• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like next week when it's all over I will be like Key waking up from getting his head smacked and that Lovecraft Country much like Negrotown was all some beautiful figment of my imagination.

No magic and splendor here. Just white terrorism and violence.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that was probably my favorite episode of the series. It was so incredibly sad. I'm so angry that the Tulsa Race Massacre was brushed the rug for so long.

The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was that they lingered a bit too long on the great-grandmother's death. It felt somewhat cruel and unnecessarily grotesque.

Anyway, that was a great episode. When this show is hitting its marks, it's truly stunning.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jfc this episode. Man, between this and Watchmen... just damn.

Only nitpick is former track star Leti really needed to hurry the fuck up at the end there lol

This continues to easily be one of my favorite shows this year.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was that they lingered a bit too long on the great-grandmother's death. It felt somewhat cruel and unnecessarily grotesque.

Yea I know she asked Leti to stay and pray, but idk why Leti would willingly scar herself like that seeing something so utterly fucked up :(

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The show is likely a limited series. It's based on a book and this season covers it. I highly doubt there's a season 2.
From what I understand, the book was written following a failed TV show pitch. The author basically wrote the book as a proof of concept.

Seeing as (I assume), he had enough ideas for a TV pitch, he and the other writers probably have some things in mind for season 2. I guess we'll see though.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I know she asked Leti to stay and pray, but idk why Leti would willingly scar herself like that seeing something so utterly fucked up :(

Yeah that was awful as hell to watch :( but I guess Leti thought she owed it to the family at least? Since she couldn't save them. Still, that would be something horrible to witness firsthand.

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that was awful as hell to watch :( but I guess Leti thought she owed it to the family at least? Since she couldn't save them. Still, that would be something horrible to witness firsthand.

I like to look at it as growth. Just the last episode she was mad at herself for not being brave enough to view the barbarism done to Emmett.

Dec 11, 2017
6-A2-BDA75-0-C52-48-F8-B78-F-FACBBD7-DC27-D.png

Incredible that within a year HBO depicted the Tulsa Massacre TWICE.

The show is likely a limited series. It's based on a book and this season covers it. I highly doubt there's a season 2.
The ad for next week declares it a "season finale", so they're obviously considering it.

The great-grandmother's death I felt didn't quite land because of both the lingering extensively on obvious CGI and (once again) the tone-disrupting soundtrack chosen to accompany it.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Only nitpick is former track star Leti really needed to hurry the fuck up at the end there lol

Agreed, but the image of her walking through the fire, bombs, and destruction slowly was a really powerful moment. All while Hippolyta is giving all her strength in order to keep the portal open. While that music was playing...... Definitely the most powerful moment an episode has ended on for me.

Cool to see Lala from Black Lighting show up, even if he was putting the beats to young Montrose.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
"Catch the Fire"
by Sonia Sanchez

Sometimes I wonder
what to say to you now
in the soft afternoon air
as you hold us all in a single death.
I say, where is your fire?
I say, where is your fire?
You got to find it and pass it on.

You got to find it and pass it on
from you to me,
from me to her,
from her to him,
from the son to the father,
from the brother to the sister,
from the daughter to the mother,
from the mother to the child.

I say, where is your fire? I say, where is your fire?
Can't you smell it coming out of our past,
the fire of living, not dying.
The fire of loving, not killing.
The fire of Blackness, not gangster shadows.
Where is our beautiful fire that gave light to the world,
the fire of pyramids,
the fire that burned through the holes of slave ships and made us breathe?

The fire that made guts into chitlins,
The fire that took rhythms and made jazz,
The fire of sit-ins and marches that made us jump boundaries and barriers.

The fire that took street talk sounds
and made righteous Imhotep raps.
Where is your fire, the torch of life,
full of Nzinga and Nat Turner and Garvey
and Du Bois and Fannie Lou Hamer and Martin
and Malcolm and Mandela?
Sister, sister, sister,
brother, brother, brother,
come, come, come, come, come.

Catch your fire. Don't kill.
Hold your fire. Don't kill.
Learn your fire. Don't kill.
Be the fire. Don't kill.

Catch the fire and burn with eyes that see our souls
walking,
singing, yeah,
building, mm-hmm,
laughing, ha ha,
learning, yes,
loving, yes,
teaching, mm-hmm,
being.

