• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Confederate, HBO's controversial series that was to imagine a time after the Civil War where the South won, is no longer in development at HBO, according to Vulture.

Sources with knowledge of the project told Vulture that showrunners D.B. Weiss and David Benioff don't have any series left at HBO following their move to Netflix. Weiss and Benioff, who are best known for creating Game of Thrones, announced Confederate as their next project at HBO in 2017. The announcement was met with immediate criticism from people who voiced concerns over whether Benioff and Weiss were the right people to handle the show. HBO chief Casey Bloys later admitted the network could have done a better job rolling out the announcement, but he hoped "that people will reserve judgment until there is something to see."
I know some people were wondering this after the Netflix deal. Looks like this confirms it.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
don't worry, whatever they end up developing for netflix will no doubt be just as ill-conceived, or as poorly executed as the last few seasons of GoT. these dudes are failing all the way to the top, babyyyyy

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Shit was dead after the backlash, super dead when those guys got Star wars, Super hyper dead when the rest of the writers got Disney+ gigs, and Mega Ultra dead after D&D got netflix money

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Thank God for that. Those guys don't have the skills to properly handle the themes in such setting

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
don't worry, whatever they end up developing for netflix will no doubt be just as ill-conceived, or as poorly executed as the last few seasons of GoT. these dudes are failing all the way to the top, babyyyyy
To be fair I don't think HBO > Netflix is failing to the top. It's not a big downgrade (and it may not be a downgrade in pay) but it's a downgrade.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair I don't think HBO > Netflix is failing to the top. It's not a big downgrade (and it may not be a downgrade in pay) but it's a downgrade.
I think that depends entirely on how much they're being paid. I don't think that prestige gap is as big, in people's perception, as it used to be. Also, the deal is just them "developing" shows, which probably means they're getting paid big bucks to develop a concept, maybe write and direct a pilot, then hand it off to other showrunners while they keep cashing fat Executive Producer credits for doing fuck-all. But that's my pessimism talking, maybe I'm wrong. but between getting Star Wars and this, I don't see how they can be meaningfully involved in a mega-blockbuster movie franchise and several shows at once.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Thank God. After how bad Season 8 of Game of Thrones was, there was no chance that they could have executed this mess well at all, much less in a respectful or dignified manner.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I think that depends entirely on how much they're being paid. I don't think that prestige gap is as big, in people's perception, as it used to be. Also, the deal is just them "developing" shows, which probably means they're getting paid big bucks to develop a concept, maybe write and direct a pilot, then hand it off to other showrunners while they keep cashing fat Executive Producer credits for doing fuck-all. But that's my pessimism talking, maybe I'm wrong. but between getting Star Wars and this, I don't see how they can be meaningfully involved in a mega-blockbuster movie franchise and several shows at once.
I don't think we're on a different page here. The prestige gap is very small, but it's still there. And they may be getting paid more than they were. I just don't think it's clearly 'upwards'. HBO to anywhere else on TV is downwards.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
I hate the last season(s) of got as much as the next resetera guy,but come on people get some perspective they are the creators of the most successful tv show of the last decade,theres no studio in the world which wont greenlit whatever the fuck they want no questions asked including a confederate tv show.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Rumours are that Netflix paid 100M each for the move, they sure have money to spend, huh

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I could have sworn this was cancelled ages ago, guess they just put it on the down low after the announcement reaction. Can't imagine what a train wreck of a creation it would have been.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
The forum is still salty about D&D I see. I mean, the last season of GoT was rushed, but I don't put all the blame on them, but I equally also blame actors wanting new things, GRRM for not having any new material in 8 years and the public for unreasonable expectations.
D&D are money makers, so obviously everyone wants them.
As for the Confederate series, I believe is best for everyone that is cancelled. No more fuel for white supremacists is needed.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool

There's a real question of how much creative involvement they'll even have at this point. They'll probably just sit back on the Star Wars stuff and Lucas it the fuck out to all the other production departments.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And nothing of value was lost.

Still don't even remotely give a shit about whatever D&D are doing next, though. Zero faith in those dopes.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alternate history stuff can be fun (see Man in the High Castle), but the setting of this one just doesn't work currently due to the ramping up of BS lately thanks to Trump and his ilk

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Already done as mockumentary in 2004.

The entire thing is available on YT. The racist ads were ...um... yeah..I'm not providing a link.

There was a point to the racist ads. This movie is really well done and a great watch.

Not going to lie, I don't really know too much about these two showrunners but the concept had me intrigued. Man in the High Castle is really good and shows how scary that world would be, I was hoping for something similar with this.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
source.gif