• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that was a lot to take in, what a finale

Easily one of the best shows I've seen this year, was ambitious as fuck

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda disappointed, like literally everything in this episode would have been solved if people actually talked to each other.
Then again...that's most of the show.

Also kinda pissed about
ruby....really felt like again lesbians dying. Which doesn't even make sense, as christina made sure leti didn't die. But she goes and kills ruby? Unless she just put her in a comatose state that could be reversed.

Even with my criticisms, i did love this show. I do hope it comes back, but instead like another posted, have it like ahs.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda disappointed, like literally everything in this episode would have been solved if people acts talked to each other

Also kinda pissed about
ruby....really felt like again lesbians dying. Which doesn't even make sense, as christina made sure leti didn't die. But she goes and kills ruby? Unless she just put her in a comatose state that could be reversed.

Is it really that surprising Christina would do that? Literally nothing will get in the way of her goal. And if Ruby's gonna betray her, well she's now disposable.

She only promised to keep Leti safe after all

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
If the show does get a season 2 there are a number of directions the show could explore (The showrunner Misha Green has talked about this). Whether you do something with Tic's son, or introduce a whole new cast of characters with maybe some Season 1 characters sprinkled in. The core concept she has in mind is really exploring genre (horror, sci-fi, etc) with people of color who aren't normally seen in that space.

On the series as a whole there were definitely some exceptional moments, mixed with some mediocre elements as they seemed to take a grab bag approach to things with a lot of stuff sprinkled in. As a result some of the overall plotting and character moments didn't hit as hard and could have used more focus, but the overall package was entertaining and kept me looking forward to the show every Sunday because I didn't know what to expect .

There were definitely moments I haven't seen before on any show from the body transformations to interdimensional travel.

I do hope the show gets a Season 2.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, why keep the promise? No reason to after everything.

To keep her word as one final nod to what she felt for Ruby.

Also she's not overtly malicious. She's driven in achieving her goal, but isn't particularly interested in spilling more blood than necessary. You could just as easily say there's no strong reason for her to kill Leti.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Kinda disappointed, like literally everything in this episode would have been solved if people actually talked to each other.
Then again...that's most of the show.

Also kinda pissed about

Even with my criticisms, i did love this show. I do hope it comes back, but instead like another posted, have it like ahs.

What can be said to prevent a sacrifice?

'Do you really want immortality?'

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I guess so, but my god that's fucked up.

What d be said to prevent a sacrifice?

'Do you really want immortality?'

I mean, christina seems to be a person of her word? Sooo if they just agreed to her terms, people would still be alive.
also, I'm bettin leti told ruby about her loss of invulnerability. Wonder what would have happened if ruby just straight up asked...like she's done before.

Man I'm still salty about Ruby

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That scene of them all singing in the car was my favorite part of the episode... until the Ruby reveal happened :(

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does Ruby necessarily have to be dead? The whole "keep them in a coma" thing kinda confused me...

No idea what a season 2 would look like but I'd be here for it. Personally I'd like an entire show of just Hippolyta going on Doctor Who-esque adventures tbh.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
Well that was a great finale. I'm speculating on a season 2 in the spoilers.

So I've been thinking for a while now that this show might make each season a self contained story focusing on a different member of the Freeman family. This was Tic's story. Next season is gonna be George Jr's and so on after that. With each season introducing a new threat. Or handling old ones. (I actually thought Christina was gonna become immortal and be the long running antagonist of the series. But yeah tha didn't happen.) But with Dee clearly being the woman who gave Tic the copy of "Lovecraft Country" in the future. This series has room to grow. Look forward to season 2.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Idk about all that. It was ok. Next season should be better since they aren't beholden to any book stuff. I assume there's going to be some time shenanigans and they'll inadvertently bring back Christina when they bring back Atticus.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Very uneven show. Some truly exceptional writing and then some really terrible overwrought emotional beats all jammed in together.

I was disappointed with Christina
they went to a lot of work humanizing her then to only sort of revoke it and say she's just blandly evil at the end.

I don't feel like the whole "magic is only for black people now" ending was set up very well. it's like the show told me the stakes after it had already resolved the tension.

I don't really get why Dee has a shoggoth now. Wish they would have explained that.

The story never really resolved Montrose just straight up murdering yahima. Like why am I rooting for these people when they're doing this horrible shit?

Loved the scene where Atticus apologized to Ji-Ah. That character got short shrift but I like how they showed the main character thinking better of his mistakes.
Overall I enjoyed the show. But I feel like there was a lot of sloppy moments especially in the emotional beats. and the ending just really failed to deliver.

Oct 26, 2017
Well, GODDAMN! That was a strong season finale.

One of the best scenes of the finale was the very beginning where Tic and Leti were on the other side with the dead. The other was the car scene because you know something this lighthearted always comes before tragedy.

WTF at the Ruby twist? I initially thought that Christina might have been Ruby when she appeared right before the aforementioned car scene, but she pulled out the flask and I thought all was well. :(
It's fucked up that there wasn't really a final moment with Ruby. She just got killed off-screen. The only way I can see this being undone is in a Season 2.

Kind of bummed that Tic really ended up dying though. The way it kept being mentioned made me believe it wasn't going to happen.

The women came to save the day one last time! lol
Ji-Ah and Leti reversed the whole spell and took all magic away from white people! Ha! That's what I'm talking about.

And freaking DEE came in with the MECHANICAL ARM!! The woman from the future that gave Tic the book was HER????
If Tic is really done, let Dee be the main character of the second season. Give us adventures with her and her pet shoggoth.

For me, the season really came into its own in the last few episodes. I really want a season two so we can further expand on these stories and spells from the Book of Names.

I haven't read the book, but is the ending more or less the same?

Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After being spoiled on the stuff regarding Till, I elected to bail on the show. Not a brutality I particularly care to witness. I love the show, but I hit a wall and am wondering if I should return to see it through.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Very uneven show. Some truly exceptional writing and then some really terrible overwrought emotional beats all jammed in together.

I was disappointed with Christina
they went to a lot of work humanizing her then to only sort of revoke it and say she's just blandly evil at the end.

I don't feel like the whole "magic is only for black people now" ending was set up very well. it's like the show told me the stakes after it had already resolved the tension.

I don't really get why Dee has a shoggoth now. Wish they would have explained that.

The story never really resolved Montrose just straight up murdering yahima. Like why am I rooting for these people when they're doing this horrible shit?

Loved the scene where Atticus apologized to Ji-Ah. That character got short shrift but I like how they showed the main character thinking better of his mistakes.
Overall I enjoyed the show. But I feel like there was a lot of sloppy moments especially in the emotional beats. and the ending just really failed to deliver.

It was only really set up in this episode, yeah, but technically it's been in the works for hundreds of years lol.

It's the family pet Shoggoth, It most likely simply followed where ever Tic went. Shame he only had one, it would've been SUPER useful either on the bridge or freeing him.

One of the writers/directors admits this is a fault of their story telling and wish they could fix. I think in the end it just shows Montrose would do WHATEVER to protect his family, and he obviously felt some way about it because after Tic kicked his ass he went mute for a while, but I agree it sucks he did that.

I wouldn't mind if next season followed Ji-Ah a bit more, or had a korean setting, could be very interesting. Supposedly there is some kind of monster ( yeongno ) that has to eat 100 rich people to go to heaven, I'd be down for an episode like that.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Read the book last year and really enjoyed it. Then this show came along and the perspective and direction that Misha Green and her writers have brought just took it into the stratosphere. Frankly the book can't (and could never) touch what the show has done and if it ends here as a standalone series, I'm good with that. But the possibility space they've created-- be it in continuing the story of the Freeman's or going in an anthology direction and focusing on Black futurism and horror... fuck I'm here for that as well.

Oct 26, 2017
I know it probably would have spoiled the reveal but
I would have really liked to have seen that moment where Tic introduces Dee to the shoggoth. I think that would have been nice since the two of them have barely had any real standout moments together.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
That finale was weird! and all over the place! I liked it overall and look forward to whatever they they come up with for the next season.

Punished Dee & Shoggoth... I would play that mod.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
I was pretty dejected after this season finale. My sister was also kinda pissed off :p

I think it's because the season finale and payoffs could have been stronger; but I think it's mostly because we just miss the show already, and dread waiting months to see whats next lol
sidenote: That little moment with Tic and Ji-Ah got me.

It took me a couple episodes before the show clicked and I got a better sense of what they were going for, but even since then it's been my show. Plenty moments that amazed and surprised me.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was episode was rough like right up there with Episode 2 in terms of confusing, disjointed structure. I haven't had issues with the music choices throughout the season but two of the songs in this ep (with Tic and Letty in the elevator and when Tic was being sliced up at the end) were just super out of place and jarring. Whatever meaning was behind their inclusion wasn't worth the clash imo.

I also thought the flashes of explanation (Tic showing Dee the Shoggoth, Tic getting baptised etc) was a super confusing and uninteresting way to explain that stuff.

Dee with a shoggoth pet and robot arm is fucking sick though. Hope for a time jump second season in a future where black people have magic and white people don't lol.

Nov 13, 2017
Unfortunately I thought this was one of the weaker episodes of the series. The. show had incredible highs. The pilot is a masterpiece and could have been a move in and of itself. But the unevenness was giving me True Blood PTSD.

On a side note, as a major Lovecraft fan, it was difficult to move past my expectations of there being much more direct Lovecraft horror versus the reality of there essentially being none. I think that led me to get my hopes up every week for some kind of easter egg.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Definitely check out episodes 5 and 6.

I've just watched ep 6 and I'm really impressed. Episode 5 is amazing as well. I'd put 1-4 at a lower level for sure

I enjoyed episode 5, and 6 was really good, definitely the best of the season, till now. Episode 7 on the other hand
was one of the worst things i have ever seen, hated every part of it...

3 Episodes left for me, still have no idea what to think about this show. It definitely has it's really good moments, but also very bad ones.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to mention I liked the acting from the actress that plays Ruby this episode. She really nailed Christina's cadence. I had to do a double take and make sure they didn't dub Christina's voice over hers since it was so good.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Don't think I've seen a show in recent memory with so much difference in quality with every episode. Excellent pilot, episodes 6 and 8, mediocre and run-of-the-mill stuff in between, OKAY second last episode, and a downright terrible finale ripped right out of Supernatural.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
The structure of the episode wasn't for me. The ending is good thou but getting there wasn't smooth

RedEye

Oct 25, 2017
i need season 2 yesterday. Kinda hope Ruby comes back in some form or fashion, cause if thats it for her im kinda eh on how she went out. Ruby mech arm and pet monster were so dope hope we get more of them next season too.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I'm not sure how they'll make a season 2. Maybe they can do a story around Innsmouth or another take on Red Hook like The Ballad of Black Tom (or just adapt that novella)

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
In the flashbacks did anyone else notice a flash of Ruby
lying in the bed in a coma like David, meaning maybe she's not dead?
Maybe I interpreted it wrong .

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
In the flashbacks did anyone else notice a flash of Ruby
lying in the bed in a coma like David, meaning maybe she's not dead?
Maybe I interpreted it wrong .

Maybe! I guess we'll see if there's a second season.

The only thing I didn't quite understand in this episode is

how Leti didn't die because of her fall. I thought her invulnerability spell had been removed?