• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
My only real critique of episode 3 was they did the not unusual 'good ghosts/bad ghosts' thing but didn't dwell on it enough. I'd have preferred more of an acknowledgement that all but one ghost was benevolent before the reveals, it felt a little muddied otherwise (partially due to the episode dealing with more than the ghosts, admittedly).
I will note that the only time the other ghosts bothered Leti it was to warn her about the radiator.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I will note that the only time the other ghosts bothered Leti it was to warn her about the radiator.

Oh yeah, and they otherwise mostly just hang out in the background not doing anything in particular. It's fine, I just would have preferred if they'd found a way to lean into it/acknowledge it more before the climax.

Nov 30, 2017
Did I miss a memo and everyone else knew this was some low budget YA type thing? Admittedly I did avoid reading too much about it beforehand since the premise was so appealing I figured I'd just wait for it and go in as blind as possible.

The first episode showed so much promise, and despite some extremely wobbly CGI at the end I was nevertheless on board thanks to some great period scene setting, writing and performances, not to mention great music and a great theme and premise with some enticing Lovecraft lore sprinkled in.

Tonight I made it about two thirds of the way through episode 2 before I had to turn it off. It went from promising to "WTF is this awful Nickelodeon level garbage?!" in the space of one episode. Wow.

Just me? Does it improve at all?

Nov 13, 2017
Did I miss a memo and everyone else knew this was some low budget YA type thing? Admittedly I did avoid reading too much about it beforehand since the premise was so appealing I figured I'd just wait for it and go in as blind as possible.

The first episode showed so much promise, and despite some extremely wobbly CGI at the end I was nevertheless on board thanks to some great period scene setting, writing and performances, not to mention great music and a great theme and premise with some enticing Lovecraft lore sprinkled in.

Tonight I made it about two thirds of the way through episode 2 before I had to turn it off. It went from promising to "WTF is this awful Nickelodeon level garbage?!" in the space of one episode. Wow.

The last 5 pages of this thread are quite literally about how amazing Episode 3 is and how it's worthy of award recognition...do better please.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really answer the rather obvious subtext of my post, but thanks for the advice ;) I guess I'm too late for the conversation about how bad episode 2 is then.

If there's a bunch of posts saying Episode 3 was great, then clearly the show improved

Rag

Oct 30, 2017

I wasn't wild about episode 2, but episode 3 is fantastic. The characters and performances are great. At least give the next episode a go.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Episode 3 is good insofar as it's more comprehensible than Episode 2. It still has laugh-out-loud terrible CGI (the face in the floor) and a premise that makes basically no sense, but a friend of mine read the book and the show actually improves on that chapter dramatically:

The racist ghost threatens Letitia, who counters by saying if he kills her, she'll haunt the house and then they'll be stuck together forever. Then they play chess.

The show still hasn't found a way to convincingly blend legitimate terrifying racist horror with its fictional hook, so half the episode you're like "ok this is good shit" and then you're subjected to cheesy 90's Are You Afraid Of The Dark throwback.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Episode 3 was an improvement but, yeah, the show has literal wizards, and a element of campy gore with some pretty questionable CGI. I don't think that's going anywhere.

Stick around for the social commentary and the solid main cast.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Tonally, the TV show is all over the place. The acting is so-so, in my opinion, and the first two episodes failed to grab my attention. I do not feel any connection with the protagonists whatsoever...Perhaps does it get better from the third episode onwards, but I am not holding my breath. Went it excited as a Lovercraft's fan...Walked out at the intermission utterly disappointed.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019

For me no, probably dropping the show after watching episode 3. Episode 3 is better, but it still feels like there's 2 different shows being mashed together and the production is all over the place. And I'm constantly asking myself "what on earth is going on", especially after watching episode 2. Maybe the first episode both set the expectations too high and set the wrong expectations for the tone/story, but yeah.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it was really odd in this episode.

I'm not really sure how that fit the scene where it was inserted. Felt like they really wanted to use that at some point, couldn't write a scene around it, so they just randomly picked a scene for it.

Wanted to respond to this post questioning the use of Whitey on the Moon. It really is bizarre that you could watch that scene, where a bunch of white men have their eyes set on the literal heavens at the expense of black people and black bodies, and think it was a random choice.

Crazy. Another great episode.

Fuck.

Loved episode 3. Letty with the baseball bat was perfection, the editing, the slow-mo, the music, her performance... All with the cross burning in the background. Other than the face coming out of the books I thought the CGI was fine in this one, and the creature designs were truly unsettling without ever being shoved in your face.

