• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mare-of-easttown-hbo-review.jpg

Sundays at 10pm. First episode just premiered tonight. It was quite good. I can already sense the impending mystery and tragedy. HBO Limited series seem to be very good at that.

www.rottentomatoes.com

Mare of Easttown: Limited Series | Rotten Tomatoes

Small-town Pennsylvania detective Mare Sheehan investigates a murder as life crumbles around her.

Spoiler tag all 'next episode' preview details please before the episode airs!

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Watching this right now and it's excellent. I love the tone and setting.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting show, maybe a tad slow. Might keep on it or wait until all episodes are out.

Oct 25, 2017
Giving this a watch since the writer grew up in the same town I did and the name comes from the township. Also, it's filmed in DelCo where I lived for a couple of years. So far, I'm interested.

OP
OP
FreezePeach

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2nd episode was good. Show is in 'everyone's a suspect!' mode now. Small town turning on each other.

OP
OP
FreezePeach

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda thought the priest had something to do with it given the strange scene with him early on. But given the preview i'm guessing that Frank confessed to him about impregnating Erin.
I think it's the priest or some shit. These HBO series always plant a seed early and then focus on something else for a while until it loops back around. Anyway i enjoy the guessing.

edit: i replied to a completely different post now im confused

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I love the casting but I don't know if I'm excited for it. I think I'm gonna pass. It seems like HBO is making very similarly themed, morose, dark, brooding shows which have a broken main character, etc.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
2nd episode sure escalated quickly, heh.

What a fucked-up little town and I'm sure it's not going to get better.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This has a great cast. Seems to have a lot of little stories going on, but it never feels overwhelming.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Love this show and as a local to Philly it does a great job. Worst accent in the country.

Any other shows like this to watch? I've watched Sharp Objects and both The Stranger and Behind Her Eyes on Netflix recently.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Second episode was fantastic. This show is 100% my sensibilities.

I love how they have made so many people seem like they could be a suspect. I even suspect Guy Pearce.

I noticed also that they didn't show Siobhan's reaction to finding out Erin was dead. We only saw it after the fact. Sketchy…

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
Loving it so far (two episodes in), Kate Winslet still blows me away with her acting. Really didn't see that coming at end of ep 2 (although they might've been alluding to it slightly). Not sure how we're handling spoilers in this thread

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
My friend just told me that his former co-worker started a Vegan food truck and she was hired to make the Vegan Cheesesteak that Mare ate in her kitchen.

Oct 27, 2017
I just caught up on this in anticipation of the next episode. That's one fucked up town they have lol.

Guy Pearce definitely did it.

Good show. Will watch.

OP
OP
FreezePeach

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another good episode. The characters feel so real in this its great. I don't think it's the deacon they are currently looking at but he may know something about it. Might be the other priest. The deacon seemed to respond oddly to him. Or it could be Guy Pearce, you know the obvious predictable answer of the character we don't know the purpose of yet.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I don't like the actor, but Zobel's drunken state hit hard AF.

This show is very good. It can't be the priest who is her cousin because that would almost be as obvious as Guy Pearce. I think the younger uncle?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
A long time ago my wife and I for some reason rented the Clint Eastwood movie Blood Work. It was a bad movie but we have a memorable phrase from it.

In the movie, Clint is an old detective trying to solve one last murder.
The only other name actor in the movie was Jeff Daniels. He was Clint's friendly neighbor. Clint would come home and Jeff would say "hey neighbor! How was work today?" And they would talk about the case.

I immediately said to my wife "Jeff Daniels is the killer". She said that was ridiculous because he had no motive and he was just a neighbor that had nothing to do with the crime. I said why would you hire Jeff Daniels just to have him be in this small role?

guess what. He was the killer.

So last week I said to her "Guy Pearce is the killer." For the same logic. The rest of the cast is great. But if you're paying for Guy Pearce then I assume it's going to be for a big reason.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FreezePeach

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A long time ago my wife and I for some reason rented the Clint Eastwood movie Blood Work. It was a bad movie but we have a memorable phrase from it.

In the movie, Clint is an old detective trying to solve one last murder.
The only other name actor in the movie was Jeff Daniels. He was Clint's friendly neighbor. Clint would come home and Jeff would say "hey neighbor! How was work today?" And they would talk about the case.

I immediately said to my wife "Jeff Daniels is the killer". She said that was ridiculous because he had no motive and he was just a neighbor that had nothing to do with the crime. I said why would you hire Jeff Daniels just to have him be in this small role?