Hey.
Hey, hey, hey, hey, young, young, young brother.
Hey, hey, hey, young, young, young, young sister.
Here is my hand.
Catch the fire and live, live.
Live, live, live.
Live, live, live.
Live, live, live.
Live, live, live.
Live.
Live.

Last edited:

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I missed something, but is there a simple explanation for why none of the three characters ever realized that the stranger that saved them looked just like Tic?

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I missed something, but is there a simple explanation for why none of the three characters ever realized that the stranger that saved them looked just like Tic?
Probably due to all of the horror that happened during the massacre. It's easy to forget faces with all that going on. He was probably there for what, less than 5min?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, but the image of her walking through the fire, bombs, and destruction slowly was a really powerful moment. All while Hippolyta is giving all her strength in order to keep the portal open. While that music was playing...... Definitely the most powerful moment an episode has ended on for me.

Cool to see Lala from Black Lighting show up, even if he was putting the beats to young Montrose.

I absolutely agree, extremely powerful stuff, it was just hard to completely focus on that knowing that Hippolyta was suffering waiting for them to go all through. I like how she sort of suddenly teleported at the end there.

And yea it was nice seeing Lala, well, sort of. Given his character on Black Lightning, the actor was a good choice to play Montrose's abusive father.

Yea, it was understandable, albeit slightly at odds with her just the previous episode not wanting to look at Emmett's body. Just really hard to watch all the same, but she did right by the grandmother when all is said and done.

That just seems to be a common time travel trope, where characters always forget what the time traveler looked like it's been years/decades. Can't remember everyone you meet I suppose.

Not to mention they were kids at the time, and that whole experience was undoubtedly traumatizing as well.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.

Well for the vast majority of Tic's life he was apparently a skinny guy. He only became muscular during the war. No one in the show had seen him since he came back from the war until the beginning of the show. They probably never put two and two together.

Even if they did pretty sure the conversation went like

George: "Hey Montrose you notice Tic looks like the guy that saved us?"

Montrose: "Huh guess you right. Weird"

And they moved on with their lives. No reason to speculate on it more than that.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Probably due to all of the horror that happened during the massacre. It's easy to forget faces with all that going on. He was probably there for what, less than 5min?
hat just seems to be a common time travel trope, where characters always forget what the time traveler looked like it's been years/decades. Can't remember everyone you meet I suppose.

Not to mention they were kids at the time, and that whole experience was undoubtedly traumatizing as well.
Well for the vast majority of Tic's life he was apparently a skinny guy. He only became muscular during the war. No one in the show had seen him since he came back from the war until the beginning of the show. They probably never put two and two together.

Even if they did pretty sure the conversation went like

George: "Hey Montrose you notice Tic looks like the guy that saved us?"

Montrose: "Huh guess you right. Weird"

And they moved on with their lives. No reason to speculate on it more than that.

I figured this was probably how it was being played, but I was just wondering if there was a line of dialogue or something that I missed where it was addressed in universe that the guy that saved them looked like Tic, just like that hypothetical conversation. But I guess I didn't.

Do you remember shit from when you were 12?

Montrose seemed to vividly remember very specific parts of what happened, from the cracker's voice, to exact phrases. And this stranger that saved him was a hero to him. I was trying to piece together if at some point he realized, suspected, or even thought and dismissed Tic being the stranger he idolized or if only in the moment it struck him, which I guess is the case given the dialogue.

I just read the AV Club review and it sort of makes me wish Montrose had realized it earlier, just to make it even more poignant how conflicted he feels about everything he did to Tic. But it still works the other way too.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018

.... Am I weird?
Like, I couldn't imagine remembering the face of a rando I saw for 5mins like ...1 YEAR ago, how would I possibly remember the face of some rando from 5, 10, 20+ years ago that I've only seen for like 5mins tops?

Is this normal? Do normal people have prefect recall for faces? Cause I see people often times bring this up for stuff like BttF and I'm like "How the fuck would she remember the face of some guy she had a short crush on 20 years ago and think " OHHH, my son looks a lot like that guy I had a crush on for like a few hours decades ago, crazy!" ?"

