• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cops at the end

DDyC.gif

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
why did the cop ask how he knew his name and freak out? Wasn't he the one who just pulled them over?

edit: after seeing the preview.. what thefuck am i watching?! I didn't realize it would be such a fantasy show. Amazing

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the dynamic between Jonathan Majors, Jurnee Smollett, and Courtney B. Vance. Bring on next week.

tenor.gif

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Loved it, fun cast and like how the show balances its fantastical elements with the grounded horrors of Jim Crow America. Fun allegories, good writing, and didn't skimp out on the human or the Lovecraft element. Excited for the rest!

Were also just a number of great scenes.

As a book reader I was rather confused by the opening, which suggested some pretty wild departures from the source material, but then I figured it was a dream shortly before that was revealed. Also clever to have the Dejah Thoris lookalike appear before revealing that he fell asleep reading A Princess of Mars.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
That was great. I really enjoyed that first episode. I also especially liked that they called out Lovecraft's racism.

The preview for the rest of the season looked really cool.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Loved the first episode. If you guys enjoyed it, think about leaving a positive IMDb rating. It's getting unsurprisingly review bombed for daring to have black people In it and mentioning Lovecraft's racism

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
That was great. I really enjoyed that first episode. I also especially liked that they called out Lovecraft's racism.

The preview for the rest of the season looked really cool.
There should be a lot more calling out due to the source material. The original book was inspired by an internal conflict in the author as he grew up loving Lovecraft's works, but also conflicted over the clearly racist content (both blantant and in the subtext) the stories have. The opening (after the dream) where they talk about a novel about an ex-confedetate soldier works as a good opener for that core thematic, how he really loves pulp fiction and all of these elements in the story, but you can't remove the hatred and racism within it. Which the original novel did a great job at integrating Lovecraft's themes with racism, and looks like the series shall do the same.

Oct 28, 2017
I could watch a movie about Jackie Robinson beating the shit out of Cthulhu with a baseball bat.

I started the book last week and am almost finished with it.The book has me sucked in and the show is just as good as the book so far. I'm interested in seeing where the show is going to go with this season based on how the book is structured. I've noticed a few things so far in that trailer at the end.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Hell of a first episode. Really looking forward to how they adapt some of the later parts of the book.

Oct 26, 2017
Loved it. Super excited to see where they go with this show.

We were so worried they were gonna do Courtney B. dirty and kill him off in the first episode. I was like 65% sure they wouldn't cast an actor of his caliber for half an episode.
The moment he told his wife over the phone that he'd take her on the next trip I thought he was doomed to die.
Maaaaaaan, he looked like he was getting all kinds of death flags.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
There should be a lot more calling out due to the source material. The original book was inspired by an internal conflict in the author as he grew up loving Lovecraft's works, but also conflicted over the clearly racist content (both blantant and in the subtext) the stories have. The opening (after the dream) where they talk about a novel about an ex-confedetate soldier works as a good opener for that core thematic, how he really loves pulp fiction and all of these elements in the story, but you can't remove the hatred and racism within it. Which the original novel did a great job at integrating Lovecraft's themes with racism, and looks like the series shall do the same.
Yeah, the opening really stuck out for me. I haven't read the book, but I definitely see what you're saying. Having Jackie Robinson show up to slay the monster in Atticus' dream was really great. He was seen as a hero for Black people in that era, and having him be a part of his fantasy to save the day was really moving.

Aug 27, 2018
That first episode has me completely hooked, the absolutely terrifying era where just being black could mean any number of terrible outcomes (I guess things haven't exactly changed much in that aspect) and that switch at the end of the episode to WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING is awesome. I'm completely in, this is 100% a bunch of stuff thrown together that I'm absolutely in to. Can't wait to watch this weekly. If it all got released tonight I doubt I'd stop before I finished it in a sitting.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Just finished the 1st episode, I liked the fact they didn't waste time in getting the crew out on their adventure and kept the momentum going. Great opening and great way to close out, leaving you excited for episode 2.