• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
Right, the number they should add is however many teams would benefit the scene by their addition.

If you've got some good teams from the ground floor, let them in. If orgs like TL and 100T come from out of nowhere and want in, add them too! Not at the expense of those who've been grinding.
That is the part that bothers me. They're not doing right by orgs that have been sticking with Halo even when HCS was in a pretty rough spot. 343 really dropped the ball with the last year of H5 and then the half-hearted MCC tournaments that they did. They should be thanking teams like Pioneers for sticking around and extending every chance they get to show gratitude.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I would very much like to be a fly on the wall at Microsoft's end of things when it comes to discussions around Halo/343. I can't imagine they are happy.

Gave them SIX years, including the seriously painful decision to essentially have no launch title for their console to give them one of those years. Look at at the work some of their studios manage to do in half that time. And this is the studio that is supposed to be the tip of their spear - the managers of their big crown jewel IP, purpose built for that task. Have yet to release a game that wasn't either missing major components, broken, or had the studio tripping on it's own dick in other ways.

Sometimes I wonder if it's Microsoft's fault due to their policies around contract workers and stuff, but then I remember those studios who manage just fine.
At first i understood that covid affected development and that they had to take that christmas vacaction. It's been 7 months now and we only got one new multiplayer map for ranked play (which sucks btw). Truly embarrasing. I'll take forge maps at this point.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
At first i understood that covid affected development and that they had to take that christmas vacaction. It's been 7 months now and we only got one new multiplayer map for ranked play (which sucks btw). Truly embarrasing. I'll take forge maps at this point.

COVID certainly has had impacts on everyone - but that's just it: it's impacted everyone. And yet you can look around and see all kinds of studios delivering more in much less than 6 years. Hell it'll be 7 years if you count the time until they finally put Forge into the game and it's considered "complete" for what was supposed to be there at launch.

If Playground release Fable by the end of 2024, they'll probably have managed to not only make a game in a genre they've never done before in the same amount of time, they'll have also upgraded their core engine for it AND managed to hire up and get a new studio off the ground in the same period of time. Leaks of PGG being in early pre-prod for a Fable game started in 2018. And they'll have done it during the same pandemic.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's skin revenue, travel considerations and some other behind the scenes support that we don't know too much about.

Also, is the EU scene dying? Valencia had the most viewers for an EU event ever, by a huge margin
I can only really accurately tell from being involved in the community of my own country and occasionally checking rankings on the Halotracker website. But there is honestly barely anyone left. The upper tier of players that we see at the tournaments obviously stuck around. But all other teams are dropping like flies. Those weekly HCS Open tournaments were reaching upwards of 300 teams at the start, but they were struggling to even reach 80 teams when I last participated in around december. And I dread to see the numbers if these tournaments are still around.

Regarding the viewer numbers, it's anecdotal but I know plenty of people who tuned in who don't play anymore to see some familiar names and faces. Same for me. But I'd suspect that if there was a quick followup tourney we'd see a significant decrease in viewer numbers.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
This Mexico regional is off to a great start.

2 hour delay, audio issues, caster cams freezing. Can't wait for all the mid-match drops that will inevitably happen.

Gonna be a twitch drop and dip sorta tournament. lol

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Add the whole stream freezing as well, can't believe things are still this bad. Definitely a drop then stop day today.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This Mexico regional is off to a great start.

2 hour delay, audio issues, caster cams freezing. Can't wait for all the mid-match drops that will inevitably happen.

Gonna be a twitch drop and dip sorta tournament. lol

Lmao.

Conspiracy theory time: HCS told all these teams they werent selected so the orgs would leave halo and the new orgs could swoop in and put a top 12 squad together.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
There's also an Arbiter emblem drop for watching co-streamers that I didn't see mentioned elsewhere:

XHs26AK.png

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Been watching the HCS stream for almost an hour and it's just been commercials and HCS clips

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't even bothered with trying to watch today because honestly I'm both pretty checked out from Infinite and the scene at large + the smaller Halo scenes are harder to be more invested in, even on the best of days.

Going off what you all have mentioned in the thread(s), seems like it's business as usual.

Coming into Infinite they were seemingly saying and doing all the right things to help build the esports scene for Halo. But I guess we shouldn't be too shocked things have gone the way they have sadly.

Just so frustrating lmao and all you can do is laugh. When will enough be enough and shit get straightened out around this IP? Ever?