So last week I said to her "Guy Pearce is the killer." For the same logic. The rest of the cast is great. But if you're paying for Guy Pearce then I assume it's going to be for a big reason.
I would be very disappointed if it was him, because of how obvious it is. I feel like he is the typical red herring character for this show. Also Guy Pearce isnt what he used to be on the actor price scale.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
At this point i'm wondering if the killer is someone that they haven't even introduced yet. All signs are pointing to the Deacon, but it doesn't seem like they'd make it that obvious given how early we're into the show. And that was a real dumb way for Mare to try to set up Carrie. Given how small that town is, there's no way that Mare doesn't know the dealers there. Go bust someone, take their drugs and let them go, and then plant those. Taking them from the evidence room was always going to be easy to trace.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
At this point i'm wondering if the killer is someone that they haven't even introduced yet. All signs are pointing to the Deacon, but it doesn't seem like they'd make it that obvious given how early we're into the show. And that was a real dumb way for Mare to try to set up Carrie. Given how small that town is, there's no way that Mare doesn't know the dealers there. Go bust someone, take their drugs and let them go, and then plant those. Taking them from the evidence room was always going to be easy to trace.
I felt the same way. I was actually really bothered by how dumb that was considering how smart the show had been so far.

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
Not gonna read any posts. I'm waiting for it be out completely and I'll binge it... If I remember it at that point. The last ep is out 30th of May. Happens to me a lot. I put my eyes on a series and by the time I should be watching it, I've forgotten it.

I love Kate, it's a miniseries and it's an HBO original. I got to give it a go.

pollo

Oct 25, 2017
Bro this is good. Didnt finish last nights ep, but the first two were bangers.

Kate Winslett is killing this

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I felt the same way. I was actually really bothered by how dumb that was considering how smart the show had been so far.

The only thing I can think of is that she thought that the Chief would let it slide since he seems protective of her. But given the small town nature he really had to do something about it.

And am I alone in thinking there's something up with Zabel? I don't think he's the killer, but some of the stuff in this episode seemed odd. He was very standoffish when Mare asked him how he solved that big case. Basically just gave a bunch of vague commentary. He also constantly seems impressed by what she's doing, almost like he's never considered it before. He seemed to be brought in as some sort of big shot detective that really knows how to get to the bottom of things, but he really hasn't shown any of that.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
The only thing I can think of is that she thought that the Chief would let it slide since he seems protective of her. But given the small town nature he really had to do something about it.

And am I alone in thinking there's something up with Zabel? I don't think he's the killer, but some of the stuff in this episode seemed odd. He was very standoffish when Mare asked him how he solved that big case. Basically just gave a bunch of vague commentary. He also constantly seems impressed by what she's doing, almost like he's never considered it before. He seemed to be brought in as some sort of big shot detective that really knows how to get to the bottom of things, but he really hasn't shown any of that.

i think it will probably be something like he lucked into figuring it out the cold case he solved and doesnt really deserve the praise / status hes gotten from it.

Oct 27, 2017
Guy Pearce got old huh? As someone who recently hit their forties but has looked young their whole like (it's why my avatar is a baby) it terrifies me. Remember in Prometheus when they put him in age make-up? Well they wouldn't even need that now! Dude looked great less than ten years ago, now he looks like a battered pair of old leather boots.

He definitely did it.

GreenMachine

Oct 27, 2017
Guy Pearce got old huh? As someone who recently hit their forties but has looked young their whole like (it's why my avatar is a baby) it terrifies me. Remember in Prometheus when they put him in age make-up? Well they wouldn't even need that now! Dude looked great less than ten years ago, now he looks like a battered pair of old leather boots.

He definitely did it.
while i don't disagree that he's a prime suspect for me rn, "battered pair of old leather boots?"

sheesh my guy

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room

He definitely did it.
He looks great lmao what

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know Guy Pearce that well but my first reaction was "doesn't that guy always play a villain? There's my lead suspect" lol.

Really enjoying the show so far. Kinda reminds me of Sharp Objects with its small town vibe and most of the characters being miserable.

Bolthauser

Oct 29, 2017
I've only watched the first episode (my wife couldn't make it past the child abuse, which is fair) and trying to catch up, but how could Guy Pearce have done it? Wasn't he with Mare that night? Could easily be connected though, and probably is, to both the first episode killing and the other disappearance. Maybe these questions are answered/provoked in the next two.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I've only watched the first episode (my wife couldn't make it past the child abuse, which is fair) and trying to catch up, but how could Guy Pearce have done it? Wasn't he with Mare that night? Could easily be connected though, and probably is, to both the first episode killing and the other disappearance. Maybe these questions are answered/provoked in the next two.
What was child abuse in the first episode? I'm drawing a blank.

I don't remember the timeline with Guy Pearce so you might be right.