Little things about Tic's performance too stood out in this ep. Like when Letty says that was her first time, he moves around the bench to comfort her, then nearly stops in his tracks when she confirms that she doesn't regret it. Great stuff from both of them. Shout out to the actor who plays Letty's sister too.

Looking forward to next week.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Absolutely horrible show, in my opinion. The editing/cuts are weird, especially in the the third and most offensive episode. The special effects severely lacking: So much so that I could not contain my laughter at the sight of the house inhabitants in episode 3. I really disliked the acting, which felt forced for the most part, and could not connect with any of the protagonists on account of that, plus the uninteresting dialogue. But the main issue is how completely tonally incoherent this whole mess is: I kept thinking that it was tongue and cheek the whole time, so stifled and uninspired everything had gotten. I am still unsure whether this tried to embrace its schlockiness, because schlocky it undeniably is.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I personally love the genre-of-the-week format. It's a total throwback, and I am here for it.

Cabin in the woods
Cultists
Haunted House
Indiana Jones style tomb raiding

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I personally love the genre-of-the-week format. It's a total throwback, and I am here for it.

Cabin in the woods
Cultists
Haunted House
Indiana Jones style tomb raiding

Yeah! And it's amazing how they're sticking to modern Lovecraftian tropes: ancient lodges full of sorcerers, libraries, a museum heist... And like you say: a hunted house, an old tomb full of traps... This show is definitely scratching that itch! I love it!

That last episode was great.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I like how each episode feels completely different from the last. I'm probably gonna have to rewatch this Indiana Jones one later, I felt overwhelmed lol. The show's kind of all over the place but I can't look away. The more I watch, the more it reminds me of True Blood with racial themes.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Yeah, I like how each episode feels completely different from the last. I'm probably gonna have to rewatch this Indiana Jones one later, I felt overwhelmed lol. The show's kind of all over the place but I can't look away. The more I watch, the more it reminds me of True Blood with racial themes.

Haven't watched the show yet but this is definitely how the book feels for sure.

Oct 26, 2017
WTF? The new episode dropped early out of nowhere!

The plank scene was intense as hell. I am a bit confused by the distance in the tunnels because
it's mentioned off-hand that it's a 15 hour drive to Boston from Chicago, but the path that leads to the spoopy house elevator feels like a couple hour trek at most. I'll chalk that up to magic.

And am I making the right assumption that
Lady Brightwaithe and her brother are the same person or what?

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
At her mansion, when she walks behind some kind of structure and the next second her brother appears from the other side to beat up the cops that were stalking her.

Oh right! Yeah! I missed that detail. I just rewatched that part.

We hear her opening the door to the house and close it. Then immediately after we hear the door open again and see her brother. So maybe. There's definitely something weird going on.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
WTF? The new episode dropped early out of nowhere!

The plank scene was intense as hell. I am a bit confused by the distance in the tunnels because
it's mentioned off-hand that it's a 15 hour drive to Boston from Chicago, but the path that leads to the spoopy house elevator feels like a couple hour trek at most. I'll chalk that up to magic.

And am I making the right assumption that
Lady Brightwaithe and her brother are the same person or what?
Yes. They've never even been in the same scene together.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh right! Yeah! I missed that detail. I just rewatched that part.

We hear her opening the door to the house and close it. Then immediately after we hear the door open again and see her brother. So maybe. There's definitely something weird going on.
Yes. They've never even been in the same scene together.

So many questions lol

Also, this was the first episode where the anachronistic music choices didn't work for me. But the off-hand mention of a
time machine
is making me second guess these music decisions.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The time machine is going to be used to either:

1. Bring back Uncle George
2. Put the main cast in modern times, where race relations are "better"

or both

Last edited:

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The time machine is going to be used to either:

1. Bring back Uncle George
2. As a vehicle to put the main cast in modern times, where race relations are "better"

or both
Or maybe take us to the modern time and show that not much has changed, the KKK is still here but just with a different name

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
yaDzILY.gif

Retrosmith

Mar 2, 2020
Watched the first ep yesterday, guess this just isn't my cup of tea or I somehow misunderstood the whole thing. The acting was pretty good.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Last week Leti told Atticus that them having sex was her first time. This week she reminded Tree that the two of them fucked in high school. ....uhhhh, did the writers not collaborate on that one or did I misinterpret something? Lol.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
Last week Leti told Atticus that them having sex was her first time. This week she reminded Tree that the two of them fucked in high school. ....uhhhh, did the writers not collaborate on that one or did I misinterpret something? Lol.
He lied about fucking her previously and she was throwing that back in his face.