• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's not an issue with the Xbox, it's an with the receiver which can't deal with the HDMI 2.1 standard of DSC.

I should have edited my post after I finished watching the video. I'm glad I haven't replaced my reciever yet, I'll probably wait until 2022 once we know the Denon's don't have this issue the Series X.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I keep finding DSC described as "visually" lossless, which just sounds like spin for lossy.

When people record audio, they filter out all the signals above 20 kHz or so, because that's about the limit of human hearing. Technically this is a form of lossy compression, but you are only losing parts of the signal you can't hear anyway. It might be audibly lossy to your dog, but not to you.

It seems plausible enough that image compression be lossy, but visually indistinguishable.

GlacialTruffle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When people record audio, they filter out all the signals above 20 kHz or so, because that's about the limit of human hearing. Technically this is a form of lossy compression, but you are only losing parts of the signal you can't hear anyway. It might be audibly lossy to your dog, but not to you.

It seems plausible enough that image compression be lossy, but visually indistinguishable.
Audio can exceed what we can perceive, but I don't believe TVs have exceeded our range of vision.

But why use a lossy compression when the bandwidth is there not to?
My guess is that DSC may be necessary to enable 8K60. Since 8K is 4x the resolution of 4K, 8K60 would need as much bandwidth as 4K240.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Audio can exceed what we can perceive, but I don't believe TVs have exceeded our range of vision.

But why use a lossy compression when the bandwidth is there not to?
My guess is that DSC may be necessary to enable 8K60. Since 8K is 4x the resolution of 4K, 8K60 would need as much bandwidth as 4K240.

If the chip is capable of 40GBPS, I would assume that using DSC is simply ensuring stability for users, who are bound to not use the correct cable, want to use a cable longer than what is in the box etc.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
All very interesting but a infuriatingly complicated "standard" is HDMI now. So the chip in the AV amps and PS5 is a Panasonic/Nuvoton but what brand chip is in the XSX?

Oct 27, 2017
...and here I was like a fool hoping that all this shit would get simpler for people to enjoy and not more complex.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
This is why you wait a few years for any new ish tech if you don't want headaches, still quite a bit to work out with hdmi 2.1

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

It isn't solely about the range of what the eye can perceive, it's about the entire visual system, including your brain's processing of images.

Imagine you have two copies of a 4K image. You add a different pattern of completely random noise to them (think film grain). If you were shown the two images side-by-side and went pixel by pixel with a magnifying glass, you could see all the differences between the two.

However if you were shown the two full images one after another, they would look the same to your brain, because it is not trained to distinguish between noise patterns (and is arguably adapted to ignore them as much as possible).

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The Xbox Series uses Display Stream Compression (DSC), a lossless way of obtaining its HDMI 40gbps datarate. PlayStation 5 achieves an HDMI datarate of 32gbs, which is achieved by using a Fixed Link Rate (FRL). The Xbox achieves a better fidelity image (full 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 Chroma Subsampling on the PS5), but it seems 2020 AVR systems have a hardware incompatibility and are unable to resolve the signal from devices that output a full DSC signal, in this case the Xbox Series).

In my experience, using ARC introduces audio latency. You can use optical output from your TV and send it to your AVR. It won't support the lossless surround formats that a direct HDMI connection to your AVR can provide but it will have the same capabilities that ARC has (with no audio latency to boot).

Yep. To elaborate: ARC (not eARC) is practically identical to optical in regards to audio support (uncompressed stereo or compressed surround sound), albeit with the additional downside of introducing extra audio latency.

eARC, while compatible with additional audio formats, still suffers from audio latency issues as you mentioned. Plus, not all TVs are able to export all audio formats via eARC either (e.g. the LG CX is unable to output DTS:X via eARC; this is due to the limited EDIF size, the metadata that accompanies an HDMI signal).

So to conclude: I would usually recommend connecting your console directly to your AVR system... But with the current state of 2020 AVR systems, you will have to either sacrifice something in the process whether you connect the system directly to your display or to the AVR system. So unfortunately, there is no correct answer (other than "wait to see what 2021 offers").
This is all incredibly frustrating . I have an anthem 1120 hooked up to an Atmos system and no desire to replace it.

Hopefully an hdmi audio splitter that supports 4k/120 will hit the market in due course.

gzell60

Oct 26, 2017
Munich
With all these new standards and features, this gen is definitely much less "plug and play" than previous generations.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
The 55" LG C9 was around $1200 at the end of last year. So yeah, it's a higher end set, but we are not talking about something that is only being bought by Saudi princes.
Definitely, I agree. Just seems like there's always some kinks that have to be worked out though initially because there's so many variables at play

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Let me get this straight... If I buy an LG CX next month, with the LG Soundbar thingy they throw in as a bundle, and hook up my S or get an X, does it fucks something up with the image? Can I have surround and 4k120hz? (Well I guess not from my 2070 super for now.)

GlacialTruffle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Let me get this straight... If I buy an LG CX next month, with the LG Soundbar thingy they throw in as a bundle, and hook up my S or get an X, does it fucks something up with the image? Can I have surround and 4k120hz? (Well I guess not from my 2070 super for now.)
The problem in this video applies to people who pass their signal through an HDMI 2.1 receiver, which can be avoided with eARC.

If you use a receiver/sound bar with eARC, then you can connect the console straight to the TV, and the receiver to a different (eARC) HDMI port and get full-quality sound.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
The problem in this video applies to people who pass their signal through an HDMI 2.1 receiver, which can be avoided with eARC.

If you use a receiver/sound bar with eARC, then you can connect the console straight to the TV, and the receiver to a different (eARC) HDMI port and get full-quality sound.
This is what I'm doing. I have a PS5 connected to my new Sony 900H and then have eARC out to a Sony DH790. The TV passes my other devices (cable box and PC) to the receiver as well.

It's pretty nice. I can control the PS5 UI and media with my TV remote.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I have a Samsung Q90T TV and a Samsung HW-Q70T Atmos sound bar and I had vicious audio lag when playing any game with Atmos enabled. I was able to fix is by putting my tv in pass through mode. Both devices support eArc.
I tried bypass on CX but it made no difference. I also tried my Blu-ray player with atmos through eArc and don't get any lag. No idea what's going on but it it only happens on Series X.