• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question, Christina doing that to herself was so she could understand, right? Which makes me think she really does care about Ruby.
Would be one of the most privileged and tone deaf ways to "understand."

Plus, the issue was with her not empathizing with Ruby's feelings, not her understanding what it's like to be killed.

I really despise Christina and my loathing of the character would grow tenfold if that is what that scene was supposed to be.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would be one of the most privileged and tone deaf ways to "understand."

Plus, the issue was with her not empathizing with Ruby's feelings, not her understanding what it's like to be killed.

I really despise Christina and my loathing of her would grow tenfold if that is what that scene was supposed to be.

That's definitely what the scene was about, putting herself in Emmett's shoes.

I agree though, if you gotta do all that just to have some damn empathy, then yeesh...

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The worst thing about this show is how everyone acts like magic is no big deal, as if they are already familiar with it

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
The world revolving around Tic fucking sucks when Tic is such an asshole and literally every woman around him is more likeable and interesting.

Yuuup, prob why every episode or plot I LOVE is something that puts him in the back seat.
Tic is a PoS with like next to no redeeming qualities.

And the girls were amazing! So ... showmen like. Putting on a bad ass performance when zero people should be seeing them ... 4th wall breaking to.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if the book is telling the truth. And they go back in time to change alter the timeline.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just got caught up on the last 2 episodes. The show continues to be messy but it's certainly one hell of a ride.

I liked Hippolyta's journey more than Us Part 2. The scenes where she poured her soul out to Josephine Baker and George were especially amazing. I also loved how she became a warrior queen after a 5 minute training session.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Yuuup, prob why every episode or plot I LOVE is something that puts him in the back seat.
Tic is a PoS with like next to no redeeming qualities.

And the girls were amazing! So ... showmen like. Putting on a bad ass performance when zero people should be seeing them ... 4th wall breaking to.

Yeah those girls were some of the best monsters I've ever seen.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to getting up to the podcast episode for the discussion on those two girls alone, haha. I highly recommend listening to the podcast btw, they discuss a lot of the the controversial plot points and while their explanations may not necessarily satisfy those of you coming away with negative impressions, it's good to at least see what they were trying to do.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that was such a great episode. Those girls were creepy as fuck but nowhere close to actually scaring me or giving me nightmares. I actually don't hate Tic at all but he's definitely an asshole tho.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also I didn't expect that reveal of Tic going to the future but then again he did chase after Hippolyta when she got sucked in but when they showed him standing there and taking the key and getting out of dodge I though nothing of it.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
The two girls were probably the creepiest thing in this entire series to me so far. Really great episode. Feel like I agree that the reactions to magic are weird as hell. The fact that we basically had most of an episode of someone actually freaked out about some effect of a magic curse for once was sorta refreshing though.

Oct 29, 2017
My theory is that George Freeman is Ji Ah's son. Not Leti's. Tic is assuming. The way he reacted when she showed back showed he's still in love with her. Leti can sense it too. I think he impregnated her while in the war. She was noticeably heavier in Chicago than the flashback scenes.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
This was the most haphazard and poorly edited episodes of the bunch

It was all over the place.

Especially when you have Ji-ah show up explain her story in like two sentences and then gets thrown out the door, with no buildup or conclusion.

This episode felt super super rushed and lost alot of points.

Fraktur

Oct 25, 2017
My theory is that George Freeman is Ji Ah's son. Not Leti's. Tic is assuming. The way he reacted when she showed back showed he's still in love with her. Leti can sense it too. I think he impregnated her while in the war. She was noticeably heavier in Chicago than the flashback scenes.
Don't think so as Tic said he read the book and it's something like a family chronicle with some differences (probably because it's also from an alternate universe). So it's likely that his son would mention who his mom is and what happened/happens to her.

I really like this show but the "we're not telling anyone about that magical bullshit that's happening around us" trope is getting fucking annoying, so thank god for Ruby (hands down the best character) just spitting it out.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I could see two things happening:

1) Christina and William "split" somehow because "magic", and William becomes the main antagonist.

2) Christina doesn't want the ascension for herself, but to use on William to return him to life.

Whatever happens, that Captain is so fucked.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Love this show. I just want to give thumbs for the sex scenes with real looking women who are absolutely beautiful. Ruby and Hippolyta are awesome :D

Wunmi Mosaku does an incredible job, had no idea she was British :O

Also those two demon little girls are fucking terrifying in so many ways, visually they creepy as fuck and the idea behind them is even more fucked up.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
This show has some of the worst and best effects I've seen on a major TV show. Most of the effects of the past several episodes have been amazing though. The transformation stuff looks outstanding.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
This show has some of the worst and best effects I've seen on a major TV show. Most of the effects of the past several episodes have been amazing though. The transformation stuff looks outstanding.

Yup. Which is why I wasn't mad at the kinda useless sex scene; some of the best body horror special effects ive ever seen so I wasn't mad at one more ride on that hellish rolllercoaster. Cronenberg should be proud, lol.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This was the most haphazard and poorly edited episodes of the bunch

It was all over the place.

Especially when you have Ji-ah show up explain her story in like two sentences and then gets thrown out the door, with no buildup or conclusion.