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
God damnit...another reenactment of Black Wall Street...smh..my heart can't do this shit. Between Watchmen, The Boys s2 and Lovecraft...I appreciate highlighting how fucked and racist society is...but I'm tired of being in a perpetual state of anger while consuming entertainment.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018

Better question if I may ...
"Do you remember random strangers in great detail from when you were 12?"

Big black guy with a black belt in the art of Bat-beatings saving you, your brother and friend and saying a cool 1 liner before running away? Yeah, that sticks with you. No reason to assume you would remember every feature of his face and voice decades after the fact seeing as you saw him for a good few mins at most.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The Leftovers was only one book that got 3 seasons, after S1 covered the entire book.

it's more likely they will continue w the same story than turn it into an anthology, I think.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017

Better question if I may ...
"Do you remember random strangers in great detail from when you were 12?"

Big black guy with a black belt in the art of Bat-beatings saving you, your brother and friend and saying a cool 1 liner before running away? Yeah, that sticks with you. No reason to assume you would remember every feature of his face and voice decades after the fact seeing as you saw him for a good few mins at most.
This, the idea that Montrose would ever recognize Atticus in that situation is crazy. The fact that people think that's a plot hole makes me feel happy for them. Because those people have never been in a dangerous situation in their entire lives and can remember everything with crystal clarity. Lucky you.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
Hey was that stuff with that being seraphina in space in the book too?

No alot of the stuff there doing is not in the book at all. They have already done so much to open it up that the book never did. They could easily do other seasons. I'm not going to spoil anything in the book that hasn't happened but I'll just list some big differences in the spoilers below.

the book doesn't have time travel, alternate earths, Tics son, and the lady from Korea. Everything about the hippolyta episode is different once she goes to the portal. In the book she just ends up on another planet that has a monster there and one survivor. No one else ever goes to the portal and it never comes back up[SPOILERS]

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Saw Watchmen and watching this episode feeling the dread to come.
I hope Hippolyta is fine because Leti took her time

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
No alot of the stuff there doing is not in the book at all. They have already done so much to open it up that the book never did. They could easily do other seasons. I'm not going to spoil anything in the book that hasn't happened but I'll just list some big differences in the spoilers below.

the book doesn't have time travel, alternate earths, Tics son, and the lady from Korea. Everything about the hippolyta episode is different once she goes to the portal. In the book she just ends up on another planet that has a monster there and one survivor. No one else ever goes to the portal and it never comes back up[SPOILERS]
Was there as much afrofuturism in the book as there is in that episode? That's been one of my favourites so far, so visually inspiring.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
Was there as much afrofuturism in the book as there is in that episode? That's been one of my favourites so far, so visually inspiring.

Zero in the book at all. The book doesn't have any of the gay subplot , women empowerment, george being tics dad or him dying . All of the afro futurism , black women empowerment and the gay subplot with tics dad comes from the show. The book is good but it sticks to ghost, monsters, magic and the portal to a different world . I'm sure the show has some awesome women writers because those subjects are handled so well

Adam Sadler

Nov 9, 2017
btw for those wondering if we'll get a season two, it's coming. They calling next week episode a season finale as opposed to just a finale

at least most shows i know have a clear distinction

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Zero in the book at all. The book doesn't have any of the gay subplot , women empowerment, george being tics dad or him dying . All of the afro futurism , black women empowerment and the gay subplot with tics dad comes from the show. The book is good but it sticks to ghost, monsters, magic and the portal to a different world . I'm sure the show has some awesome women writers because those subjects are handled so well
That's really encouraging to hear for the show's writers and creatives then like Misha Green and Shannon Houston who wrote "I Am", compared to the more standard stuff in the book.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Okay, I may just be misremembering, but in Episode 7 wasn't the Observatory in Kansas? Then in Episode 9 it said Kentucky? I coulda sworn...

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I figured this was probably how it was being played, but I was just wondering if there was a line of dialogue or something that I missed where it was addressed in universe that the guy that saved them looked like Tic, just like that hypothetical conversation. But I guess I didn't.
At this point, who can say Montrose didnt have a feeling current Tic looked like the stranger? He regularly holds back a lot of relevant info. As he stated, it was something he never wanted to think about until right there. Judging by the way the building events were affecting him, he never did dwell on it. He also didnt really have an opportunity to process and address it in the moment before Tic ran off either.