• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bolthauser

Oct 29, 2017
What was child abuse in the first episode? I'm drawing a blank.

I don't remember the timeline with Guy Pearce so you might be right.

There's a scene where you see the baby in his same clothes as the day prior in a bed and his shitty dad sighs at the prospect of taking care of him, and after the teen fight in the woods she was out.

I'm also not sure about the timeline, but Mare came home at like 3:30 am so he's got a solid alibi until at least around then.

Sten_Monkey

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 22, 2021
Fantastic show. The priest dumping the bike shows pretty clearly that he is atleast involved.

Oct 22, 2020
The priest is obviously a red herring. We know how these shows go. We're three eps into a seven-ep run. No way he's the killer. Dude is a bad egg for sure, though. I'm guessing he is the baby's father but isn't the killer.

I'm convinced it's gonna end up being

Guy Pearce

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Also Mare should go to jail for the shit she pulled. Fuck her boss for covering it up. But hey, at least it's showing authentic cop shit.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Mare. MARE! Mare. Mare, can you paess me that glaess of wooder oeuver dere, Mare? Thaenks, Mare.

I thought the first episode was pretty bad but it definitely picks up in the next two. I actually had to go and Google whether this was one of those American-ized adaptations of Happy Valley, like Gracepoint was for Broadchurch, because it's SO similar, but apparently not. Early money on the priest as an obvious red herring and Guy Pearce as the killer.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
www.youtube.com

Murdur Durdur - SNL

A commercial advertises a TV show following a Pennsylvania detective (Kate McKinnon) determined to solve a murder case.Saturday Night Live. Stream now on Pea...

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I have an awful feeling the killer is going to end up being someone lame like one of those two cousins who's name I've already forgot. It just seems too obvious to be Guy Pearce, but who knows.

How old is Erin's baby, 1? And that other girl who disappeared, was it a year ago?

Are they connected, maybe?

I could be talking out my arse here. Great show, though. I had no idea Evan Peters was going to be in it so I was happy to see him turn up.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Would some say this is a good as Broadchurch was? Because goddamn Broadchurch was something amazing.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
That scene in the barn had my heart in my throat.

This show is going places… I just don't know where.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
That one priest looks like a cross between Justin Trudeau and Emily Mortimer

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest clue that we got in this episode is something that goes by rather quick and with little acknowledgment in the show, which is that Erin's journal is missing once Mare goes to get it. She only ends up finding a couple of pieces of paper, a birthday card and that necklace. I guess if you're already kidnapping and murdering people breaking into a house isn't that big of a deal, but would that Deacon really risk that? He wouldn't be able to explain his way out of that had he been found on her property after she was murdered. Then again, with him you still have the question of how and why did he have her bike, when she had it with her in the woods where she was murdered.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
If it is the same man who killed Erin that's kidnapped the two girls, I wonder if maybe Erin somehow got away and that's why he had to kill her?

But if he's met Erin via the prostitute website, would she have been working that night after she got punched in the face in the woods?

I'm not convinced they are the same man.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
nope

nope

NOPE

I've put up with a whole bunch of not-Delco-isms

But that fucking not-cheesesteak at 53:36 into episode 2

nope fuck you

nope

shows still good tho

but also please understand that that not-cheesesteak is a mini-metaphor for how the show treats Delaware County

oh god is this what southerners feel like every time they set a show in south bumblehole

Also, how can someone take the show seriously when the credits hit with DIRECTED BY CRAIG ZOBEL when you got a character named Colin Zabel

Last edited:

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
nope

nope

NOPE

I've put up with a whole bunch of not-Delco-isms

But that fucking not-cheesesteak at 53:36 into episode 2

nope fuck you

nope

shows still good tho

but also please understand that that not-cheesesteak is a mini-metaphor for how the show treats Delaware County

oh god is this what southerners feel like every time they set a show in south bumblehole

Also, how can someone take the show seriously when the credits hit with DIRECTED BY CRAIG ZOBEL when you got a character named Colin Zabel

lol typical philly yo reaction... and I love it. Show is real good though and if anything we have Kate Winslet singing the praises of WaWa to the press at large. hell yeah hehe.

Also Mare should go to jail for the shit she pulled. Fuck her boss for covering it up. But hey, at least it's showing authentic cop shit.

