• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely loved the book (have already read it 3 times), and am enjoying the TV series, but I'm very disappointed that they seem to have taken a "The Running Man" approach to the adaption - take the name of the book and the names of some of the characters, and then write a completely* different story.

* - okay, not as completely different as The Running Man was, but after the first episode the series seems to have less-and-less in common with the book.

yeah. That story of hers is so great. I wonder if it's a budget issue.

Dank Lotion

Oct 27, 2017
That sex scene with Montrose was insulting. I can always tell when a gay sex scene is written by a bunch of straight people. An ounce of spit for lube? Check. Fully clothed? Check. Absolutely zero passion and overly aggressive? Cheeeeck. It's like a horror version of how gay men have sex. This tired cliché should've ended at Brokeback Mountain.

Other than that I thought it was a great episode. Although I must be immune to body horror stuff... I barely bat an eye during the transformation scenes. But let there be a close-up shot of someone getting poked by a needle. 🤢

Last edited:

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
That sex scene with Montrose was insulting. I can always tell when a gay sex scene is written by a bunch of straight people. An ounce of spit for lube? Check. Fully clothed? Check. Absolutely zero passion and overly aggressive? Cheeeeck. It's like a horror version of how gay men have sex. This tired cliché should've ended at Brokeback Mountain.

Other than that I thought it was a great episode. Although I must be immune to body horror stuff... I barely bat an eye during the transformation scenes. But let there be a close-up shot of someone getting poked by a needle. 🤢

That scene confused me. I already don't like sex all that much, and watching that sex scene had me horrified.

rude

Oct 25, 2017

The fact that there ALWAYS has to be a DL man in any sort of black entertainment

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Feel like I missed a ton of cues going into this episode, literally asked my girl if we skipped an episode or something. Outside of the obvious themes going with Ruby and Montrose, was just confused as to what it ended on till I read back some threads.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018

This (correct) reaction from your user name and FrankO is sending me haha. I give the Montrose club scene a pass because I love that Moses Sumney song they used, great choice

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like I missed a ton of cues going into this episode, literally asked my girl if we skipped an episode or something. Outside of the obvious themes going with Ruby and Montrose, was just confused as to what it ended on till I read back some threads.

Same here. The only cue was the bar owner getting a blowjob in the alley way in episode 1, other than that, it felt like it came out of nowhere.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
The museum episode had Tic's friend Tree insinuate Montrose was gay/hanging out with Sammy
Also, in the first episode when the uncle talks about Montrose...

'Your pops, he was...'
'What? He was what?'
'He was... younger. And smaller. He took the brunt of it.' (Talking about the abuse from their father)

The expression on the uncles face makes it seem as if there is something else going on.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
I'm losing interest in the show after really enjoying the book :( if they can't pull of Hippolyta's (fantastic) story then I'm out.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw the advance screening of Sunday's episode. No spoilers, but that was a heck of an episode and I can't wait to discuss it.

And they gave us themed swag.

Dec 11, 2017
I almost bailed after Episode 2 because I didn't like it nearly as much as the first episode, but I'm glad I stuck with it. I liked episodes 1,3, and 5 so I'm curious if this pattern will hold.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read the book... but I'm pretty sure they are doing a Hippolyta episode. You can see it in the "weeks ahead" trailer. She's got some kind of battle armor on (or it looks that way going by her head) and there's scenes of two ancient armies clashing in a desert looking area. I'm assuming this is all related to her name of course.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I just finished episode 5 and caught up with the show. I've been enjoying everything so far. Leti is my favorite so far and also realized that I really haven't sat down and actually watched any Jurnee Smollett work since......Full House lol with the exception of Birds of Prey(I'm sure I've missed some great work from her). But yeah episode 5 twist of Christina and William being the same person was definitely something. I'm definitely in on this series going forward.

Oct 27, 2017
Never played Call of Cthulhu but It totally feels like I am watching a scenario of Arkham Horror play out in live action every episode (except they are explicit about racism). This is just about the most perfect show I could ever ask for.

Yup, I've run a few CoC and ToC games and they are very similar to how this plays out. However I avoid highlighting most of the overt racist stuff mainly because I don't feel I could do it justice.

There are two ways to play Call of Cthulhu or Trail of Cthulhu, purist or pulp. As you can imagine pulp is more action and closer to Indiana Jones in genre, the insanity is temporary and only slows down the Investigators. Purist games tend to wear the Investigators down and it is only a matter of time before the insanity or something else gets them.

This show is closer to pulp, which is fine, a purist show would have probably driven them all mad by now.

Oct 25, 2017
Uncle George was my favorite character and I feel the series would have better if it was about him having lovecraftian encounters.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Cool episode, but I'm wondering how they'll wrap all this up. Seems like it'll be pretty disappointing in the end. That last episode will feel rushed.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Episodes 5 and 6 have been my favorite since the pilot. Show isn't as amazing as I hoped it'd be but it's certainly not boring lol

Is it just me or was that fox at the end bizarre looking? 👀 Beautiful looking show though(including the slightly freaky fox).

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Thai is the one I saw at the drive in, and it was fantastic. But also so different from the rest of the series, almost like a mini movie.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Episodes 5 and 6 have been my favorite since the pilot. Show isn't as amazing as I hoped it'd be but it's certainly not boring lol

Is it just me or was that fox at the end bizarre looking? 👀 Beautiful looking show though(including the slightly freaky fox).
The CGI is "meh" across the board.

Dec 11, 2017
Episode 6 was pretty good.

Last week it was hard for me to enjoy Montrose's journey because we just saw him kill that "two-spirit" character in cold blood.

But this week they deftly handled two main characters doing monstrous things while still making me want them to find happiness.

The CGI is "meh" across the board.
For a TV show, the body metamorphosis in episode 5 looked pretty good.

Last edited: