• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's a testament of how good the actor is that Tic is still relatable despite being an homophobic violent selfish war criminal.
I don't think it's his acting so much as it's that the show writes him as almost completely different people at different times. There's no attempt at integrating or reckoning with his violent tendencies during the majority of his scenes. They're just ignored by himself and the other characters so that the immediate plot concerns can be foregrounded. It's kinda how they're all written, they shift wildly depending on how the plot and individual scene need them to proceed. Look at Leti going from [momentarily] caring about Yahima's murder (just so she can empathize with Tic) to not saying a damn word upon next seeing Montrose. Or the wildly different views of Tic we saw in the Korea episode, where the only attempt at reconciling his stone-faced executioner mode with his weepy romantic mode was some throwaway line about the military changing him or some bullshit. One of the few consistencies in the show is events and actions not resonating with the characters and story in meaningful ways.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand people saying "it's not lovecraft enough" the premise of this show isn't simply "lovecraft but in Jim Crow era", it's clearly trying to be so much more than that.

Also don't get people saying "we don't know who Hippolyta is so I didn't care" like... we watching the same show? Even if I concede Hippolyta hasn't been the main focus, I sure as shit got behind her and understood her over the course of this episode alone. The show most definitely isn't perfect but some of the comments in here are baffling to me.

Honestly, I'm enjoying the lack of a central, focused plotline. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

No other show is doing what this wacky, wondrous show is doing and that in and of itself makes it more enjoyable than whatever the fuck "truly great television" is.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I really don't know how I feel about this show. It is so wildly inconsistent. Some episodes are strong, like last week's Korean episode, while ones like this week's feel aimless and self-indulgent. Admittedly, the book is no masterpiece, but I was expecting the show to improve upon the source material. Sadly, it doesn't, and the result is decidedly average television.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
The show is fun, but way too fragmented for me. Because it's always so different it can be hit and miss, and this last one was a bit of a miss, despite some nice themes.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
The show has flashes of greatness and some great performances but my main issue is that it has almost no central plot. We're heading into the final stretch and almost nothing has happened from the get-go. Atticus and company discover a whole new realm of wonder, horror and possibility and nothing has occurred since then. We're getting some interesting character moments and such with these single-focus episodes but the plot just doesn't move. It's been very frustrating to watch for that reason.

The novel and show lean heavily into being an anthology, albeit with consistent characters and elements of an overarching plot. View it in the same way you would Johnny Quest, Hardy Boys, etc and you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I legitimately enjoyed the Kumiho episode, but this latest one took way too long to get going and I'm not sure it landed the way they thought it might.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I don't think it's his acting so much as it's that the show writes him as almost completely different people at different times. There's no attempt at integrating or reckoning with his violent tendencies during the majority of his scenes. They're just ignored by himself and the other characters so that the immediate plot concerns can be foregrounded. It's kinda how they're all written, they shift wildly depending on how the plot and individual scene need them to proceed. Look at Leti going from [momentarily] caring about Yahima's murder (just so she can empathize with Tic) to not saying a damn word upon next seeing Montrose. Or the wildly different views of Tic we saw in the Korea episode, where the only attempt at reconciling his stone-faced executioner mode with his weepy romantic mode was some throwaway line about the military changing him or some bullshit. One of the few consistencies in the show is events and actions not resonating with the characters and story in meaningful ways.

I still can't tell if this is intentional or not. I want to think that all of these things will come to a head in some weird and twisted way in the finale. I'd like to give the writers the benefit of the doubt that they're smart enough to realize what they're doing. But yes, if what you mentioned is never addressed in a meaningful way, then I'll have to agree with your take.

I do really enjoy the sporadic nature of the show, and how often it makes the viewer scratch their head or make them feel like maybe they've missed something. That part feels Lovecraftian to me. The slow build toward madness and all that. For the time being I'll just go along for the ride.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Feel like last two episodes were strong but every progressive step this show takes it takes two back. Dunno if I should keep watching.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like im saying it every week, but that episode was crazy as hell. So much was going on.

Also Christina is saying the quiet part out loud. At least she can be honest.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Was that Shoggoth black? That would be a nice touch for him to be a stand in for black outrage against all these shitty white cops.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
"We're surrounded by monsters, Leti."

"I chose a life over a damn asylum. Or a jail cell, or being found dead in a bathroom of some public park."

"You know, son... I always thought my death would come at the end of a white man's bullet or a rope. Magic's so much more jazz."

That episode... wow!!!

Also:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I went back and forth on being terrified by them and laughing my ass off, those kids got moves lol

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very easily the best episode of the season, and possibly the best episode of any show I've watched this year. Fucking wow.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I love how every time a shoggoth shows up, it's with a sign of relief.

Great episode. Also, this is probably the scariest one because of those girls. Pure uncut nightmare fuel.

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
Right as I was trying to accept the show as an anthology, this episodes plot was more about the arch then the one off story.

The little girls were the worst monsters. If they spent less time dancing they could get to more cursing.

I'm wondering how they will explain dead cops, also what the hell were the neighbors doing during the shootout/monster attack?

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been creeped out by a monster like the two girls are creeping me out in a really long time.

and at the end when they "get her" is even worse. Like you can't sleep? ever again? I'm sure we'll find out the preview seemed to deal with them making her sick, I don't want to see them anymore

Last edited:

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Man I thought 'us' had the creepiest kids, but shit this took the cake and then some. While I might admit the dancing probably wasn't the best method for cursing someone it sure was scary as hell!!!!

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, Christina doing that to herself was so she could understand, right? Which makes me think she really does care about Ruby.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
This episode packed in a lot. I thought the Diana stuff was going to play as the main story, but it was sort of the B plot with all the magical stuff happening. A shame she had to fend for herself, but it tied into the social message they were hitting and her confronting the cops was great.

Episode packed in a lot of striking imagery from the sex scene to the ending with Atticus and Leti.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Quick question, Christina doing that to herself was so she could understand, right? Which makes me think she really does care about Ruby.
Great observation! That completely went over my head. I was wondering where they were going with that, but I think that's a smart take. This was a very painful episode to watch. Great execution, and brutally honest.

Last edited:

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I had the exact opposite reaction to those girls. I was laughing my ass of every time they came on screen dancing.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
This was the first episode that I was legit scared watching. Those kids were frightening as fuck.

What an episode from start to finish though, 10/10!

It seems like next episode is them going back in time to the Tulsa massacre? Possibly to find Tic's mother?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
That was awful. Really, really bad. But at least the main plot is going somewhere now.