On the level of ethics/morality I pretty much agree but after that scene of her son and his girlfriend strung out and in Mare's bathroom culling together her money and Carrie's final words to Mare before she left to help further drag Mare's son to hell she became less and less easy for me to empathize with her and I say that as a seven year clean addict myself. Woman clearly hasn't hit her true bottom yet. Wonky take I know. This is a great story about Philly Outskirts life and the crazily enmeshed way in which outskirters live.

Last edited:

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
If it is the same man who killed Erin that's kidnapped the two girls, I wonder if maybe Erin somehow got away and that's why he had to kill her?

But if he's met Erin via the prostitute website, would she have been working that night after she got punched in the face in the woods?

I'm not convinced they are the same man.

It's two different criminals imho

her cousin the priest is the one kidnapping the girls and the murderer is someone else

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
not gonna lie
InvXHXf.jpg

this hits home

I think my parents even had that couch

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
The priest is obviously a red herring. We know how these shows go. We're three eps into a seven-ep run. No way he's the killer. Dude is a bad egg for sure, though. I'm guessing he is the baby's father but isn't the killer.

I'm convinced it's gonna end up being

Guy Pearce

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

not gonna lie
InvXHXf.jpg

this hits home

I think my parents even had that couch

same... my dad has that ensemble dude's wearing too. lol this show man.

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
same... my dad has that ensemble dude's wearing too. lol this show man.
oh yeah

ridley raiders eat shit zabel

although I guess I missed him by 2 years

but even then it isn't like they were good enough to warrant a reunion at mcgilins when i was a sophmore

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I've completely changed my mind on who I think the killer is. I now think it's John-Lori's husband. The killer has to be someone with access to that tavern. Have they said what he does for a living?

There was that weird scene where the Ross's son came in and was staring at the TV report like he knew something. Also John provided a photo alibi for Frank-he was passed out at the time. But that doesn't mean John stayed there.

Oct 22, 2020
Well the end of that ep makes me think I was wrong about Guy Pearce being the killer. Which is good, because that would be lame.

I still think Bad Priest is the baby daddy but not the killer.

May 9, 2019
Caught up in one day and damn it's good. Mare was dumb for that stunt she pulled on Carrie but I have no sympathy for Carrie. Screw her.

I'm drawing blanks on names but the sister can't help her brother. He's too far gone. She shouldn't have to shoulder the responsibility of a full-grown man especially if it's destroying her family. And the stunt he pulled was unforgivable. Dawn was stupid for leaving the gun in the bag though. I would've hidden it on me or at least have the gun in a separate bag.

Frank was a weirdo for lying. All he had to say was he helped his student with baby items because of money trouble.

Is taking a DNA test expensive or is it free? You would think more people would do it, especially if there's skepticism involved.

No clue who the killer could be. The church guy seems too obvious.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've completely changed my mind on who I think the killer is. I now think it's John-Lori's husband. The killer has to be someone with access to that tavern. Have they said what he does for a living?

There was that weird scene where the Ross's son came in and was staring at the TV report like he knew something. Also John provided a photo alibi for Frank-he was passed out at the time. But that doesn't mean John stayed there.

I completely agree

OP
OP
FreezePeach

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well after that episode i am damn interested in seeing how there are 2 more.

best guess is a whole lot more folks in the town are involved in some human trafficking shit and the dude at the house was just a guard

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Frank was a weirdo for lying. All he had to say was he helped his student with baby items because of money trouble.

This! He lies to his ex when she asks if he knew the victim. Mare is hardly the most tactful person but he brought it on himself when she confronted him about it in front of his family.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Every episode fucks with me more than the last. This shit is so good.

romey

Mar 2, 2020
How is this show not an household name yet? I bet it would be if it was on Netflix.

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Yeah this is top tier television. My wife and I were a few weeks late to get started but all caught up now. I'll be telling everyone I know about this gem.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Had a feeling that might happen given what had happened in the episode so far, but oof. Next week's episode is gonna be really interesting!

Well after that episode i am damn interested in seeing how there are 2 more.

best guess is a whole lot more folks in the town are involved in some human trafficking shit and the dude at the house was just a guard
I think it'll be focused on finding Erin's killer mostly. There's no real indication that he was the one who did it.

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
Fantastic television - top tier HBO production. One of my favourite shows featuring a female lead since Big Little Lies Season 1.