly to think that they wouldn't anyway -- the xbox has already attempted some 2.1 feature and Sony has an interest in selling TVs. It's not like this is a major cost

"Less than 13 months" is an interesting way of saying "over a year"

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
Just like HDR, Sony can backport most of the features they want at a later point, as long as they have the throughput capacity.

If you announce support for HDMI 2.1, you're going to get asked for a checklist of every single feature in that list.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Games will be still 30fps so VRR is not going to be that gamechanger thing. Still, they'll surelly habe 2.1.

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Deliver next gen gfx or Unique experience. Dont care about a slightly upgrade again.

Oct 25, 2017
On that note, they haven't confirmed whether there will be ethernet ports or wifi in the next-gen consoles. Starting to get worried over here.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
It will at the very least have some aspects of HDMI 2.1 if not full support. But don't worry, the mid-gen refresh will 100% have full HDMI 2.1 support!

Jan 2, 2018
HDMI 2.1 bring too many necessary improvements that devices that will last for a min of 6 years will absolutely need. Rest assured both will support it.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Games will be still 30fps so VRR is not going to be that gamechanger thing. Still, they'll surelly habe 2.1.

VRR even at equal frames like strobing has a better image than 30fps with a typical sync.

Doesn't need to be a game changer. Especially when next gen we still get frame rate dips.

I would just like better standards on consoles.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Isn't that a given already?? Wouldn't make sense at all not to.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Xbox One X already supports a lot of HDMI2.1 features: ALLM/VRR/4K120

I would be shocked if the next Xbox doesn't.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
There is a bunch of stuff we have no info on about next gen. I wonder why hdmi 2.1 needs to be worried about 13 months out. That's a lifetime to get relevant info out when planned.