This episode felt super super rushed and lost alot of points.
yeah, I'm comfortable with calling it the absolute worst episode they've made so far. Random sex scene, Dee just running off on her own the majority of the episode with nobody caring about where she is, Ji Ah showing up unannounced to say something Tic already knew, Tic and Montrose suddenly being ok with each other after one conversation etc etc

things really do just happen on this show because the writers need them to. the leg work is just never there. It's still worth watching for episodes like "I Am" and "Meet Me In Daegu" though.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, I'm comfortable with calling it the absolute worst episode they've made so far. Random sex scene, Dee just running off on her own the majority of the episode with nobody caring about where she is, Ji Ah showing up unannounced to say something Tic already knew, Tic and Montrose suddenly being ok with each other after one conversation etc etc

things really do just happen on this show because the writers need them to. the leg work is just never there. It's still worth watching for episodes like "I Am" and "Meet Me In Daegu" though.
I hate being a downer but I agree with this. I came into this show really wanting to love it. The acting is great, the set design is gorgeous, the plot is...fine. But the moment to moment writing is just subpar. I'm disappointed.

It's a show I was wholeheartedly endorsing and recommending early on and now I'll have to make a bunch of caveats. There are fantastic moments, but I wish the overall package was better.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
So many great moments in this episode...
I'll just leave this here:

topsy-bopsy-lovecraft-country.jpg

bloody-disgusting.com

“Lovecraft Country” Introduces Its Version of Freddy Krueger With Twin Villains Topsy and Bopsy

There was *a lot* happening in last night’s incredible episode of HBO’s “Lovecraft Country,” easily one of the single best hours of the show thus far. Titled “Jig-a-Bobo,” Season 1, Episode 8 was directed by series creator Misha Green, powerfully touching upon the real-life murder of Emmett...
As you may recall, Misha Green had noted back in August that an episode of the show's first season was inspired by Wes Craven's A Nightmare on Elm Street, with Green offering up the following tease during a Television Critics Association panel:

"You'll see we use Nightmare on Elm Street and Freddy Krueger to tell what it's like to be a young Black girl in America."

That episode, it turns out, was last night's "Jig-a-Bobo," which saw George and Hippolyta's daughter Diana cursed by two white police officers looking for her missing mom. The episode was a horror-heavy hour of "Lovecraft Country," with Diana spending much of it running from (and ultimately facing head-on) an incredibly creepy set of twins. With long fingernails that resemble Freddy's iconic bladed glove, the supernatural twins were only visible to Diana, and their arrival was ushered in by a group of jump roping white girls. Sound familiar?

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I can't wait to re-watch this show all in one go. I feel like nearly every subsequent episode is stranger than the one that came before it. That sex scene is the most tastefully horrific thing I've ever seen, and those fucking girls... goddamn. I think this is my favorite show on TV by a long shot.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catching up after taking a break and finished episode 5.

I still don't know how I feel about this show. There is so much cool shit going on, esp. in this episode regarding transformations and all the different levels of oppression (Ruby as a white woman being pissed at Tamara, Ruby facing levels of discrimination even beyond just being black), the fantastically horrifying transformations...and then there's other stuff, like Ruby raping her boss with a stiletto.

I'm surprised to see that no one here spoke up about this extremely fucked up scene?? My wife hasn't been able to get into this show but was hooked on this episode and then THAT fucking scene happens. The body horror was easy to watch compared to it and it just kept *going*.

Montrose continues to feel mishandled. He barely had any characterization other than "mean dad" prior to this, he straight up murders a "two spirit" Native American briefly after they're introduced, and then we have the "that's not how it works" rough sex scene, followed by him wordlessly accepting his sexuality (to a degree). To be fair, the scene in the club was beautiful, in a lot of ways.

Leti and Tic didn't have much to do other than fuck and translate.

I hear the next episode is fantastic--looking forward to it!

The Pot

Oct 25, 2017
TN
This latest episode was by far my favorite. Loved the twins and the ending got me pumped up for whats to come.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
So many great moments in this episode...
I'll just leave this here:

topsy-bopsy-lovecraft-country.jpg

bloody-disgusting.com

“Lovecraft Country” Introduces Its Version of Freddy Krueger With Twin Villains Topsy and Bopsy

There was *a lot* happening in last night’s incredible episode of HBO’s “Lovecraft Country,” easily one of the single best hours of the show thus far. Titled “Jig-a-Bobo,” Season 1, Episode 8 was directed by series creator Misha Green, powerfully touching upon the real-life murder of Emmett...

Damn I don't like them. The last two mornings since I watched the episode I've woken up early enough to stay in bed for a bit. Both days they've somehow popped into my head with the dancing and super creepy music and I can't relax and just get the fuck out of bed and start my day. I'm too old for this shit.

The Krueger reference makes a lot of sense because in a similar way the scariest thing about him isn't necessarily how he looks it's the manner in which he gets you. That used to keep me up at night so at least getting up early is an upgrade.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
So I just started watching and I'm fucking loving it.
Any news of q season 2? I hope HBO renews it. After Netflix fucking up Marianne this would crush me...

rude

Oct 25, 2017
So I just started watching and I'm fucking loving it.
Any news of q season 2? I hope HBO renews it. After Netflix fucking up Marianne this would crush me...
Even if the show was a ratings disaster HBO wouldn't cancel their premiere high budget black action drama after 1 season; it'd just be bad optics. There will be another for sure.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the show was a ratings disaster HBO wouldn't cancel their premiere high budget black action drama after 1 season; it'd just be bad optics. There will be another for sure.
Ah that's great to hear, but I hope the ratings were good the show and all people involved deserve it!

Also that picture above my first post is s homage to Junji Ito? Looks like Chizumi.
D7EF0847-67A9-461E-82E9-00C87D2ED854.jpeg

Last edited:

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Watching now.. I can tell this episode is going to be fucking heavy already.

Last edited:

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, this episode was good, but so fuckin sad. Really liked Montrose this episode.

Edit: I was also thinking Leti should have been bookin it out of there during that slow walk.