Oct 31, 2017
It's conspiratorial, but with how there's "always something" surrounding this game/esports scene one has to start asking questions like:

"Is it incompetence? Or is it malevolence/deliberate sabotage somewhere? Or is 'do the barest of minimums' the business-wide philosophy?"

It gets super old constantly moaning about this for me and those who read/hear it I'm sure lol, but damn man. It is just the most stunningly puzzling shit. They are sitting on a fucking golden goose yet the ways things constantly go it's like they treat it as if it's a rubber duckie. And you just have to go WHY????

How is there not somebody, somewhere with some kind of influence/power raising some kind of huge shit fit over how things have gone with this IP, in particular its constant struggles in its esports space? Is it a bunch of people walking on eggshells just not wanting to rock to boat(s)/hold people's feet to the fire? I just wish I knew.

ph1l0z0ph3r

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly just feels like incompetence all around from 343. It's crazy because the game plays so good and would be a great eSports game if they had an actual plan or took it seriously. On top of that I don't see anyone that isn't watching already tuning in to watch Team Liquid or 100T if they come into the scene like how fucking ridiculous is that thought. I'm a fan of both those teams from League but I have never had any interest in any of their other teams unless it was a game I was already playing and I would wager most people feel the same. Crazy because I actually like Pioneers and Acend and it kind of makes me not want to watch anymore due to them being passed over teams who aren't even in the HCS scene at all. Why get invested in the Halo eSports world if the players you like aren't eating or enjoying it? I see the HCS scene collapsing after Worlds when the players realize they can go put in that time into another game that has a healthy scene and better payouts without all the bullshit surrounding Infinite.

That new Faze team sounds wild though.

Oct 31, 2017
It's just the fact that there's always something hamstringing things, and it's typically a revolving door of issues.

I will say that the scene HAS been better during Infinite compared to H5 in terms of downtime/technical problems, but the issues are still way too prevalent IMHO. Partnering with the former MLG guys in Esports Engine as their tournament operator was a good decision, that's definitely been a good improvement.

Just the simple fact that each event has had pretty big matches have disconnects at extremely inopportune times is enough to extremely hurt the integrity. It'd be like being a fan of the NFL, yet each weekend they have issues with tracking scores/keeping time. Or they lose the footballs/equipment. Or the power constantly goes out in the stadiums to delay scheduled games by hours. Or the television feeds cut out or some shit. Idk. Just that there's too many obvious problems at too high of a frequency that you just scratch your head, as if shit's just cursed. But that's not an explanation.

IMHO Halo should be the gold standard for all of this stuff, they have the corporate backing and Intellectual Property to do it, but instead it feels second rate and is frustrating.

To me, Halo should be THE premier competitive esport and should get the resources and talent to where issues are extremely minimal/infrequent, rather than highly noticeable and constant.

Last edited:

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I will say that the scene HAS been better during Infinite compared to H5 in terms of downtime/technical problems, but the issues are still way too prevalent IMHO. Partnering with the former MLG guys in Esports Engine as their tournament operator was a good decision, that's definitely been a good improvement.

I dont remember h5 being this busted, although it looks like this isnt 343, or at least the games fault.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Not HCS related, but Valorant is also having an issue with tons of orgs being denied partnership. The difference is most of them seem to be leaving valorant altogether as a result

winkerstein

May 5, 2020
North America
Yeah hopefully 343 stays on track with the open nature of he HCS, because in Valorants case with franchising the 3rd party orgs won't even compete against the pros teams. Franchising needs to stay out of Halo

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Bruh, why do so many people in twitch chat need to disclose how far their % is to obtaining the twitch drop.

Holy fuck, no one gives a shit. lol

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bruh, why do so many people in twitch chat need to disclose how far their % is to obtaining the twitch drop.

Holy fuck, no one gives a shit. lol

43%

but seriously, why is there a 30 minute wait between matches. it should be like 5 minutes to let the people setup their settings. warmups should be backstage in a dedicated booth.

OP
OP
CubeApple76

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Is there a stream today? Was out and didn't finish the drops on Friday. Would be sad to miss out - they look pretty good actually

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
People gonna get the boot before the 1st game even starts.. lol

These downtimes are absolutely atrocious.

edit: and as soon as I post this they start!

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
PK just reset the grand finals against cintanegra with a game 7 win. Great series and plenty of time to get your boot weapon charm if you thought you had missed it

BTM

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There it is. Hoping they do well honestly. Would be a fun team to mix up the hierarchy a little bit